Photo

Why Don't Asians/ Japanese Have Perfect Skin If They Eat Loads Of Rice?

rice asians paleo bad carbs diet vitamin vitamins biotin candida

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
34 replies to this topic

#1 Balance Bird

Balance Bird

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 December 2011 - 02:17 AM

If grains are just empty carbs and deplete nutrients according to the paleo diet, then why do asians have such perfect skin in their culture? Do they balance those empty carbs with all that raw fish? Cause if you expose an asian to a Western diet, they will get a terrible case of acne usually.

Also i have developed a serious case of dandruff in the past few days! I have not hand dandruff for years! I just got this Sunday! I think my B vitamin levels are getting really bad (biotin perhaps?). Biotin deficiency is linked to dandruff.

I have been eating a lot! I mean a lot of meat! Ham and Beef in particular. I haven't been getting loads of greens, and i am sure my little inside critters aren't that happy, cause they have never been able to get balanced exactly.

I think that getting the perfect harmonious body, with a correct diet, will automatically fix candida. So nutritional yeast, I am going to get some. I think that is why homemade bread use to taste so good to me when I was younger. The natural yeast in it.

Edited by crystalthelondonlover, 28 December 2011 - 09:16 AM.

#2 beentheredonethat1

beentheredonethat1

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 28 December 2011 - 05:29 AM

no fucking way. i'm asian and i think caucasians have such perfect skin in their culture. what does this tells you? yes, it's true! the majority of them has it. acne only happens to the minority and acne scarring? oh god please take me now.

#3 Balance Bird

Balance Bird

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 December 2011 - 06:19 AM

no fucking way. i'm asian and i think caucasians have such perfect skin in their culture. what does this tells you? yes, it's true! the majority of them has it. acne only happens to the minority and acne scarring? oh god please take me now.

Where do you live?

#4 steven m jacobson

steven m jacobson

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 December 2011 - 06:33 AM

If grains are just empty carbs and deplete nutrients according to the paleo diet, then why do asians have such perfect skin in their culture? Do they balance those empty carbs with all that raw fish? Cause if you expose an asian to a Western diet, they will get a terrible case of acne usually.

Also i have developed a serious case of dandruff in the past few days! I have not hand dandruff for years! I just got this Sunday! I think my B vitamin levels are getting really bad (biotin perhaps?). Biotin deficiency is linked to dandruff.

I have been eating a lot! I mean a lot of meat! Ham and Beef in particular. I haven't been getting loads of greens, and i am sure my little inside critters aren't that happy, cause they have never been able to get balanced exactly.

I think that getting the perfect harmonious body, with a correct diet, will automatically fix candida. So nutritional yeast, I am going to get some. I think that is why homemade bread use to taste so good to me when I was younger. The natural yeast in it.

That is such a drastic stereotype to make. Have you ever been to Asia or Japan? I have. It is similar to the USA, there are people with it, and there are people without it. You would never know that unless you went to a country (can't believe you are throwing the whole continent under the bus here) and intermingled with its peoples. Huge assumption on your end of the spectrum. Certain shampoos can cause dandruff, SLS dries out the skin. Might want to think about switching to a gentler shampoo.

#5 beentheredonethat1

beentheredonethat1

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 28 December 2011 - 07:15 AM

Singapore. Perfect country to visit but one of the ..... to live in hahahaha

#6 Balance Bird

Balance Bird

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 December 2011 - 09:18 AM

That is such a drastic stereotype to make. Have you ever been to Asia or Japan? I have. It is similar to the USA, there are people with it, and there are people without it. You would never know that unless you went to a country (can't believe you are throwing the whole continent under the bus here) and intermingled with its peoples. Huge assumption on your end of the spectrum. Certain shampoos can cause dandruff, SLS dries out the skin. Might want to think about switching to a gentler shampoo.

I don't use shampoo, but I have been to shanghai for modeling and everyone had very clear skin, and they ate tons of rice, and vegetable dishes, and they don't really eat bread.

#7 steven m jacobson

steven m jacobson

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 December 2011 - 09:24 AM

I don't use shampoo, but I have been to shanghai for modeling and everyone had very clear skin, and they ate tons of rice, and vegetable dishes, and they don't really eat bread.

Well, they do have KFC and Mcdonalds now, and apparently they love both.

Did you recently stop using shampoo? Cuz if you did that dandruff only last for a little while (around 2 weeks), until the skin on top of the head becomes normalized in the oil production. Just keep on rinsing your hair in the shower like you would with soap.

If you have been using no shampoo for a long time and this all of a sudden happened, I have no idea what it could be.

#8 chunkylard

chunkylard

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 December 2011 - 09:50 AM

Asians have acne.

Also the Asian diet is full of very healthy things. The Western diet is not.
As far as grains go, rice is ok. Wheat is worse and what do Westerners eat? Wheat. What does the Asian diet include lots of? vegetables. What's lacking in the Western diet? Vegetables.

#9 Balance Bird

Balance Bird

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 December 2011 - 09:56 AM

Asians have acne.

As far as grains go, rice is ok. Wheat is worse and what do Westerners eat? Wheat. What does the Asian diet include lots of? vegetables. What's lacking in the Western diet? Vegetables.

Chucky! I also don't get how they eat so much soy though! Doesn't that mess with the hormones! And wouldn't their white rice have a high GI? I mean people would eat a bowl for a little snack just rice alone.

#10 SuperMachii

SuperMachii

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 December 2011 - 11:33 AM

rice.. acne.. who told you that? a scientist? a doctor? a nutritional expert? .. oh wait my bad, you read that on these boards.

