Photo

Are My Acne Products Causing This Rash? (Pictures)

tretinoin neck rash retinoids

4 replies to this topic

#1 musicismyforte

musicismyforte

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 December 2011 - 08:26 PM

Just on the 22nd or 23rd, I've been noticing my neck start to itch. It slowly developed into a full blown rash on the right side of my neck.

I've been using a Tretinoin gel (Stieva-A 0.025%), and switched to a stronger Tretinoin cream (Stieva-A Forte 0.1%) about two or three weeks ago, and I only put it on my face and jawline. I've also been on minocycline for the past two months, but that hasn't really changed anything.

Nothing else has changed in my skin care, other than the introduction of a weak (1%) salicylic acid exfoliator (Biore Pore Perfect Pore Unclogging Scrub) in the mornings, which I bought at least a month ago.

I've put calamine lotion on it a few minutes ago to try and calm it down, so hopefully that will work. :/

Anyone experienced something similar to this? If so, how was it solved? Thanks!

(in the pictures, the camera is flipped, but it is still the right side)

Attached Thumbnails

• photo (1).JPG
  • photo (2).JPG

Edited by musicismyforte, 27 December 2011 - 08:27 PM.

#2 Guest_GoHorns_*

Guest_GoHorns_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 7

Posted 27 December 2011 - 08:36 PM

Only way to know for sure is to stop all the products you are currently taking and apply some raw oatmeal (wet of course) on the rash to help calm it down. Just grab a handful of oatmeal, wet it in your hand and apply it to the rash let it sit for a few minutes and rinse off with cold water.

Have you recently started wearing coats I know the weather is cooling off in places right now could it be irritation from clothing you are wearing now? I have a coat that I love but the collar rubs me raw so I don't wear it much.

Edited by GoHorns, 27 December 2011 - 08:38 PM.

#3 marissa8161

marissa8161

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 19
About Me

Achievements

Posted 27 December 2011 - 08:48 PM

I got a rash like that on my neck from my Differin 0.3% when the weather started getting cold. I don't put it on my neck, but when I sleep at night and its cold outside, I have this bad habit of cuddling up in a little ball and snuggling my face into my pillow. I guess some of the Differin rubbed off on my pillow and got onto my neck that way... could that be happening to you with your Tretinoin?

#4 jennifer36

jennifer36

every moment is a gift of life

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:art, tea, music, skincare

Achievements

Posted 27 December 2011 - 10:54 PM

Whenever I use harsh chemicals my skin gets eczema, which when I get it on my neck looks similar to what you have. It could most definitely be caused by the products you're using. Try some oatmeal like GoHorns said. This might sound weird but take a bath/soak the skin on your neck in a mixture of colloidal oatmeal and green tea. I do this in a bath whenever my eczema is bad or I have any other skin irritation on my body (it works wonders for sunburns too).
my regimen:

am
wash face+chest+back with UMF 16+ manuka honey
tone with chamomile lavender tea

pm
home made grey kaolin clay, manuka honey & tea tree oil mask for 30+ minutes
spot treat with 50/50 jojoba and tea tree oil

avoiding dairy, soy, high sodium, refined sugars, processed foods since September 2011. more recently peanuts, gluten and citrus as well.

I am 90-95% clear, and still improving.

#5 musicismyforte

musicismyforte

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 December 2011 - 11:02 PM

Only way to know for sure is to stop all the products you are currently taking and apply some raw oatmeal (wet of course) on the rash to help calm it down. Just grab a handful of oatmeal, wet it in your hand and apply it to the rash let it sit for a few minutes and rinse off with cold water.

Have you recently started wearing coats I know the weather is cooling off in places right now could it be irritation from clothing you are wearing now? I have a coat that I love but the collar rubs me raw so I don't wear it much.

In Canada it's still fairly cold, so I'm definitely wearing a coat. I hadn't thought that it could be causing me irritation! I'll definitely look into that, thanks. :D
I'll also be getting a hold of some oatmeal soon.

I got a rash like that on my neck from my Differin 0.3% when the weather started getting cold. I don't put it on my neck, but when I sleep at night and its cold outside, I have this bad habit of cuddling up in a little ball and snuggling my face into my pillow. I guess some of the Differin rubbed off on my pillow and got onto my neck that way... could that be happening to you with your Tretinoin?

Haha, I definitely do that in the winter time. xD
I've been trying to change my pillowcase as frequently as possible, but I've been slacking off the past few days. I'll definitely change it tonight and see if it makes a difference!

Whenever I use harsh chemicals my skin gets eczema, which when I get it on my neck looks similar to what you have. It could most definitely be caused by the products you're using. Try some oatmeal like GoHorns said. This might sound weird but take a bath/soak the skin on your neck in a mixture of colloidal oatmeal and green tea. I do this in a bath whenever my eczema is bad or I have any other skin irritation on my body (it works wonders for sunburns too).

Will do the oatmeal bath! :D Thanks! I'm going to try and get to the doctor soon, too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users