Photo

To All You Ladies Out There With Foundation Q's, Talk To Me <3

makeup foundation primer oily skin makeupforever red marks full coverage concealer

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
34 replies to this topic

#21 l'espoir

l'espoir

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 January 2012 - 02:28 AM

Thanks for sharing, LiveTieDye, but I just wanted to point out that what works for you isn't always the only/best option for everyone, which is what I got from the tone of your post in certain places. I apply liquid foundation with a brush (Sigma F80) and am very happy with the results, and I use a duo fiber/finishing brush to apply my setting powder, which works fine as long as I use a gentle patting motion rather than sweeping the brush over my face. Also, not all mineral makeup irritates the skin; in fact I would argue that some brands of MMU are much better for acne-prone skin than any brand of liquid makeup, because powders are less comedogenic than liquids. I learned a lot from the posts of LabGirl, who's a cosmetic chemist. I forget her full member name but I think it's LabGirl followed by some numbers.

But thanks again for your helpful post and your product recommendations (especially the Philosophy primer). I currently alternate between Meow Cosmetics Flawless Feline mineral foundation and Equilibrium Balancing Powder, and Tarte ReCreate Anti-Aging Foundation and Clean Slate Primer. I also like Hourglass Mineral Primer and Laura Mercier Invisible Setting Powder.

#22 LiveTieDye

LiveTieDye

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 January 2012 - 02:02 PM

L'Oreal True Match is actually pretty good. They have lots of shades and are perfect for fair skin (no orange undertones)
After trying expensive foundations, I think that L'Oreal can compete with them. Coverage is pretty good too.

I really thought that was a good foundation cause of the colors however the day i wore it i looked in the mirror and saw like 10 more zits..

#23 Cherryx

Cherryx

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 January 2012 - 09:25 PM

L'Oreal True Match is actually pretty good. They have lots of shades and are perfect for fair skin (no orange undertones)
After trying expensive foundations, I think that L'Oreal can compete with them. Coverage is pretty good too.

I really thought that was a good foundation cause of the colors however the day i wore it i looked in the mirror and saw like 10 more zits..

Hahaha I stopped wearing makeup a while ago. So I cannot really tell if it caused zits, but I remember when i wore make-up I had new acne all the time.

#24 snsdgirl14

snsdgirl14

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 08 January 2012 - 04:30 AM

Thank you so much for your tips!!! I'll try using a wet sponge to apply my foundation now.

Also, Make Up For Ever is a GREAT brand. I don't have their HD Foundation, but I use their Full Cover concealer for my blemishes and underneath my eyes, and it really covers everything up. It isn't cakey, and it blends well into the skin. I use MAC Studio Fix foundation on top, and they work together nicely to cover everything up.

#25 LiveTieDye

LiveTieDye

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:17 AM

Thank you so much for your tips!!! I'll try using a wet sponge to apply my foundation now.

Also, Make Up For Ever is a GREAT brand. I don't have their HD Foundation, but I use their Full Cover concealer for my blemishes and underneath my eyes, and it really covers everything up. It isn't cakey, and it blends well into the skin. I use MAC Studio Fix foundation on top, and they work together nicely to cover everything up.

YAYY! haha your welcome :)

#26 spotsofbother

spotsofbother

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 January 2012 - 04:48 PM

I used to use L'Oreal Infallible - thought it was soooooo good at covering but it made my face super oily :[

Now I'm using UNE which is 98% natural so fingers crossed...

Revlon Colorstay is awful by the way, totally cakey and feels like you're wearing a mask

#27 NotCleanAndNotClear

NotCleanAndNotClear

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 01 February 2012 - 01:07 PM

any tips for BP and makeup? when i leave the house in the morning it looks okay. but after a few hours it gets cakey :( and i do of course apply a moisturizer... i'm using maybelline pure mineral makeup and a compact powder...

#28 FaceValues

FaceValues

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 16
About Me

Achievements

Posted 02 February 2012 - 07:33 PM

Mmm'kay, so I'm interested in finding a new liquid foundation, tinted moisturizer (preferable), or perhaps what I need is a primer.

