ice pick aha alpha hydroxy acid

71 replies to this topic

#41 hopefulgirl123

hopefulgirl123

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 March 2012 - 02:13 PM

When u see your derm ask him for something to fade the hyper pigmentation. The bha you are using will help some. But Hydroquinone works the best. You can buy it over the counter in the 2% but you have to get the 4% from a doctor. Murad has something with the 2%. Its called Post acne lightning gel. You can get it at sephora or ultra. Obagi makes a cream with 4%. You can buy it at some derm or plastic surgeons office.

Thanks for the info! Is there any chance that these creams could break me out?
24 yo female
Taking 100 mg spironolactone with breakfast (since 1/19/12)
Wash face 2x a day with Foaming Facial Cleanser (by Clean and Clear)
Apply topical salicylic acid 1x at night
Apply facial moisturizer with SPF 1x in the morning

#42 hopefulgirl123

hopefulgirl123

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:22 PM

Day 61 on 100mg Spironolactone

Hello everyone, just letting you know my skin is doing fine. I had 2-3 actives last week, but they're all gone now.
I have no actives right now, hooray!!!!
My skin texture still sucks. I can't wait til it's SMOOOOOTHHHHH. When I put liquid foundation, the lack of smoothness becomes more evident.

Just happy that my skin is doing better Posted Image
24 yo female

#43 KateLibby

KateLibby

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:55 AM

Hi. It shouldn't break you out. I have never used the Murad with the 2%. But I did use the obagi with the 4%.i didn't have any problems with it. I did see where the Murad skin lightening gel has good reviews though. Glad your skin is doing good.

#44 hopefulgirl123

hopefulgirl123

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:10 PM

Day 69 on 100mg Spiro

Unfortunately my skin isn't completely clear.. I guess I wasn't really expecting 100% improvement at this point. I have one huge pimple on my left cheek. I have a few clogged pores. Clogged pores are SOOOO frustrating because you KNOW it can turn into something bigger but there's nothing you can do about it!!! This big one I have on my cheek started out as a visible clogged pore... and then it turned into a monster. Ugh.

I still have tons of hyperpigmentation. It's really annoying because I have to layer on the Bare Minerals... but I still don't have full coverage. Still debating whether or not I should get a liquid concealer for everyday use.

Other than that my skin is doing okay. I honestly wouldn't even care that much about my one big pimple if I didn't have all this hyperpigmentation to go along with it!

Anyway, I'm still hopeful my skin will look better .... eventually!
24 yo female

#45 hopefulgirl123

hopefulgirl123

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:20 PM

Day 71 on 100mg spiro

-My skin isn't doing so well right now. I currently have 3 huge actives (on my cheeks of course) and a few others that are healing. UGHHHHHHH so hideous!!!! It's especially bad when I look up close and see how the texture of my skin isn't smooth.
-I'm going to see the dermatologist in a couple of weeks... I wonder what he'll recommend.
24 yo female

#46 hopefulgirl123

hopefulgirl123

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:49 AM

Day 84 on 100mg Spironolactone

My journey with spiro has seriously been a rollercoaster ride... and it's not even 3 months.

My skin is doing okay right now. I have a couple actives. The thing that bothers me a lot (other than hyperpigmentation) is that my skin texture is not smooth. When I look super close at my face, I can see bumps from previous actives and some clogged pores. I just want my skin to be SMOOOOOOOTH.

I've changed up my skin care regimen a bit. I've added 2% salicylic acid and I put BP on every other day. BP was just too drying. Even though I had been using it routinely, my skin woud still flake from it! It was really annoying. My solution to that: use BP every other day, only at night. I've also added a different moisturizer. Here's my detailed regimen:

In shower:
- Exfoliate with St. Ives Scrub (not every single day)
- Cleanse with Clean & Clear Foaming Facial Cleanser - I LOVE this cleanser because it foams up really nicely.
After shower:
- Thin layer of Neutrogena 3 in 1 salicylic acid gel - I'm sooo happy I found this gel. It smells good and feels good when I put it on! I highly recommend using this product.
- Moisturize with Aveeno Positively Radiant SPF 15 face lotion - This lotion is supposed to improve skin texture and tone. I really hope it does!!!!
Make-up:
- Cover blemishes first with Clinique Even Better Liquid Foundation - I've found that this liquid foundation isn't the best coverage, but there is definitely a noticeable difference after putting it on. It's supposed to improve skin tone after a while. Hence, the "even better" in its name.
- All over face: Bare Minerals

