Photo

Differin Cream 0.1% Logs

differin adapalene acne mild to moderate logs

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
39 replies to this topic

#21 hassom

hassom

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 March 2012 - 05:47 AM

Hey Guys,

Let me cut this short, I always thought the Isotrex didnt work on my skin, up until a few days ago when I looked at my pics that I took in December last year and compared them to how my skin now looks. The Ixotrex has actually cleared up my skin (I always thought it didnt) hence why the doctor prescribed me Differin. So the dilemma is shall I continue to use the Differin, or stop using it and go back on the Isotrex?

I would include pics of before and after but I cant :/

Thanks Posted Image xxx

#22 Jakebakedacake

Jakebakedacake

eggomyeggo

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:23 AM

Hey Guys,

Let me cut this short, I always thought the Isotrex didnt work on my skin, up until a few days ago when I looked at my pics that I took in December last year and compared them to how my skin now looks. The Ixotrex has actually cleared up my skin (I always thought it didnt) hence why the doctor prescribed me Differin. So the dilemma is shall I continue to use the Differin, or stop using it and go back on the Isotrex?

I would include pics of before and after but I cant :/

Thanks Posted Image xxx

Isotrex contains isotretinoin, the same active ingredient as Accutane Roche, and an antioxidant. Differin's active ingredient is Adapalene. Both of these compounds are classified as topical retinoids, and both take 12 weeks to see full effects. And yes, it really does take 12 weeks. How long did you use the Isotrex for, and when did you stop? How long have you been using differin?

Best of luck!

My Regimen

Morning

Shower

While in shower, use Sumadan wash

Apply Cetaphil dermacontrol moisturizer

Spot treat if I am feeling OCD (lol)

Night

Shower

Apply Ziana

Take Solodyn (Minocycline)

Morning Supplements

Multivitamin

Night Time Supplements

Multivitamin

#23 g33tar

g33tar

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 March 2012 - 04:44 PM

hey.

Im just on my second week of differin 0.1%

My derm put me on Tetralysal and Differin. I started the tetralysal 2 weeks before the differin ( i had some seborrhoeic dermatitis to get rid of first).

My first day of differin gave me a horrible outbreak (dont know if it was from the 2 weeks of antibiotics or the 1 day of differin).

right now, im exactly 2 weeks on differin ( 4 weeks on tetralysal). Ive experiences a pretty awful "purge" or outbreak the last 2 weeks ive been on differin. Its really one of the worst breakouts ive ever had in my 8 years of acne. Im trying to brave through it and the outbreak seems to be slowing (fingers crossed) and people claim that good results are to come.

My acne is only around my mouth/chin/jawline , and i only get white-heads that surface pretty easily.

Has anyone else had a similar initial breakout/purge?

Im hoping that my acne isnt as "deep" as cystic acne, and that this means my IB will be short lived. ill keep at it anyway, i know theres a long way to go before decent results.

#24 Roisin75

Roisin75

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:31 AM

Hi - I hope you don't think what I'm going to say is too negative - it's just the experience that I have had. I recently completed a course of Accutane, but before that I was on the combination of Tetralysal and Differin. The Tetralysal did absolutely nothing for me at all and though the Differin really improved the texture of my skin I still experienced a continuous and awful breakout that resulted in me taking Accutane. I was on the Tetralysal for aprox 5 months and the Differin for 4.

The thing that I wish I had stuck at and feel would really have worked had I given it time was the combination of Differin in the morning and Duac (topical antibiotic + 5% bp) in the evening. I gave up far too soon because of the burning sensation from the Duac which I now realise was probably made much worse because of the other products I was layering it with. When I gave up my skin was becoming very smooth and my breakouts were down to about one or two spots at a time.

There is also a topical retinoid called Epiduo which combines Adapalene (differin) and 2.5% bp - it sounds extremely effective. BP is very good at killing the acne bp and clearing congestion.

My experience is that Differin needs quite a powerful anti-bacterial product to combine with to make it really work.
Roaccutane course completed 19th February 2012

#25 Jakebakedacake

Jakebakedacake

eggomyeggo

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:00 PM

Roison- Just so you know, Differin is supposed to be applied at night, not in the morning, because it increases one's sensitivity to light. Does anyone have any experience with Biose blackhead removal pads? Thanks.

My face is slowly getting better. For now, at least.

My Regimen

Morning

Shower

Night

Shower

Apply Ziana

Morning Supplements

Multivitamin

Night Time Supplements

Multivitamin

#26 Roisin75

Roisin75

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 March 2012 - 03:59 AM

Differin is fine to apply in the morning if you use a sunscreen. Benzol Peroxide also increases one's sensitivity to light.

Edited by Roisin75, 28 March 2012 - 04:00 AM.