#11 Bosie

Bosie

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 December 2011 - 11:33 AM

I hate to generalise or stereotype but i must say that alot of asians i see around London (particularly the chinese) have acne or acne scars. I have pointed this out to a number of friends and they said they've never realised it before but it's true. I also read somewhere on this forum that people who live in China generally have amazing skin (from this persons experience). Perhaps when people from other cultures come to the west they start to take on our rather worse diets and thats why they develop acne. Just a thought.

#12 Intoxifornication

Intoxifornication

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 48
About Me

Posted 28 December 2011 - 12:38 PM

You said it, you met Models then? the artists use tons of make-up to make their skin look perfect

Anyone can have acne

#13 Tunnelvisionary

Tunnelvisionary

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6
About Me

Posted 28 December 2011 - 12:44 PM

As far as my understanding goes, rice is just kind of starchy, if it does have gluten, it doesn't contain the component that actually does damage (unless you're a celiac). People don't need to avoid certain foods forever, just until you get your digestive system on track (there seems to be some exceptions, such as if you're celiac, you can never eat gluten, etc.) My family in Pakistan consume lots of rice, but it's covered with meat and vegetables. None of my family there has acne. Look into the GAPS diet if you want to learn more. (It's not something entirely different from Paleo, they are actually pretty similar) http://www.acne.org/...ins-in-the-gut/

I've read that Asians don't actually eat a crap ton of soy, and if they do, it's all fermented. Fermenting soy, and wheat, and whatever else can be fermented is usually safer because the process removes a lot of the toxins.

#14 chunkylard

chunkylard

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 December 2011 - 11:31 PM

Asians have acne.

Chucky! I also don't get how they eat so much soy though! Doesn't that mess with the hormones! And wouldn't their white rice have a high GI? I mean people would eat a bowl for a little snack just rice alone.

Honestly, having done one semester of school in Asia, I can say that I always assumed they eat a lot of soy, especially tofu, but in reality it's not that much soy and much of the soy is some fermented stuff like natto (which is basically the kefir of soy products because it's actually decent for you.) Not to mention, even with the small negative aspects of the traditional Asian diet, they have more than enough to make up for it with regular seafood intake, vegetables, farming practices that haven't been modernized and thus they are by default organic grass-fed meats, etc. As far as rice goes, its almost always eaten with something (from what I've seen personally) that would lower its glycemic impact such as fibrous vegetables or meat (fat.) Also important to mention that herbal remedies and teas are all part of the regular diet as well and thus it's easy to see that many of the foods they consume are anti-inflammatory so they're not at risk of nearly as many diseases of affluence.

I mean if fermented soy and white rice are your only two vices, you're doing pretty well in my opinion.

Edited by chunkylard, 28 December 2011 - 11:36 PM.

#15 dejaclairevoyant

dejaclairevoyant

~clean body, beautiful life~

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 December 2011 - 01:22 PM

I haven't been everywhere in asia but I did a backpacking trip through the south east a few years back and I don't think I saw soy eaten there even once. I'm sure you could buy it places, maybe in the bigger more modern grocery markets and what not but none of the traditional restaurants and food huts I went to ever had any form of soy.

Anyway though, plenty of Asian people have acne. I don't know where people get these ideas from.

A lot of people just don't have acne. We are definitely the minority. For years I've been sneakily checking out people's skin in public and most people simply do not have acne. So there's a large change you could go into a mall full of mostly Asian people and look around and see most of them with clear skin too.

But people from all over do get acne. They just tend to hide at home more, wear tons of makeup, keep their faces down, etc.

#16 LiveLaughFart

LiveLaughFart

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Achievements

Posted 29 December 2011 - 06:09 PM

I love this topic because asians are the people that are known to have perfect skin. I read that rice is a relatively new food so they couldn't have eaten it for very long enough to cause acne/health issues. today, there are tons of asians that eat crap and still don't breakout because of their strong genetics. There ansestors have been eating healthy for such a long time that it would take many generations of eating the western diet to cause acne in their offspring.

They eat a lot of raw vegetables, and when the foreign asian students that came from Japan or China or whatever had to say facts about themselves in front of the class most of them said they love fruit and vegetables.

I believe rice is bad for acne 100% because I notice breakouts everytime I eat it no matter what..so I just avoid it.

Rice is very hard to digest also and has been known to cause a lot of diseases, including diabetes and chromes disease, and arthritis so it should be avoided even if you don't have acne.

I told my mom the o ther day (since she has acne too) that we should adopt the older asian diet..what they ate thousands of years earlier NOT recently because there skin genetics are so strong that they don't really need to avoid sertain things and they can thank their ansestors. Except ofcoarse some asians, that have eaten a more western diet for enough generations, they are the offsprings that get affected and have to cut out things from their diet.

But most westernized people have acne, not because of rice but by eating processed, canned, microvawed, artificial food throughout their life. The food available in the modern day groceries can get pretty bad.

Edited by LiveLaughFart, 29 December 2011 - 06:11 PM.

#17 steven m jacobson

steven m jacobson

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 December 2011 - 06:10 PM

rice.. acne.. who told you that? a scientist? a doctor? a nutritional expert? .. oh wait my bad, you read that on these boards.

haha, exactly.

#18 beentheredonethat1

beentheredonethat1

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 30 December 2011 - 05:18 AM

I don't think I've ever seen an indian with acne. Am i gonna ask if it's the curry? No.

#19 dejaclairevoyant

dejaclairevoyant

~clean body, beautiful life~

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 December 2011 - 10:30 AM

Well to be fair curry is usually great skin food. :) Think about it, veggies, spices, coconut.... good for ya.

#20 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 December 2011 - 10:34 AM

I don't think I've ever seen an indian with acne. Am i gonna ask if it's the curry? No.

It's all their veggie and spice rich foods. And they don't actually make any dishes they call curry.