Photo

Starting Accutane! Need A Buddy :)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
77 replies to this topic

#61 inetus

inetus

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 February 2012 - 04:57 PM

Just finished my first month of 40mg a day. Honestly, it hasn't been as bad as I expected, but as of now my skin is worse than since I've started. I take weekly pictures, and you guys who are starting, I recommend you do it too. So far based on breakouts my 3rd week has been the worst. Now starting my 5th, the aftermath from 2 weeks ago is slowly leaving. My skin is only now starting to get dry but it's still not that bad. I apply some moisturizer when I wake up after washing my face and it has been enough to leave me skin normal for the entire day... It's strange. My lips are a desert though so yeah.

@lovely777 I haven't heard much about the dosage and your weight but I know that I'm not much different than you, 5'10 140lbs and I know that my derm said that if I don't see enough results after 2 months, she'll bump up my dosage.

#62 alesh31

alesh31

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 February 2012 - 08:07 PM

Just took my first pill today!!! Obviously, no effects yet. My doctor is starting me off at 20 mg once per day. So nervous but I'm taking the plunge :)...good luck everyone!

#63 MgX

MgX

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 56
About Me

Achievements

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:34 AM

• hey guys........... still deciding whether to take accutane or not....................... my pictures are in my Gallery..... please please leave any message or comment....... i'm really at my wit's end here>>>>>>

#64 JodieeeAnne

JodieeeAnne

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:54 AM

I wish I could join in but I've just had a derm appointment where I was prescribed one last antibiotic before the Accutane route. However, had an awful allergic reaction over the weekend and ended up in hospital!

Up side of that means I now get Accutane - bad side is I have to wait until May! Had a little strop that I know my face is going to go haywire between now and then but bring on the count down to accutane!!

I'll be following these posts religiously until then so expect me to be around spying !! x

#65 alesh31

alesh31

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 February 2012 - 02:04 PM

question for anyone who would know the answer:
My doctor put me on 20 mg once a day to start. I know I already said that in my last post but does anyone think that's too low? I'm 110 pounds, 5'2, and my acne is moderate. I don't want to be on accutane for like 6 months lol lemme know what you think!!

#66 darling_

darling_

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:23 PM

^ maybe because you're pretty petite! i'm around 120 / 5'6 and i was put on 40 mg to start and he told me this was a low dosage (which it for my weight i guess, you're supposed to take 1mg/kg or something... look around, there's a formula for the ideal accutane dosage to take for highest change of no remission)

it also depends on your derm, some are advocates of a really aggresive method but higher chance of side effects, some are more a fan of starting you off on low dosages and increasing incrementally to minimize side effects / IB - sounds like your derm is in the latter!

#67 sick-of-her-skin

sick-of-her-skin

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 March 2012 - 04:06 PM

Finished month 1 on 40 mg/day! My skin is improving in some areas a lot, but then I'm seeing breakouts in other areas that I never had acne in before. I also got bumped up to 60 mg/day which I'm kind of excited for, because my derm thinks I should really get some results after this month. (fingers crossed!) Anyone else noticing breakouts in places they nomally never have them? Like I mainly have issues with my forehead and chin T-zone prone breakouts, but now I'm getting rather extensive breakouts along my jaw and on the sides of my face...just seemed a little strange to me.

#68 rebecca3

rebecca3

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 March 2012 - 04:00 AM

Hi Everyone!

Just stumbled upon this log and it looks like I'm on a similar timeline to most of you... I'm about 2/3 through my second month, I started on 10 mg/day for the first month and now I'm on 20 mg/day. I'm not sure if I'll get bumped up again or stay here, but I have my next appointment next week so I guess I will find out then!

I'm a 26 year old female (5'5", 125) and I've had mild-moderate acne since I was a teenager. I don't react well to anything with Benzoyl Peroxide in it, and the only thing that has seemed to work well for me was a combination of Spironylactone and Retin-A (Tazorac). It cleared up my skin but made it pretty flaky, plus I was looking for a more permanent solution so I finally decided to try Accutane!

The first month, I broke out during the 2nd-3rd weeks, but then my skin got a lot better in the 4th week. After my dosage was bumped up, I started breaking out again at the beginning of the second month. Now it looks like it's getting better again, so it seems to be a bit cyclical for me where it's a quick reaction to a new/increased dose... As far as side effects, I really haven't had anything too bad. My lips are dry but Carmex/Aquaphor make it unnoticeable. I got pretty dry skin/bumps on my wrists a couple days ago but again, Aquaphor took care of it pretty much immediately. Nothing else to report but I guess that's not too surprising since my dose is relatively low.

Looking forward to continuing to hear how everyone else's progress is coming!

#69 singh1993

singh1993

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:04 AM

hi guys! im just starting with accutane today. i been told by my dermatologist to start with 20mg a day which i was thinking is slightly low as i weigh 163 lbs (74kg) and it says on the leaflet given with the medicine that 0.5 mg per kg of body weight is what we should start off with.
well anyway i wanted to ask if anyone knows if intense exercise will decrease the effects of accutane? because i seen on one website that intense exercise may even reverse the effects of accutane. im not talking about doing heavy weights but more of intense cardio and body weight exercises.

