Photo

How Many Cavities Or Fillings Have You Had?

beta carotene

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
36 replies to this topic

#1 AutonomousOne1980

AutonomousOne1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:15 PM

just wondering if anyone could give me some general info on your dental health and how it may relate to your skin health. obviously the sampling will not be random, as i assume everyone here has some sort of acne. but if i could find someone with sevre acne for a long time, with zero cavities, that would disprove the connection i am trying to make. the connection is between salivary iga levels, and beta-carotene intake, as salivary iga is dependant upon beta carotene, and helps keep the bacteria in order in your mouth. i hypothesize that dental health may somewhat be associated with acne, as carotenoids have a "supposedly" great role in healthy skin. hence the development of a carotenoid derivitave, accutane, to treat acne and skin cancers. of course im trying to find evidence against this so if you have real bad acne, and never had a cavity, that would help me make progress here by disproving the hypothesis.

so post the number of cavities and a general measure of acne severity, thanks.

Edited by AutonomousOne1980, 02 February 2012 - 09:16 PM.

#1.critical nutritional issues- b12(three forms exist), Calcium(yogurt, cheese or calcium phosphate supps) and vitamin d(sun or supps not to exceed 1000 iu). heme iron-most absorbable from meat only, clams are high. these are the most difficult vitamins to get and absorb. All others or about the same in difficulty in absorption. MAgnesium in our food supply is generally low as well, try natural calm supps.
#2 Fats- monounsaturated should dominate(olives), followed by polyunsaturated plant sources(nuts) but not if you have acne. the health benefits of fish oil and fish are controversial and i dont consume them due to mercury contamination and immune supression avoid processed fats if possible.
#3 Protein/amino acids- dairy and eggs best sources for tryptophan and methionine which convert to powerful antioxidants melatonin and glutathione.
#4 Carotenoids- alpha- beta carotene, beta cryptoxanthin, lutein zeaxanthin, astaxanthin. these are vital to human nutrition, carrots, butternut squash, pumpkin, chili pepper and cayenne pepper are the best sources.
#5 Regularity-BM at least once a day, Moist, large stools, 1 piece ideal, no maldigestion, no floating stools indicative of maldigested fat. HOW- insoluble fiber- wheat and cooked vegetables. soluble fiber-oats/ good bacteria ferment soluble fiber making short chain fatty acids that inhibit pathogens.
#6 Circadian cycles-Light, get up with the sun, and expose your entire body to it. darkness-melatonin is released upon the sensing of absolute darkness. sleep in a pitch black room, try to ensure 10 hours total darkness, wear sunglasses before bed. do not eat too late at night.
#7 Desirable physiological states(positive moods/emotions) do precisely what you like and what feels good to you, but not regardless of consequences, just from a perspective that, you own your life, and can determine precisely what you do with it and need not answer or ask of permission from anyone,achieving maximum autonomy and self government.

#2 FaceValues

FaceValues

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 16
About Me

Achievements

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:23 PM

I have approximately 5 metal fillings, which are of much more concern to me than the amount of cavities I have (which last time I got a diagnostic from a dentist, was 11? I think). My acne has always been moderate.

Instead of looking for the right person, become the right person.

If you treat your self/symptom with a lot more compassion, you'll find your skin heals much faster when it's not constantly in store for a thrashin'. Rather than blasting the sound of what you're currently treating your face with, the case may be you just need to change the station and re-evaluate you and your skin's relationship . It's easier than you think to relate with, because much like mainstream radio emotions always make for underrated yet relevant statements.

My website is in progress and will probably benefit you in some way.

#3 IWishIHadClearSkin

IWishIHadClearSkin

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 8
About Me

Achievements

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:24 PM

When i was little i had a lot because i ate so much candy and stuff... but now since i cut out on all those junk (cuz of acne of course) i only get maybe like 1 every year? idk
If you are reading this, then I have successfully distracted you.

