Photo

Pregnancy And Acne Medication....

pregnancy pregnant child children medication foetus foetal effect finacea azelaic acid

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 crystal_willow

crystal_willow

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 8
About Me

Achievements

Posted 29 January 2012 - 10:12 AM

I have been told by my doctor that although there is no evidence that using azelaic acid during pregnancy should harm the foetus/breastfeeding child (especially in comparison to things like retin a etc) that she thinks I should stop using finacea if I chose to get pregnant.... just in case.

I was very distressed by this as I have just found out that I have endometriosis and so I won't want to leave pregnancy for too long if I decide to have children (I have booked in to see a counsellor to discuss this). I previously thought I would be OK to use this if I got pregnant as the balance of negligable risk VS the risk to the pregnancy caused by stress of developing acne again would be a no brainer... but having a doctor say this to me made me less secure in my previous decision...

I wonder what experiences/knowledge you guys have about use of finacea (or other acne medications) in pregnancy... obviously apart from vitimin a derivatives like retin-a and accutane which we all know can cause serious birth defects.

Morning: Wipe skin down with face wipes (sticking to one shower a day seems to help skin strength and healing)

use finacea face, jawline, neck, arms, chest, back (azelaic acid 15% gel)

Evening: shower with any shampoo I want then wash with PEARS soap (twice a week use Vosene as a wash and leave it on for 1-5 mins)

use finacea face, jawline, neck and chest (azelaic acid 15% gel)

(Last adapted summer 2012)

My skin is now "normal" clear!! Thankyou to everyone for all your support!!

my finacea log including my September 2011 summary video (link is for the start of it, copy and paste as the link won't work directly):

http://www.acne.org/...re-ppl-try-this

Doing Yoga/practicing mindfulness, this has really helped me alot! Trying to eat better for my immune system

i.e. more veg and fruit plus trying to eat low GI, drink lots of water and get enough sleep.....

Wash your sheets and towels twice a week!!

#2 Peony7

Peony7

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 9
About Me

Posted 02 February 2012 - 12:54 PM

Hiya,

I have been trying to conceive and prior to coming off the contraceptive pill I was advised the only safe topical was BP. I don't think they even like salicylic acid use, because it hasn't been tested in pregnancy yet. Having said that I have been using AHA/BHA cream recently but only because it is taking so long to conceive that I was getting desperate to put something onto my face. It wasn't strong enough though so I am thinking of trying BP. I just hate the bleaching and redness!

#3 crystal_willow

crystal_willow

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 03 February 2012 - 01:57 AM

@Peony7
The reason they don't like salicylic acid in pregnancy is because it is basically the active ingredient in aspirin and studies looking aqt women who take aspirin in pregnancy show that it can cause birth defects. Topical has not been tested but they say that absorbtion of a body peel/letting alot of SA product sink in is equivalent to taking one aspirin so doctors advise against using SA (although not all doctors will know the specifics about the testing nessisarily... they look up the advice in their little books so its worth looking into these things yourself).

My doctor said she would not be conserned about somone getting pregnant whilst on AA (azelaic acid) but would feel it would be best to come off it for the duration of pregnancy..... althought it seems some dertmatologists think that its use is ok in pregnancy/during breastfeeding as topical use it unlikely to introduce much into the system.... but many understandably do err on the side of caution and say not to use it during pregnancy.

This stresses me but I guess I'd just have to step up my makeup routine and be accepting of the acne (for the 2 years around having a baby... arg!)

Difficult

Edited by crystal_willow, 03 February 2012 - 01:58 AM.

Morning: Wipe skin down with face wipes (sticking to one shower a day seems to help skin strength and healing)

Evening: shower with any shampoo I want then wash with PEARS soap (twice a week use Vosene as a wash and leave it on for 1-5 mins)

my finacea log including my September 2011 summary video (link is for the start of it, copy and paste as the link won't work directly):

Doing Yoga/practicing mindfulness, this has really helped me alot! Trying to eat better for my immune system

i.e. more veg and fruit plus trying to eat low GI, drink lots of water and get enough sleep.....

#4 Peony7

Peony7

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 9
About Me

Posted 03 February 2012 - 06:56 AM

Yeah it is difficult, I am actually at that stage now as I have been trying to get pregnant for a while and I had mostly clear skin when I was using differin but perhaps when you are pregnant/breastfeeding you will have other thoughts that overtake the acne. I am trying to overhaul my diet so I am hoping the spots can be prevented through this. But I am not sure how to deal with the hyperkeratinization yet.

