Photo

New Cleanser Needed

united kingdom britain

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
23 replies to this topic

#1 phish

phish

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 January 2012 - 03:19 PM

After a new cleaner after the Clean and Clear Truly Gentle one seems to have been discontinued - recommendations?

I used Cetaphil in the past but hated the feel of it, it didn't make my skin feel "clean" and I didn't like how it felt when applying. Hard to explain, guess I'm just not a fan of non-foaming washes.

#2 asburypark101

asburypark101

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 January 2012 - 04:02 PM

You can try the Acne.org cleanser, it can cause a lather and have that foaming feeling you like.

#3 whatthekell

whatthekell

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:07 PM

clean and clear foaming facial cleanser is nice, but i felt like it added to my dryness. i also heard purpose is pretty good. and neutrogena gentle skin cleanser

#4 rii

rii

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:14 PM

Haha, awww I was going to recommend Cetaphil. It's my favorite. I find that if I use products with any sort of drying medication in them it just makes matters worse. My face gets all dry and red. Blah. But Cetaphil has kept me clear for several months now, I swear by that stuff. But you are not the first person who I have heard say they don't like it because it doesn't feel like it cleans enough.
So I guess I'm just an advocate for really gentle cleansers. That has worked best for me. I know Aveeno, Olay and Neutrogena have some pretty good cleansers that are formulated without any sort of drying medications. In fact, Neutrogena has a line called "Neutrogena Naturals" that is supposed to be really gentle and contains all natural, vegetarian ingredients. If Cetaphil was suddenly pulled off the market, I would probably use the Neutrogena Naturals Purifying Facial Cleanser. So I guess that is my recommendation even though I have never actually used it before. But it is what I would choose.

#5 phish

phish

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 January 2012 - 02:45 PM

how new on the market is the neutrogena naturals stuff? doesn't seem widely available in the uk and if you can buy it it seems super expensive compared to the US

#6 emerald42

emerald42

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 January 2012 - 06:10 PM

Haha, awww I was going to recommend Cetaphil. It's my favorite. I find that if I use products with any sort of drying medication in them it just makes matters worse. My face gets all dry and red. Blah. But Cetaphil has kept me clear for several months now, I swear by that stuff. But you are not the first person who I have heard say they don't like it because it doesn't feel like it cleans enough...

I have started using dove gentle exfoliating facial cleanser. It is gentle enough to use everyday. When I came back last night from buying this product, I did a patch test on my hand and my skin was left feeling smooth and it felt really clean. I then touched the skin around my hand that I didn't use the product on and I felt it was less smooth than the area that I did the patch test on. If u get what I mean?? I'm going to use this product twice or three times a week with days inbetween with my cetaphil cleanser. Try the product and see for yourself. It was really cheap as well.

I have also used clearasil washes but, they just dried out my skin leaving the acne that I already had more irritated and red :(

Goodluck!

#7 gemmyjunebug

gemmyjunebug

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 08 January 2012 - 09:32 AM

After a new cleaner after the Clean and Clear Truly Gentle one seems to have been discontinued - recommendations?

I used Cetaphil in the past but hated the feel of it, it didn't make my skin feel "clean" and I didn't like how it felt when applying. Hard to explain, guess I'm just not a fan of non-foaming washes.

Phish, are you referring to the Clean and Clear for sensitive skin? It had a purple top/nozzle? If so...Purpose is the exact same thing. Word for word ingredients in the same exact order. Purpose and Clean and Clear are owned by Johnson and Johnson. One product is marketed for sensitive skin. The other for natural, simple, skin routine.

#8 phish

phish

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 January 2012 - 09:41 AM

this is what i've been using

Posted Image

did not know they were the same, but doesn't look like purpose is widely available in the uk. kinda wanted to move away from the above as it still was slightly too drying. think i'm going to try the neutrogena visibly clear gentle exfoliating wash

#9 gemmyjunebug

gemmyjunebug

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 08 January 2012 - 11:24 AM

this is what i've been using

Posted Image

did not know they were the same, but doesn't look like purpose is widely available in the uk. kinda wanted to move away from the above as it still was slightly too drying. think i'm going to try the neutrogena visibly clear gentle exfoliating wash

Thanks for the upload...No, this is not what I was referring too..
I see that it states soap-free? Did it lather? If so, maybe a milky non-foaming cleanser would be more suited for your skin? Also, try a SLS's free or a gentle cleanser that may or may not foam. They are still able to cleanse without the property of foam. I have been using CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser and Free&Clear Liquid Cleanser. Both work brilliant. CeraVe for everyday and Free&Clear for days with makeup. I purchase both from drugstore.com

#10 phish

phish

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 January 2012 - 04:27 PM

it did lather yes.

t's kind of a prequesite i guess, as i said, i used cetaphil in the past and didn't really feel like i was getting clean. whether this was down to the lack of lather of product itself i'm not sure, but having a cleanser that did would definitely be preferred

#11 gemmyjunebug

gemmyjunebug

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 09 January 2012 - 08:57 AM

it did lather yes.

