Photo

Dermabrasion And Recell For Hypopigmentation Scars (Updated: 4 Months Post-Op)

co2 dermabrasion

81 replies to this topic

#61 dubldwn01

dubldwn01

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:23 AM

sounds like your progress is going really great. that's good to hear. to answer your questions about my hypopigmentation. I have small white spots accross my forehead. As a teenager I had really severe cystic acne on my forehead. He used a combination of lasers, fully ablative in the more severe areas and then fractional around that. The end result was that the entire forehead was treated. He took a sample of skin from my armpit to use for the recell. He said that he got a really good solution (it's apparently supposed to be a milky liquid). He then spread the solution over my entire forehead and put the bandage on.

It sounds as if what you went through after the treatment is kind of where i'm at now. I'm still red in some spots and I still see the white spots, but I have noticed a couple of the little brown spots popping up. The Dr. also told me that getting some sun will help. I've exposed it a couple times at about 10-15 min each time, but I'm also up in the west Highlands of Scotland for a week and a half on holiday and the sun has been a bit hard to come by latley.

Thanks for your description of progress, it all comes down to being patient which at times can be a difficult thing. One positive I did notice right away is that before, the white spots appeared "flat" when you looked at it from the right angle. Now the skin all seems to have the same texture. So that's a good thing.
I'll keep updating if it's of any interest, I can say hearing your experience to date has calmed me down a bit. I won't try and microanalyze it on a daily basis. Just have to give it some time.

all the best,

#62 Borec

Borec

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:36 AM

its interesting hes taking the biopsy from your armpit? Dr Maini?
Not as odd as Dr Khan wanting to take it from my butt though :D Supposedly more stemcells but not sure about melanocytes.

#63 dubldwn01

dubldwn01

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:21 AM

Yea, Dr. Maini. Really great Dr. He's pretty confident in the results that this procedure produces. The reasoning for the armpit was that was he said that usually he takes it from the head, but for a long time in my late teens through mid 20's i had a buzz cut, and he said that I've got sun damage up there. He said armpit has got everything I need and it has been protected from any damaged. Made pretty good sense to me, and now that I have long hair, we didn't have to take a chunk out....which is also a good thing.

#64 dubldwn01

dubldwn01

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 July 2012 - 11:21 AM

Borec,

I did have a question for you. Are there any specific studies that you've read about how this all is supposed to work? Logically it all seems to fit, I'd just like to learn a bit more about it. I've done some reading online and learned a bit, but you seem to have been able to find info much more detailed. Thanks.

#65 Borec

Borec

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 July 2012 - 11:41 AM

Hi, i never kept a list but i basically googled alot of the information
Melanocytes, melanin, melanogenesis (wiki has some good stuff)
Avita case studies of course
Vitiligo treatment and melanocyte transfer/transplantation
I got the names of the recell surgeons from the avita case studies and googled them, checked out there web sites and emailed some of them.
Hypopigmentation medical reports.
Interviews with rajiv sood(heading the FDA trials in us), fiona wood and William dolphin
Contact with other patients including clinical trial patients
Contact with fiona wood and jeremy rawlins and dr maini

Ill check the history on my pc when i get home

#66 *strawberry

*strawberry

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:44 PM

its nice to see youre still updating this topic! may i remind you of the pictures?

#67 Borec

Borec

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 August 2012 - 12:50 PM

Its now a little over 4 months. Things have been quite hectic in my life to say the least.
So sorry for those who have been eagerly awaiting an update.
Firstly about a month ago Dr Rawlins gave me a UV protocol to follow. I have had about 15-20 minutes of direct sun exposure twice a week.

Ok so in relation to the pigmentation. Pigment is better and better every week. It depends on what mirror I look in still. Some make it appear like its less, others more, but there is no doubt that the pigment is coming back. Even in the mirrors where the pigment looks the worst it is possible to see thousands of dots of pigment migrating through the layers of skin. I would say i have about 50% pigment returned so far. Its still a matter of another 12 months before I know the full result but im secretly expecting/hoping for over 80%.
I had a haircut yesterday and i was interested to see myself in a full length mirror under the hairdressers light as they usually show all your imperfections. I was really really happy with what i saw. My skin looked 10 years younger imho. Maybe it was the mirror lol.
Only time will tell.

