Photo

We Are More Insulin Resistant In The Morning

insulin insulin resistance insulin resistant morning blood sugar carbs sugar low glycemic

This topic is archived.
15 replies to this topic

#1 Omnivium

Omnivium

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Oily skin.

Achievements

Posted 29 January 2012 - 01:58 PM

Insulin resistance can contribute to acne, but I just found out that everyone may be more insulin resistant in the morning. It's called the dawn phenomenon. The dawn phenomenon, when blood sugar rises during the night, is related to the Somogyi effect, where blood sugar falls during the night.

http://www.ncbi.nlm..../pubmed/6368151 That study says: "The observed increase in insulin in the early morning hours despite stable levels of glucose indicates a temporally increased insulin need in nondiabetic individuals similar to that found in individuals with diabetes."

Here's another one: http://www.ncbi.nlm..../pubmed/6389230 "These results indicate that a dawn-like phenomenon, initiated by an increase in glucose production, occurs in nondiabetic individuals."

But there are studies that say the opposite: http://www.ncbi.nlm..../pubmed/3514653, http://www.ncbi.nlm..../pubmed/2646356. These studies referred to the subjects as "normal" or "healthy". I think people with acne do not fall in the "normal" category. Though we are not diabetic, we might still have problems with insulin.

Here's a few more non-credible sources that say everyone experiences the dawn phenomenon:
http://www.positivea...enomenon-/22172
http://drsukol.teach...veyResultsChart
http://www.diabetes-...fo/?page_id=143

I'm not claiming that everyone experiences this, but I think it is possible, especially with people with acne and blood sugar problems, that we experience this effect. The articles above said that a way to stop the effect is to avoid eating late at night, and make sure we eat breakfast. To prevent the dawn phenomenon, we can avoid carbs at dinnertime, and to not make it worse, we can avoid carbs for breakfast. Instead of carbs, we should eat more healthy fat and protein. For people already eating low glycemic load meals, this shouldn't be a problem.

So this just provides another reason to eat low glycemic load meals, limit carbs and eat more fat and protein.

Edited by Omnivium, 29 January 2012 - 02:01 PM.

How I Stay Clear:

• Accutane 5mg/day

• Probiotics 25 billion organisms/day

• Cetaphil gentle skin cleanser 2x/day

Low Dose Accutane Log

#2 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 January 2012 - 05:29 PM

We go through a period of insulin resistance during puberty as a way for the body to allocate resources to the changes we are going through.

And those of us with acne do not necessarily have any more of an issue with insulin/blood sugar than anyone else. We just get the symptom of acne.

A daily approx 16-hour fast improves insulin sensitivity. Most days I eat few or no calories after about 3pm then don't eat again until 7am. Either by eating an early dinner and then nothing or a big lunch and something with few calories like veggie soup in the evening. See the intermittent Fasting thread.

Edited by alternativista, 29 January 2012 - 05:31 PM.

Status: Clear after 30 years. Wow, I guess it's been 6 years, now.

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

When you eat stuff, Stuff Happens!

#3 Peony7

Peony7

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 9
About Me
  • Interests:Music, cats, fashion, making clothes, makeup, Twin Peaks, Dr Who, video games

Posted 29 January 2012 - 06:20 PM

Is this why my skin looks great first thing in the morning, very matte and not inflamed - because I have not eaten since the night before? But once I have eaten my skin becomes very greasy and inflamed?

Is that why the intermittent fasting helps?

#4 amy91

amy91

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Shopping,reading
    movies,camping

Achievements

Posted 29 January 2012 - 07:39 PM

Same here! My Skin looks so good in the morning. As I have some breakfast, my red marks look more noticeable. Or maybe sleep improves skin condition ( because if I sleep during the day then my skin looks the same as in the morning)?
Everyone leaves the world a little better-some by leaving!

#5 Omnivium

Omnivium

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Oily skin.

Achievements

Posted 29 January 2012 - 09:43 PM

Is this why my skin looks great first thing in the morning, very matte and not inflamed - because I have not eaten since the night before? But once I have eaten my skin becomes very greasy and inflamed?

Is that why the intermittent fasting helps?

Same here! My Skin looks so good in the morning. As I have some breakfast, my red marks look more noticeable. Or maybe sleep improves skin condition ( because if I sleep during the day then my skin looks the same as in the morning)?

I look better in the morning too. It's the only time I don't look so oily. I thought it was because I didn't eat all night and my blood sugar was low, but apparently it's the opposite. http://diabetes.webm...od-sugar-levels Our bodies release hormones, such as growth hormones and cortisol, when we are asleep. Those hormones interfere with insulin and cause our blood sugar to rise. So at around 8:00am our blood sugar is high and the other hormones are interfering with our insulin, so we are left with high blood sugar and insulin resistance in the morning.

I would guess that acne could look better in the morning because our bodies heal while we are asleep, but I have no idea why I am less oily in the morning.

Edited by Omnivium, 29 January 2012 - 09:44 PM.