t's kind of a prequesite i guess, as i said, i used cetaphil in the past and didn't really feel like i was getting clean. whether this was down to the lack of lather of product itself i'm not sure, but having a cleanser that did would definitely be preferred

My apologies, you did mention that! I totally understand the need for foam/lather. A milky cleanser is takes time to get used to. Even so I'm still not 100% convinced that I like the feel of a milky cleanser either. Though I appreciate the fact that it's not ripping my skin apart. Which is why I went for the Free&Clear Cleanser. Gentle enough, but still lathers for oil, dirt, and makeup removal. Don't get me wrong-the CeraVe does a good job, but it generally has to be repeated. Which is time consuming and in the long run will dry my skin out. Leading to more oil production, dry skin, and possible breakouts. Like I said the Free&Clear Cleanser is used for makeup removal as of now. It is premature for myself to say that it is the best cleanser. It's doing what it should do which makes it brilliant in itself. The 2 week test will ensure a proper product review.
My advice for looking for a new cleanser:
1. Fragrance Free
2. Check which preservatives are used in the formulation. Some are way more harsh than others.
3. Some foaming cleansers use a gentle cleanser in the ingredient list which allows the product to lather.
4. Take a list with you of what to look for within the ingredient list. It helps tremendously.
5. Check Reviews.

#12 Ripon10

Ripon10

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 January 2012 - 09:29 PM

I recommend Lumiplexion Normal (Green) Cleanser. They do ship internationally. It is fragrance free, dye free. It does not contain SLS but it lathers up great with just a pea size amount. A bottle will last you 4-5 months because it's very concentrated (why you only need a pea size). Lumiplexion products are all acne-friendly. Purpose is gentle but it does have fragrance.

#13 PLONKER

PLONKER

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 January 2012 - 07:45 AM

I like The Body Shop Tea Tree cleanser. I add extra tea tree oil to maximise its effectiveness.

#14 phish

phish

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 January 2012 - 12:00 PM

I recommend Lumiplexion Normal (Green) Cleanser. They do ship internationally. It is fragrance free, dye free. It does not contain SLS but it lathers up great with just a pea size amount. A bottle will last you 4-5 months because it's very concentrated (why you only need a pea size). Lumiplexion products are all acne-friendly. Purpose is gentle but it does have fragrance.

quite fancy trying this after doing some reading into it. although i can't see a list of ingredients on the site

how does it compare to the acne.org stuff? i haven't tried their cleanser either but was looking at buying a bottle

Edited by phish, 13 January 2012 - 12:08 PM.

#15 Ripon10

Ripon10

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 January 2012 - 12:47 PM

Ingredients for the "Normal Facial Cleanser" (they sell 4 strengths - mild, normal, balancing, extra strength):
Deionized Water, Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate, Cocamidopropy Betaine, Butylene Glycol, Aloe Vera, Panthenol, Allantoin, White Oak Bark Extract, Yucca Extract, Quarternium 10, DMDM Hydantoin, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Citric Acid, FD&C Yellow #5, FD&C Blue #1 (so there is some coloring).

Take a look at Lumiplexion's Facebook page. She offers a monthly special from FB. This month it is moisturizers at 20% off.

Comparatively, Dan's cleanser is a good cleanser. His ingredients are good and it's a much better cleanser than almost everything you'll find in a store. What I like better about the Lumiplexion is that it is a much thicker, concentrated cleanser. I put on a dime size amount, and that is more than enough to lather up and get very clean. With Dan's, you need a full pump (I actually think he recommends 2 pumps) which is a lot of product, to lather up and get clean. Dan's is about 3x less price per oz cost wise, but you'll go through at least 3x less product with Lumiplexion's.

#16 phish

phish

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 January 2012 - 01:08 PM

thanks for that. might have to pass though, the shipping to the UK would be $45 Posted Image

#17 Ripon10

Ripon10

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 January 2012 - 02:13 PM

Wow! Didn't know shipping would be that costly. I assume Dan's shipping is similar. I would recommend you looking up a local esthetician that specializes in acne near you.

See if your stores carry Eucerin, and if so try the oil-free sensitive skin cleanser. I've always had good luck with Eucerin products.

#18 ihateacne202

ihateacne202

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 January 2012 - 06:14 PM

you can still buy the clean and clear truly gentle online :) its pretty cheap!

x

#19 naturaldoctor

naturaldoctor

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 25 January 2012 - 01:10 PM

Purely natural skin acne cleanser. Cheap and really gentle on the skin. I found a lot of other cleansers just aggravate things.

#20 titoziot

titoziot

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 January 2012 - 10:47 AM

I would recommend using a toner after Cetaphil. Not any OTC toners though, which all have alcohol in them. Honestly, the Proactiv one is good. You can buy it on Ebay, so you don't need to get the whole kit. I agree that Cetaphil doesn't make me feel as cleansed...Right now I use a Balancing toner from Boscia, from Sephora, after Cetaphil/Cerave. Sephora has a huge selection, most reasonably price at 20-30$ Adding a toner will remove any excess dirt and it will help your skin tone and oil production too.