#4 FaceValues

FaceValues

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:25 PM

Actually I think I have way more fillings than that, probably closer to 11. Maybe a couple new cavities since I've last seen the dentist.

If you treat your self/symptom with a lot more compassion, you'll find your skin heals much faster when it's not constantly in store for a thrashin'. Rather than blasting the sound of what you're currently treating your face with, the case may be you just need to change the station and re-evaluate you and your skin's relationship . It's easier than you think to relate with, because much like mainstream radio emotions always make for underrated yet relevant statements.

#5 AutonomousOne1980

AutonomousOne1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:27 PM

Actually I think I have way more fillings than that, probably closer to 11. Maybe a couple new cavities since I've last seen the dentist.

how long have you had acne that was problematic?

just wondering if anyone could give me some general info on your dental health and how it may relate to your skin health. obviously the sampling will not be random, as i assume everyone here has some sort of acne. but if i could find someone with sevre acne for a long time, with zero cavities, that would disprove the connection i am trying to make. the connection is between salivary iga levels, and beta-carotene intake, as salivary iga is dependant upon beta carotene, and helps keep the bacteria in order in your mouth. i hypothesize that dental health may somewhat be associated with acne, as carotenoids have a "supposedly" great role in healthy skin. hence the development of a carotenoid derivitave, accutane, to treat acne and skin cancers. of course im trying to find evidence against this so if you have real bad acne, and never had a cavity, that would help me make progress here by disproving the hypothesis.

so post the number of cavities and a general measure of acne severity, thanks.

Edited by AutonomousOne1980, 02 February 2012 - 09:26 PM.

#1.critical nutritional issues- b12(three forms exist), Calcium(yogurt, cheese or calcium phosphate supps) and vitamin d(sun or supps not to exceed 1000 iu). heme iron-most absorbable from meat only, clams are high. these are the most difficult vitamins to get and absorb. All others or about the same in difficulty in absorption. MAgnesium in our food supply is generally low as well, try natural calm supps.
#2 Fats- monounsaturated should dominate(olives), followed by polyunsaturated plant sources(nuts) but not if you have acne. the health benefits of fish oil and fish are controversial and i dont consume them due to mercury contamination and immune supression avoid processed fats if possible.
#3 Protein/amino acids- dairy and eggs best sources for tryptophan and methionine which convert to powerful antioxidants melatonin and glutathione.
#4 Carotenoids- alpha- beta carotene, beta cryptoxanthin, lutein zeaxanthin, astaxanthin. these are vital to human nutrition, carrots, butternut squash, pumpkin, chili pepper and cayenne pepper are the best sources.
#5 Regularity-BM at least once a day, Moist, large stools, 1 piece ideal, no maldigestion, no floating stools indicative of maldigested fat. HOW- insoluble fiber- wheat and cooked vegetables. soluble fiber-oats/ good bacteria ferment soluble fiber making short chain fatty acids that inhibit pathogens.
#6 Circadian cycles-Light, get up with the sun, and expose your entire body to it. darkness-melatonin is released upon the sensing of absolute darkness. sleep in a pitch black room, try to ensure 10 hours total darkness, wear sunglasses before bed. do not eat too late at night.
#7 Desirable physiological states(positive moods/emotions) do precisely what you like and what feels good to you, but not regardless of consequences, just from a perspective that, you own your life, and can determine precisely what you do with it and need not answer or ask of permission from anyone,achieving maximum autonomy and self government.

#6 FaceValues

FaceValues

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:27 PM

how long have you had acne that was problematic?

7 years total, I think it started getting the most problematic for me like 5-6 years ago though.

#7 outofoptions

outofoptions

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:31 PM

I am 25, never had a cavity, but still have acne. I can keep it somewhat under control through diet, but I always have some zits on my face.

Edited by outofoptions, 02 February 2012 - 09:31 PM.

