Photo

Could One Of The Best Things To Do For Acne Be .... Not Worry About It?

holistic stress mind-body-spirit

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 Ukulala

Ukulala

Towtally Ossum

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:53 PM

Maybe this is obvious to some. But I think it's still worth mentioning.

And let me begin this by saying that I think thoughts have lots and lots of power - more than many people realize or care to recognize. Many spiritual or self-help teachings point to this (The Secret, What the #*$&! Do We Know?!, You Can Heal Your Life) - the idea that we, in a sense, create our own reality.

Not to get too hippie-dippie, but I really find a lot of truth in this basic law of attraction, vibrational, what-you-put-out-is-what-you-get-back ideology.

I thought of this this morning, as I was rinsing aloe off my face. I suddenly remembered a nodule (or some bump, I don't know - the derm didn't seem to worried about it) near my chin I hadn't bothered with in a while. It had been persistent, and when I was obsessing over it, it stayed very steadfastly at the same size. Now, about two weeks later, I prodded at it, and was surprised at how much it had diminished. The only thing that changed was ... well, I wasn't obsessing. Of course, this could be coincidence - but it was there for ages, really, without getting the least bit smaller.

So I begin an experiment. As many of us know, it can be very hard not to obsess in some form or another over your skin; one comment I saw on a blog really resonated with me, where a reader wrote, "researching acne has become like a full-time job!" ... Man, do I know that feeling.

For the next week, I will not obsess over my skin/acne. I won't even THINK about it. Easier said than done, of course, but every time I catch myself, I will reroute thoughts; I will not post on here or allow myself to look up information; I will be vigilant in my effort to truly focus my energies elsewhere. And I will see how it does for me!

It's funny -- despite wanting to try this, I'm finding some resistance to it - almost like it's relinquishing some form (or illusion) of control. When I research for hours, do all sorts of things to help my skin, I feel proactive ... and I guess that removing myself from that frightens me.
But ha! I challenge you, fears, and face you undaunted!
:) I will report back one week from now, January 12. This should not be too difficult, as it is a very busy time for me.

Anyone coming with me? :D
"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

#2 FaceValues

FaceValues

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 16
About Me

Achievements

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:59 PM

Fully support this.

Instead of looking for the right person, become the right person.

If you treat your self/symptom with a lot more compassion, you'll find your skin heals much faster when it's not constantly in store for a thrashin'. Rather than blasting the sound of what you're currently treating your face with, the case may be you just need to change the station and re-evaluate you and your skin's relationship . It's easier than you think to relate with, because much like mainstream radio emotions always make for underrated yet relevant statements.

My website is in progress and will probably benefit you in some way.

#3 spectacled_owl

spectacled_owl

With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 January 2012 - 02:30 PM

Not to get too hippie-dippie, but I really find a lot of truth in this basic law of attraction, vibrational, what-you-put-out-is-what-you-get-back ideology.

Anyone coming with me? Posted Image

Hey now what's wrong with hippie-dippie? Although I prefer hippy-trippy myself.

I'm right along there with you though. I don't avoid my acne but I accept it for what it is. People can accomplish much more staying positive and going with flow. Dwelling is such a downer, man.
Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. - Carl Sagan, Pale Blue Dot

* Changing my diet and lifestyle is the best thing I've ever done.. for my skin and myself * Real food pwnd my acne.

#4 chunkylard

chunkylard

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 January 2012 - 07:49 PM

Yes.

The less you scrutinize your skin, the better it is. There's both emotional and physical ramifications to obsessing over your skin. It's entirely possible to make yourself feel physically ill through emotion alone, I see no reason why this wouldn't contribute to a breakout.
After suffering with acne since age 11, finally found my triggers 11 years later.
Clear for almost 1 year & in control of my acne, although due to some hyperpigmentation, I believed I was still breaking out. In fact, I thought I had just cleared up a few months ago, but after realizing my "breakouts" were simply scarring I also realized I was technically clear for much longer than I thought. Rare breakouts only whenever I get lazy with my diet.

The Cure for Acne:
-Avoid the Acne Trifecta: Soy, Gluten, and Dairy like the plague.
-Eat a Low-GI diet and avoid Sugar.
-Eat lots of protein and healthy fats (ANTIBIOTIC FREE/NO HORMONES ADDED/FREE RANGE/HUMANELY SLAUGHTERED)
-Get lots of green vegetables and sunshine.
-Supplement whenever possible. Due to how much we've ruined food in the past 60 years, the amount of nutrients found in food nowadays is lower than it was decades ago.
-Exercise, get sunshine, and avoid stressful situations.
-Don't fear food. Go out & eat. It's not good for the skin, but it's good for the soul.

