Photo

Starting Tri Sprintec Birth Control In Jan. Log With Questions?

vitamin a oily skin

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 harleyquinn1801

harleyquinn1801

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 December 2011 - 07:30 PM

HI everyone,

So I've had acne since I was in high school but it was very mild and hardly noticeable. I started breaking out REALLY bad after high school. Like cysts, whiteheads, nodules, papules, pustules, blackheads...u get the picture. Also, after high school, my skin got ridiculously oily. I've always had oily skin but its gotten to the point where I have to blot my face every 30 mins or it'll look like someone slapped crisco all over my face. Im 22 going on 23 and I'm just tired of looking in the mirror waiting for a pimple to appear.

I was able to clear most of my acne by going to a clinic that specializes in acne in 2009-2010 by using topicals such as Vitamin A, Mandelic Acid, BP, glycolic acid etc... 2011, my skin was pretty clear. I actually stopped using my topicals cuz i thought I didn't need it anymore and my skin actually looked better being off of them. Fast forward to August 2011 and now, my skin is a mess. I'm using all the same topicals I used before and it seems like my skin is resistant to it or maybe I'm just purging cuz of all the acids I'm using. I know my acne is due to hormones because my skin is soooooo oily and I do have irregular periods. I also cut out dairy which was a main culprit in my chin & jawline acne so that area's pretty clear except for my cheeks, forehead and temple. Those are the worst.

I wanted to go on SPIRO but my doctor advised me to try birth control first plus the fact that my periods are irregular, going on Spiro would just make it worst. My problem is this... I know that most birth controls come with an initial break out and they usually last 3-4 months so I'm wondering if its worth me taking. The reason is that my skin scars so easily. I mean depressed scars. So if I end up with an initial breakout especially with cysts/nodules, they will definitely leave a scar behind. I'm worried I'll be doing more damage to my skin by going on birth control but than again, I could be clearer in the long run....but than again I might not so it's kind of like a gamble to take.

Does anyone have any advice for me on what I should do or words of encouragement? Any advice is appreciated n I hope my log will be beneficial to others trying Tri Sprintec if I do decide to go on it in January.

#2 tracy521

tracy521

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 December 2011 - 09:56 PM

i took ortho tricyclen for years with no problems and when i was switched to tri sprintec i never stopped breaking out. it was awful. everybody reacts differently to birth control so its hard to say what your skin will do but i would get a good topical and make sure you are using that as well. i use benzaclin and it works great. i dont take birth control anymore and my face got alot better but i am taking doxycycline. i got a clarisonic mia a month ago and it works so well i am going to try and start to taper off my antibiotics.

Edited by Karen Howz, 22 December 2011 - 09:59 PM.

#3 Hopefulstar

Hopefulstar

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 December 2011 - 11:30 PM

Im using tri sprintec right now with 50mg spironolactone. My face is clearing up but i would breakout still. Im still breaking out since i am only in my second pack and second week and going into my sugar pill week on saturday. I would say to go with trisprintec because i can see that its SLOWLY working for me but just be prepared because it will get WAY worse before you see any improvements. It could take 6 months to notice results. My acne got SO bad, it was painful. I would go for it and just stick with it for 6 months because youll be clear and its trusted since its FDA approved. Goodluck!

Edited by Hopefulstar, 22 December 2011 - 11:31 PM.

#4 Casablancaa

Casablancaa

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 December 2011 - 01:18 AM

i got a clarisonic mia a month ago and it works so well i am going to try and start to taper off my antibiotics.

Yay, I just got my clarisonic Mia 2 days ago and my mom and I have both been using it....I like it so far, but want to see what it does for my skin in the long run...

To the OP, you can read Hopefulstar's log and my log on Tri Sprintec birth control.........boy oh boy, all I know from these past 3 months (and from hearing about a lot of other girl's complaints) is that the initial breakout on generic OTC is probably one of the worst....but I'm sticking with it because I think after the initial breakout period it will be good........Im taking the minocycline antibiotic because I just can't cope with the cysts anymore......Once my body gets used to Tri Sprintec, I can stop the antibiotic (I hear it takes SIX months!), but for now, I really don't want permanent scarring...

but I would say if you're 100% sure you want to take Tri Sprintec, if you experience the initial breakout in the first few months, and it gets too bad, you can always go on antibiotics for a few months until that period has passed...if you're not 100% sure, there are a ton of other BCPs out there that don't quite have this same horrible breakout period (I've been on a few of them).....