#8 jennifer36

jennifer36

every moment is a gift of life

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 19
About Me

Achievements

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:35 PM

I have had acne for 9-10 years, severe at times. It was most severe probably around age 16-19, a course of accutane briefly cleared me and my acne came back in May-June of 2011, around 6 months after my course. It's more or less under control due to diet changes now.

I have zero fillings and have never had a cavity.
my regimen:

am
wash face+chest+back with UMF 16+ manuka honey
tone with chamomile lavender tea

pm
home made grey kaolin clay, manuka honey & tea tree oil mask for 30+ minutes
spot treat with 50/50 jojoba and tea tree oil

avoiding dairy, soy, high sodium, refined sugars, processed foods since September 2011. more recently peanuts, gluten and citrus as well.

I am 90-95% clear, and still improving.

#9 lostlaika

lostlaika

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:41 PM

I've only had one cavity and it was way before I had acne when I was like 8. I also never floss and don't take the best care in the world of my mouth, but I never have any real plaque buildup or anything, and the dentist explained it was something about my saliva. And unfortunately I've had moderate acne since I was 11 or 12.

Edited by lostlaika, 02 February 2012 - 09:42 PM.

#10 kaleidoscope

kaleidoscope

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:44 PM

I have approximately 5 metal fillings, which are of much more concern to me than the amount of cavities I have (which last time I got a diagnostic from a dentist, was 11? I think). My acne has always been moderate.

That should definitely concern you... Can you afford to get them replaced? The mercury in those fillings can cause all sorts of health problems.

I always got lots of cavities as a child/teen. I don't get them anymore, probably thanks to my diet. But the mercury fillings I used to have were partially responsible for making me mercury toxic, one consequence of which is gut dysbiosis/leaky gut/food allergies resulting in acne.

Edited by kaleidoscope, 02 February 2012 - 09:51 PM.

#11 AutonomousOne1980

AutonomousOne1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:50 PM

I am 25, never had a cavity, but still have acne. I can keep it somewhat under control through diet, but I always have some zits on my face.

how often have you been to a dentist? or the last time you were there for check up?

I have had acne for 9-10 years, severe at times. It was most severe probably around age 16-19, a course of accutane briefly cleared me and my acne came back in May-June of 2011, around 6 months after my course. It's more or less under control due to diet changes now.

I have zero fillings and have never had a cavity.

when was the last time you had a checkup?

Edited by AutonomousOne1980, 02 February 2012 - 09:50 PM.

#12 jennifer36

jennifer36

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:52 PM

Probably about 5 months ago. I'm due for another one soon! I go to the dentist like clockwork every 6 months. More frequently when I had braces though, probably every 3 months. Shockingly I didn't get any cavities after I got my braces removed (many people do).
my regimen:

am

pm

avoiding dairy, soy, high sodium, refined sugars, processed foods since September 2011. more recently peanuts, gluten and citrus as well.

#13 BitterSweet098

BitterSweet098

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 February 2012 - 10:08 PM

xx

Edited by BitterSweet098, 05 February 2013 - 11:05 PM.

#14 AutonomousOne1980

AutonomousOne1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 February 2012 - 10:12 PM

Probably about 5 months ago. I'm due for another one soon! I go to the dentist like clockwork every 6 months. More frequently when I had braces though, probably every 3 months. Shockingly I didn't get any cavities after I got my braces removed (many people do).

i suppose your testimony is a decent one, therefore, cavities at least arent an absolute predictor of acne, but i suppose there still may be some small relationship.

Edited by AutonomousOne1980, 02 February 2012 - 10:12 PM.

#15 jennifer36

jennifer36

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 02 February 2012 - 10:16 PM

i suppose your testimony is a decent one, therefore, cavities at least arent an absolute predictor of acne, but i suppose there still may be some small relationship.

It would make sense that in some cases at least there's a correlation.
my regimen:

am

pm

#16 Chocobot

Chocobot

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:19 PM

None, got plenty of pimples around my mouth.

