cleanser

4 replies to this topic

#1 Lebleuskewl

Lebleuskewl

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:47 PM

Hi i just recently started The Regimen. Im not sure if this for me because i don't have "inflammed acne" more like closed comedones but ima still try it and very little blackheads and whiteheads. Well anyways i have already seen some progress like shrinking acne. But anyways Dan's cleanser seems to make my SKIN VERY DRY. When i read around people said that BP would be the thing that create dryness and redness but its the Cleanser. The BP doesn't even do any of those things to my face instead it kinda helps my face reducing the dryness that was created by the cleanser. The cleanser immediately makes my face dry like after 5 minutes you could see the dryness and white cracks but with the BP and moisturizer it reduces it alot. AM I ALERGIC TO THE CLEANSER? IS IT BECAUSE I DON'T PUT THE CLEANSER ON FOR LESS THAN 10 SECONDS I PUT IT FOR AROUND 30-40 SECONDS ON MY FACE (I DON'T KNOW HOW PEOPLE CAN CLEAN THERE FACE LESS THAN 10 SECONDS) WHAT SHOULD I DO?

#2 dmb41

dmb41

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 February 2012 - 12:44 PM

I've been starting to notice this as well, and have determined that it may be the cleanser also. I remember seeing a couple threads where this has been the case. While I don't follow "the regimen" anymore, I still use the cleanser, and am starting to think this may the be the cause of my dry/red skin.

Not to hijack the thread, but this may help the OP also. Any cleanser suggestions other than Dan's? Potentionally less irritating?

DKR user since October 11th, 2011

Regimen as of March 1st, 2013

-CeraVe Cleanser in AM/PM

-Better Diet

-Exercise

-1 gallon of water per day

-Green tea capsule

- Tea Tree Oil for spot treatment

80% clear

#3 Brandy

Brandy

• Regimen Assistance
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 02 February 2012 - 05:52 PM

The bp is causing the dryness. You just may not notice it until after you wash and pat dry and your skin has nothing on it.
The cleanser is pH balanced to the skin (5.5). It is as gentle as baby bath.
Dryness is typical in the beginning of the Regimen. Start out with just a tiny amount of bp once daily for the first week. Take about 4 weeks to work your way up to the full suggested amount. Your skin will adjust easier.
In the meantime, be very generous with the moisturizer and here are Dan's tips for dealing wtih dry flaky skin. http://www.acne.org/faq.html#dry

Hope that helps!

We're all in this together.

#4 Lebleuskewl

Lebleuskewl

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:47 PM

I don't want to sound like a smart-a$$ but I know it's not the BP. My brother was on The Regimen before me and I would sometimes just put BP on my face without using Acne.org's Cleanser for three weeks and it did not my skin dry or flaky or irritated. But now when I officially started my own regimen with all of the products I noticed how dry my skin is becoming. Like today for example I just finished taking a shower and when I was in there I applied the Cleanser but after drying and changing I go the mirror and see my entire face really dry and flaky and I haven't put on the BP. Also I just apply the BP on certain areas of my face not my entire face so that proves the Cleanser is making my skin dry. Should I stop or what I'm really lost

#5 AyeAye

AyeAye

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 30
About Me
  • Interests:Boxing, cycling, reading, learning to speak french (tres mal), public speaking, bush walking/hiking, chocolate - well actually food in general, and perfect skin.... gazing admiringly at people's perfect skin.

Achievements

Posted 04 February 2012 - 05:56 AM

Dan's cleanser absolutely dries out your skin, but not because its harsh or is a bad cleanser. Its extremely gentle and Ph balanced, but unlike other 'gentle' cleansers, it doesnt have any moisturising ingredients in it. Its sole purpose is to cleanse your skin by cleaning off the surface oils and products in preparation for applying the BP. Because of this it will give the surface of your skin a dry appearance.

If you were to use alternative cleansers, such as Cetaphil as an example, it would seem that your skin is less dried out, but thats only because it places a moisturising film over the top of your skin. It doesnt mean your skin is more hydrated, it just gives you the feeling and appearance that it is.

My personal experience is that the BP was extremely drying on my skin during the first 5 weeks but once my skin adjusted to it, it was less harsh. I still closely follow Dan's regimen though and ensure that I cleanse, apply plenty of BP and plenty of moisturiser. Get through the first 5 weeks or so and you will be cruising.

Oh, and in response to your first question about does the regimen work for closed comedones, then the answer is yes. I about 100 closed comedones all over my forehead and inflamed acne on the rest of my face, and in the second week they all turned into 100 whiteheads (deep joy). After they dried up and healed in week 3, it left my forehead perfectly smooth, with not one bump to be seen or felt when I cleansed my face.

After remaining clear for around 1.5 years following DKR (The Regimen), in March 2013 I decided to change to Epiduo.  I use a pea size amount of epiduo each night, followed by a layer of topical antibiotic (Eryacne). I also apply Eryacne every morning and moisturise twice a day. After switching to Epiduo from the regimen I found that it took a good 3 months to get back to being perfectly clear again and now I might get one small pimple appear per month.  I can live with that smile.png

I started following Dan's Regimen in September 2011 after suffering with acne for 20 years or so. I followed the Regimen instructions exactly and became 100% clear within 9-11 weeks. In December 2011 and after being consistently clear for over a month, I started to slowly reduce the amount of BP I used until I was only applying BP at night. My skin still remained clear however I sometimes switched to applying BP twice a day for a few days (perhaps once a month) if I felt a few under skin bumps starting to come up. I used acne.org products (including AHA and jojoba oil) and sometimes cetaphil moisturiser at night if I felt my skin was especially dry.  In the gallery I show my week by week progress following the regimen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users