Photo

Some Questions About Diet As Related To Hormones.

diet hormones birth control topical natural

This topic is archived.
21 replies to this topic

#1 Ukulala

Ukulala

Towtally Ossum

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 31 December 2011 - 12:25 PM

Hello, friends! I hope you have some wonderful plans for NYE. Posted Image

So ... I have a few questions about diet, as it relates to hormones - and a few other things. If you could take the time to lend me your expertise, I'd be eternally grateful!

As I decipher my body's wisdom about what works and doesn't work for it, I've been thinking a lot about times in the past when I was clear, of course.

All through college, I was on BC (Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo), and used Differin. I don't think I needed Differin so much, though; I would often forget to apply it and have no issue. I think the BCP kept me in check, or whatnot. I was totally 100% clear all those years - with the occasional breakout from stress or what have you, of course. I also ate MISERABLY! I ingested lots of cheese and processed dairy (no bueno for me); I ate SO much sugar (huge sweet tooth) ... but never had an issue - with my skin, at least.

Why is it that a certain dose of estrogen kept my skin so clear, I wonder, even when the rest of my health regimen was quite poor? Can you enlighten me as to this?

I came off of the pill a year ago, and an SSRI five months later; about six months ago, I began having severe cystic breakouts. I am now 24, and thankfully, the cystic acne has calmed down(whew, my hormones re-balanced, and I'm undergoing a liver cleanse), but I still have a few whiteheads and pustules. Every body is different, and so (though I am under the care of a naturopath and follow much of his advice), I eat the way I did when I was absolutely my happiest, healthiest, and my skin was AMAZING -- while I worked on a farm. No dairy; no processed foods; all whole foods, and low GI - only grains ingested like quinoa and brown rice, with occasional home-baked bread. It was like a five week experiment in health, working there, as I got to see first hand what sort of diet and lifestyle worked best for me. Posted Image

So I try and eat a diet similar to that now, along with supporting my skin externally with a gentle wash and manuka honey. The only major difference between that point in my life and now is that, again, I was on the pill.

What can I learn from that? What sort of wisdom can I glean from my experience?

Thank you, friends. If you have any questions, please ask; I will gladly provide more information.

Happy eve!!!

EDIT: PS -- I don't know if this is relevant or helpful information, but during this struggle, my acne has mainly been on my cheeks. An occasional zit pops up on the chin, rarely the forehead, but probably 80% are on my cheeks. I wonder about that...

Edited by Ukulala, 31 December 2011 - 12:40 PM.

#2 dejaclairevoyant

dejaclairevoyant

~clean body, beautiful life~

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 December 2011 - 12:37 PM

I don't really know as I had the complete opposite experience. I got on the pill in my late teens and my face exploded. I struggled with cystic acne ever since, years and years after coming off the pill. I don't really think the pill caused it, I was already very sick, but adding it in on top of my already messed up health situation just pushed me over the edge.

Other people seem to experience the pill making them clearer.... not something I relate to at all.

#3 Ukulala

Ukulala

Towtally Ossum

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 31 December 2011 - 12:39 PM

I don't really know as I had the complete opposite experience. I got on the pill in my late teens and my face exploded. I struggled with cystic acne ever since, years and years after coming off the pill. I don't really think the pill caused it, I was already very sick, but adding it in on top of my already messed up health situation just pushed me over the edge.

Other people seem to experience the pill making them clearer.... not something I relate to at all.

Funny how different we all are. Sorry to hear that -- but glad you found your way through it. <3

#4 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 December 2011 - 05:03 PM

It might not have been the estrogen. It might have been the progestin. And it might have been coincidence.

Edited by alternativista, 31 December 2011 - 05:05 PM.

#5 Ukulala

Ukulala

Towtally Ossum

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 31 December 2011 - 07:30 PM

Oh yes? I should just do some reading on *why* BC often helps with skin - that'll help me.
I don't think it was coincidence - it'd be a mighty amazing one if it was. Buut I suppose it's a possibility.

#6 FaceValues

FaceValues

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 16
About Me
  • Interests:I'm into written/spoken word, nutrition, astrology, and light roast coffee.

Achievements

Posted 31 December 2011 - 09:54 PM

Ahh yes, the estrogen / progesterone see-saw. :)

I like the idea of progesterone-boosting, although I don't know of many ways besides using it topically.

Yasmine never really affected my skin when my derm prescribed it. Maybe because it was such a low dose, idk.

#7 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 January 2012 - 03:15 PM

^Yeah, BC never affected my skin noticeably one way or another. I think the last time I was taking it, it was helping my hirsutism, but can't say for sure. It certainly didn't make it go away, and I was doing other things as well.