#70 alesh31

alesh31

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:01 AM

Hi everyone. Is anyone experiencing intense soreness in their upper back and upper part of their arms? I'm so so so sore and I haven't even been doing anything too active for the past 3 days or so. I'm guessing it's the joint pain but it really sucks, especially considering I'm only on the lowest dosage. I'm afraid of how my body will react when my derm ups it. Ugh!

#71 lovely777

lovely777

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 March 2012 - 11:36 PM

hey alesh, sorry to hear about the pain. i have not had any pain, but if i did i probably wouldnt notice much as i always have low back pain for some reason. i am hoping that your pain is something else because you have just started. maybe you could call the derm and ask him/her what they think if you are worried, or maybe just take it easy for the next couple of days and see if it goes away. maybe some ice or bengay, and a nice heating pad for your back. i hope you feel better and i hope it is not the meds too.

#72 rebecca3

rebecca3

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 March 2012 - 02:47 AM

Hi Alesh - I haven't had too much random pain like that without a trigger, but I've noticed that my body gets much sorer after exercise... I walked around for most of the day Saturday which typically wouldn't affect me much, but I felt like I could hardly move on Sunday! I notice soreness after going to the gym too, even though I only do cardio. I hope it's only temporary and that you feel better soon!

I've been having a frustrating week - I'm almost done with my second month and my skin started to get better around the middle of the month but now I'm breaking out again all along my jawline. My next appointment is on Friday so we'll see what my derm says. I'm only on 20mg/day this month (a little under 0.5mg/kg) so I think I'll probably get bumped up again, but I'm just getting really anxious to see positive results! I'm getting married in just over four months so the pressure is on :-)

For the rest of you around the same timeline as me - how is it going? Are you already seeing positive results? I know my dosage is lower than most so I guess I should be expecting that my progress will go pretty slowly...

#73 lovely777

lovely777

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:52 PM

hey rebecca, i am in the same boat you are in, the first month my face was really dry and broke out and in the second month it cleared up quite a bit and the dryness started to stop, now just a few breakouts here and there but no change in my skin either, i am two months in, and i took a 4 day break like two weeks ago because i was sick, so idk if that has something to do with it, but from the stories that i hear, accutane is a gradual fix and can take the full six months to see great results and that the full effect of perfect skin is not seen until after you stop taking the pills like four weeks after, i think that is when the old red spots start to fade out or something!? dont worry you are not alone here, i am going through the same thing you are. cycles of good and bad, but hopefully in the end it will all be good! good luck to you!

#74 sick-of-her-skin

sick-of-her-skin

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:05 PM

Hi everyone. Is anyone experiencing intense soreness in their upper back and upper part of their arms? I'm so so so sore and I haven't even been doing anything too active for the past 3 days or so. I'm guessing it's the joint pain but it really sucks, especially considering I'm only on the lowest dosage. I'm afraid of how my body will react when my derm ups it. Ugh!

yep! I'm going into my 4th month. first 2 months I was on 40mg/day and didn't have any of the side effects besides the dry lips really, and now @ 60mg/day I have pretty bad back pain, knee pain, and just an overall increased amount of body soreness after any activity. It's the worst when I wake up in the morning, but I find that throughout the day, and the more I stretch out, the better it eases up. Sorry to hear you're having these annoying aches at the lowest dosage. My derm told me to skip on days I thought I would be working out harder, but I'm just trying to tough it out.
On the plus side, my skin is REALLY starting to show improvement now! :D finally! So anyone in the first few months of treatment struggling, and feeling pessimistic about it, I can tell you personally, I am at the turning point where all of it is proving to be worth it!

#75 rebecca3

rebecca3

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:00 AM

thanks guys! It's been a while since my post but things are definitely looking up... actually only about a day or two after my last post the new pimples stopped and remained at bay for about 2 weeks! I've gotten a few here and there since then but overall it's MUCH better now. Almost done with month 3 and I just had an appointment today so I'm feeling a lot better about the progress.

I got bumped to 30 mg/day last month and I'm sticking to that this month as well. So pretty low dosage overall.

How are things looking for you, Lovely and others?

#76 lovely777

lovely777

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:05 PM

well things are going very well here!! i have see great results, and my face looks great and is dry still, i am very pleased over all!! i still have small breakouts here and there, but i stil lhave two months left, and am very excited to see what will happen in that time and afterwards, because your face gets better even after you stop taking it, good luck to all!

#77 Elice222

Elice222

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 May 2012 - 07:46 AM

Hi Alesh,

I was wondering how long you experienced such back pain. Also I was wondering if it is possible that it is just due to tight back muscles rather than something joint related?

I am on 40mg, am 5'10" and weigh 120 in my second month of treatment (the first month I started at 20mg). I began experiencing bad upper back pain almost instantly with 20mg. I noticed the the muscles along either side of my spine are extremely tight, as well as my lat's. I was thinking that. I get some relief from stretching and yoga, but not enough.

#78 sandyshania

sandyshania

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:25 PM

Hi,how are things going with everyone. :)