Photo

Don't Know What Caused My Reaction To Neutrogena. Help?

cleanser beauty neutrogena

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 KesterBester

KesterBester

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 February 2012 - 11:07 AM

Hi everyone! I'm new here, so I didn't know where to look for answers, or if anybody else has had this problem before, too. Anyway, here's what happened:

I bought a bottle of Neutrogena naturals cleanser the other day thinking that it would be better for my skin than other cleansers. Apparently I was wrong. I used it that night, and when I was done, my face got really red and splotchy, and felt like it was on fire! My face has never reacted like that to a product, and I don't want it to happen again. I have no idea what could've caused it, so if anybody has any ideas, I'd really appreciate it! Here are the list of ingredients -

Ingredients: Water, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Decyl Glucoside, Glycerin, Cocamidopropyl Hydroxysultaine, Sodium Lauryl Sulfoacetate, Salix Alba (Willow) Bark Extract, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Sodium Benzoate, Fragrance

Whew! Doesn't sound so natural now that I actually read the ingredients...anybody have any ideas? Thank you!

#2 gemmyjunebug

gemmyjunebug

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:51 PM

1. I would first call out the use of Fragrance. If your sensitive at all this could trigger a reaction. Why fragrance is added to facial products still blows my mind.
2. Cocamidopropyl Hydroxysultaine. A very cheap but yet effective foaming agent. Though can cause allergic reactions in some sensitive skin.
3. Salix Alba Willow Bark Extract. A cleansing ingredient and anti-inflammatory. I believe it contains salycic acid(SA) a BHA. I'd have to double check. But generally speaking it is quite mild and most % of skin can handle SA. Considering it's not an active ingredient and pretty far down on the list it shouldn't raise red flags. That being said, SA is a derivative of aspirin. Any allergies to aspirin could cause concern.
4. Cocamidopropyl Betaine. A surfactant that comes from coconut oil, and it's a common ingredient in many liquid skin cleansers. Cocamidopropyl betaine generally does not cause skin irritation. However, once again-some people can have allergic reactions to the chemical compound.
So, as you see everyone can react differently. What works for some may not work for you. Natural by no means always means better when it comes to cosmetic products. Dirt is natural but I wouldn't rub it on my face. Posted Image Some of the most natural products or should I say assumed natural products have caused my skin the worst reactions.
If you were using a facial cleanser prior to this cleanser/reaction do a side by side glance and see how the ingredients measure up. If said ingredients were in your last cleanser and you did fine by those you more than likely can rule them out. Other than that use plain old water for a few days and give your perdy face some rest!

#3 KesterBester

KesterBester

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 February 2012 - 03:32 PM

Fragrance was my first thought, too. But I wasn't sure if something else could've been the culprit. I'll definitely do a side by side comparison with the two (don't know why I didn't think of that!) Thank you so much for your advice! :)

#4 ayla

ayla

dum spiro, spero

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6
About Me

Posted 05 February 2012 - 11:20 PM

sodium benzoate - the sodium salt of benzoic acid -a really common irritant. Have you ever used a perfume oil and had a reaction? Likely the same thing. It originated from a tree called the Styrax Benzoin tree. The tree's sap has been used as both a fixative in perfumes and a preservative in cosmetic formulations for centuries, but it does have a high rate of reacitivity.

#5 gemmyjunebug

gemmyjunebug

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:39 AM

sodium benzoate - the sodium salt of benzoic acid -a really common irritant. Have you ever used a perfume oil and had a reaction? Likely the same thing. It originated from a tree called the Styrax Benzoin tree. The tree's sap has been used as both a fixative in perfumes and a preservative in cosmetic formulations for centuries, but it does have a high rate of reacitivity.

Really? Hmm, I thought it was a salt preservative used in food and cosmetics? Wow, you learn something new everyday. I suppose it is a chemical compound that being the benzoic part. Very interesting.
Oddly enough I hated chemistry. The irony. I feel like a chemist most days trying to break down ingredients in the drug store isles. Once, just once, I wish I could just buy a product because I think the package is sweet and cute. <sigh>
Thanks for the heads upPosted Image I will check my products....again!

#6 ayla

ayla

dum spiro, spero

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:07 AM

Really? Hmm, I thought it was a salt preservative used in food and cosmetics? Wow, you learn something new everyday. I suppose it is a chemical compound that being the benzoic part. Very interesting.
Oddly enough I hated chemistry. The irony. I feel like a chemist most days trying to break down ingredients in the drug store isles. Once, just once, I wish I could just buy a product because I think the package is sweet and cute. <sigh>

Yup, it's a new chemical created when benzoic acid is chelated with sodium hydroxide. It's lab synthesized, so it's nothing that ever would have occurred in nature - that said, I wouldn't be all that concerned about it unless you are reacting to it - though I see no redeeming qualities in that cleanser.

It looks like it would really strip the skin, destroy the acid mantle and leave you more prone to irritation and thus acne than ever.

If you need something that foams to feels clean - go for the decyl glucoside. It is lab created, from corn sugar, but has zero DNA interference and is not stripping. You can find it straight up in California Baby, Rainbow Kids, and probably some others.

I never finished HS, I think I would have loved chemistry.

#7 gemmyjunebug

gemmyjunebug

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:19 AM

Yup, it's a new chemical created when benzoic acid is chelated with sodium hydroxide. It's lab synthesized, so it's nothing that ever would have occurred in nature - that said, I wouldn't be all that concerned about it unless you are reacting to it - though I see no redeeming qualities in that cleanser.

It looks like it would really strip the skin, destroy the acid mantle and leave you more prone to irritation and thus acne than ever.

If you need something that foams to feels clean - go for the decyl glucoside. It is lab created, from corn sugar, but has zero DNA interference and is not stripping. You can find it straight up in California Baby, Rainbow Kids, and probably some others.

Which makes sense- I didn't see anything listed to balance the PH.
I always wanted to try the CaliBaby products. More so for a facewash. What's your rec?

#8 ayla

ayla

dum spiro, spero

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:46 AM

Which makes sense- I didn't see anything listed to balance the PH.
I always wanted to try the CaliBaby products. More so for a facewash. What's your rec?

http://www.iherb.com...1-ml/39843?at=0

This. Super mild, contains
Saponins - from the soap bark and yucca that actually help the dermis knit back together by pulling the cell walls closer to each other,
Calendula - used for centuries to soothe and heal broken and inflamed skin
Viola - some evidence that it can strengthen capillaries, doubt it would topically for the time it's left on - but whatever
Lavender, Clary Sage - very mild non-invasive antibacterial action that stimulates your body's immune system
Hydrolized Quinoa Protein - can actually bond with your skin and aid in keratin formation
Jojoba Oil - helps to replenish any oil lost unduly in the cleansing process

#9 daisydukes

daisydukes

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:07 AM

I purchased the Neutrogena naturals scrub (felt very gentle) a few months ago, and every couple weeks I got red rings around my eyes, sort of like a chemical burn. Because this wasn't consistent it took awhile to conclude that the cleanser was the problem. I switched to Cetaphil and haven't had the problem since.