Photo

The Predictable Cycle Of New Posters (Consider Reading Before Posting)

low glycemic gluten

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 FaceValues

FaceValues

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 16
About Me

Achievements

Posted 25 January 2012 - 03:04 PM

Welcome to the Nurition and Holistic Health Forum! Perhaps this is the first forum you clicked from the index to see what all this acne having a correlation to diet and lifestyle idea is about but chances are you've already tried various topicals or prescriptions for your complexion and nothing really continued to be effective (if ever at all). Maybe you've already tried cutting out dairy and sugar, two common sources of aggravation to acne. Or perhaps you have no idea where to even begin as far as a holistic approach is concerned. This forum is the perfect place to clear all of that up and all the information you need to get started has already been provided. A tremendous amount of energy, I feel, is used to address the most repetitive concerns of newcomers when it could be redirected to help the people who have made somewhat of an effort to grasp the concepts already described in both the stickies and threads from a million years ago. Below is the most common example of how new posters go about utilizing the information at their disposal and how in a way they doom their own success.

Phase 1. Lurks for a short amount of time to barely grasp an acne/diet connection. The amount of information is overwhelming and immediately instills a need for guidance (as this approach isn't just "take this supplement/antibiotic/use this cream" it requires a certain degree of autonomous thinking on behalf of those who would like to successfully travel this route). So onto phase two.

Phase 2. Starts a "help me" thread. People come in and give answers and advice to questions that have already been answered and could have been referred to by simply using the search bar/reading more available content/typing it into a search engine ("what are nightshade vegetables?" "what is insulin resistance?" "what does the lymphatic system do?"). Realizes that strangers on the internet can't give specialized attention when having no basis to work off of. This person has never really eaten differently before or considered that how they eat is anything but healthy, since everyone else in America eats the same way (and of all those tame medical conditions, like diabetes, heart disease, cancer, hypertension, multiple sclerosis, this poor individual had to be cursed with acne). This instigates an onslaught of "why me why me, everyone else gets to eat what they want, why me". Still, people seem to know what they're doing here, so maybe they'll accept some of the tips they have to offer.

Phase 3. Every single time the simplest question arises, this person makes a thread about it. These make up most of the "Does _____ cause acne?", "Will I lose weight?", "Where will I get my nutrients from?", etc. threads. Instead of realizing that acne's connection with diet and lifestyle can be complicated, what with inflammation in the body (brought on by ignored food intolerances and sensitivities, a screwed omega 3:6 ratio, and a diet of empty carbohydrates), unbalanced hormones (xenoestrogens, prescriptions, insulin resistance, excess androgens, too much estrogen/not enough estrogen, DHT conversion, progesterone deficiency, anything to do with reproductive organs, thyroid), build-up in the main toxin removal systems (in the upper and lower gastrointestinal tract ((your gut)), liver, lymphatic system, kidneys, lungs), stress (your body can't tell the difference between real and imagined situations so when you feel stressed out, the body responds accordingly in the nervous system, a messed up sleep cycle, unresolved events in your past) this person thinks the real answer to their skin's issues lies in asking if eggs will break them out. C'mon, it's not that simple.

Phase 4. Starts to offer snippets of advice in other threads that are based on something their mom/friend/doctor just told them and is rarely followed up by even a simple internet search. When someone else comes along to say something like "Oh, well just because you broke out the next day doesn't necessarily mean it was from the eggs you ate and if you are noticing a pattern with the frequency of your breakouts and eggs, it doesn't really mean that everyone will have the same results", this person gets frustrated and sulkily continues to argue, maybe mumbling something along the lines of "it's not our fault our hormones are messed up", or some other nonsense. The more you commit yourself to a holistic approach, the more effective it will be. Yes, that means looking up things on your own (remember the day you googled 'acne' and this website showed up as a result? It's kind of like that, only you consider how different bodily processes affect your symptom. Everything in the body is connected. So spend some time looking up different bodily organs and their functions sometime).

