Photo

Capric Triglyceride, Ceteareth-20 And Cetearyl Alcohol.

2 replies to this topic

#1 RainStars

RainStars

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 February 2012 - 11:11 AM

I'm looking for a moisturizer that is non-comedogenic and I'm feeling very confused.

I've read that Ceteareth-20 and Cetearyl Alcohol and Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride are highly comedogenic. Is that accurate?

If it is comedogenic, why do manufacturers state 'non-comedogenic' on a product yet include these ingredients? I've heard that there isn't an approved or regulated standard for that assertion?

Cetaphil Moisturising Lotion For Face And Body.
It has "Ceteareth-20" and "Cetearyl Alcohol" in it, not together, but kind of close together.

CeraVe Moisturizing Lotion.
"Ceteareth-20 and Cetearyl Alcohol" listed as the fifth ingredient. It also has "Capric/caprylic triglyceride" as the third. CeraVe Moisturizing Lotion is highly rated on this site, and all over the internet. Hmmmm

#2 gemmyjunebug

gemmyjunebug

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:I can find anything interesting. Perception. Reasoning. Reality. In that order.

Achievements

Posted 03 February 2012 - 01:00 PM

I'm looking for a moisturizer that is non-comedogenic and I'm feeling very confused.

I've read that Ceteareth-20 and Cetearyl Alcohol and Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride are highly comedogenic. Is that accurate?

If it is comedogenic, why do manufacturers state 'non-comedogenic' on a product yet include these ingredients? I've heard that there isn't an approved or regulated standard for that assertion?

Cetaphil Moisturising Lotion For Face And Body.
It has "Ceteareth-20" and "Cetearyl Alcohol" in it, not together, but kind of close together.

CeraVe Moisturizing Lotion.
"Ceteareth-20 and Cetearyl Alcohol" listed as the fifth ingredient. It also has "Capric/caprylic triglyceride" as the third. CeraVe Moisturizing Lotion is highly rated on this site, and all over the internet. Hmmmm

That is a great question! I just now realized my CeraVe cleanser has this listed in the ingredients. I've gone 2 weeks without a cleanser and just water. My skin looks fine. I just somehow think this was leaving a weird film on my face? Also, I noticed if I get this facewash on my lips it burns? Hmmmm, is right! But it's in everything!
I laugh a lot. It's a requirement in my world. You're welcome anytime....'Ello loves!

#3 RainStars

RainStars

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 February 2012 - 04:44 AM

From what I have worked out so far I think that...

Cetearyl alcohol + Ceteareth-20 together like it's written here is the worst.
Ceteareth-20 can be bad.
Cetearyl Alcohol isn't very comedogenic.
Cetyl Alcohol isn't very comedogenic.

Now, moving on, I've been told that coconut oil is very comedogenic. I think that Capric/caprylic triglyceride is fractionated coconut oil, I'm guessing that makes it less comedogenic? I'm not an expert so I may be wrong about exactly what it is and if it's comedogenic. It's one to look out for so when I choose a product I treat Capric/caprylic triglyceride as possibly comedogenic.

Maybe people trust 'non comedogenic' products without thinking too much about the ingredients? That could explain why the moisturizer with both these ingredients in is highly rated. If it does a great job at moisturizing people will love it and of course it says comedogenic so if they break out the blame is going to be placed on another product... Or, maybe they just aren't very comedogenic at all and I'm being super paranoid haha. Posted Image

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users