NIGHT
- Jojoba oil to wipe off makeup - I recently discovered jojoba oil. It can be used to moisturize and to wipe off makeup! How cool is that?
- Cleanse with Clean & Clear Foaming Facial Cleanser
- Thin layer of Neutrogena salicylic acid gel
- Every other night: 2.5% Benzoyl Peroxide
- Moisturize with Aveeno Positively Radiant SPF 15 lotion
24 yo female

#47 cl1234

cl1234

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Running, Walking my dog, Ice Skating, Pointless drives with music blasting

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:35 AM

Just wanted to let you know that I am going through just about the same as you! My breakouts are a lot less than they were, but the remnants of old breakouts are still healing which has left my skin texture far from smooth! Also, in regards to your flaking, I deal with the same thing with my Retin-A I have been using it for about half a year and I STILL flake at night. I'm interested to see how your new routine goes! I recently started only using it 3 times a week, so we'll see what happens with that. We're almost to the three month mark!!! It seems like it's been FOREVER!

#48 hopefulgirl123

hopefulgirl123

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:49 AM

Day 92 on 100mg Spiro

Wow it's been 3 months since I started Spironolactone, and I am happy to say that it has DEFINITELY improved my skin. Since my last post 8 days ago, I haven't had a new active. It could be the 2% salicylic acid I added to my regimen... or it could just be the spiro. Who knows!! I'm just happy that I'm dealing with ONLY hyperpigmentation and not current breakouts.

My chest and back are still clear. I haven't had any problems with those areas since I started spiro. Woohoo! So excited to be able to wear tank tops and low back tops in the summer without feeling too self conscious.

I'm going to see the derm next Monday and ask for suggestions about my dark marks!

Still hopeful!!!
24 yo female

#49 hopefulgirl123

hopefulgirl123

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 April 2012 - 01:30 AM

Day 96 on 100mg Spiro

I got 2 new actives right after my previous post!!! Fortunately, both seem to be going down. They haven't come to a head, and I don't think they will! Seems like my body and my medicine are taking care of the actives without the need for popping.

I just ordered Olay Professional (ProX) Advanced Cleansing System. I had been looking into the Clarisonic MIa 2, but hesitated to purchase it due to its high price tag ($150). I was reading reviews about the Clarisonic when I came across the Olay ProX System. It's gotten great reviews on various websites, so I bought it!! Less than $30 on Amazon!!!!! I'm super excited to start using it next week when it comes in the mail! I'll let you guys know how it goes.
http://www.olay.com/...id=075609037047

Edited by hopefulgirl123, 14 April 2012 - 01:32 AM.

24 yo female

#50 hopefulgirl123

hopefulgirl123

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:15 PM

Day 99 on 100mg Spiro

My skin is the same as my last post.. still recovering from a couple of actives I had last week. My skin still isn't smooth. I notice these small bumps that aren't exactly actives. Not sure what they are!

I had my 4th treatment of non-ablative fractional laser treatment today. It's called Sellas Laser. I found this website that explains it pretty well:
http://urepublic.com...cing-SELLAS.pdf

Key points of Sellas Laser:
-reduced downtime because "adjacent normal tissue" can help with healing the parts of your skin that actually got the laser
----- Every time I've gotten this laser treatment, I still go to work the next day. My skin is super red for a couple of days, but I can put makeup on to cover that up.
----- The thing that is a bit annoying is that my skin gets flaky and sandy for a couple of days. That's a bit more difficult to cover up, but not impossible.
-It can take up to 5 treatments to see results
----- It's hard for me to tell if there's a difference right now because I keep getting new actives and thus new dark marks.
-It might not be AS painful as ablative laser treatments
----- It's still painful. It's seriously awful. UGH just thinking about my treatment earlier today makes me cringe. Even though they put numbing cream on my face, the procedure hurts soooo much!