Phase 5. Makes a "Diet Has Nothing To Do With Acne" thread after making minor modifications to their diet for a week or two, adding things like they were practically starving themselves having to avoid cheese, losing weight, and sometimes that their acne got even worse. The same people who helped them out in their first thread requesting assistance kind of roll their eyes and reiterate information that the person has been ignoring or not taking the trouble to look up themselves. Meanwhile people like you, dear reader, are kind of put off by these posts because it looks like someone in need isn't getting help, when it's quite the opposite. They're getting tons of help but aren't ready to take responsibility for their own health in real life.

The more you think about it, what you put into your mouth, enjoy the flavor of while chewing, swallow, digest, having a direct affect on your entire being can seem pretty abstract and overwhelming, causing more of that lovely stress I mentioned earlier. So take it a step at a time!
Write down the following things, putting what seems like it'll be the hardest for you to avoid first. Mine would be:

Sugar
Only using water on skin
Dairy
All Grains, Gluten
Soy
High fructose corn syrup, canola oil, partially hydrogenated oils, etc.

Even while avoiding all these things, I found myself making small allowances for sweet things, or topicals (camellia oil, lemon juice, ACV, rolled oats, clay masks, A&C serum, willow bark extract, jojoba oil, etc.). It wasn't until I entirely cut them out that I saw the best results. So make a list to gauge how difficult it will be to avoid these things and just get the hardest one over with for at least a month. Whether or not you even want to make a commitment to the others is entirely up to you and how dedicated you're feeling. There are exceptions, of course, to all of these foods. Low glycemic sweets, kefir, quinoa/brown rice, tempeh,...I can't think of anything remotely beneficial about the last one...but you get the picture. Give up the one at the top of the list completely for a month, brownie points if you give up the top two or even ~*three*~. Then you can start looking into the alternatives/check out different supplements that may help you along the way. Keep a food journal and start taking photos of yourself (as unappealing as it may sound) on a monthly or bi-monthly (what I do) basis if you want personal resources to refer back to.

Our thinking when we get a new spot-treatment is to cover problem areas (which, at times, we think, is practically our whole face and kind of sigh) every night to be consistent and get results as soon as possible. If you get BCP or an antibiotic or even a supplement you've heard good things about, you take it every single time you're supposed to without your heart skipping a beat. But for some reason when it comes to what you're putting in your mouth on a regular basis, your mind kind of glazes over and you think "Nah, it can't possibly be that". You put it off, like it's a small homework assignment for a class you already have a C in. It's not like I haven't been there both in thinking that way and at school! But think about turning in that assignment the next day how much better you feel with it turned in and counting towards your overall grade. Feel good about eating what your body needs to thrive, do what you need to today to see results tomorrow. This forum is like your personal study group.

If you don't feel up to thinking about your skin this much (or at least, in a new light. I wouldn't doubt that you think about it often enough if you've come to a forum on how to make your skin smooth again) and are more comfortable with constantly wishing you didn't have acne (along the way getting your hopes up for a new topical or birth control or antibiotic, then getting let down. And believe me, most of us have been there, otherwise we wouldn't be here), this forum may not be for you right now. In another regard, it is for everyone all the time, because there is absolutely no one whose health is exempt from the effects of diet and lifestyle.

Edited by corgisoulpower, 27 January 2012 - 05:15 PM.

#2 Tunnelvisionary

Tunnelvisionary

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6
About Me

Posted 25 January 2012 - 04:35 PM

*stands up and claps*

#3 takenimpulse

takenimpulse

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 January 2012 - 06:09 PM

Anytime I have a question I always do a search under alternativista's name. Then a keyword thread title search. But always alternativista first. She's so dang knowledgable! And I trust her opinions.

#4 uncle buck

uncle buck

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 January 2012 - 08:41 AM

This thread brings up an interesting proposition. To people suffering acne, in their own heads - nothing will work. It's not your fault, you're a "victim" and you need to find something to blame. I remember because I lived in that mindset for many long years. "Why me?" just turned into "Why US?" when I joined the forum. Wading through waves of information and experiences brought me nothing, and I still can't explain why.

