Insulin Resistance

1 reply to this topic

#1 Doberwoman

Doberwoman

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 September 2004 - 10:54 PM

Slightly OT but, seeing the prosposed links between hormonal influences, IR and acne, it's sort of related to some of the topics here

I discovered a paper recently that described a study of patients taking cyproterone acetate and estradiol. The conclusion was not even that this combination can cause IR, but that it does in the majority of patients! ie, a drug treatment that is commonly used to treat women with acne might make an underlying cause worse!

I noticed that as soon as I started taking those drugs, I started gaining weight like anything (I had previously been extremely thin and used to be able to eat whatever I wanted without gaining an ounce). 7 years later (stopped taking the cyp 2 years ago) and I still struggle with my weight. I'm not overweight, but I have to exercise regularly and eat next to nothing (eg about 800-1000 calories a day) to maintain a normal weight.

Questions:

1. I couldn't find any other studies to back this up -- anyone else?

2. If one did have drug induced IR, is it possible to restore your metabolism to its previous state? And if so, how? I already exercise and have a pretty healthy diet...

#2 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 September 2004 - 07:45 PM

LOL, yeah some drugs can cause it. Was this the study you were referring to?

Eur J Endocrinol. 2004 Feb;150(2):215-23.  Related Articles, Links 

Metabolic and endocrine effects of treatment with peroral or transdermal oestrogens in conjunction with peroral cyproterone acetate in women with polycystic ovary syndrome.

Vrbikova J, Stanicka S, Dvorakova K, Hill M, Vondra K, Bendlova B, Starka L.

Institute of Endocrinology, Prague, Czech Republic. jvrbikova@endo.cz

OBJECTIVE: To compare the influence of transdermal and peroral oestrogen treatments in conjunction with cyproterone acetate (CPA) on metabolic and hormonal parameters in women with polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS). PATIENTS AND METHODS: Twenty-four women with PCOS, aged 25.4+/-4.3 (mean+/-s.d.) years, body mass index 24.5+/-3.9 kg/m2 were randomly assigned to receive either transdermal oestradiol plus CPA (n=12) or a peroral oestradiol-CPA combination (n=12). Before and after 3 months of treatment, basal blood samples, euglycaemic hyperinsulinaemic clamp combined with indirect calorimetry and arginine tests were performed. ANOVA and Student's t-test or Wilcoxon's test were used for statistical analyses. RESULTS: After peroral oestradiol-CPA, insulin sensitivity (P<0.004) and the disposition index as the function of insulin sensitivity and secretion (P<0.0001) decreased significantly. Fasting insulin (P<0.05), cholesterol (P<0.05), high-density lipoprotein cholesterol (P<0.05) and sex-hormone binding globulin (P<0.0001) increased significantly. Dehydroepiandrosterone (P<0.05) and 17-OH progesterone (P<0.01) decreased significantly. After transdermal oestradiol+CPA, no significant changes were observed in sex-hormone binding globulin and androgen concentrations, insulin sensitivity or disposition index. CONCLUSIONS: In women with PCOS, peroral oestrogens (at doses common in combined oral contraceptives) led to a significant impairment in insulin secretion and action. In contrast, the transdermal application of oestrogens did not significantly influence insulin sensitivity.
http://www.ncbi.nlm....t_uids=14763920

These are not steps, but stages some people progress through when going from conventional to holistic medicine. Stage 2 is how I became 99%+ Clear, eliminated my dysmennorhea, significantly reduced my sebum & pore size, etc & is my predominant method.

Stage 1 (Treatment):
* (Daily) Isocare Skin Control Cleanser, Dream Products Customized Natural Face Lotion & Coppertone Sport Spray Sunscreen (mixed)
* (Sporadically) spot treat w/ anti-inflammatory (neosporin, hydrocortisone, salicylic acid) or a skin lightener (post-inflammatory pigmentation) to treat stubborn cystic/nodular acne that appears due to unknowingly or knowingly ingesting a food/ingredient that breaks me out (I do my best to avoid these foods). If you cover treated area w/ a bandaid, it makes product more effective.

Stage 2 (Prevention): "cheapest" method ~ Since Aug. 2002
* Follow a Gluten-Free, Trans-Fat Free, Dairy-Free and No Added Sugar diet for my Insulin Resistance/Hyperandrogenism (Silent Chronic Inflammatory Syndrome)
* Avoid ALL types of nuts and the Genus Prunus (almonds, plums, peaches, nectarines, apricots, cherries), Bananas, Pineapples, Cottonseed oil, Artificial Sweetners.

Stage 3 (Correction):
* 1/18/08 Ultimate Colon Cleanse (30 day program)

Research:
* Developing functional foods for those with acne & other special needs (assuming there's a defficiency).
* Developing good & "safe" formulas for various hormonal issues for women. Correction stage may resolve this for some.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users