How I Stay Clear:

• Accutane 5mg/day

• Probiotics 25 billion organisms/day

• Cetaphil gentle skin cleanser 2x/day

Low Dose Accutane Log

#6 Guest_Timehealsall_*

Guest_Timehealsall_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 30 January 2012 - 05:47 AM

We go through a period of insulin resistance during puberty as a way for the body to allocate resources to the changes we are going through.

And those of us with acne do not necessarily have any more of an issue with insulin/blood sugar than anyone else. We just get the symptom of acne.

A daily approx 16-hour fast improves insulin sensitivity. Most days I eat few or no calories after about 3pm then don't eat again until 7am. Either by eating an early dinner and then nothing or a big lunch and something with few calories like veggie soup in the evening. See the intermittent Fasting thread.

so basically, according to the intermittent fasting thread, you shouldn't eat much food after 3 pm? What type of foods should be eaten in the morning?

#7 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 January 2012 - 08:12 PM

so basically, according to the intermittent fasting thread, you shouldn't eat much food after 3 pm? What type of foods should be eaten in the morning?

However you want to do it to leave a 16 hour fast. Many people skip breakfast, but I could never do that. Morning to midday is when I am hungry. Besides, seems to me you should eat while you are active and stop when you start sitting around and sleeping.

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

#8 Guest_Timehealsall_*

Guest_Timehealsall_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 30 January 2012 - 08:42 PM

However you want to do it to leave a 16 hour fast. Many people skip breakfast, but I could never do that. Morning to midday is when I am hungry. Besides, seems to me you should eat while you are active and stop when you start sitting around and sleeping.

when it comes to acne, does it matter when u eat? For example, i am usually playing pc games at night. If i eat a lot during this time (even if its healthy food, or food that doesnt cause acne), would it still effect my skin vs if i ate it during the day when im more active?

#9 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 January 2012 - 04:39 PM

when it comes to acne, does it matter when u eat? For example, i am usually playing pc games at night. If i eat a lot during this time (even if its healthy food, or food that doesnt cause acne), would it still effect my skin vs if i ate it during the day when im more active?

Intermittent fasting isn't about acne, it's about various health factos that retard aging including improve insulin sensitivity and recycling of tissues. And it's about having a period of fasting each day or frequently, because we are just plain not meant to have plenty of food everyday. Going hungry sometimes is an important part of the processes we are meant to go through.

For that, it doesn't matter when you do it. But staring at a PC at night disrupts your sleep. And sitting around isn't healthy either. The body stops or slows a lot of fat and carb burning processes when you sit around.

#10 Guest_Timehealsall_*

Guest_Timehealsall_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 31 January 2012 - 10:36 PM

Intermittent fasting isn't about acne, it's about various health factos that retard aging including improve insulin sensitivity and recycling of tissues. And it's about having a period of fasting each day or frequently, because we are just plain not meant to have plenty of food everyday. Going hungry sometimes is an important part of the processes we are meant to go through.

For that, it doesn't matter when you do it. But staring at a PC at night disrupts your sleep. And sitting around isn't healthy either. The body stops or slows a lot of fat and carb burning processes when you sit around.

thanks for the information alternavista, but what i am most worried about ATM is my acne and the potential scarring that comes with it.

I do exercise everyday (30-45 mins), but i sit around majority of the time if not exercising.

How does the " The body stops or slows a lot of fat and carb burning processes when you sit around," affect acne?

#11 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:33 AM

thanks for the information alternavista, but what i am most worried about ATM is my acne and the potential scarring that comes with it.

I do exercise everyday (30-45 mins), but i sit around majority of the time if not exercising.

How does the " The body stops or slows a lot of fat and carb burning processes when you sit around," affect acne?

It affects just about everything to do with your health. But one that specifically affects acne and hormones is insulin sensitivity.

#12 Guest_Timehealsall_*

Guest_Timehealsall_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 01 February 2012 - 04:20 PM

It affects just about everything to do with your health. But one that specifically affects acne and hormones is insulin sensitivity.

alternativas, i must ask you. Do you believe that eating cinnamon (500mg) after every meal helps with insulin resistance/sensitivity?

#13 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 February 2012 - 04:49 PM

I forgot. I'd found a study that shows that intermittent fasting slows hyperproliferation/hyperkeratinization of cells. And since hyperproliferation/hyperkeratinization of skin cells is at the root of acne formation and one of the ways we are genetically predisposed to acne, this means it could be very beneficial to acne in an even more direct way than improving blood sugar.

In the past, we'd had plenty of people saying they could eat just about anything while following the warrior diet, which is too extreme a form of intermittent fasting for me so I ignored it at the time.

Intermittent Fasting thread: http://www.acne.org/...e-way-to-do-it/

Edited by alternativista, 23 April 2012 - 11:44 AM.

#14 Guest_Timehealsall_*

Guest_Timehealsall_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 04 February 2012 - 06:50 PM

warrior diet?

#15 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 February 2012 - 04:51 PM

^ Yes.

#16 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:45 AM

You know, it occurs to me that this phenomena probably has something to do with energy needs after the nightly fast and was very important back when all we had was real food to eat. And that the coca cola I used to drink when I first got up in the morning was probably by the worst thing I ever did to myself.