makeup acne-prone skin makeup

72 replies to this topic

#41 SimonUKOX

SimonUKOX

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:51 AM

I find Estee Lauder Double Wear foundation a life saver. Although its expensive, at £26.50, a bottle should last you two months. Plus, within a week of using it (instead of L'Oreal Infallible) my acne cleared up dramatically. The only time it's ever caused me trouble is when I don't take it off properly, especially along the jaw - though that is of course my own fault! Everyone's skin is different though, so maybe just try out a tester

#42 MgX

MgX

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 56
About Me
  • Interests:Bugger off..... fighting ACNE!

Achievements

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:29 PM

NO MAKE UP for me......

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.....

#43 LilDropofSunshine

LilDropofSunshine

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:23 PM

I honestly hate mineral makeup. I've tried multiple kinds, and my skin is just way too sensitive for it! Every kind I've tried has made me ridiculously itchy, and hasn't looked as good as liquid foundation.

My favorites are Revlon Colorstay (drugstore), and Estee Lauder Double Wear (more high end). They both provide amazing all day coverage without making my sensitive skin more sensitive, and without breaking me out.

#44 j0sephine

j0sephine

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:53 PM

i use the smashbox bb cream camera ready and i really love it. a little bit on the pricey side but i think it's all worth it.

#45 jfaye

jfaye

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:44 PM

Has anyone here tried Youngblood cosmetics? Specifically their pressed mineral foundation.

#46 skinnie

skinnie

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:44 AM

Stila perfect and correct? Expensive, but it hasn't broken me out the few times I've used it! (I have a tester!)

Current Regimen: 
AM: 

Olay Foaming Cleanser for Sensitive Skin 

3 pumps CeraVe PM

Dan's BP (every other day) - pea size
Olay Age Defying Daily Lotion for Sensitive Skin, SPF15

True Match W4.5 

Night 
Swipe with Neutrogena Rapid Clear Treatment Pad or Paula's Choice 2% BHA

Wait 10-30 minutes

Olay foaming cleanser for sensitive skin 

w/ Clarisonic Mia Acne Brush head - 1 minute (every other day) 

3 pumps CeraVe PM

Wait a few minutes

Tazorac -- pea size amount 

#47 LostAndDelirious

LostAndDelirious

Freedom at 21

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:53 PM

I've been using revlon colorstay foundation (combination/oily) for years now, it works well for my skin and I have acne.

Posted Image

#48 Jeve

Jeve

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:31 PM

......have not been using any kind of make-up since i had acne and i think it has helped a lot........ I just stuck out with the most mild cleansers and moisturizers ( heck i even make my own antibacterial toner)..... I just use a lot of lipbalm for my dry lips... Thats all.!!!!!!

Wow, good for you and thanks for responding about your experience. I am using Cover FX now and it does provide good coverage. I want to stop wearing makeup but am afraid of others perceptions of me and actually I think my scars and so on are ugly. I wear this makeup everyday and I just can't imagine doing it for the rest of my life, I know stopping the makeup cycle would probably help out my skin condition. I tend to break out a pick a bit so I really need to stop in order to let my face heal. How did you deal with the psychological effects of not wearing makeup to cover acne? or was your acne that bad to begin with? I'm relaly curious. Congrats again and your effort is inspiring.

#49 Geliney

Geliney

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:24 PM

I have been using Jane Iredale purepressed base for years, it changed my life after that. Comes in many colours so I was able to choose one that matches my skin tone well. Product is a lil pricey and the foundation lasted me for almost a year, and I put makeup daily. It's the only foundation that allows my skin to breath though... Have tried to convert to bb creams but they're way to oily for me...

#50 geminimier

geminimier

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 August 2013 - 01:51 AM

Sephora has this amazing primer/gel lotion tinted thing from Perkect (link below). I use it after moisturizer. It's a bit pricey (57$ for an ouncehuh.png ), but feels great on - smooth and comforting, not heavy at all. The coverage is kinda light - like a tinted moisturizer, but the texture of it is WAY better. Pat it on your face, rather than smearing it on.

I use it underneath Revlon's Colourstay or New Complexion liquid foundation (they have one for combo skin), applied with a wet sponge, on the areas that still need some cover. Then maybe some concealer, and powder. Finish off with ELF Makeup Mist (3$ at any drugstore).

http://www.sephora.c...&categoryId=B70

Back in a day Revlon Colorstay was great on my skin, didn't cause me break outs. Been very loyal to this product from 2006 to mid 2013. I got upset when I purchased it just recently for replenishment, I was surprised there were zits coming out, I was so devastated don't know what to do. So I thought maybe I should try their whip cream foundation, but to my dismay it did the same thing. I was so depressed I wasted money on trying out on make up. Now I've been using this korean bb cream for the meantime, Etude house but I also didn't like it because it has isopropyl myristate in its content, giving me zits but not as horrible as when I was using Revlon. Did major researches on what make up to buy, finally I decided to get the Make Up Forever HD foundation, but to my disappointment it was pulled out from my country, now I'm contemplating on buying Laura Mercier foundation. 