Good luck!

Edited by Casablancaa, 23 December 2011 - 01:23 AM.

Female/Cystic Hormonal Acne
2005-2007~ Doxycycline= was clear, but went ineffective
2007-2009~ Minocycline and Yasmin Birth Control= was clear
2009-July 2011~ Ortho Novum Birth Control Pill 1/50 + Minocycline= was clear, but severe eczema on hand
Oct. 2011-June 2012~ Tri-Sprintec Birth Control Pill (Generic Ortho Tricyclen) =Bad acne
July 2012 ~ Ortho Tri Cyclen BCP = Not too bad at the moment, just scars

#5 harleyquinn1801

harleyquinn1801

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 December 2011 - 08:28 PM

i got a clarisonic mia a month ago and it works so well i am going to try and start to taper off my antibiotics.

Yay, I just got my clarisonic Mia 2 days ago and my mom and I have both been using it....I like it so far, but want to see what it does for my skin in the long run...

To the OP, you can read Hopefulstar's log and my log on Tri Sprintec birth control.........boy oh boy, all I know from these past 3 months (and from hearing about a lot of other girl's complaints) is that the initial breakout on generic OTC is probably one of the worst....but I'm sticking with it because I think after the initial breakout period it will be good........Im taking the minocycline antibiotic because I just can't cope with the cysts anymore......Once my body gets used to Tri Sprintec, I can stop the antibiotic (I hear it takes SIX months!), but for now, I really don't want permanent scarring...

but I would say if you're 100% sure you want to take Tri Sprintec, if you experience the initial breakout in the first few months, and it gets too bad, you can always go on antibiotics for a few months until that period has passed...if you're not 100% sure, there are a ton of other BCPs out there that don't quite have this same horrible breakout period (I've been on a few of them).....

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I've read and researched all over these boards and through google and i hear that the initial breakout is really bad.... I know most bodies are different but if the majority of people are getting really bad initial breakouts than I probably will too. I just don't know what to do. I know that taking birth control is more of a preventative but once going off of it, it can came back worse, not to mention the side effects.

I can't take any antibiotics because I'm highly allergic. I break out into hives all over my body. Im allergic to minocycline, tetracycline, doxycycline and sulfa. So I pretty much can't take ANY major antibiotic that's usually prescribed for acne.

The thing that really concerns me is the initial breakout. My skin scars really easily and I don't know if I can handle all the new cysts and nodules that will form and that will leave behind a scar. I'm so confused whether to start it or not...

#6 Casablancaa

Casablancaa

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 December 2011 - 09:37 PM

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I've read and researched all over these boards and through google and i hear that the initial breakout is really bad.... I know most bodies are different but if the majority of people are getting really bad initial breakouts than I probably will too. I just don't know what to do. I know that taking birth control is more of a preventative but once going off of it, it can came back worse, not to mention the side effects.

I can't take any antibiotics because I'm highly allergic. I break out into hives all over my body. Im allergic to minocycline, tetracycline, doxycycline and sulfa. So I pretty much can't take ANY major antibiotic that's usually prescribed for acne.

The thing that really concerns me is the initial breakout. My skin scars really easily and I don't know if I can handle all the new cysts and nodules that will form and that will leave behind a scar. I'm so confused whether to start it or not...

The initial breakout on generic Ortho Tri cyclen is bad. So have you considered other brands? The other brands of birth control I've been on, the "initial breakout" (not even 1/2 as bad as the initial breakout on generic OTC) lasted only a month and then only sporatic pimples for another month or so....but it was pretty good from the start unlike this one. lol.

There's a birth control pill out there for everyone....Did your doctor just prescribe you this one or did you request specifically for Tri Sprintec? Maybe just research some other brands that have really good reviews and have been established for a long time. I've generally had really great experiences with birth control pills clearing my acne...it's the reason why my severe acne has been under control and in the clear since I was 18ish...