I also saw the dermatologist this morning. He gave me a prescription for a HUGE supply of 100mg Spironolactone. If my skin keeps getting better, I won't have to go to the doctor's office til the end of 2012 (because that's how long my refills will last)! I asked him about my dark marks and he recommended Microdermabrasion. I told him about my laser treatment, and he said to wait at least 2 weeks. I asked him about fading creams, and he said his patients have seen "fair" results with hydroquinone creams and honestly thinks it isn't worth it. So, he didn't write me a prescription for the fading cream. I will rely on time, my laser treatments, and microdermabrasion. So much $$!!!!

Edited by hopefulgirl123, 16 April 2012 - 06:17 PM.

24 yo female

#51 cl1234

cl1234

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Running, Walking my dog, Ice Skating, Pointless drives with music blasting

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:35 PM

Do you have tiny little bumps all over your chin and around your nose and stuff? Is that what you mean by little bumps? Because that is what seems to have happened to me! I have a bunch of tiny bumps that you can see when the skin is stretched out and stuff!

#52 hopefulgirl123

hopefulgirl123

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:59 PM

@cl1234 - My bumps are just spread out on my cheeks. My cheeks are doing a little better, but still not clear. The bumps aren't really on my chin. When I do stretch out my skin, I can see clogged pores. ):

Day 105 on 100 mg Spiro

Skin's doing okay. Have a few new bumps. Two actives that are on their way out. So sick of getting new actives. When will it stop?? Honestly I wouldn't mind having new actives if my hyperpigmentation weren't present. The dark marks stress me out as much as or even more than actives.

I had my 4th treatment of non-ablative fractional laser this past Monday, but I can't tell if it's helping. I keep getting new dark marks so maybe my older dark marks have gotten lighter.. but I still have newer dark marks! Very annoying!

I recently bought the Olay ProX Advanced Cleansing System. I really wanted the Clarisonic Mia 2 but didn't want to pay the $150, so I researched and found out that the Olay brush is comparable. I'm sure it's not AS good, but it still works. I feel that it really does clean my skin thoroughly! It helps make sure all my makeup has been taken off my face.
http://www.olay.com/skin-care-products/olay-professional/advanced-cleansing-system?pid=075609037047
On Amazon, it's really cheap! <$30
24 yo female

#53 cl1234

cl1234

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:59 AM

Just wanted to see how you were doing! I hope you're hanging in there. I know what you mean about the stress of marks. I used to never have problems with marks, but when I started spiro and my breakouts got worse and more frequent I began to get marks. The most frustrating part was when you have marks from your last breakout then get a NEW breakout! The ONLY sort of good news is that my breakouts are getting less frequent.. just wish they weren't there! Don't get discouraged! I always thought three months was supposed to be the lucky number, but I have read probably almost every review of spiro on the internet (I'm only kind of exaggerating haha) and it seems a lot of people see results at 4,5,6 months too.

#54 hopefulgirl123

hopefulgirl123

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:18 PM

Just wanted to see how you were doing! I hope you're hanging in there. I know what you mean about the stress of marks. I used to never have problems with marks, but when I started spiro and my breakouts got worse and more frequent I began to get marks. The most frustrating part was when you have marks from your last breakout then get a NEW breakout! The ONLY sort of good news is that my breakouts are getting less frequent.. just wish they weren't there! Don't get discouraged! I always thought three months was supposed to be the lucky number, but I have read probably almost every review of spiro on the internet (I'm only kind of exaggerating haha) and it seems a lot of people see results at 4,5,6 months too.

Hey I'm doing okay... My skin isn't perfect, but I'm sure it does look better than before I started spiro or the early breakout from spiro. I am breaking out less like you, so I guess I should be happy about that!
I'm still hopeful that my skin will be clear-ish in another month or so. Just not sure what to do about all my red marks. I have too many to deal with! Ugh!
Anyway, glad to hear you're breaking out less! Posted Image
24 yo female

#55 hopefulgirl123

hopefulgirl123

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:24 PM

Day 113 on 100mg Spiro

-I'm a bit depressed right now. I haven't felt this way in a while. My skin does not seem to be doing that much better. I'm still getting actives, and my hyperpigmentation is all over my 2 cheeks. I'm not sure what to do at this point. It's been almost 4 months since I started spiro. How much longer do I have to wait to see better results??
24 yo female

#56 cl1234

cl1234

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 May 2012 - 01:30 AM

Hang in there girl. I am right there with ya. I'm still breaking out some. :-/ whats your regimen like? I've been trying to tweak mine because I think that has something to do with it.