Roaccutane course completed 19th February 2012

#27 Jakebakedacake

Jakebakedacake

eggomyeggo

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:13 PM

Mid-Week update: Skin still improving. Im still skeptical, but maybe it's finally starting to kick in. I'll update again when I have completed 11 weeks, which will be in a few days.

My Regimen

Morning

Shower

Night

Shower

Apply Ziana

Morning Supplements

Multivitamin

Night Time Supplements

Multivitamin

#28 Jakebakedacake

Jakebakedacake

eggomyeggo

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:03 PM

11 week update: Well I have passed the 11 week mark, and to date, the results have been bitter-sweet. My skin will look better, then break out. Then look clear, then break out. It's very frustrating. However, I think I can say with confidence that since day 1 my acne has improved by at least 35%, maybe 40% on a good day. I'll let you know how things are going at the 12 week mark, which is how long it takes to "realize the full effects" of Differin cream 0.1%.

My Regimen

Morning

Shower

Night

Shower

Apply Ziana

Morning Supplements

Multivitamin

Night Time Supplements

Multivitamin

#29 Jakebakedacake

Jakebakedacake

eggomyeggo

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 09 April 2012 - 12:43 AM

Well, I have completed the full 12 weeks of treatment, and the results are somewhat clouded. For the past week, I have been skiing. I forgot to wear sunblock, and got burned. Particularly in the spots where I have has the most trouble with acne. I did not stop applying Differin as usual, but I combined it with moisturizer, and lots of it. Not to mention, besides the burning, my face was very windblown all week. At this time, I simply cannot make a thorough examination of how Differin worked for me, due to the various conditions my skin experienced throughout the week. I will, however, make an educated estimate: I would have to say that my face is approximately 50% clearer than it was 12 weeks ago. I really wish that I could provide more information, but due to the current state of my skin (burned, dry, crusty) I will have to wait another week or two before I give you my final, detailed report.

My Regimen

Morning

Shower

Night

Shower

Apply Ziana

Morning Supplements

Multivitamin

Night Time Supplements

Multivitamin

#30 Jakebakedacake

Jakebakedacake

eggomyeggo

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:03 PM

13 weeks completed: I am going to give my final report next week, as the places where I was burned have only just finished healing, and consequently, right where I was burned, I broke out. It seems that 99% of my lesions now are ones that have a white, poppable head on them. For me, this is an interesting observation. Ok so I will update you guys in a weeks time. THANKS!

My Regimen

Morning

Shower

Night

Shower

Apply Ziana

Morning Supplements

Multivitamin

Night Time Supplements

Multivitamin

#31 Jakebakedacake

Jakebakedacake

eggomyeggo

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:07 AM

Well, I have now applied Differin (Adapalene) 0.1% cream to my face for 14 weeks straight. Today, I will share with you my end results, and tell you what my plans are for the future. I will start by telling you that I experienced ZERO irritation when using this product, even around my eyes and lips. It made my skin soft as a bunny, and gave it a nice radiant glow. As for it's effectiveness, the results have been rather murky. In the first 4 weeks of treatment, I saw little change on my face, other than the usual (pimple comes in, another one fades) so basically it all balanced out to no changes. Weeks 5-8, I saw a little improvement, followed by more zits. Then we come to weeks 9-14, which where VERY confusing. First, my face was getting steadily better, then right around week 11-12, I was Skiing, and my face got horribly sunburned (mostly around my lips, upper cheeks and nose) and I didn't know how to handle it. I did NOT stop applying Differin, even over the burned areas, but I applied it with moisturizer. So all in all, for a week, I applied about half the Differin I normally apply. Then, once my sunburn cleared up, my face took a downturn. I got many new pimples, especially in the places that I was sunburned in. Then at the end of week 12/beginning of week 13, I popped a puss filled zit on my lip, which then became inflamed with spewing puss. This turned out to be a staph infection, and I am now taking oral Augmentin (amoxicillin) antibiotics for it and I am applying Bactroban antibiotic ointment to it 3X a day. It is almost gone, as of now. Last Wednsday, when I went to the doctor about the lesion on my lip (this was the day she gave me antibiotics) she decided to give me Epiduo gel, instead of refill my Differin. I have been using this since Wednsday night. Epiduo has 0.1% Adapalene just like Differin, but it also has 2.5% Benzoyl Peroxide, which Differin doesn't have. Even so, I will consider my final results to be accurate. RIGHT NOW AS I AM WRITING THIS POST, my face is 90% clear. It's not perfect yet, but I am confident that the Epiduo will clear the rest. Also, through this entire process, I have taken a LOT of vitamin A (I stopped doing that at week 11) and a lot of anti-acne multivitamins. I have also spot treated with a 10% Benzoyl Peroxide gel. Therefore, I cannot say with TOTAL certainty that it was Differin, and only Differin, that cleared my face. But I believe firmly that Differin did the heavy lifting, and I would recommend it to anyone with Mild-Moderate acne. Remember, this was the 0.1% cream I used, NOT the 0.3% gel. If you have acne that is worse than Mild-Moderate, you should request the 0.3% gel from you doctor, instead of the 0.1%. Anyways, Thank You all very much for all of your kindness and support! I hope to create a new log for my Epiduo Expedition, and I will be thrilled to see you all follow it. THANKS!

