Photo

Greaseface In 2 Hours!

oily skin powder blotting aha alpha hydroxy acid makeup foundation

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 adalyn

adalyn

Like a Boss

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 January 2012 - 11:23 PM

Hey all,

So ever since my acne cleared up and I started using AHA to keep my skin free from the flakes and to clear my giant pores, I noticed that my skin, which used to be dry/combination, is now oily/combination.

Because of that, I've started using Make Up For Ever HD Finishing Powder, which is 100% silica and soaks up oil. I use it on top of my foundation, whether it's liquid (Bourjois Healthy Skin, Make Up For Ever HD) or powder (Alima Pure mineral foundation).

Despite that though, I have to powder my face every few hours because of shine, but when I remove the makeup at the end of the day, my skin looks like it got parched and dried during the day.

Do you guys have any recommendations for better makeup, or any powders that may help soak up oil and shine without overdrying?
I've heard good things about MAC Blot Powder and Tarte's Clay Finishing powder (but it's micronized, which isn't so good) .... any thoughts on these or any other powders?

Edited by adalyn, 05 January 2012 - 11:30 PM.

90+ % clear since October 2011!

AM - Avene Cleanance Soapless Gel Cleanser - Neutrogena Acne Stress Control Treatment - Shiseido Ultimate Sun Protection Creme For Face SPF55

MAKEUP - Bourjois Healthy Mix Foundation - MAC Studio Finish Concealer - Cover FX Powder FX
PM - Kose Softymo White Cleansing Oil - Avene Cleanance Soapless Gel Cleanser - La Roche Posay Effaclar Duo -
Alpha Hydrox Enhanced Cream - CeraVe Moisturizing Lotion

OPTIONAL - Neutrogena Visibly Clear Wash/Mask

My acne journey!

My post-acne journey!

#2 Nelo18

Nelo18

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 January 2012 - 01:14 AM

AHA's improve moisture content so it can make u oilier if u already have oily skin. Try BHA (Salicylic Acid).
Claravis 40mg started 10/12/11
Stopped on 11/10/11 because of Liver Functioning and High Cholesterol.

Recontinued 3/16/12 - Finished 8/25/12

#3 l'espoir

l'espoir

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 January 2012 - 05:58 PM

I've heard good things about MAC Blot Powder and Tarte's Clay Finishing powder (but it's micronized, which isn't so good) .... any thoughts on these or any other powders?

Hi adalyn, I just started using Tarte's finishing powder (the bronze one)--could you explain why micronized isn't good? Thanks so much!

Edited by l'espoir, 07 January 2012 - 05:58 PM.

#4 adalyn

adalyn

Like a Boss

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 January 2012 - 08:59 PM

Certain micronized minerals (zinc/titanium oxide) are generally small in size and pose health risks if it is small enough to travel through the skin or be inhaled and lodged into the lungs.

Although, I'm not totally against ALL micronized minerals; it's the nano particles, which is a type of micronized mineral, that is small enough to pose such a safety risk.

However, I'm not too trusting of companies that label something micronized because "micronized" is inclusive of nano particles.

AM - Avene Cleanance Soapless Gel Cleanser - Neutrogena Acne Stress Control Treatment - Shiseido Ultimate Sun Protection Creme For Face SPF55

MAKEUP - Bourjois Healthy Mix Foundation - MAC Studio Finish Concealer - Cover FX Powder FX
PM - Kose Softymo White Cleansing Oil - Avene Cleanance Soapless Gel Cleanser - La Roche Posay Effaclar Duo -

My acne journey!

My post-acne journey!

#5 jennyhugh

jennyhugh

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 January 2012 - 10:57 AM

Hey Adalyn..

I would like to suggest you some home based treatments for your problem... hope you will get help from this..