Edited by vanessmier, 09 August 2013 - 01:54 AM.

#51 geminimier

geminimier

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 August 2013 - 02:15 AM

Would anyone recommend Revlon Colourstay foundation?

A lot of people seem to love this foundation for it's great coverage but I've never tried it myself.
Was wondering what anyone here thought of it for people with acne?

I bought Revlon Colorstay about a month ago. I think it works very well for the price. I don't really have acne anymore, just PIH that I need to cover up, and Colorstay does the trick on my more faded marks. On the newer, fresher marks, I usually have to put a little concealer on top of the foundation. The finish is very matte and almost a bit powder-y looking, but not cakey...just a nice finish. It lasts a good while too. Also, it comes in many shades, which is great.

yeah Revlon was great back then, but not now, I guess its quality was downgraded just like VMV's. been loyal to this product since 2006, but later this year, suddenly this product gave me a lot of small bumps on my face and wasted money on trying out their other foundation products. tsk tsk... really made my world turned upside down. 

Edited by geminimier, 09 August 2013 - 02:15 AM.

#52 Oceanic

Oceanic

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Hiking, Biology, Mountains, Nature, Painting, Drawing

Posted 09 August 2013 - 12:58 PM

I never liked Revlon Colorstay. It felt way too heavy and cakey.

For the time being, I am using Vichy/Dermablend Smooth Indulgence Foundation. Pretty good coverage and it has spf, but it does make your face shiny after a while and it is pricey.

After I finish accutane, I am thinking of switching to either Estee Lauder Double Wear Foundation or Make Up Forever (Mat Velvet or HD). Which would be better/provide better coverage?

Started Accutane (Amnesteem): 25 July 2013

Month 1: 40 mg

Month 2: 60 mg

Month 3: 60 mg

Month 4: 60 mg

Month 5: 60 mg

Month 6: 40 mg

Done!

#53 teetee89

teetee89

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 September 2013 - 01:36 PM

MAC has actually had more issues than not. They're too thick and heavy for most people with acne or sensitive skins as Britta Peterson above said. Of course it doesn't affect everyone, as everyone is different. But I 100% agree with the CoverFX statement, they're fantastic! And they have acne treatment in their product. I trained in Esthetics with CoverFX and that would definitely be my recommendation to someone suffering from acne. A lot of the drugstore makeups, even Physicians Formula isn't the greatest, but it does work for some people. It just depends I guess! I hope everyone finds what they're looking for. Sephora is a great place to get great skin treatments and make up, so I agree with that too! =)

Make sure to avoid MAC face cosmetics. I have been an avid MAC user until my dermotologist told me to throw it away! Even many of the MAC consultants do not recommend their face products to acne/sensitive skinned people.

I've switched to Cover FX and I LOVE IT! It's full coverage speficially designed for people with acne, so there is absolutely no risk of it breaking you out. I 100% recommend it to anyone looking!

So silly. Just because MAC didn't work for you doesn't mean that it won't work for someone else. There are many MAC products that I absolutely love and have used for years without any special problems.

#54 teetee89

teetee89

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 September 2013 - 01:49 PM

I have suffered from acne my whole life, and even now in my adult life am suffering from acne and oil. I'm currently using Estee Lauder, it's a double wear liquid foundation and has caused no issues with my acne. But I would always suggest a primer under your foundation, and CoverFX actually makes one that treats acne as well as keeping you matte and your pores refined all day. As for no make up, it always helps to have a day or two of no cosmetics but unfortunately most people don't want to reveal their skin when it's breaking out, so I also suggest double cleansing your skin at the end of your day. And keep moisturized as your oil production will increase with lack of moisture. Always wash your make up off at the end of the day, your skin does it's healing at night when you're asleep. =) Good luck everyone! I hope you find what you're looking for. nod.gif

#55 UKdreamin

UKdreamin

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:31 PM

I've tried SO many foundations, from drugstore to high end, and the BEST one for acne-prone, oily/combination skin - is Make Up For Ever Mat velvet + - this controls my shine and covers ALL of my marks (unless I get a huge cystic bump, then I need a bit of MAC studio fix concealer on top) and you can't even tell I have acne

#56 Valerie44

Valerie44

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 18
About Me
  • Interests:I love spending time with my family and wonderful husband. I also enjoy going to the movies, working out, shopping, and anything to do with beauty. Plz feel free to add me as a friend, would love to chat with people who are going thru the same acne issues as me.