Edited by Jakebakedacake, 22 April 2012 - 10:12 AM.

My Regimen

Morning

Shower

Night

Shower

Apply Ziana

Morning Supplements

Multivitamin

Night Time Supplements

Multivitamin

#32 Stubbs

Stubbs

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:18 AM

Great story bro :) I have a similar situation: I got more blackheads from the Differin, but no more cysts and pimples.

I do get small zits here and there after shaving. My issue with Differin is that it's made my nose area oily and shiny. I will stick with it after hearing people say they've been on it for years, keeping them clear.

#33 Nasser1

Nasser1

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 April 2012 - 04:29 PM

Hi,

Thanks for sharing, I am now 2 and half weeks in Differin. I am using it to soften the appearance of some of scarred pores I have . I notice they show more now than before, I am not sure if differin made them worse or this is just my imagination.

Have you experienced scars or enlarged pores when using Differin ?

#34 Jakebakedacake

Jakebakedacake

eggomyeggo

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:02 PM

Differin does different things to different people's skin. Just stick with it, because after a while, it WILL give you the results you want. I'm on Epiduo now, which is the same as Differin, but it has a low concentration of benzoyl peroxide as well. I think I have noticed my pores slightly enlarged since I began Differin. Good luck!

My Regimen

Morning

Shower

Night

Shower

Apply Ziana

Morning Supplements

Multivitamin

Night Time Supplements

Multivitamin

#35 chickle

chickle

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:45 AM

Great stuff bro, nice job with the differin.

Im going double-approach with Differin 0.1 and 200mg of doxycycline a day, just passed week 3 yesterday. Skin isn't great but is much smoother. Time shall tell!

#36 Jakebakedacake

Jakebakedacake

eggomyeggo

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 10 May 2012 - 10:16 PM

Yeah let me know how the doxycycline is working for you, I was planning to ask my dermatologist about an oral antibiotic when I see him again in June. Good luck!

My Regimen

Morning

Shower

Night

Shower

Apply Ziana

Morning Supplements

Multivitamin

Night Time Supplements

Multivitamin

#37 Jakebakedacake

Jakebakedacake

eggomyeggo

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 12 May 2012 - 11:20 PM

I am quickly loosing faith in this regimen my doctor put me on. Overall, I would say I'm 20-25% better off than I was 17 weeks ago, and thats on a good day. I will be seeing a dermatologist in a months time, so maybe I can develop a more comprehensive treatment plan with him. What would you guys recommend I ask him? I was thinking of requesting some antibiotics, such as doxycycline. My acne is not nearly severe enough for Accutane, so thats out of the question. Has anyone tried Tazorac/Retin-A? Maybe a combination of an oral antibiotic, and a different retinoid would be more effective. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

My Regimen

Morning

Shower

Night

Shower

Apply Ziana

Morning Supplements

Multivitamin

Night Time Supplements

Multivitamin

#38 chickle

chickle

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 16 May 2012 - 05:30 AM

Hey buddy if you look under the differin diaries I made a post referencing a research paper of differin and adapalene showing something like 70-85% acne improvement over a 12 week course (on 300 or so patients - good strong study). Highly recommend it! i personally stay away from BP, its just a bit too harsh for sensitive skin as mine. Maybe yours can handle it..

#39 Jakebakedacake

Jakebakedacake

eggomyeggo

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 08 August 2012 - 03:28 PM

Saw my dermatologist, she kept me on Epiduo, but she added Sumadan Wash to my regimin. My face gets better, then breaks out. Gets better, then breaks out. Very frustrating.

My Regimen

Morning

Shower

Night

Shower

Apply Ziana

Morning Supplements

Multivitamin

Night Time Supplements

Multivitamin

#40 Jakebakedacake

Jakebakedacake

eggomyeggo

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 23 September 2012 - 07:49 PM

I have discontinued the Epiduo, and am now on Ziana, Solodyn, and Sumadan. Please see my new posting @ http://www.acne.org/...adan-wash-logs/

My Regimen

Morning

Shower

Night

Shower

Apply Ziana

Morning Supplements

Multivitamin