shaving

3 replies to this topic

#1 MikeX10A

MikeX10A

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 January 2012 - 09:51 PM

So, I recently started shaving with a DE safety razor and it is awesome. Beats cartridge razors a million times over. Anyway, since I am new at it I nick myself every time near my Adam's apple. It isn't a big deal if I shave and go to bed, but if I have a party or date to go on and shave prior, I need to seal the nick quick. That's where the styptic pencil comes in. Here's a little info:

Styptic Pencil

A styptic pencil is a tool used for targeting and cosmetically eliminating small cuts and nicks from shaving. The pencil work by applying some form of alum, usually aluminum sulfate, or titanium dioxide to the wound, which when introduced to the blood causes the vessels to contract which stops the bleed and removes the cut visually. The cut is still there but it doesn't bleed and isn't red since blood-flow to that particular area is constricted. Styptics tend to be more aggressive than alum blocks due to the difference in the active substance (aluminum sulfate vs. aluminum potassium sulfate).
Styptic pencils tend to hurt quite a bit when used, usually much more than the cut itself, but the pain fades away pretty quick and the pencil promotes healing. It also removes most itches and irritation if used as soon as you're done shaving.

Source: http://straightrazor.../Styptic_Pencil

My question is, will this make me break out at all? Has anyone had any experience with it?

#2 bobbi364

bobbi364

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:39 PM

They definitely work, it will not make you breakout, it's just a cut treatment. You could try alum, however, it doesn't stop the bleeding as fast. The only downside of the pencil is that it usually leaves a white substance behind, so if you are going out it probably would be the best thing.

#3 MisterJudo

MisterJudo

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 March 2012 - 04:00 AM

They definitely work, it will not make you breakout, it's just a cut treatment. You could try alum, however, it doesn't stop the bleeding as fast. The only downside of the pencil is that it usually leaves a white substance behind, so if you are going out it probably would be the best thing.

I realize this is a rather late reply, but I'd recommend a liquid styptic in that case. It'll last quite a while and won't leave behind any white mark.
My Nik is Sealed, for example.

#4 MikeX10A

MikeX10A

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:47 PM

I've been using the styptic pencil and it works great. No breakouts or anything. The only issues is the white mark, so I will check out that "My Nik is Sealed" item (thanks MisterJudo).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users