1. First of all avoid sticky make up, which clogs the pores.
2. To clear away excess oil, use herbal pack, which contains herbs that normalize kapha and lessens excess oil secretion.
3. Avoid heavy, fried fatty food.
4. Avoid excessive consumption of soft drinks, alcohol, tea, coffee and chocolates.
5. Always use hot water to wash face as it dissolves clogged oil and also balances Kapha.
6. Apply half spoon of lemon juice mixed with half spoon of cucumber juice to face half an hour before taking bath.
7. Mix equal parts of lemon juice and water. Apply this mixture on face and rinse it first with warm water and then followed by cold water after it dries.

#6 collegeboy84

collegeboy84

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 16 March 2012 - 05:42 PM

Hey all,

So ever since my acne cleared up and I started using AHA to keep my skin free from the flakes and to clear my giant pores, I noticed that my skin, which used to be dry/combination, is now oily/combination.

Because of that, I've started using Make Up For Ever HD Finishing Powder, which is 100% silica and soaks up oil. I use it on top of my foundation, whether it's liquid (Bourjois Healthy Skin, Make Up For Ever HD) or powder (Alima Pure mineral foundation).

Despite that though, I have to powder my face every few hours because of shine, but when I remove the makeup at the end of the day, my skin looks like it got parched and dried during the day.

Do you guys have any recommendations for better makeup, or any powders that may help soak up oil and shine without overdrying?

Hey Adalyn,

I recently had a discussion pertaining to this topic with my Dermatologist who oddly enough, released some studies on sebum production to the California Board of Dermatology. He says there is not much that can ultimately be done to control oil on the face for an extensive period of time and most over the counter topical gels and lotions that claim to do so are all part of a "billion dollar industry scam." He mentioned that in most cases, even Accutane can not prevent your body from reproducing the sebum it was genetically built to do so. He did mention that Differin and Aczone can control oil to some extent and has worked well for me personally.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/17309452
This study shows that

Azelaic Acid and Adapalene (differin) actually decrease oil over time, where as BP actually increases it.

If you find something that works keep us posted!

My 3 co2 laser fraxel:repair journal w/ photos-

http://www.acne.org/...s/#entry3248488

Good read-

http://ajcn.nutritio...t/86/1/107.full

#7 adalyn

adalyn

Like a Boss

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 March 2012 - 05:55 PM

Hey all,

Hey Adalyn,

I recently had a discussion pertaining to this topic with my Dermatologist who oddly enough, released some studies on sebum production to the California Board of Dermatology. He says there is not much that can ultimately be done to control oil on the face for an extensive period of time and most over the counter topical gels and lotions that claim to do so are all part of a "billion dollar industry scam." He mentioned that in most cases, even Accutane can not prevent your body from reproducing the sebum it was genetically built to do so. He did mention that Differin and Aczone can control oil to some extent and has worked well for me personally.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/17309452
This study shows that
Azelaic Acid and Adapalene (differin) actually decrease oil over time, where as BP actually increases it.

If you find something that works keep us posted!

Thanks a bunch! This is pretty interesting. I used to use Differin, which caused peeling and dryness. Nowadays I'm using Benzoyl Peroxide! Oilies galore!

My acne journey!

My post-acne journey!

#8 Ghost08

Ghost08

Stay Beautiful!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Achievements

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:51 AM

Everyday Minerals IT Base is wonderful.
I apply that all over with a flat top brush and use their concealer on top and it covers my acne well. This is the only mineral makeup I've used that doesn't melt off.

My Personal Log Detailing my adventures from "Natural to Not".

CURRENT REGIMEN:
(AM)
Neutrogena Facial Cleansing Bar for Acne Prone Skin, Clindamycin Phostphate Topical 1%, Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock SPF 45, Equate Absolutely Beaming Daily Moisturizer, (I mix this and the sunblock together and the sunblock helps mattify the moisturizer), 1x Vitamin D3, 1x Borage Oil, 2x Burdock Root, 1x Vitamin E, 1x Vitamin A, 2x Calcium, 1x Vitamin B Complex, 1x Vitamin C.
(PM)
Ortho-Tri Cyclen Lo, Cetaphil Anti-Bacterial Gentle Cleansing Bar, Paula's Choice 2% BHA Liquid, Clindamycin Phosphate Topical 1%, Grapeseed Oil.