antibiotic minocycline moderate acne

1 reply to this topic

#1 Tazzgibb

Tazzgibb

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 February 2012 - 09:22 PM

Hello! I'm new here, but I'm a little bit desperate, and I was wondering if anybody could help me?

I am a seventeen year-old female, and after suffering from acne for years I finally decided to talk to my doctor about perscription options. She perscribed Differin, which I used as directed (pea sized amount every night only on affected areas, no benzoyl peroxide). I had to stop after three weeks however, because my once-moderate acne "exploded" all over my face, and now instead of having a little patch of red bumps on my cheek, I have red bumps all over my face (about 20 in all, on my ears and scalp too!).

I went back to the same doctor and she quickly changed my perscription to Minocycline and a topical perscription of clindamycin. I have been on this regimen for two weeks, and nothing at all has happened, except for a few extra pimples here and there. No dryness, no itching, no dizziness, but no results either.

So, my question is: should I continue this regimen knowing that these things take time, or should these new meds be taking effect, and I'm my acne is just too tough for them? Most of the reviews I've read have said that people have seen results in about four days, and I'm on day 14.

Please help! I don't even feel like myself anymore!

#2 asburypark101

asburypark101

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 February 2012 - 12:38 AM

Rarely would you eve see results in a matter of days. Typically with any new medication, especially antibiotics, it will usually take 2-3 months to see if the medication is effective. Of course everyone is different, some will see results sooner or later, but 2-3 months is typically recommended (for me it took around 5 months to see results on antibiotics). The best course right now is to be patient, and I know that is frustrating, but medication for acne is a trial and error approach. Just try to keep to it and good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users