#5 alexisc

alexisc

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 08 January 2012 - 12:00 AM

I completely believe all the hippy dippy stuff. Your thoughts do hold a lot of power over your body - everything is connected and goes in circles. Body controls mind - mind controls body. So it makes sense that if our reality creates our thoughts - that our thoughts create reality.

I also think it's really healthy to not obsess and try to control our skin. When I weigh my self esteem based on my skin I can feel absolutely terrible. Even if my skin is clear I will then obsess over scars or pore size etc. But when you forget all of the little stuff and really just focus on being in the moment and enjoying life, your skin doesn't matter. It doesn't make you any less or more beautiful than the next person. What makes you beautiful is your attitude towards people and life itself. When I stop thinking and start living I find that I'm happy with my skin and it has more glow to it. I don't even notice all of the little imperfections.

Love and accept yourself for exactly who you are right now. 

25, female, moderate acne since age 12. 

Accutane at least 6 times.
Intolerances: corn & wheat & alcohol.

100% clear, if I follow the diet.

"the absence of flaw within beauty, is itself a flaw."

#6 FaceValues

FaceValues

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 16
About Me

Achievements

Posted 08 January 2012 - 12:30 AM

You know what I've replaced scrutinizing my skin in front of the mirror making extractions with?

Clicking the health and holistic icon in my bookmarks bar and refreshing it when I'm on the internet, which is often.

I'm with you, Ukala. Imma bounce for awhile.

~*indefinite vacation let's see how much I really mean it*~

also new pics in my gallery showing how my skin's doing. I'm ecstatic, to say the least.

Instead of looking for the right person, become the right person.

If you treat your self/symptom with a lot more compassion, you'll find your skin heals much faster when it's not constantly in store for a thrashin'. Rather than blasting the sound of what you're currently treating your face with, the case may be you just need to change the station and re-evaluate you and your skin's relationship . It's easier than you think to relate with, because much like mainstream radio emotions always make for underrated yet relevant statements.

My website is in progress and will probably benefit you in some way.

#7 jennifer36

jennifer36

every moment is a gift of life

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 19
About Me

Achievements

Posted 08 January 2012 - 01:43 AM

I entirely support this. I agree wholly with the idea of what you put into the universe being what you get back. Maintaining positivity could do worlds of wonders for so many different people and conditions.

Although I don't think I'll take any time off from this site, like you I'm going to try and think less about my skin for a week or so and see what happens. This seems like such a good idea!

Edited by jennifer36, 08 January 2012 - 01:44 AM.

my regimen:

am
wash face+chest+back with UMF 16+ manuka honey
tone with chamomile lavender tea

pm
home made grey kaolin clay, manuka honey & tea tree oil mask for 30+ minutes
spot treat with 50/50 jojoba and tea tree oil

avoiding dairy, soy, high sodium, refined sugars, processed foods since September 2011. more recently peanuts, gluten and citrus as well.

I am 90-95% clear, and still improving.

#8 uncle buck

uncle buck

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 January 2012 - 06:36 AM

Being positive has huge benefits, as long as you're still living in the real world. Compare it to standing still while someone punches you repeatedly. Are you going to wait for them to get tired? Are you going to run? OR, are you going to address the reason it's happening?

I think positivity is the core stimulation for action and learning. Positive energy will make your decisions more logical, and you'll learn a lot more about your bodies processes, and how what you're doing affects you, because you give a shit about being alive. Just don't jump off a cliff and expect a comfortable landing.
*Moderator edit, URL removed - read the board rules. *

#9 dejaclairevoyant

dejaclairevoyant

~clean body, beautiful life~

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 January 2012 - 10:37 AM

It's always better not to worry about stuff. However if some people take this to mean they are going to just eat whatever they want and not worry about it, that will only lead to making things worse. So stay on the diets, keep doing all the good stuff, but when there are slip ups along the way, don't freak out about them.

Current Skin-Care Regimen (A work in progress):

Morning:

Gentle wash with DKR cleanser

Benzoyl Peroxide 2.5% (Following Dan's Regimen)

DKR Lotion + A squirt of Argan or Grapeseed oil (The  lotion alone wasn't hydrating enough)

Skin 79 Korean BB Cream (excellent stuff)

Evening:

Gentle Wash with DKR Cleanser

Benzoyl Peroxide 2.5% (Following Dan's Regimen)

DKR Lotion + A squirt of Argan or Grapeseed oil