Photo

Which Type Of Zinc Is The Most Effective At Treating Acne?

zinc acne zinc

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 BioCyan

BioCyan

Blake Morgan

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 31 January 2012 - 08:33 PM

Hello all, I'm back!

I have another question. Which type of Zinc is the most effective at treating acne? I say which type because of course there are several different kinds, such as Zinc Gluconate, which seems to be everywhere in the drug stores, but I've heard that Zinc Monomethionine may be more effective? Also there is another called Zinc Picolinate. I would just like to know which of these the most effective?

#2 limpbizkitfan

limpbizkitfan

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 January 2012 - 10:02 PM

They are all the same, it has the same affect no matter which you choose. But, make sure you ask your doctor if you are deficient in zinc, most acne sufferers are and it COULD be your cure but, if you are not deficient in zinc then you don't want to waste your time.

#3 Omnivium

Omnivium

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 31 January 2012 - 10:45 PM

They are all the same, it has the same affect no matter which you choose. But, make sure you ask your doctor if you are deficient in zinc, most acne sufferers are and it COULD be your cure but, if you are not deficient in zinc then you don't want to waste your time.

Why would you say they are all the same? Supplements can absorb well with one kind and not absorb well with another kind. And I wouldn't say that it is either a cure or a waste of time.

Biocyan: The only one I've tried is zinc gluconate. It works well for me, and it seems to be the most common kind. If you take zinc it will probably decrease inflammation and make your skin heal faster. It will not completely cure your acne.

Edited by Omnivium, 31 January 2012 - 10:46 PM.

#4 BioCyan

BioCyan

Blake Morgan

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:10 PM

Thanks for the replies, it seems that Zinc Gluconate is everywhere, I've tried to find the others in a few places and I keep coming across Gluconate.

#5 makethatchange

makethatchange

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 February 2012 - 12:37 PM

So far I've tried zinc chelate and Zinc Monomethionine and they both worked for me.

#6 k3tchup

k3tchup

RN

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 11 February 2012 - 09:50 PM

They are not all the same. Absorption of zinc (which then translates into effectiveness) depends on the type.

Zinc Picolinate is called body preferred because it is supposed to (and i believe it does because i used it for a long time) absorb the best.

I switched to L-optiZinc (30mgs of zinc Monomethionine, 300mcg of copper) because i was becoming copper deficient from taking 100mgs of zinc at night. I reduced to 50mgs but that was a temp fix. A common sign for me was heart arrhythmia and palpitations.

The type i use now is supposed to not react with copper absorption as much and i also take b6 which is helps aid in zinc absorption. I can honestly say that 30mgs of this stuff feels the same as me taking 100mgs daily.

Take zinc at night with atleast a 1/2 glass of water or more to reduce stomach irritation. Try to take it 2hrs or so after eating (which is why i take it at night). Zinc can cause decrease in blood pressure in high doses (like it did for me) so i see taking it at night a plus for aiding in sleep as well.

overall not all zincs are created equal

#7 Maximus Decimus Merideous

Maximus Decimus Merideous

Max

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 2
About Me

Achievements

Posted 11 February 2012 - 10:18 PM

it definitely matter...zinc monothionine aka optizinc

#8 Jal V

Jal V

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 March 2012 - 02:09 PM

Amen to the L-OptiZinc. I take only 30mg a day, also at night. I feel the form of the supplement is very important, because the better it absorbs, the less you have to take, the less non-absorbed excess that your body has to get rid of, and the less stress it puts on your body. Just opinion though.