As for the scarring. Well thats also looking amazing but the filler is slowly disappearing (20 months) and so some craters are becoming slightly more obvious. One of the things that I regret is that i wish I had had the procedure done without any filler. In that way the doctor could have seen the scars for what they are rather than seeing a "plumped up" scar and dealt with it accordingly. Furthermore I would have a better idea of what is benefitting me. Anyway I think the scarring is easily 50-60% better, maybe more. Ill let you guys decide that but basically I think if I had the same thing done again i would have minimal scarring but there is a chance i wont even need another shot. Perhaps the growth factors have helped and the filler is gone? I dunno. Again ill have to wait.
In the scar are two fine white lines which I expect will remain white. They look like finger nail marks and are most likely scar tissue being seen visibly through the epidermis. They are small and not so bothersome so im not expecting them to go. The rest is greatly smoothed out and now only slightly pinkish in the middle. He ablated quite deep on this scar so it will obviously take longer to heal.

Ive tried to take photos in the "worst" light with and without a flash.
Ill take more photos in different lights and compare them and if i see any that are worse ill post them. These ones are taken at 7pm my time (sun still out) so ill try in full day light and after sun set and compare them.

For me recell is amazing. Its not a 100% miracle cure but im sure for alot of people it will be enough.

Hope this helps. Stay strong

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_3840.JPG
  • IMG_3834.JPG
  • IMG_3835.JPG
  • IMG_3836.JPG
  • IMG_3837.JPG
  • IMG_3838.JPG
  • IMG_3839.JPG
  • IMG_3840.JPG

#68 the investor

the investor

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 August 2012 - 04:16 PM

Looks great, Borec!

#69 CherrySoda08

CherrySoda08

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 19
About Me

Posted 01 September 2012 - 02:48 AM

Its now a little over 4 months. Things have been quite hectic in my life to say the least.
So sorry for those who have been eagerly awaiting an update.
Firstly about a month ago Dr Rawlins gave me a UV protocol to follow. I have had about 15-20 minutes of direct sun exposure twice a week.

Ok so in relation to the pigmentation. Pigment is better and better every week. It depends on what mirror I look in still. Some make it appear like its less, others more, but there is no doubt that the pigment is coming back. Even in the mirrors where the pigment looks the worst it is possible to see thousands of dots of pigment migrating through the layers of skin. I would say i have about 50% pigment returned so far. Its still a matter of another 12 months before I know the full result but im secretly expecting/hoping for over 80%.
I had a haircut yesterday and i was interested to see myself in a full length mirror under the hairdressers light as they usually show all your imperfections. I was really really happy with what i saw. My skin looked 10 years younger imho. Maybe it was the mirror lol.
Only time will tell.

As for the scarring. Well thats also looking amazing but the filler is slowly disappearing (20 months) and so some craters are becoming slightly more obvious. One of the things that I regret is that i wish I had had the procedure done without any filler. In that way the doctor could have seen the scars for what they are rather than seeing a "plumped up" scar and dealt with it accordingly. Furthermore I would have a better idea of what is benefitting me. Anyway I think the scarring is easily 50-60% better, maybe more. Ill let you guys decide that but basically I think if I had the same thing done again i would have minimal scarring but there is a chance i wont even need another shot. Perhaps the growth factors have helped and the filler is gone? I dunno. Again ill have to wait.
In the scar are two fine white lines which I expect will remain white. They look like finger nail marks and are most likely scar tissue being seen visibly through the epidermis. They are small and not so bothersome so im not expecting them to go. The rest is greatly smoothed out and now only slightly pinkish in the middle. He ablated quite deep on this scar so it will obviously take longer to heal.

Ive tried to take photos in the "worst" light with and without a flash.
Ill take more photos in different lights and compare them and if i see any that are worse ill post them. These ones are taken at 7pm my time (sun still out) so ill try in full day light and after sun set and compare them.

For me recell is amazing. Its not a 100% miracle cure but im sure for alot of people it will be enough.

Hope this helps. Stay strong

I just love these ReCell threads. When I say they inspire me, and give me the strength to carry on, I am not exaggerating in any way. You look great, Borec! Your indented scar reminds me of one I have on my left cheek, which left quite a nice little indention after having been the site of a deep cyst.

I was completely ignorant about cystic acne at that time, and was just beginning to get cysts at that point in my life. I let the site become very infected, thinking it would go away, and ended up with a crater. I hate it, but I am so thankful I live in a day in which there is something to be done about those types of scars.

Please keep updating when you are able to. Your pics have been so uplifting.

#70 francisk

francisk

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 September 2012 - 03:17 PM

Hi Borec

I had recell treatment with Jeremy Rawlins in April in Leeds. I was just wondering if you had any contact details for him now that he has moved to Australia.

#71 wrocky

wrocky

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 September 2012 - 05:20 PM

Hi Borec

I had recell treatment with Jeremy Rawlins in April in Leeds. I was just wondering if you had any contact details for him now that he has moved to Australia.

