Photo

Probiotics To The Rescue!

probiotics antibiotics acne gut inflammation flora bacteria probiotic

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 123199

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 December 2011 - 12:02 AM

So... I'm about to start weaning off antibiotics and start incorporating fermented foods that are rich in probiotics into my diet.

[I've been on antibiotics for 7-8 months, "doxycycline tetracycline" and/or "doxycycline hyclate"]
(Not sure)

[assuming I have at least 1-3 servings of them a day]
How long will it take for fermented foods to repopulate my gut flora/good bacteria?Posted Image

#2 chunkylard

chunkylard

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 December 2011 - 06:46 AM

Depends how much damage the antibiotics did.
After suffering with acne since age 11, finally found my triggers 11 years later.
Clear for almost 1 year & in control of my acne, although due to some hyperpigmentation, I believed I was still breaking out. In fact, I thought I had just cleared up a few months ago, but after realizing my "breakouts" were simply scarring I also realized I was technically clear for much longer than I thought. Rare breakouts only whenever I get lazy with my diet.

The Cure for Acne:
-Avoid the Acne Trifecta: Soy, Gluten, and Dairy like the plague.
-Eat a Low-GI diet and avoid Sugar.
-Eat lots of protein and healthy fats (ANTIBIOTIC FREE/NO HORMONES ADDED/FREE RANGE/HUMANELY SLAUGHTERED)
-Get lots of green vegetables and sunshine.
-Supplement whenever possible. Due to how much we've ruined food in the past 60 years, the amount of nutrients found in food nowadays is lower than it was decades ago.
-Exercise, get sunshine, and avoid stressful situations.
-Don't fear food. Go out & eat. It's not good for the skin, but it's good for the soul.

#3 spectacled_owl

spectacled_owl

With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 December 2011 - 09:24 AM

What's your health and diet like right now? Coconut oil is an excellent antimicrobial which is useful if you've got too much bad bacteria now populating your gut. You gotta give the good guys a chance. Also, check out these articles on antibiotics and gut flora from Mark Sisson, they can both be found on this page. We pick up so much bacteria when we're young that it's hard to say if we can ever get it back after antibiotic abuse. Some people even do fecal transplants which is exactly what it sounds like. I'm certainly no expert on the subject, but real, whole, raw fermented foods are a great start.

If you can get some raw goats' milk and make kefir or raw cows' milk, if not then pasteurized organic goats' milk then finally pasteurized organic cows'. Kimchi, sauerkraut, as long as it's real lacto-fermented stuff (most of the grocery store stuff is just made with vinegar and preservatives). Kombucha tea is good. Plus eat plenty of fat, protein and veggies and avoid sugar and too much starch unless it's from nutrient dense sources like sweet potatoes and fruits. Then work some raw foods like oysters, meats (seared steak is wonderful if you've got a good source for meat), sashimi and don't be afraid of leaving a little dirt on your veggies once in a while.

Edited by spectacled_owl, 30 December 2011 - 11:44 AM.

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. - Carl Sagan, Pale Blue Dot

* Changing my diet and lifestyle is the best thing I've ever done.. for my skin and myself * Real food pwnd my acne.

#4 123199

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 December 2011 - 01:38 PM

spectacles_owl - I'm currently in pretty good health with the exception of the antibiotic factor. I eat veggies, fruits, seeds, and legumes 95% of the time, and whole grain wheat every once and a while. I only drink water, and I've eliminated all sugars/sweeteners that were previously in my diet.
BUT STILL: any idea how long repopulation would take [just enough to become stable]?

chunkylard - don't mean to sound rude or anything, but your point seems rather obvious. I tried to give a time frame [7-8 months] for the antibiotics, and was hoping that'd lead you to draw at least some kind of resultant time frame for me. Thanks for actually offering a response though, that in and of itself in greatly appreciatedPosted Image

#5 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 December 2011 - 02:25 PM

We can't tell you. But I'd do a variety of things including assorted fermented foods, probiotics with many different flora strain, etc. See this thread for some info on various strains and what they do for you. http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/topic/159595-kefir-ginger-root-for-stomachs-stripped-from-antibiotics/

Status: Clear after 30 years. Wow, I guess it's been 6 years, now.

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

When you eat stuff, Stuff Happens!

#6 123199

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 December 2011 - 03:25 AM

thanks, great stuff! i guess my overall question really isn't based around and exact time span, but instead:

Is this a very slow process? does it take like 5-7 months?

Or is it relatively quick: anywhere from a few weeks to like 2 months? Or ever sooner for that matter?

#7 spectacled_owl

spectacled_owl

With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 January 2012 - 03:48 PM

It's not a simple answer. You can probably tell by how you feel and that's it. Like, how do you feel after a meal, how's your poop, etc.
Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. - Carl Sagan, Pale Blue Dot

* Changing my diet and lifestyle is the best thing I've ever done.. for my skin and myself * Real food pwnd my acne.

#8 chunkylard

chunkylard

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 January 2012 - 08:04 PM

spectacles_owl - I'm currently in pretty good health with the exception of the antibiotic factor. I eat veggies, fruits, seeds, and legumes 95% of the time, and whole grain wheat every once and a while. I only drink water, and I've eliminated all sugars/sweeteners that were previously in my diet.
BUT STILL: any idea how long repopulation would take [just enough to become stable]?

chunkylard - don't mean to sound rude or anything, but your point seems rather obvious. I tried to give a time frame [7-8 months] for the antibiotics, and was hoping that'd lead you to draw at least some kind of resultant time frame for me. Thanks for actually offering a response though, that in and of itself in greatly appreciatedPosted Image

Your question doesn't have an answer, that's why I provided the answer I did.

Antibiotics are subject to first pass metabolism. That means that, to some degree, it's destroyed by time it circulates through body. There is no answer to your question. 7-8 months on antibiotics does not necessarily equate to 7-8 months on probiotics. There's also many opportunists out there that sell lackluster probiotics. Depending on which brand of probiotic you take, you may need to take it for a month or 14-16 months. Or you may need to take them for the rest of your life to achieve the same state of gut flora you had pre-antibiotics. Just take a high quality probiotic regularly and you'll eventually notice when its working.
After suffering with acne since age 11, finally found my triggers 11 years later.
Clear for almost 1 year & in control of my acne, although due to some hyperpigmentation, I believed I was still breaking out. In fact, I thought I had just cleared up a few months ago, but after realizing my "breakouts" were simply scarring I also realized I was technically clear for much longer than I thought. Rare breakouts only whenever I get lazy with my diet.

The Cure for Acne:
-Avoid the Acne Trifecta: Soy, Gluten, and Dairy like the plague.
-Eat a Low-GI diet and avoid Sugar.
-Eat lots of protein and healthy fats (ANTIBIOTIC FREE/NO HORMONES ADDED/FREE RANGE/HUMANELY SLAUGHTERED)
-Get lots of green vegetables and sunshine.
-Supplement whenever possible. Due to how much we've ruined food in the past 60 years, the amount of nutrients found in food nowadays is lower than it was decades ago.
-Exercise, get sunshine, and avoid stressful situations.
-Don't fear food. Go out & eat. It's not good for the skin, but it's good for the soul.