Photo

Wet Shaving

shaving shaving cream

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 Holidayjones

Holidayjones

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 January 2012 - 01:34 PM

i've decided to start wetshaving to reduce irritation. i'm going to use a cup and put some shaving cream from a tube in it and lather it up with a shaving brush.

the shaving cream im going to use is called: Taylor of Old Bond Street's Jermyn St. Collection shaving cream for sensitive skin

Here is the ingredients: Aqua, stearic acid, aloe barbadensis (leaf) juice, myristic acid, potassium hydroxide, glycerin, theobroma cacao (cocoa) seed butter, allantoin, parfum, sodium hydroxide, phenoxyethanol, ethylhexylglycerin

Link: http://www.sierratra...=prod-sim-4477Y

Are those ingredients non irritating or non comedgenic? I'll continue to use my 2 blade razor.

Also is there any non irritating brushes to lather with?

#2 bobbi364

bobbi364

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 January 2012 - 04:30 PM

As far as shave soaps/creams go that list of ingredients is probably some of the best you are going to get as far as sensitive skin goes. I use kiss my face shave cream, which has more natural ingredients, but also contains many of those you just listed. Stay clear of surfactants and you should be good. SLS is a bad ingredient and I don't see it listed so thats a plus. Also, for sensitive skin, lather the soap in the bowl and then apply the lather with your hands, as applying the lather with the brush (even if you are using a Silver tip badger hair brush (best of the best)) they are irritating. It is also best to use the least amount of actual razors, so two is perfect, I use 3 when I wet shave.

Also, to extend the life of those blade, air dry them by shaking off the excess water, the blades will last forever that way, as water oxidizes the blades and deteriorates them.

#3 allrighty

allrighty

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 19 January 2012 - 01:42 AM

Have a long shower, and use a washer all over ur face, to bring the whiskers up to the surface..... then shave once ur out of the shower.

#4 Holidayjones

Holidayjones

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:26 AM

i prefer to shave in the shower. is there any way to raise your hair more in the shower? i haven't been getting a close enough shave. also what would i use to lather the soap with? thank you

#5 bobbi364

bobbi364

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 January 2012 - 12:04 PM

i prefer to shave in the shower. is there any way to raise your hair more in the shower? i haven't  been  getting  a close enough shave.  also  what  would i use to lather the soap with? thank you

Believe it or not there is a way to raise your hair without soaps, although it would suck to do this in the shower. COLD water shaves have been proven and known to shave closer than another form of shaving, even hot water. This is because cold water raises the hair up, so when you run a blade by it it chops off clean. There are several things you can do to lather your soap/cream. Synthetic brushes are cheap, hard and the lather is not as aromatic. A bore hair brush is cheap, does the trick okay, but is not that soft. A badger hair brush is best, as it has finer hairs, is softer and produces much better lather than another brush. In particular, Silver tip badger hair brushes are the best, because they are a higher quality of badger hair. For acne prone skin, however, I do not recommend using a brush on the face, it is very very irritating. So, to lather a decent bore hair brush would work, once in your bowl, get the lather in your hands and apply gently to your face, and then proceed to shave. I also recommend sensitive shave soap/creams, like kiss my face brand.

#6 Sunshine41

Sunshine41

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 January 2012 - 02:06 PM

Do you guys really need a cream for shaving? I mean is it necassary? Cause I'm a woman and when I shave my legs for example I use only water, nothing else....I never used any shaving creams....

Edited by Sunshine41, 28 January 2012 - 02:06 PM.

#7 bobbi364

bobbi364

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 January 2012 - 06:32 PM

Do you guys really need a cream for shaving? I mean is it necassary? Cause I'm a woman and when I shave my legs for example I use only water, nothing else....I never used any shaving creams....

Most Definitely, without a layer, one would be likely to cut themselves and scratch the skin (making a place for bacteria to grow, NASTY). Also without creams you could create in grown hairs, you are using a blade after all, be kind to your skin and it will be kind back.

#8 Sunshine41

Sunshine41

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 January 2012 - 04:57 AM

I don't know...I have no problems with it.....did you try shaving with oil? I do that sometimes because when I shave with only water I get like a little tiny "holes" if you know what I mean....when I do it with oil I don't get it.....

Edited by Sunshine41, 29 January 2012 - 04:58 AM.

#9 bobbi364

bobbi364

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 January 2012 - 08:20 AM

No oil. I use a very gentle cream, lather it apply with hands and then gently shave with a 3 bladed razor, I do not currently have any acne, I use to about 6 years ago though. During that time I had to use an electric shaver because my skin was acne prone, and would become very red and irritated from wet shaving. You can't see the surface of your skin when you scratch it that small, as in with a blade, so you wouldn't have any idea if you were scratching it or not, with or without creams. I know almost all the military people that shave have to shave with just water because they are only given 4 minutes to shower/shave/brush teeth. They are given shave gels, but it takes way too long, so they just use water, and many of them get those shave chits.

#10 MikeX10A

MikeX10A

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 January 2012 - 11:04 AM

I shave with a double-edged safety razor now. It is awesome. Not only is it cheaper (50 blades for $30) but I have no irritation. I don't even need after shave or moisturizer whem I'm done. The only downside are nicks but that'll go away with practice. I also use a badger hair brush with an Aveeno shaving gel. I soak the brush then put the gel on it and work the lather on my face. I find the brush makes a more consistent layer and helps the lather get everywhere it needs to be. When I'm done, I rinse with warm water, half a pump of cleanser, and then cold water to close the pores, which I think contributes to the zero irritation. I also don't go against the grain. I don't get the perfect baby smooth shave, but having no irritation is a worthwhile trade.

For those interested: http://artofmanlines...e-your-grandpa/

Edited by MikeX10A, 31 January 2012 - 11:04 AM.

Irritated after shaving? Spending a fortune on fancy razor cartridges? Learn How to Shave Like Your Grandpa!

#11 bobbi364

bobbi364

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 January 2012 - 02:54 PM

I recommend this guys youtube channel, all you need to know about wet shaving.

http://www.youtube.c...u/0/xjhIy9rgWQU

And for you MikeX, an advanced blade technique, remember the best thing you can do it hold the blad constant, no angles, this will reduce cuts.

#12 k3tchup

k3tchup

Registered Nurse

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:37 AM

I recommend this guys youtube channel, all you need to know about wet shaving.

http://www.youtube.c...u/0/xjhIy9rgWQU

And for you MikeX, an advanced blade technique, remember the best thing you can do it hold the blad constant, no angles, this will reduce cuts.

This guy is great for all your shaving needs. I am sub'd and have watched lots of his videos. Great info

Regarding shaving i shave nearly every day in the shower w/o soaps or anything. Good enough for me.

Nurses quietly go about their work in a noble profession, uncelebrated soldiers toiling through the days and nights in service to the sick, the injured and the dying. 

#13 Kole

Kole

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 May 2012 - 12:03 AM

Yeah wet shaving has helped me alot with my breakouts, I use a Merkur safety razor, and Taylor Brand Coconut oil shaving cream. But I think the best thing is the razors. Iv used 4-5 different types of razors from them. The last one I tried was the Feather brand razors, from Japan. They are so much better than any other saftey razor blade its not even funny. I stayed away from them because everyone in the "wet shaving world" said they were super sharp and would cut very easily. But I have never cut myself ever with them even though they are 10x sharper than the others. I advise anyone who breaks out with shaving to get a good Merkur Razor, and some Feather blades.