I've just started wearing makeup again, stuff I've already owned: a mineral concealer by maybelline, and some loose powder by faerie organics (honey fair or honey light all over my face, and a slightly darker 'light' underneath cheek bones/on the sides of my nose/perimeter of face). Since I'm putting the concealer literally all over my face and getting this weird cakey, dehydrated, flakey look with a slight shine and little lines from where I spread it with my fingers, I'm assuming a primer/liquid foundation would be the way to go. I used to have a tinted moisturizer by stila I liked, maybe I'll get more of that and some kind of primer. My only experience with a primer was photofinish by smashbox, I remember it going on really smoothly but didn't use it enough to notice it's effectiveness.

I've got some purple scars, scattered enlarged pores, and a few icepick/rolling/box scars (I don't necessarily care to identify which indent is which) if that helps.

I'm just looking for some products that don't have too many scary chemicals/sulfates/parabens/xenoestrogens in them, give me enough coverage and "together" feeling while also being relatively light and natural-feeling. Any thoughts on paula's choice and it's coverage? I also noticed the philosophy product mentioned in the first post doesn't have any scary ingredients, which is awesome

Thaaaaanks.

#29 LizzLemon

LizzLemon

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 February 2012 - 03:50 PM

ahhh, finally, a super fun thread! we may all have skin problems but makeup adds some fun to the equation! :)

...for anyone who has flaky skin, i suggest letting your lotion soak in for at least 15 minutes before putting on any makeup. this seems to give my skin time to normalize and build up a little base of oil which, illogically, makes application easier & stays longer... as long as i don't touch it!

i'm currently off liquid foundation & primer. i've been too scared to cause a flare up now that DKR is starting to work for me. I have been using ELF mineral makeup and maybelline stick concealer for under my eyes. ELF also has a blemish mineral concealer (contains sulfur) which works well for my open zits and whiteheads... & it doesn't seem to compete much with the BP. i also use taklon brushes (antibacterial and washed regularly) and apply the mineral makeup very lightly so as not to upset my skin.
...but all this is recommended for anyone who wants light coverage. if you want full coverage, philosphy/MUFE HD sounds awesome!

#30 Jlisondra

Jlisondra

misalnya u tidak tahan ketika aku pergi.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Posted 04 February 2012 - 05:27 PM

ooo .. i like elf =D does their mineral makeup last long in terms of value if u use it almost every day? i think their mineral booster is a great finishing powder. i have the largest size, and still have a lot of product left even though i bought it prob 8 months ago.

Edited by guacohmy, 04 February 2012 - 05:29 PM.

#31 LizzLemon

LizzLemon

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 February 2012 - 08:54 AM

ooo .. i like elf =D does their mineral makeup last long in terms of value if u use it almost every day? i think their mineral booster is a great finishing powder. i have the largest size, and still have a lot of product left even though i bought it prob 8 months ago.

I wear it everyday so I go through the foundation pretty quickly as it is only sold in the small size... I get 2-3 months out of it. I like the mineral booster too and I wish the foundation came in that size! I had to stop wearing the booster for a while though because it dries out my skin too much. The foundation alone is a little more forgiving :)

#32 gemmyjunebug

gemmyjunebug

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 06 February 2012 - 03:15 PM

Mmm'kay, so I'm interested in finding a new liquid foundation, tinted moisturizer (preferable), or perhaps what I need is a primer.

I've just started wearing makeup again, stuff I've already owned: a mineral concealer by maybelline, and some loose powder by faerie organics (honey fair or honey light all over my face, and a slightly darker 'light' underneath cheek bones/on the sides of my nose/perimeter of face). Since I'm putting the concealer literally all over my face and getting this weird cakey, dehydrated, flakey look with a slight shine and little lines from where I spread it with my fingers, I'm assuming a primer/liquid foundation would be the way to go. I used to have a tinted moisturizer by stila I liked, maybe I'll get more of that and some kind of primer. My only experience with a primer was photofinish by smashbox, I remember it going on really smoothly but didn't use it enough to notice it's effectiveness.