Hey Francis,

Did you see good results from Recell? It is one of the treatments I am looking into also.

Edited by wrocky, 24 September 2012 - 05:20 PM.

#72 francisk

francisk

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 September 2012 - 04:19 AM

Hey Wrocky

I would say that it is still to early to tell. Apparently it takes up to 18 months to fully mature. I can not see much of the scars but the area is red and patchy

#73 Borec

Borec

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:12 PM

francisk, it would be great if you could post pictures so we can swap notes or PM me if you like :D (I pmed you Jeremies details)
@Cherry, your story sounds exactly like mine, in my case i had 3 cysts and then they joined into one big one. Soul destoying for a 18 year old at the time.
Its good to know im inspiring hope so ill keep updating.

Nothing really new to say other than i have further improvement but its slow, so ill wait a little longer before i post something new :D
All in all a great experience after a nightmare co2 cowboy destroyed my skin (more).

#74 CherrySoda08

CherrySoda08

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:51 PM

francisk, it would be great if you could post pictures so we can swap notes or PM me if you like Posted Image (I pmed you Jeremies details)
@Cherry, your story sounds exactly like mine, in my case i had 3 cysts and then they joined into one big one. Soul destoying for a 18 year old at the time.
Its good to know im inspiring hope so ill keep updating.

Nothing really new to say other than i have further improvement but its slow, so ill wait a little longer before i post something new Posted Image
All in all a great experience after a nightmare co2 cowboy destroyed my skin (more).

Glad that you will continue to update this thread. I have really enjoyed it alot. Posted Image

#75 shenanigansSG

shenanigansSG

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:55 PM

Hey Borec,

Love your 4 month update. I can see what you are talking about, dots or patches of skin colour returning to your cheeks, so excited for you!

I was wondering if you could answer some questions, regarding your procedure;
At the moment do you have any side effects from your dermabrasion+recell procedure at all?
Secondly, I think I remember you saying that dermabrasion+recell has helped you with some scarred/enlarged pores, I'm just wondering if you still notice and improvement now. I mean your skin looks really good now, but I know you will be the best judge of the improvement of your skin.

Thanks for the updates; very, very encouraging for me

-Luke

#76 jennyfung

jennyfung

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:51 AM

WOW~I suffer from acne scarring for long

had more than 20 times of laser

planning a dermabrasion

cant see the before photos but your photos after the surgery are fantastic

#77 CherrySoda08

CherrySoda08

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:22 AM

Any more updates, Borec?

#78 Yenrab

Yenrab

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 August 2013 - 05:37 AM

I'm so glad to have stumbled across this topic.  Borec, I have been reading your posts with great interest and am curious to know how things are now a year on? 

I myself had laser to my cheeks and from temple to temple in the late nineties in a vein attempt to rid myself of awful acne scarring. It did nothing for the scarring but on a beach holiday some 4 or 5 years ago I noticed that those areas of my face did not tan when the untreated areas did.  I was warned at the time that I may experience loss of pigment but as my pigment was unaffected at the time of my follow up appointments it was deemed that I was ok.  It is very strange that my pigment has taken so much time to disappear.  I had gone on holiday to a very hot country 3 to 4 years after the treatment and came back with a beautiful even tan, so its all a bit of a mystery.

So I have become completely pre-occupied with my plight and have extensively ploughed the web for answers.  I tried a product called V-Tar, which at first seemed to be bringing my pigment back but this was short lived and instead has left me with very dark pigment circling the white cheeks and accentuating it even more...it looks a total mess.  I cant let anyone see me without makeup but have to wear it heavy in order to try and even out my normal skin tone, large white areas and the dark pigment.  And wearing heavy makeup at 38 does nothing to make you look more youthful! No more swimming, gym, beach holidays, just came back from camping at the reading festival where I could only clean my face with wipes each day and then re-apply my make up before I could venture out of the tent...6 days of not washing your wash when you are my age is no good.

Anyhoo, heard about Recell over a year ago and have been researching.  Been in touch with Dr Maini who believes it could help me and have been quoted about £3500 for a full face.  I have not had an actual consultation until I have the cash, as if I am satisfied with what he has to tell me I will be chomping at the bit to get it done.  So I am taking part in clinical trials to raise the cash, it slow going, still have about 2K yet to raise and I am hoping that this treatment will be worth it!

#79 harq96

harq96

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:11 PM

could you please post recent pictures? 

#80 bobowang

bobowang

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 April 2014 - 12:16 AM

It is amazing!!!We have the same type of scar.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users