Achievements

Posted 23 October 2013 - 05:05 PM

I absolutely love makeup by Origins, my cousin got me hooked on it 14 years ago and I haven't looked back on anything else since!!! It hides acne and scars very well and the look is so natural !!! You can order it thru their main website or go to Macys smile.png

Edited by PinkBunny41, 23 October 2013 - 05:07 PM.

MORNING

Wash face with Skinceuticals Simply Clean
Neutrogena Sensitive Skin Moisturizer
Take Minocycline 100mg (when needed)

NIGHT
Take Spironolactone 50 mg
Wash face with Skinceuticals Simply Clean
Apply Aczone 5%
Retin-A .1% (waits 20 to 30 mins before applying)

MAKEUP

Origins Silk Screen Powder in Light Spice from Macys

Dermablend Smooth Indulgence Foundation
Lancôme Blush in Shimmery Pink Pool
Origins Lipstick in Buttercup
BareMinerals Flawless Definition Mascara in Black
Sephora Contour Eye Pencil Water Proof in Black Lace

#57 kamiller1972

kamiller1972

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 November 2013 - 12:13 PM

I really love Merle Norman foundations.  Most are all fragrance free, oil free, non-acnegenic, non-comedogenic...and most all their products are made in the USA.  They are also cruelty free if that is one of your concerns surprised.gif

Current skin care routine:

AM

Rainwater Botanical's Soap for Troubled Skin

Spot treat with Acne.org's AHA

Clinique Moisture Surge Intense

Clinique All About Eyes with Baobab oil

PM 

Clinique Take the Day Off Balm with Adzuki Micrograin Facial Scrub (All natural-awesome stuff!)

Acne.org Cleanser for extra cleansing ( I wear a full face of makeup)

Frugally Sustainable Blemish Astringent/or Rainwater Botanical's Toner for Troubled Skin (All natural-very soothing and non-drying)

1 1/2 Pumps of Acne.org's 2.5% BP 

Clinique All About Eyes with Baobab oil

Acne.org's Moisturizer (small amount)

When I get home from work, I like to let my face breath, so generally, I will use Clinique Take the Day Off Balm with the Adzuki micrograins, followed by a more gentle regimen. Currently, I am using Bare Minerals Blemish Treatment on any actives...LOVE this stuff!

I've recently added a mask to my routine.  It's all natural and very cheap.  Bentonite clay and apple cider vinegar mixed with a wee bit of tea tree oil. This is great for blackheads!

I am currently 100% clear with this mostly natural regimen.  

Makeup: Merle Norman's Purely Mineral Makeup Powder

Merle Norman Aqua Balance liquid foundation

Primer:

Studio Gear Primer

#58 Dayzii

Dayzii

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Cooking, baking, decorating, fashion, beauty, social work , social justice, activist, volunteer

Posted 11 November 2013 - 01:49 PM

I use prescriptives matte finish with sunscreen. I have used it since 16 now 25. It really does not break me out if I wash it off correctly and don't really powder throughout the day. I also use their concealer. For powder I use Almay. I also use physician formulas highlighter and Victoria secret mascara and blush. I know what causes my acne and it definitely is not my makeup.

#59 Starviolet

Starviolet

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:19 PM

Make sure to avoid MAC face cosmetics. I have been an avid MAC user until my dermotologist told me to throw it away! Even many of the MAC consultants do not recommend their face products to acne/sensitive skinned people.

I've switched to Cover FX and I LOVE IT! It's full coverage speficially designed for people with acne, so there is absolutely no risk of it breaking you out. I 100% recommend it to anyone looking!

MAC makeup gave me Milia, it did not however aggravate my inflammatory acne. Back a couple of years ago Studio Tech cream makeup was my go to makeup as it was the only thing that was thick enough to cover my large "raised" acne pimples. I never got more "inflammatory" acne lesions from MAC, but it did create the additional problem of acne cosmetica which is why I wouldn't recommend their makeup on a *daily basis* however it's great for film and T.V.

#60 sweetiemuffin

sweetiemuffin

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Swimming, music, art (oil painting, ceramics, charcoal, sketching, beading, sewing, knitting, photography, ect), video games, mathematics, science, makeup, skincare, food, sleep, snowboarding, freediving, animals, anime, cars, fashion, ect.

Posted 22 November 2013 - 05:52 PM

Find a products that are water based. Water based products do not clog pores.

I swear by Dinair. Its airbrush makeup.

Pros: Make your skin flawless, long lasting, covers anything, doesn't look cakey, and doesn't break me out.

Cons: It's expensive and you got to clean the airbrush gun every time you use it. It's really time consuming, but its my HG.

Products that are waterbased: Face & Body Liquid Makeup by Makeup Forever, Face & Body Foundation by MAC, Maybelline PureMakeup, ect.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users