#8 Ukulala

Ukulala

Towtally Ossum

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 01 January 2012 - 05:32 PM

Also -- how do you folks feel about (gentle, like oatmeal or something just as gentle) exfoliation daily? I'm thinking back to this wash I used when I was having a really beautifully clear time, and it was subtly exfoliating - also full of great ingredients, but .... Differin worked for me very well for years, and it pretty much exfoliates every time you use it, the derm told me. So apparently my skin likes exfoliation? Is it a good thing to do or should you not exfoliate daily?

I know no one has *the* anwers, but I am quite curious to hear opinions. Thanks!

#9 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 January 2012 - 05:57 PM

What differen does is different. It's a BHA aka salycilic acid which chemically exfoliates and specifically works inside the pores. You can dissolve plain aspirin in water and apply or gently scrub to do the same thing. Or use any number of OTC products like Paula's Choice. And doesn't Dan;s regimen have a BHA? Physical exfoliation might not do for you what Differin did.

#10 Ukulala

Ukulala

Towtally Ossum

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 01 January 2012 - 07:23 PM

Thank you so much for the information! I thought -- is salicylic acid a retinoid? I'll look these things up.
Really helpful - man, there's such a wealth of information on these boards. It's amazing.

#11 dejaclairevoyant

dejaclairevoyant

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 January 2012 - 09:17 PM

For exfoliation I use a cheap and simple recipe: brown sugar and honey.

Basically I mix the two together until it's this big sticky glob-like consistency. It takes a bit of effort to get it into a good mix. Then I spread it around on my skin and leave it there for a few minutes. It's best to do this when soaking in the bath because it melts from your body heat and can drip off all over your clothes and stuff.

After a few minutes you very gently scrub the mixture into your face, nicely exfoliating everything. Don't do it too hard or too long or your skin will turn pink. It's very non-irritating though, and you will have glowing (and sweet tasting) skin when you're done!

:)

#12 steven m jacobson

steven m jacobson

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 January 2012 - 10:21 PM

I have to ask, as this just sounds really strange to me, has this actually cleared your skin 100%, no acne, no marks no red marks, absolutely clear? I only ask because it would be my common sense kicking in saying that sticky sugar and honey would only clog pores and make one break out. I am not looking to start this I am just wondering if it works for you and if has made you 100% clear (baby skin).

#13 FaceValues

FaceValues

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 16
About Me
  • Interests:I'm into written/spoken word, nutrition, astrology, and light roast coffee.

Achievements

Posted 02 January 2012 - 03:01 AM

I have to ask, as this just sounds really strange to me, has this actually cleared your skin 100%, no acne, no marks no red marks, absolutely clear? I only ask because it would be my common sense kicking in saying that sticky sugar and honey would only clog pores and make one break out. I am not looking to start this I am just wondering if it works for you and if has made you 100% clear (baby skin).

Raw honey has enzymes in it that are good for skin, I used to use it for mine. Definitely casts a nice glow.

#14 dejaclairevoyant

dejaclairevoyant

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 January 2012 - 11:45 AM

Well, my skin is already clear. It's clear from my diet, as long as I stay away from grains and all my other known trigger foods. So the scrub doesn't clear my skin per say but certainly doesn't break me out and I'm very glowing afterwards. I probably wouldn't do scrubs and stuff like this except I'm VERY girly and loooooove skin care stuff... just love experimenting, playing with recipes for natural skincare, all of that. I do it for fun.

Edited by dejaclairevoyant, 02 January 2012 - 11:46 AM.

#15 chunkylard

chunkylard

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 January 2012 - 11:49 AM

I

Well, my skin is already clear. It's clear from my diet, as long as I stay away from grains and all my other known trigger foods. So the scrub doesn't clear my skin per say but certainly doesn't break me out and I'm very glowing afterwards. I probably wouldn't do scrubs and stuff like this except I'm VERY girly and loooooove skin care stuff... just love experimenting, playing with recipes for natural skincare, all of that. I do it for fun.

I like making my own skincare stuff too. It's fun to make a mess sometimes.

#16 steven m jacobson

steven m jacobson

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 January 2012 - 11:56 AM

can i see a picture? you can pm it to me if you want to stay anonymous. im just a very natural dude myself, i know when skin has been tampered with, and it is a major turn off for me.

Edited by steven m jacobson, 02 January 2012 - 11:56 AM.

#17 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 January 2012 - 12:30 PM

Thank you so much for the information! I thought -- is salicylic acid a retinoid? I'll look these things up.
Really helpful - man, there's such a wealth of information on these boards. It's amazing.

