Photo

Last Chance For Happiness?

depression

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
32 replies to this topic

#1 lnymphl

lnymphl

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 January 2012 - 02:20 AM

I've had acne for 16 years now. I'm in my mid twenties now; female. It started out as mild acne and then moderate and then back to mild and then moderate to serve and now... severely serve. I've tried almost everything over the counter.

Like many of you I can't remember not having acne. My whole face is red and angry and irritated.

I'm aware of the danger of the drug and the risk of depression. I hope I can have some supporters here. I'm still very new here so I hope I'll meet others going through the same thing Posted Image

I'll try to update at least every 3-4 days.
Thanks for reading.

Edited by lnymphl, 12 February 2012 - 09:04 PM.

#2 thrillpink

thrillpink

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 5
About Me

Posted 11 January 2012 - 11:31 AM

You can definitely find support here.
I can relate to the feeling that acne has taken over your life and although I'm almost clear now, the red marks and scars are still there. But the redness wil eventually fade and yeah we will probably never have perfect flawless skin, but I'm sure there's more to you than your skin :)

Don't worry about your oily skin, my skin was still oily during the whole first month.
Good luck :)

#3 cervantes86

cervantes86

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 11 January 2012 - 11:31 AM

i ended my 2nd week of accutane, and iam still oily myself. and i weigh 175 lbs. my acne was moderately severe and it has gone down to the mildish side, but iam still oily, so i dont understand how the accutane is doing that. and i havent seen the purging of blackheads like many people say. i too think that starting at 20 mg also is gonna slow things down. but oh well.

#4 lnymphl

lnymphl

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 January 2012 - 08:15 PM

You can definitely find support here.
I can relate to the feeling that acne has taken over your life and although I'm almost clear now, the red marks and scars are still there. But the redness wil eventually fade and yeah we will probably never have perfect flawless skin, but I'm sure there's more to you than your skin Posted Image

Don't worry about your oily skin, my skin was still oily during the whole first month.
Good luck Posted Image

Congratulation! Being almost clear most feel great. I can't even imagine how they will feel like.
Thank you for the support!! At first I thought I wasn't reacting to the medication, but I just need to be patient.

i ended my 2nd week of accutane, and iam still oily myself. and i weigh 175 lbs. my acne was moderately severe and it has gone down to the mildish side, but iam still oily, so i dont understand how the accutane is doing that. and i havent seen the purging of blackheads like many people say. i too think that starting at 20 mg also is gonna slow things down. but oh well.

I didn't know about the purging of blackheads! I wonder if there's a specific area where blackheads will form.

How many mg are you taking each day?

Thank you for replying :D And Good luck!! We're almost near the same time frame of taking accutane!

#5 cervantes86

cervantes86

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 12 January 2012 - 10:25 AM

iam also taking 20 mg a day.sigh...i wish i would have started at 40 mg for some reason..

#6 lnymphl

lnymphl

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 January 2012 - 02:25 PM

iam also taking 20 mg a day.sigh...i wish i would have started at 40 mg for some reason..

I guess the advantage is less side effects, but slower progress =(

Update: Just took my 12th pill today. I think my skin is a tad less oily. The cysts seem to have flatten quite a bit (for now anyways). Still breaking out in sporadic places. My nose feels really rough Posted Image

Sometimes when I take the pill I feel a bit nauseated. Is this common?

Edited by lnymphl, 12 January 2012 - 02:25 PM.

#7 thrillpink

thrillpink

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 January 2012 - 04:13 PM

Update: Just took my 12th pill today. I think my skin is a tad less oily. The cysts seem to have flatten quite a bit (for now anyways). Still breaking out in sporadic places. My nose feels really rough Posted Image

I wish my dermatologist chose for a long course on a low dose. I think it works much better, as you don't get a lot of side effects and your skin will still clear.
And yay for less oiliness :D The roughness on your nose is probably all your blackheads/sebaceous filaments coming out.

#8 cervantes86

cervantes86

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 13 January 2012 - 11:23 AM

i think iam a little less oily too, but on my freaking 16th day. i feel like my lips are drying more often.

#9 lnymphl

lnymphl

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 January 2012 - 01:18 AM

I wish my dermatologist chose for a long course on a low dose. I think it works much better, as you don't get a lot of side effects and your skin will still clear.
And yay for less oiliness Posted Image The roughness on your nose is probably all your blackheads/sebaceous filaments coming out.

No wonder! What can I do with the blackheads? Do I just leave it alone or am I suppose to rub it off Posted Image

i think iam a little less oily too, but on my freaking 16th day. i feel like my lips are drying more often.