Also, once going off it, you'll break out again, (I just tried to stop it in July but started back on it in October), but in my theory, girls just say "it can come back worse" because being on the birth control pill makes you so clear, that you don't even realize the pill is reducing your oil production on your skin and your hair and once you come off it, it returns to the state you were in pre birth control pill which makes it seem worst than it is...

Sorry about the antibiotic allergy!! I remember when I first took Minocycline years ago, I got an initial hive reaction one weekend but it went away...

My skin is the same, I can't handle permanent scarring (ice pick scars/hypertrophic scars) which is why I'm taking the antibiotic..I have ice pick scars near my temple from when I was 15, I don't want to add on to those!

My advice would be to research other brands....

It's funny because the first thing I came across 3 months ago when I was researching Tri Previfem (another generic brand of Ortho tri cyclen) was this post~~ I was thinking oh no, that's not a good sign if that's the first thing that comes up in google..lol..

How long will the birth control Tri-Previfem give me horrible acne?
Before I went on it I had very mid acne. I'm currently on the first week of my second month of the pill and my facial acne is worse than it's ever been in my life, every kind five times more abundant than it's ever been, embarrassing and painful!

Is this normal, and if so, how long until it stops? I'm having a hard time believing that it's actually supposed to help with acne problems!

Edited by Casablancaa, 23 December 2011 - 09:50 PM.

2009-July 2011~ Ortho Novum Birth Control Pill 1/50 + Minocycline= was clear, but severe eczema on hand
Oct. 2011-June 2012~ Tri-Sprintec Birth Control Pill (Generic Ortho Tricyclen) =Bad acne

#7 harleyquinn1801

harleyquinn1801

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 December 2011 - 05:22 AM

The thing with my acne is that its mainly non inflamed acne and some cysts and nodules especially when I'm stressed or about to start my period. I hardly ever get jawline acne or chin acne. My jawline and chin are actually pretty clear minus the couple of blackheads and whiteheads. What I have mainly is concentrated on my cheeks, temples and forehead and my cheeks and temples are where I break out the most and scar easily so I don't know if going on birth control will lessen that. I have mainly right now are white heads, blackheads and really clogged pores. And my skin is super duper oily like I really have to blot like every 30 mins.

I know that I should try going on Spiro but I have heart problems since i was young and my doctor advised me that it would be better if i just did birth control because spiro would just aggravate my heart.

Im really torn into two right now.......

#8 betsy91

betsy91

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Posted 26 December 2011 - 03:39 PM

Hi! I'm on it as well! Definitely read Casablanca and hopeful's logs. They show what theyre going through,'were all kind of in this together and have been pushing each other. We got really bad initial break outs but as we go through a new pack the IBs aren't as strong

Et Hoe Transit

This too shall pass....

#9 Casablancaa

Casablancaa

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 December 2011 - 04:31 AM

The thing with my acne is that its mainly non inflamed acne and some cysts and nodules especially when I'm stressed or about to start my period. I hardly ever get jawline acne or chin acne. My jawline and chin are actually pretty clear minus the couple of blackheads and whiteheads. What I have mainly is concentrated on my cheeks, temples and forehead and my cheeks and temples are where I break out the most and scar easily so I don't know if going on birth control will lessen that. I have mainly right now are white heads, blackheads and really clogged pores. And my skin is super duper oily like I really have to blot like every 30 mins.

I know that I should try going on Spiro but I have heart problems since i was young and my doctor advised me that it would be better if i just did birth control because spiro would just aggravate my heart.

Well it's a tough decision for you since you don't break out in the typical hormonal areas of the face (chin/jawline) and are allergic to antibiotics and have heart problems....hm....You say you have whiteheads/blackheads/clogged pores, it seems to me that this isn't severe acne but rather mild acne? So you have to weigh the pros and cons of it in the end, which is what we do with oral medications, since every medication has side effects...will the outcome and the results > side effects...for me, at this stage in my life as in the past decade, I won't be 100% clear with 0 medications....and that is what I want, I don't want cysts, pimples, scars and my medication history in the past has made me up to 99% clear...

I'm not really sure about what you should do since you have many limitations with your health and I'm not sure how severe your acne is...is it unbearable that you need to be on BCP like most girls taking the pill for acne reasons? Are you willing to go through an initial breakout period to clear up what acne you have now? And also keep in mind, the pill has side effects too, 1 being it raises your blood pressure....think about all these things ! Posted Image

Edited by Casablancaa, 27 December 2011 - 04:48 AM.