#17 alexisc

alexisc

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:39 PM

Have you seen the video on a dentist in the 1920's who discovers the link between general nutrition and dental heath? It was posted in this forum a while ago. Basically this dentist went to "uncivilized" parts of the world where the food source was local and they all had perfect teeth. People with the same genetics who were exposed to mass produced foods, refined sugar etc. in nearby villages had tons of cavities and dental decay.

I also think there is a connection between bacterial imbalance in the stomach relating to bacterial imbalance in the mouth. If the bacteria is unbalanced dental issues like cavities would be more prevalent because the mouth is the first part of the digestive system. I can say I always have had tons of cavities and I do not eat much sugar and am trying to have a healthy diet. Overall cavities in my lifetime would be too many to count. Severity of acne would be moderate.

Here is the video I'm talking about:

Love and accept yourself for exactly who you are right now. 

25, female, moderate acne since age 12. 

Accutane at least 6 times.
Intolerances: corn & wheat & alcohol.

100% clear, if I follow the diet.

"the absence of flaw within beauty, is itself a flaw."

#18 dejaclairevoyant

dejaclairevoyant

~clean body, beautiful life~

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 February 2012 - 06:38 AM

I've had at least 5 or 6 cavities, never any fillings though. When the dentist told me about the cavities I opted not to do treatment and instead heal them on my own through natural methods. He acted like I was crazy and now here I am a few years later, no more cavitiies or tooth pain! Ha ha!

Current Skin-Care Regimen (A work in progress):

Morning:

Gentle wash with DKR cleanser

Benzoyl Peroxide 2.5% (Following Dan's Regimen)

DKR Lotion + A squirt of Argan or Grapeseed oil (The  lotion alone wasn't hydrating enough)

Skin 79 Korean BB Cream (excellent stuff)

Evening:

Gentle Wash with DKR Cleanser

Benzoyl Peroxide 2.5% (Following Dan's Regimen)

DKR Lotion + A squirt of Argan or Grapeseed oil

#19 gemmyjunebug

gemmyjunebug

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 03 February 2012 - 10:46 AM

When I was little and up to the age of 25 or so, I always,always, had cavities. I also had de-calcification on the front of my teeth. Pretty? Huh? My dentist and ortho for braces were never happy with me...which honestly pissed me off. I'm OCD about flossing, brushing, tongue scraping..I go above and beyond. Which actually truly offended me. They looked at my teeth and assumed I was not taking the proper measures regarding my oral hygiene. To make matters worse my braces always popped off, and my teeth hurt. Which of course was once again -my fault for not doing what I was suppose to do. BS. I was the only kid in grade school that had packed lunches with healthy food. I didn't even know what a fruit roll-up was? High school no soda, no crap, super healthy. I got so frustrated at them for their assumed character attack I removed my braces and switched dentist.
It wasn't until I was referred to another that the magic started happening. Meaning light bulbs went off and problems were solved. I was doing everything right, but what was going on in my mouth was causing the problems.
I have soft teeth, TMJ, crooked bite, silver fillings(bad by the way). That's a lot to take in...
I grind my teeth when I sleep. Which can cause major problems. More so when you have soft teeth. My teeth grinding more so than anything was causing my cavities and popping my braces. The acid in my mouth along with the teeth grinding was causing the decalcification.
I've fixed the problems and had my silver removed from all of my teeth and had white composite added. My teeth look amazing and feel great. No more cavities or problems.
However, I did notice the other day..I have a whitish tongue. What's up with that?
I laugh a lot. It's a requirement in my world. You're welcome anytime....'Ello loves!

#20 AceEpidermis

AceEpidermis

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 February 2012 - 11:03 AM

I've never had a cavity in my life, nor any sort of unnecessary dental surgery. My dentist did note at one time I was developing a caity, but I doubled up on my teeth cleaning and quashed that problem. When I went for my next appoint she confirmed that no such cavity had formed.