No, it isn't a retinoid. Another thing you can use is sulfur which does the same thing. Sulfur is what's in those mineral hot springs that provides the benefit. It's in some clays and Epsom salts. Tumeric spice is another source. Many people have had great results from applying tumeric, but it can stain light skin. Epsom salts are great because they also contain magnesium which is also beneficial for acne as well as relaxing muscles and helping sleep. If you like to take baths, take epsom salt baths once in a while. Although not too often. soaking in hot water isn't good for you, especially hot chlorinated water.

The advantage of BHAs like salicylic acid over AHAs from sugar (fruit, honey, milk) is that they work better inside the follicles to unclog pores so are more beneficial for acne. I have read some implication that sulfur works the same way, but it wasn't as clearly stated as I'd like it to be.

Edited by alternativista, 02 January 2012 - 12:34 PM.

#18 alexisc

alexisc

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 02 January 2012 - 12:43 PM

This might sound really strange, but you mentioned being on an SSRI. Which one were you on?

I have had horrible skin since I was about 12 years old. I've been on Accutane at least 5 times (every time it would make me clear for a year or two and then it would come back.) I always ate fairly healthy because I am a vegetarian but it never seemed to make that much of a difference.

Recently I have been having bad migraine problems. I have had to cut out all caffeine, dairy and most sugar because it causes migraines. Around the same time as this I started an SSRI (Nortriptyline) for the migraines. I now have clear skin!

Part of me wonders if the SSRI is helping clear my skin because my emotions - therefore my hormones - aren't all over the place anymore. I think it also has to do with the diet, like you said. Just thought I would share that with you because it really has me wondering now.

#19 dejaclairevoyant

dejaclairevoyant

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 January 2012 - 01:00 PM

can i see a picture? you can pm it to me if you want to stay anonymous. im just a very natural dude myself, i know when skin has been tampered with, and it is a major turn off for me.

I can try and take some pics soon, but to be fair I've been using Dan's BP on and off for years now... so I don't know if you'd think my skin looked "tampered with" lol... I only use BP if I have a breakout due to contamination (like this past thanksgiving, ate on someone's plates and BAM-glutened), otherwise I don't need it.

Personally I don't think BP makes the skin look bad at all. *shrug* Dan's skin looks great to me. I tried doing his regimen for a long time but it never really worked for me. I use it to keep my cysts and lesions from getting infected with staph (happened to me before and was HELL) but it doesn't prevent the lesions from forming, for me. Maybe for some with milder problems, it would. I don't know.

#20 Ukulala

Ukulala

Towtally Ossum

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 02 January 2012 - 05:40 PM

This might sound really strange, but you mentioned being on an SSRI. Which one were you on?

I have had horrible skin since I was about 12 years old. I've been on Accutane at least 5 times (every time it would make me clear for a year or two and then it would come back.) I always ate fairly healthy because I am a vegetarian but it never seemed to make that much of a difference.

Recently I have been having bad migraine problems. I have had to cut out all caffeine, dairy and most sugar because it causes migraines. Around the same time as this I started an SSRI (Nortriptyline) for the migraines. I now have clear skin!

Part of me wonders if the SSRI is helping clear my skin because my emotions - therefore my hormones - aren't all over the place anymore. I think it also has to do with the diet, like you said. Just thought I would share that with you because it really has me wondering now.

No problem, and I am glad that it is helping you. The SSRI i was on most recently was Lexapro; though while on it, I was fine, in coming off, I faced quite a challenge.
Emotions play a role, of course - mindbodyspirit, always, yes? :3

No, it isn't a retinoid. Another thing you can use is sulfur which does the same thing. Sulfur is what's in those mineral hot springs that provides the benefit. It's in some clays and Epsom salts. Tumeric spice is another source. Many people have had great results from applying tumeric, but it can stain light skin. Epsom salts are great because they also contain magnesium which is also beneficial for acne as well as relaxing muscles and helping sleep. If you like to take baths, take epsom salt baths once in a while. Although not too often. soaking in hot water isn't good for you, especially hot chlorinated water.

The advantage of BHAs like salicylic acid over AHAs from sugar (fruit, honey, milk) is that they work better inside the follicles to unclog pores so are more beneficial for acne. I have read some implication that sulfur works the same way, but it wasn't as clearly stated as I'd like it to be.

Ah! Thank you for this knowledge -- I had heard of sulfur and epsom salts being beneficial, but wasn't sure of why they worked.
My most recent addition to my regimen is Manuka honey; it's only been a week or so, so I haven't seen any miracles, but it definitely makes my skin look overall healthier.

Hm, epsom salts. I'll have to investigate this further. I'm also trying to make my regimen as travel friendly (and simple, if possible) as possible, so I may consider getting a face wash with some BHAs or some such. Right now, I just use a very gentle cleansing milk.