accutane tattoo ink tane

3 replies to this topic

#1 Lydiajane

Lydiajane

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:02 PM

I was wondering if you are able to get a tattoo while on Accutane. I am on a low dose, 20mg, but probably moving up to 40mg soon, female, 23 years old, weigh about 127lbs, and am interested in getting some script across my ribs on one side.
I would just wait rather than ask, as I only have 4 months left on it, but I want to get this tattoo to remember my close friend/roommate who passed away suddenly this past weekend... I feel like it would be really cathartic and help me to feel close to her.

If you've gotten a tattoo on Accutane, let me know, or if you have any information that would help also.

Thanks.

LJ
Lydiajane

These violent delights have violent ends

#2 crystal_willow

crystal_willow

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 8
About Me

Achievements

Posted 10 January 2012 - 03:54 PM

I'll be honest I have been neither on accutane or had a tattoo but my boyfriend is training as a tattoo apprentice so I have picked up alot of general info about tattoo care and I have read and researched acne treatments for over a decade so heres by opinion:

from what I know accutane makes the skin tight, thin, dry and flakey and generally sore. Tattoos take alot of healing power and cause supremely irritated skin while they heal so the two together seem like they will cause alot of suffering and also given the condition of the skin, the tattoo may heal poorly or react badly to being tattooed at all which could have a (possibly perminant) negative effect on the design.

I know its hard to wait at a time like this but there is no way to be sure how badly your skin will react in particular, I would advise leaving it until you are finished with accutane and your skin is strong again. Use this time to concentrate on getting the perfect design made and finding the right tattooist to do the job so that the tribute tattoo gets the care and attention given to it that it deserves.

Remember accutane is like skin-chemo so this is a time to be kind to your skin, especially if your dose is about to increase as any side effects are likely to increase along with the medication.

edit:

just asked boyfriend and he says that if your skin is AT ALL thin or flaking it is likely to cause the ink to go in too deep causing dispersal under the skin resulting in "blobs", line breakages and ink "bleeding out" both under and ontop of your skin potentially ruining this really sentimental image.

He says in fact he wouldn't trust any tattooist that has a "it'll be fine, lets just do it" attitude... s/he's just after your money and doesnt care about the design or frankly your health.

He (who is working on designs for people he has lost too) reiterates that you should spend this time refining your image and getting it just how you want it. This is one way to feel closer to her.

I am so sorry you lost someone close xx

Edited by crystal_willow, 10 January 2012 - 04:04 PM.

Morning: Wipe skin down with Salicylic acid containing face wipes

use Azelaic Acid on all acne prone skin

Evening: Bath: wash with PEARS soap then wash hair with Head & Shoulders (condition ends of hair once acne prone skin parts are out of bath)

use Azelaic acid on all acne prone skin

(Last adapted Autumn 2014)

My skin is now "normal" clear!! Thankyou to everyone for all your support!!

my finacea log including my September 2011 summary video (link is for the start of it, copy and paste as the link won't work directly):

http://www.acne.org/...re-ppl-try-this

Doing Yoga/practicing mindfulness, this has really helped me alot! Trying to eat better for my immune system

i.e. more veg and fruit plus trying to eat low GI, drink lots of water and get enough sleep.....

Wash your sheets and towels twice a week!!

#3 jennifer36

jennifer36

every moment is a gift of life

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 19
About Me
  • Interests:art, tea, music, skincare

Achievements

Posted 10 January 2012 - 06:34 PM

I wouldn't get a tattoo while on accutane. It's an intensive healing process. I've both been on accutane, and gotten a tattoo. At separate times of course. Your immune system and body is compromised and under great stress while on accutane. It would be terrible to get a tattoo and then have it heal improperly and get infected because of being on accutane, especially when it holds such a heavy sentimental value for you. Wait at least 2 months after your course is finished to get your tattoo. It takes at least a month for accutane to leave your system, often more like 2 months. I waited 6 months after my course before I got my tattoo and it healed beautifully.

I'm so sorry for the loss of your close friend.
my regimen:

am
wash face+chest+back with UMF 16+ manuka honey
tone with chamomile lavender tea

pm
home made grey kaolin clay, manuka honey & tea tree oil mask for 30+ minutes
spot treat with 50/50 jojoba and tea tree oil

avoiding dairy, soy, high sodium, refined sugars, processed foods since September 2011. more recently peanuts, gluten and citrus as well.

I am 90-95% clear, and still improving.

#4 Lydiajane

Lydiajane

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 January 2012 - 05:18 PM

Yeah that makes sense. It's just that my skin seems exactly the same across my ribs as it was before Accutane; wondering if because I'm on such a low dose then that is why? I don't know. Maybe I'll ask my doctor when I see her too.
Lydiajane

These violent delights have violent ends

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users