Photo

Hair Line Pimples..uugh.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 gemmyjunebug

gemmyjunebug

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 03 February 2012 - 08:47 AM

As of lately I've been getting red pimples scattered through out my hairline. Mostly on the sides of my hair and temples. I'm convinced it's my shampoo not doing it's job or my conditioner. Hard to say? Mostly because I do not put conditioner on my scalp-just the lower half of my long hair. That being said, it's still possible. I've also been using Redkens Anti-Snap. Which I love. Though, this could be adding to the problem as well. My other assumption-my dry shampoo. Maybe it's building up on my scalp and my SLS free shampoo isn't washing it out properly. I also think this particular dry shampoo is adding to my dry scalp on sides of my hair where I am getting these said pimples. I looked up the ingredients and the second or third was Alcohol Dent. Yep, that will absorb oil but probably dry out my scalp in the process. Like I said, there are many factors involved here..just need some advice or suggestions. Hairline pimples are respectfully just annoying. One or two can happen. But I'm getting one or two new ones everyday. That for me is not normal or okay.
~Here is of late my hair care products that I've been using:
Pureology Essential Repair
Pureology Light Hydrate
Redkens Anti-Snap
Tresseme Dry Shampoo

**I've switched to an anti-dandruff Neutrogena's 2 in1 to help with what I thought was dandruff. However, I'm thinking it's just dry scalp.
I also still maintain my Pureology Light Hydrate. But 86 the Redken anti-snap.

#2 tracy521

tracy521

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 February 2012 - 09:27 AM

you know i was getting those alot when i started using garnier hair serum with argon oil and then when i stopped using it everything went back to normal. i use the pureology repair shampoo and conditioner and have no problems at all but i do notice if i go more than 3 days without washing i start to get bumps but most of them are on my head. maybe it is the dry shampoo. just get some talcum powder and use that if your hair gets a little greasy.

#3 gemmyjunebug

gemmyjunebug

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 03 February 2012 - 10:51 AM

you know i was getting those alot when i started using garnier hair serum with argon oil and then when i stopped using it everything went back to normal. i use the pureology repair shampoo and conditioner and have no problems at all but i do notice if i go more than 3 days without washing i start to get bumps but most of them are on my head. maybe it is the dry shampoo. just get some talcum powder and use that if your hair gets a little greasy.

Thanks for the reply! I tried the Pureology Argon oil or maybe it was Redken? I got these pimples then tooo? Forgot about that. Hmm, maybe leave in products are causing the problems more than the Shampoo/Conditioner. I'm thinking .....

#4 tracy521

tracy521

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 February 2012 - 11:07 AM

yeah i would think it was the leave in products as well so maybe try eliminating it for now to see if that helps. keep me updated

#5 gemmyjunebug

gemmyjunebug

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 04 February 2012 - 11:43 AM

yeah i would think it was the leave in products as well so maybe try eliminating it for now to see if that helps. keep me updated

Okay so here is the skinny from my Beauty genius who does my hair: The dry scalp was never really dry scalp...it was product build up. Gross right? The hairline pimples are in the exact same spots on both sides of my hairline and skoosh in the temples.
The leave in products that I was using were not causing the pimples but at the same time they were creating a sh*t storm for the possibility.
This is how he broke it down for me--I use SLS free shampoo and the corresponding conditioner. Great. I knew that when I bought them exactly for that reason. They are gentler on the scalp and for many other reasons they ( sales people-which are really good I may add=) shot off as being a great reason switch. Which I still believe.
However, they never informed that some products (mostly those that contain silicones) aren't as easily removed with an SLS free shampoo. Which is why I stated earlier they did and they didn't. They did cause product buildup because they were not being removed. I believe 99% that if I were to use them again, and switch shampoo I would be fine.
My understanding is certain products as in silicones can be removed easily with an SLS free shampoo and some can not. Some cones are water soluble and some are detergent based. I am not 100% on that so don't quote the messenger. Posted Image I do know that there are some detergent based conditioners that you can wash your hair with and skip the whole shampoo method all together. Also, most shampoos are 2 in 1 and there is really no need to condition unless you feel the need too. Which is crazy! I could never get a brush through my hair. (but that's a whole other story)
End story: I use products in my hair. I have to. My hair is limp, fine, fly away, and I guess I just prefer texture in my hair. I never had scalp problems before using a SLS based shampoo so I will more than likely switch back to doing so. I honestly have had MORE scalp problems using an SLS Free. So, again it goes to show everyone is different. That and I honestly to do not have the time nor the patience to weed through my leave in products ingredient list to see whether or not they coincide with my shampoos/conditioner.
I've used 2x Neutrogena 2 in 1 for Dry Scalp( I believe the active ingredient is P.Zinc) and all is clearing up splendid. I will continue to use for another week just clear this mess up and find once again another shampoo/conditioner (detergent based) that I like...
Moral of my story: High end SLS free sucked for ME.

Edited by gemmyjunebug, 04 February 2012 - 11:44 AM.

#6 tracy521

tracy521

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 February 2012 - 03:01 PM

wow that is good to know but crazy huh? glad to hear your skin is clearing up too! i bet you are glad about that.

#7 mrjarjarbinks77

mrjarjarbinks77

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 05 February 2012 - 07:44 PM

I wouldn't care, just brush your hair so, it hides it just know, it could make it more irritated though. I wish for stuff like this over stuff on my face or cheeks since, you cannot hide it. My hair as a guy isn't anywhere near that long.

#8 gemmyjunebug

gemmyjunebug

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:04 AM

wow that is good to know but crazy huh? glad to hear your skin is clearing up too! i bet you are glad about that.

I'm very happy! A little PO though that they kinda left that little piece of info out of the sales pitch. Considering they know me and my hair...and now when I think back to the day I purchased them I'm almost 100% certain I asked about cleansing and product build-up. Oh well! Moving on and happy that it's clearing up. What's crazy is I'm not a huge product junkie to begin with-I never use hairspray, gel, mousse, etc. I use the anti-snap that they rec'd w/the products and my dry shampoo. Uugh.
So now I'm on the hunt for a new shampoo/conditioner.

#9 gemmyjunebug

gemmyjunebug

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:09 PM

***UPDATE***
Neutrogena 2 in 1 is hands down the best Shampoo for hairline acne, dry scalp, build up, that I ever tried! I would highly rec this to anyone-esp. those who struggle with build up of products or makeup that reaches your hairline. Cleared mine up like a charm. 1 week later and my scalp is free and clear of any residue, flakes, and pimples. It most def is a treating and clarifying shampoo. Which overuse can definitely strip your hair and over dry your scalp. Even though, it does say daily... I would take that as until your problem clears and then proceed with 1 or 2x a week. Considering I have the sensitive of sensitive scalp and skin this did nothing but actually work brilliantly. I do follow up with a light conditioner on my ends because my hair is long....though I would anyway. Thought I'd share!
*Purchased Bumble and Bumble Seaweed Shampoo/Conditioner based a rec. Cannot wait to try it out!

#10 diareads

diareads

DiaReads

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 5
About Me

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:05 PM

I found out id get some due to the ingredients. Like jojoba in products and stuff in most gels dont agree with me.