#5 crystal_willow

crystal_willow

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 03 February 2012 - 02:42 PM

@Peony Yeha I think its the hyperkeratinisation that's going to be an issue. There are alot of antibacterial stuff out there thats natural like honey and washing regularily can help with oil but nothing can help with the hyperkaratinisation. I guess just eating well and doing facial steams may help keep the pores clearer...

Apparently tea tree oil is considered ok for pregnancy but I wouldn't bathe in the stuff lol... will probably use it in steaming and a few massages..

Edited by crystal_willow, 03 February 2012 - 02:43 PM.

#6 HapaMommy

HapaMommy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:50 PM

When I was pregnant I was told BP was the only thing I read you could use. I read that retinoids are not recommended because of skin absorption and the possibility of hindering cellular development in the fetus. But I don't believe it hasn been tested. Oral meds like Accutane are a huge no-no. I must say I used Panoxyl 5%-10% BP washes during pregnancy (BP is safe) and Differin 0.1% (spot treatment occasionally only). Both my my kids are perfectly healthy though I knew there were some theorized risks with the Differin. The amount of anything absorbed or transferred to the fetus is so small percentage wise. I was drinking before I knew I was pregnant and the doctor didn't even care. She said, if I only drank that one time (3rd week of pregnancy) and I had less than 7 drinks the baby would definitely be fine. Pregnancy is difficult because you will go through hormonal changes. With my first pregnancy I developed acne on my chest for the first time. I then had come serious pimples on my forehead and I've only had pretty mild acne (only a couple pimples at a time). With my second pregnancy I had clear skin except for my upper back between my shoulder blades. I had moderate cynic tip acne. Once I found Acne.org and read about the BP bay wash I used it and it cleared up immediately.

Whether you breakout during pregnancy it is definitely a temporary thing. Your hormones will change throughout the pregnancy. For me my breakouts occurred in the beginning of the pregnancies. Good luck!
My Regimen

AM
Cetaphil Daily Cleanser or M2 Exfoliating Cleanser with Clarisonic brush
Elta MD UV Facial moisiturizer

PM
Cetaphil Daily Cleanser or M2 Exfoliating Cleanser w/o Clarisonic brush
Elta MD UV Facial moisturizer w/ Cetaphil Moisturizing Cream

FOR FOLLICULITIS & ECZEMA
Triamcimolone as needed
Ketoconazole 2% Cream (spot treatment only) twice daily
Clarifoam once daily
Noble Soap everytime I shower

PHASING OUT
Differin 0.3% (spot treatment only)

#7 crystal_willow

crystal_willow

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 18 February 2012 - 12:20 PM

@hapamommy

Thankyou for the wealth of experience... lots of people are saying positive things about BP so far...

I have to add this incase any potential preggers ladies are reading: Unfortunately the vitimin A derivative thing was "tested"...... basically it was put on the shelves without a warning because it was not tested on animals before humans and obviously they don't include pregnant women in clinical trials usually..... and lots of pregnant women with acne used it. Vitamin A derivatives result in improper development of the midbrain... I was told this at uni and always will remember it as i found it chilling....

thanks again xx

#8 Gabby10

Gabby10

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 February 2012 - 12:57 PM

I have also wondered about the safety of the regimen I am currently on and pregnancy. I am taking Vitamin B5 (500 mg) and L-Carnatine (500 mg) once a day and juicing in the morning. Although the supplements are technically not considered acne medication I do wonder about the health risks when pregnant. Also juicing introduces a large amount of vitamins, including Vit. A, which has been linked to birth defects.I am not planning on getting pregnant anytime soon so my main concern right now is getting clear. But I hope when the time comes that I would be able to stay on this regimen. Not really sure if I would be able to though. I think this is the one thing that us women have to worry about in addition to treating the acne. It sucks if after finding a successful regimen you cant continue it for the duration of the pregnancy.

#9 HapaMommy

HapaMommy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 February 2012 - 08:23 PM

Yikes! I wonder what I misunderstood in my readings. Luckily, my kids are fine. But like I said I didn't use it regularly.
My Regimen

AM
Cetaphil Daily Cleanser or M2 Exfoliating Cleanser with Clarisonic brush
Elta MD UV Facial moisiturizer

PM
Cetaphil Daily Cleanser or M2 Exfoliating Cleanser w/o Clarisonic brush
Elta MD UV Facial moisturizer w/ Cetaphil Moisturizing Cream

FOR FOLLICULITIS & ECZEMA
Triamcimolone as needed
Ketoconazole 2% Cream (spot treatment only) twice daily
Clarifoam once daily
Noble Soap everytime I shower