The door to the solution must be a clearer head and proper thought patterns. You can GIVE someone all the information they need. Here people, stop eating sugar! It's not going to work, because everyone has to connect their own dots. I remember when things started working for me, it was because I was making logical links to what was happening to my own body, and what I was doing to myself. Acne is a direct consequence of something we do. Not something that "happens" to us.

Digestion of information could be more important than the digestion of food, because that's how we make choices.

FOOD FOR THOUGHT!

#5 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 January 2012 - 09:51 AM

This thread brings up an interesting proposition. To people suffering acne, in their own heads - nothing will work. It's not your fault, you're a "victim" and you need to find something to blame. I remember because I lived in that mindset for many long years. "Why me?" just turned into "Why US?" when I joined the forum. Wading through waves of information and experiences brought me nothing, and I still can't explain why.

The door to the solution must be a clearer head and proper thought patterns. You can GIVE someone all the information they need. Here people, stop eating sugar! It's not going to work, because everyone has to connect their own dots. I remember when things started working for me, it was because I was making logical links to what was happening to my own body, and what I was doing to myself. Acne is a direct consequence of something we do. Not something that "happens" to us.

Digestion of information could be more important than the digestion of food, because that's how we make choices.

FOOD FOR THOUGHT!

Well, for me, it was when my now ex-husband developed type II diabetes despite not being very much over weight (physical activity and sleep are just about as important, people) and during the last big Atkins diet fad when I saw posts on Healthboards claiming the diet cleared their acne. I argued with them for a while, but then, started research and just 'got' that we are not meant to be consuming the kind of sugar we do these days. And that food is not just to fill you up. It's to provide nutrients.

The body can't deal with you drinking several sodas per day. It messes you up. Which is ironic because way back in Junior high I recall someone saying something about my acne and a friend saying 'she drinks too many cokes' but I said, no that's a myth. Diet doesn't affect acne.

Anytime I have a question I always do a search under alternativista's name. Then a keyword thread title search. But always alternativista first. She's so dang knowledgable! And I trust her opinions.

Thanks. But you should add Sweetjade to your searches. And lots of other people like the originators of many of the threads I link to.

#6 dejaclairevoyant

dejaclairevoyant

~clean body, beautiful life~

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 January 2012 - 01:34 PM

Excellent thread! EXCELLENT! :)

#7 Lola Burns

Lola Burns

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 January 2012 - 03:01 AM

Here's the thing with the internet: no quality control. Any yahoo can say anything with little or no evidence to back it up, or back up their claims with hearsay, myths or out right lies. It's not always easy or obvious to identify truth in a sea of horse shit. Science by nature is in constant evolution. So even when your information is coming from a reputable source, you never know when they'll discover something that contradicts with things you had every reason to believe was absolute fact. (Anyone else grow up believing Pluto was a planet?) It can be more than a little confusing and frustrating. What I like about this forum is that you get answers from people who don't stand to make a quick buck selling the superfood of the week or some fad diet or over-priced topical or a book.

Edited by Lola Burns, 28 January 2012 - 08:20 PM.

#8 FaceValues

FaceValues

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 16
About Me

Achievements

Posted 14 February 2012 - 04:09 PM

Posted Image

#9 Riddled

Riddled

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 February 2012 - 04:30 PM

Posted Image

#10 diareads

diareads

DiaReads

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 5
About Me

Posted 14 February 2012 - 07:25 PM

pin this!!

#11 k3tchup

k3tchup

RN

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:50 PM

yes^

lots of people are desperate. Like myself i just posted at will with little thought. Now i tend to reply to help people as ive found (generally) what works for me and watch some of my triggers are.

Although food and food allergies can be a cause i do not full support a diet is the cure all for everyone. Like myself. If anyone ate like i did they would break out in such a miserable way; thats because im different which means each person needs to realize we are not all the same though this information is to help you help yourself in determining. Be your own doctor if you will.

Anyway pin this. Thanks

#12 Riddled

Riddled

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 February 2012 - 03:15 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image