I've got some purple scars, scattered enlarged pores, and a few icepick/rolling/box scars (I don't necessarily care to identify which indent is which) if that helps.

I'm just looking for some products that don't have too many scary chemicals/sulfates/parabens/xenoestrogens in them, give me enough coverage and "together" feeling while also being relatively light and natural-feeling. Any thoughts on paula's choice and it's coverage? I also noticed the philosophy product mentioned in the first post doesn't have any scary ingredients, which is awesome

Thaaaaanks.

I just purchased Hourglass Mineral Veil Primer. I cannot wait to try this out! It was rec by CaliforniaEstie and also mentioned by a few others. I looked up the reviews on Makeupalley. They are pretty harsh with their rating. Surprisingly, this ranked really, really, well. That's a bonus! I also was even more intrigued when I saw it rec'd by Cassanda the youtube acne girl. She did a segment on GMA about her acne and became a youtube hit overnight. Her name on youtube is Diamondandheels14. A must watch. She gives so many great tips about makeup application and acne. A must watch! I purchased my Hourglass Primer through Sephora. It is my first! I've always been very, very, wary about primers so I thought I'd give it a shot!
I've been trying out a few new foundations here and there...while still remaining faithful to my brand that I am 100% okay with knowing it will not cause reactions or breakouts.(Hello Minerals Mineral Makeup Foundation, Concealer, Finishing Minerals, and Bronzers) Liquid foundations I find in the winter for myself are the way to go. My skin lacks moisture and looks dull regardless of my moisturizing routine. It's also the lack of sunshine which just broadcasts every mark and spot. So, I've been adventurous and tried a few drugstore brands. I've tried out CoverGirl. Honestly, say what you want about this drugstore brand but it worked very, very, well. I used the CG Clean for Sensitive skin and CG Aqua Smoothers. They were light feel on the skin(depending on your application), coverage was medium to full(again depending on application, and better that they did not cause reactions or breakouts for my skin. I have always used the CG Concealer Sticks for under eye problems and again those worked well for me. I been doing foundation and dusting with my Hello Minerals to set the makeup. So far so good. Adding a primer I think will just make some scars, redness, pores, less apparent. I have absolutely nothing against dept.store foundations I've yet to find one that doesn't cause my skin to itch or burn. Generally, what I have found is the added flower oils, fragrance, and questionable natural plant ingredients aggravate my skin. Again, that is my skin. Basic CG matches my skin and it covers. So, until I find that magic foundation ...I have no problem paying drugstore price for a product that actually works just fine for everyday wear.
Regarding Paula's Choice foundations- I'm not a fan of her at all, but that's beside the point. If her foundation works than great. I ordered a few samples in a couple shades from her Foundation line and tinted. The colors run dark if you are at all pale-it probably will not work. They are extremely fluide in texture. Coverage was light if at all. So a big thumbs down from me. That's not to say light doesn't feel good as a foundation....if it would cover that would be ideal. Hope that helps!

#33 mm..Brian..

mm..Brian..

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:12 PM

Gaaah, I am crazy to try out MUFE HD!!! But I just got 2 new foundations so need to use those up first before buying it. Can I be cheeky and ask to see a photo of you wearing MUFE HD? I ask because I'd like to know which shade to buy...I've been thinking of 117 but you said you have light-medium yellow skin which sounds like mine lol

#34 Vampireninja09

Vampireninja09

Ten hour tomato.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:29 PM

^You should try it. I love it. I wear 110 in it, so my skin looks nothing like yours...skintone wise, but it's a good foundation. It's the only thing I'll wear when I wear makeup.

#35 TheSavyBanana

TheSavyBanana

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Achievements

Posted 20 February 2012 - 03:09 PM

Please, please, please make a video! I have absolutely hated every single primer I've used. They make my makeup look horrible and they never seem to make my skin look any different than it did without the primer. I would love more info on this. Also I would like info on the foundations you mentioned because I'm always iffy about trying new foundations.