I'm three days behind you lol I hope you bought some aquaphor for your lips as I heard it will become super dry and crack Posted Image

#10 SkyLynn

SkyLynn

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 January 2012 - 02:53 AM

Good luck!! :)

#11 thrillpink

thrillpink

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 January 2012 - 07:40 AM

And yay for less oiliness Posted Image The roughness on your nose is probably all your blackheads/sebaceous filaments coming out.

No wonder! What can I do with the blackheads? Do I just leave it alone or am I suppose to rub it off Posted Image

I wouldn't rub them off, they're all going to fall of on their own.

#12 sd85

sd85

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 January 2012 - 08:52 AM

I've had acne for 16 years now. I'm in my mid twenties now; female. It started out as mild acne and then moderate and then back to mild and then moderate to serve and now... severely serve. I've tried almost everything over the counter. I can't say I've tried everything in the prescription area because my family couldn't afford it and no one wanted to bring me into the dermatologist in the first place because they thought it was just a phase that will go away. So I spent my childhood So I basically had no childhood because I always felt ugly and I had to hide. I only went outside if it's for school. Now that my acne is a lot worst I feel like my whole existence is an eyesore.

Like many of you I can't remember not having acne. My whole face is red and angry and irritated.

I know my skin is beyond repair from all the permanent scars and hyperpigmentations. (I'm aware of laser surgery, but I don't have the luxury to do that). I know hyperpigmentations take time to disappear, but it's just annoying that I lost my childhood and I have to lose my early adulthood due to acne as well? I've lost so much hope in life and now I'm taking accutane for the first time.

I'm on my 11th day on accutane. I'm only taking 20mg a day, but I don't know understand why since everyone is taking higher doses than I am. I don't know if it is working. I'm breaking out...but I've been breaking out everyday for years now so I can't tell if its the drugs or its just me. How can you tell?? As for dryness I can't tell if I'm I'm starting to dry or if it's just the cold weather. I'm still very oily though. Is it possible to be so oily even I'm on my 11th day?

I want to be positive, but right now it's just one of those days where I feel like the world is messing with me and it's not done doing so.
But I am glad this place exist. I was hesitant to start my log, but I knew I should since I do need the support. I'm aware of the danger of the drug and the risk of depression. Since no one supports me (instead they blame me for my acne) I hope I can have some supporters here. I'm still very new here so I hope I'll meet others going through the same thing Posted Image

Thanks for reading.

I'm also in my mid 20s (26), and I've had acne forever. Since I was 11 or 12. I had severe acne on my first course, and while I didn't become 100% clear, I did see a drastic and permanent improvement. Now, I've decided to do a second course and I am clear after 3 1/2 months. I have about 1-2 pimples per month right now. None of them have been cystic. Even if this course doesn't give you a complete clearing, I would definitely suggest doing a second course just to kick acne to the curb for good.

I would suggest that since you have severe acne, you try to get a higher dose of Accutane for your second month. Lower dosages are highly correlated with higher relapse rates after stopping the medication.

#13 lnymphl

lnymphl

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 January 2012 - 08:25 PM

I've had acne for 16 years now. I'm in my mid twenties now; female. It started out as mild acne and then moderate and then back to mild and then moderate to serve and now... severely serve. I've tried almost everything over the counter. I can't say I've tried everything in the prescription area because my family couldn't afford it and no one wanted to bring me into the dermatologist in the first place because they thought it was just a phase that will go away. So I spent my childhood So I basically had no childhood because I always felt ugly and I had to hide. I only went outside if it's for school. Now that my acne is a lot worst I feel like my whole existence is an eyesore.

I know my skin is beyond repair from all the permanent scars and hyperpigmentations. (I'm aware of laser surgery, but I don't have the luxury to do that). I know hyperpigmentations take time to disappear, but it's just annoying that I lost my childhood and I have to lose my early adulthood due to acne as well? I've lost so much hope in life and now I'm taking accutane for the first time.

I'm on my 11th day on accutane. I'm only taking 20mg a day, but I don't know understand why since everyone is taking higher doses than I am. I don't know if it is working. I'm breaking out...but I've been breaking out everyday for years now so I can't tell if its the drugs or its just me. How can you tell?? As for dryness I can't tell if I'm I'm starting to dry or if it's just the cold weather. I'm still very oily though. Is it possible to be so oily even I'm on my 11th day?