#57 hopefulgirl123

hopefulgirl123

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 May 2012 - 05:04 PM

Day 126 on 100mg Spironolactone

Wow, it's been a long time since I started spiro! 18 weeks!!! Over 4 months!!

My skin is doing better... It's nowhere near perfect. Not even a little bit. My hyperpigmentation is still killing me. I hate looking at my face in the mirror with or without makeup. Even with makeup, some hyperpigmentation peeks through. I am happy that right now, I don't have any actives. I had a couple last week, but compared to my initial breakout, this was nothing. I hope to continue to have fewer and fewer actives each week. It's a nice feeling waking up and not seeing any actives on my face. It's a rare feeling, I must say.

My regimen still includes:
Jojoba oil to take off makeup
Clean and Clear Foaming Cleanser (has an anti-bacteria active ingredient)
Olay Pro X to ensure all my makeup is off
Salicylic acid all over
BP (every other day)
Aveeno moisturizer

Still hopeful!
24 yo female

#58 hopefulgirl123

hopefulgirl123

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 May 2012 - 11:10 PM

Day 137 on 100mg Spiro

+ I've noticed my dark marks have gotten lighter! Hooray! However, I'm still dealing with some REALLY dark ones - these were more recent actives.
+ No current actives! I haven't had an active in over a week. It's AMAZING!! So happy about this. Posted Image
+ Staying positive and hopeful!

+ I've come to a realization that no one is perfect, and I have to accept that. I have to accept the fact that I'm not perfect, and neither is my skin. I've grown up with the mentality that everything in my life (of course including my looks) needs to be flawless. I'm beginning to see how unrealistic this is and that it's okay to have some flaws. Sure, it's not pretty to see dark marks on my face when I have no makeup on, but I'm getting more and more okay with it. I'm not saying I don't care at all... but I'm trying really hard not to let it affect me as much as it used to. Letting go of perfection and accepting imperfection is... freeing.

Current Makeup Routine:

- Bare Minerals Primer http://www.bareescen...=1&cgid=BE_PREP

- Clinique Even Better Liquid Foundation spf 15 http://www.clinique....F-15/index.tmpl
OR
- Bare Minerals

If I do liquid, I also finish with Bare Minerals powder and Mineral Veil

Edited by hopefulgirl123, 25 May 2012 - 11:19 PM.

24 yo female

#59 hopefulgirl123

hopefulgirl123

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 June 2012 - 07:07 PM

Wow, I don't even know what day I'm on. I started Spironolactone on January 19, 2012, so it's been about 5 months. MY SKIN IS DOING SO WELL. I cannot emphasize how happy I am with my skin. What I went through in the beginning was SOOOO worth it. The last pimple I had (which was a few days ago) was tiny. I didn't even care about it at all! It's an amazing feeling waking up and not expecting a pimple. Before, I would wake up wondering what new pimple I had that day.

I HIGHLY recommend spiro for any of you who believe you have hormonal acne. My skin isn't oily, my hair isn't oily.. and... I HAVE NO CHEST OR BACK ACNE!!!! I didn't really have too much of a problem before spiro, but it definitely was not 100% clear... and now it is!!

Posted Image
24 yo female

#60 hopefulgirl123

hopefulgirl123

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 August 2012 - 04:42 PM

It's been about 7 months since I started Spironolactone. I can't believe it's been that long! My skin is doing awesome. I hardly ever get pimples! When I actually do get one, it's surprising and not devastating like it used to be. The last time I had a break out, it was due to my own bad habits - I started school again and I would rest my chin in my hands... a few days later: breakout on my chin! I've gotten out of the habit, so now my chin is clear.

For those of you struggling with Spiro:

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE give it time. It's not going to work quickly. It takes time, and it is SO worth it. I was really depressed in the beginning. My skin was HORRID. The worst it's ever been in my 23 years of living. Now, I don't obsess over my skin. I still take care of it with washes and lotion, but I don't think about it more than 2x a day (morning and night). YOU CAN DO IT!

Good luck!
24 yo female

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users