Photo

Last Resort

minocycline acne proactiv benzamycin epiduo stievamycin accutane

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 john123

john123

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 January 2012 - 10:27 AM

Well I'm 29 and still getting cystic breakouts. What a pain in the ass it is dealing with acne at this age. I have more important things to worry about but and my skin consumes much more of my time than it should.

Pretty sure i have tried everything. I was using Proactiv in combination with on and off courses of minocycline to control the breakouts but the Proactiv started to irritate my face and make it red so I switched over to Dermalogica which was much more suited for my sensitive skin. Their oil control lotion in combination with the clearing booster at night is good stuff.

Everything was ok 4 weeks ago until I decided that I had enough of the Minocycline and quit cold turkey. Big mistake. One week later I get the worst cystic breakout I've ever had, right during Christmas. Rough times. I stayed off the Mino for another week or so hoping it would get better but no dice. So I went back on it again and now 3 weeks later, still getting breakouts. Brutal.

Benzamycin, Stievamycin, Epiduo - I've given this stuff a whirl but it irritates my face pretty bad and I hate slopping this stuff on my face at night and waking up with a caked on mask of shit.

Never thought I would resort to Acctuane but I'm starting to think I have no choice. I'm willing to endure 6 months of hell to get this under control. I realize it's not a sure thing but the odds are pretty good. Anyway going to see the doctor today to start the process of getting a prescription and we'll see what happens.

Stay tuned.

#2 cvd

cvd

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 13 January 2012 - 03:10 PM

Hi John --- So sorry you had to deal with this over the holidays! I'm dealing with it now so can understand. Accutane isn't that bad. I loved it...was totally clear while using it and side effects were nil compared to finally having clear skin. The boost to my self-esteem got me into a really excellent marriage! And even tho the effects didn't last I had hope. You may still outgrow this. Many men finally outgrow acne in their 30's. Women have it harder due to hormones. I hope you're one of the lucky ones. If not, fortunately there are many treatments to try. You may have become resistant to mino. Doxy might work better now. You might want to try avoiding dairy, sugar, wheat and alcohol. You'll know in a month or so if diet makes a difference.

#3 futurestars

futurestars

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 January 2012 - 03:35 AM

Im in the same boat as you!

#4 john123

john123

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 January 2012 - 08:06 PM

Doctor got me an appointment with the derm tomorrow so we'll see what he says. I think the mino is actually starting to kick in because I haven't had any major cystic outbreaks since my first post (about 5 days) and that's unusual for me. Up to then I was getting one every day or every couple of days. Now I just get 1 or 2 small pimples every couple of days that seem to disappear pretty quick. Face doesn't look as bad so the doc may look at me and think Accutane is overkill. I just want to be able to get off the antibiotics and not have to worry every day I wake up if i'm going to see another pile of giant painful cystic breakouts lurking up. I know my face produces wayyyy to much oil. That is definitely the root of the cause. I'm also getting food allergy tested this Thursday (testing 90 different foods) because there's a part of me that believes it could be primarily diet related. I know dairy and red meat exacerbate my breakouts.

Also, I think I mentioned it before but the skin clearing booster from Dermalogica has been working really well. It's 5% BP with a few other ingrediants such as zink and caffeine (drinking caffeine apparently is bad for the skin but on your face its good...explain that to me) and it doesn't leave my face red, flaky or irriated and I have really, really senstitive skin. Also when I put it on breakouts that I feel coming they don't turn into full grown pimples, they stay under the skin and just go away after a couple of days.

Anyway, see how she goes.

#5 zazaszai

zazaszai

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:23 AM

Hello!

Yea, I have to agree with you. It such a pain in the ass to deal with cystic acne when we in mid of 20s or near 30. I know how you feel because I used to have a lot of cystic acne on my face last year. Then, I start with facial treatment using Dermalogica line to treat my acne problem. I've been on the treatment for a year now and my skin is clearing now but I still have red acne marks and tiny occasional zits.

Have you tried Dermalogica Gentle Cream Exfoliant and Sebum Clearing Masque? This two products works wonder for acne-prone skin. If you have dry and sensitive skin like me, you can use Sebum Clearing Masque alternately with Skin Hydrating Masque because its quite drying. But, if you have oily skin then its okey. Gentle Cream Exfoliant has AHA and BHA that can exfoliate your skin deeply and gently. Great for sensitive and acne-prone skin.

#6 pugrocker

pugrocker

VAN HALEN ROCKS!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 February 2012 - 04:10 PM

Im 41 today and I still break out. It sucks cause it has really cost me a lot of money and frustrated time! I was on Doxy for about 4 months and that helped but when I went off, Boom, I had a bad break out. For me, its a total genetic thing cause my parents who are in their mid 60's still break out, so I dont need a crystal ball to see what my skin future will be like, it is gonna be a ugly frustrating full of anxiety hell cause acne causes me to have awful anxiety. I always worry, oh damn, what is my skin gonna be doing like for example, Im going to see VAN HALEN in concert on June 3rd and Im already stressing and worrying about what my skin is gonna be doing. Im thinking of starting Doxy again so that way I'll still be on it when its time for the concert and it seems to work or it at least did. Anyway, pimples are proof there is a devil or a not so kind god or a god that enjoys sampling his weed and acid creation!Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#7 cvd

cvd

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:58 AM

Hi Pugrocker --- Yes go back on Doxy for the concert!! Why not? I finally decided to do what I had to do to stay clear and if that meant antibiotics then so be it. You may want to try Oracea. It is working for me and it doesn't mess with the good bacteria in your body. It actually only works as an anti-inflammatory which is what is good for cystic kinds of acne. If you're like me, you don't really care about the small stuff...just the inflamed big infected stuff. Oracea works for that. You may still get the small things...but who cares? Don't think about the future...acne research has made HUGE strides since your parents started dealing with this. I should know because I'm 60. I wish I had taken getting clear more seriously when I was younger...but I kept on thinking I'd somehow magically outgrow it or whatever. I coming to believe that the key for controlling resistant cystic acne is getting the skin to calm down...to do everything you can to lessen inflammation. This means not only using gentle products but also eating anti-inflammatory diet (anti-acne diet). Then you need something to help keep the pores clear. I use tretinoin cream and my new derm is starting me on monthly microdermabrasions next week. These help to open the pores. My skin is genetically programmed to plug up in certain areas and it needs help to stay clear. So I hope this helps and may give you some ideas. Don't give up the fight!

#8 tracy521

tracy521

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 February 2012 - 06:51 PM

john123, if you dont mind me asking who are you going to see for the food allergy testing? i want to do that but not sure where to go and what to have them test for. it sounds like we have similar skin issues. i am 34 and still dealing with this crap. i have been on doxy for a year now and had super super clear skin for about 6 months and then slowly my acne started to come back along with some cysts. i am weaning off the doxy now and have an appointment on march 7th to see about a low dose of accutane. i shall see what the derm says. i see 2 derms and the one says i should try spironolactone but i dont want to take that so the other derm said if i start breaking out again i could try a super low dose of accutane. i dont know though i might ask about oracea as well. i just hate taking pills forever. let me know how your appointment goes with the food testing and the derm.

Edited by Karen Howz, 16 February 2012 - 06:52 PM.