I want to be positive, but right now it's just one of those days where I feel like the world is messing with me and it's not done doing so.
But I am glad this place exist. I was hesitant to start my log, but I knew I should since I do need the support. I'm aware of the danger of the drug and the risk of depression. Since no one supports me (instead they blame me for my acne) I hope I can have some supporters here. I'm still very new here so I hope I'll meet others going through the same thing Posted Image

Thanks for reading.

I'm also in my mid 20s (26), and I've had acne forever. Since I was 11 or 12. I had severe acne on my first course, and while I didn't become 100% clear, I did see a drastic and permanent improvement. Now, I've decided to do a second course and I am clear after 3 1/2 months. I have about 1-2 pimples per month right now. None of them have been cystic. Even if this course doesn't give you a complete clearing, I would definitely suggest doing a second course just to kick acne to the curb for good.

I would suggest that since you have severe acne, you try to get a higher dose of Accutane for your second month. Lower dosages are highly correlated with higher relapse rates after stopping the medication.

Thank you for the great info!!! I really cant afford a second round of accutane. The first one is already costing me a leg and an arm.
Did you have to do a second course because you didn't take a higher dosage the first time?

update: On my 14th pill of 20mg. I experience a mild nose bleed. It was very unexpected, but I heard it's common so I'm not too worried about it. My face is diffidently getting dry--I hope it's due to the pills working and not because of the cold weather. Lips are a bit chapped, but not bothersome. A continue break out of pustules, but a lot less compare to the beginning.

Edited by lnymphl, 14 January 2012 - 08:25 PM.

#14 lnymphl

lnymphl

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 January 2012 - 08:54 PM

update: On my 17th day of 20mg.
A lot of blackheads on my nose and a few on my chin, cheeks Posted Image , and forehead. Old cyst cleared up. Still breaking out a bit. Mostly pustules.
Dryness is mild. Lips are chapped, but not a problem when I apply aquaphor.

It seems that the low dose of 20mg is working, but I'm not sure if I should double my dosage next month or stay on a low dosage just to be safe.

I think I'm going to take a probiotic pill tonight.

#15 sd85

sd85

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 January 2012 - 09:21 PM

Thanks for reading.

Thank you for the great info!!! I really cant afford a second round of accutane. The first one is already costing me a leg and an arm.
Did you have to do a second course because you didn't take a higher dosage the first time?

update: On my 14th pill of 20mg. I experience a mild nose bleed. It was very unexpected, but I heard it's common so I'm not too worried about it. My face is diffidently getting dry--I hope it's due to the pills working and not because of the cold weather. Lips are a bit chapped, but not bothersome. A continue break out of pustules, but a lot less compare to the beginning.

I actually did a REALLY high dose the first time, but that made my course way too short--I was over 120mg/kg in less than 3 months. I was about 110lbs and on 80mgs a day! This course has gone MUCH better. I'm about 125lbs now and on 60mgs a day--pretty much perfect!

#16 lnymphl

lnymphl

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 January 2012 - 11:08 PM

update 20th day on the pill: 20mg daily. This annoying pimple keeps coming back! Exact same place too. GAAAHH!! Three Four new cysts. Skin still relatively semi dry and I'm always thirsty now. I find that my face gets redder than usual when I'm exercising.

Edited by lnymphl, 20 January 2012 - 11:13 PM.

#17 hannah34

hannah34

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 January 2012 - 08:26 AM

i wish you the best of luck!!

#18 lnymphl

lnymphl

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 January 2012 - 12:37 AM

i wish you the best of luck!!

thank you so much.

update: 23rd day, 20mg a day. My nose and around the nose is flakey. A few new pimples. Cyst appearing in the same rate. There's this one pimple that just doesn't wanna leave. It appears and after it looks like it's gone..it reappears again...and it's been doing that for weeks now! It's driving me nuts. When it's "gone" I can feel the bump still there. So perhaps, it was never gone, it just went on a lunch break as it seems. Posted Image

Anyway, I can feel my body starting to feel dry and itchy (but it's probably because of the cold weather). Lips are not dry anymore, which is weird. Posted Image

#19 lnymphl

lnymphl

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 January 2012 - 03:35 AM

update: 28 day, 20mg a day. UGGHH!! Breaking out in painful pimples.

#20 sd85

sd85

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 January 2012 - 04:57 PM

update: 28 day, 20mg a day. UGGHH!! Breaking out in painful pimples.

Probably not for much longer...You'll probably start noticing some changes soon. Have you noticed that your hair does not get greasy anymore? I can go at least 4 days without washing it. I haven't tried going any longer than 4 days, but I'm sure I could.