#10 harleyquinn1801

harleyquinn1801

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 December 2011 - 08:56 PM

Well it's a tough decision for you since you don't break out in the typical hormonal areas of the face (chin/jawline) and are allergic to antibiotics and have heart problems....hm....You say you have whiteheads/blackheads/clogged pores, it seems to me that this isn't severe acne but rather mild acne? So you have to weigh the pros and cons of it in the end, which is what we do with oral medications, since every medication has side effects...will the outcome and the results > side effects...for me, at this stage in my life as in the past decade, I won't be 100% clear with 0 medications....and that is what I want, I don't want cysts, pimples, scars and my medication history in the past has made me up to 99% clear...

I'm not really sure about what you should do since you have many limitations with your health and I'm not sure how severe your acne is...is it unbearable that you need to be on BCP like most girls taking the pill for acne reasons? Are you willing to go through an initial breakout period to clear up what acne you have now? And also keep in mind, the pill has side effects too, 1 being it raises your blood pressure....think about all these things ! Posted Image

I appreciate you taking the time to respond to my posts. I really do. So i just picked up my tri sprintec pills from the pharmacy today.... DRUM ROLL.... god, they look so generic, its not even funny. It looks I could have picked these up from dollar tree if they had a pharmacy Posted Image did your hair start falling out as a side effect? god im already losing so much hair that it looks like my hairlines receding. I know going on spiro would make my hair shed FAST.

There are so many side effects and i really do need to outweigh the pros and cons... right now i have these two huge pimples that turned into one cyst and one nodule on my right cheek where i already have all these pitted scars. I seriously can't handle it anymore. But than again, i will probably have like a million of those going through the initial breakout. I really don't know what to do. I'm glad that your making these decisions with a strong head. I do hope that everyone going through the IB will clear up sooner than later and that you won't have to resort to going on a different BCP. Posted Image

heres a pic of the BCP. ugh there so ugly...

Attached Thumbnails

• tri sprintec.jpg

#11 betsy91

betsy91

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 December 2011 - 11:00 PM

Just letting you know, we're here to support you: it's hard, you'll probably'll break out but dont give up!

Et Hoe Transit

This too shall pass....

#12 Casablancaa

Casablancaa

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 December 2011 - 12:21 AM

I appreciate you taking the time to respond to my posts. I really do. So i just picked up my tri sprintec pills from the pharmacy today.... DRUM ROLL.... god, they look so generic, its not even funny. It looks I could have picked these up from dollar tree if they had a pharmacy Posted Image did your hair start falling out as a side effect? god im already losing so much hair that it looks like my hairlines receding. I know going on spiro would make my hair shed FAST.

There are so many side effects and i really do need to outweigh the pros and cons... right now i have these two huge pimples that turned into one cyst and one nodule on my right cheek where i already have all these pitted scars. I seriously can't handle it anymore. But than again, i will probably have like a million of those going through the initial breakout. I really don't know what to do. I'm glad that your making these decisions with a strong head. I do hope that everyone going through the IB will clear up sooner than later and that you won't have to resort to going on a different BCP. Posted Image

Haha Daria that's funny, you don't like the packaging of the pill...lol

So you decided you're going to take it then...when do you start?

Oh as for your question....well my hair started really thinning on my 2nd birth control pill (Ortho Novum 1/50). Combination of that + stress + highlighting it way too much........My hair is finally starting to feel thick and normal again after I've been using Moroccon Oil, but I definitely have to worry/stress less because thin hair is so unattractive and the pill can make you lose hair as well if your diet is not good..

Edited by Casablancaa, 30 December 2011 - 12:23 AM.

#13 harleyquinn1801

harleyquinn1801

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 December 2011 - 01:41 AM

Just letting you know, we're here to support you: it's hard, you'll probably'll break out but dont give up!

Thank you betsy! I still haven't decided if I'm going to go on it or not but I did pick up the pills today so they'll be sitting on my dresser until I decide to take them or until I get my next period which should be in two weeks if I'm not late again.

#14 betsy91

betsy91

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 December 2011 - 04:05 PM

The sooner the better honestly! You want time to be past you asap with the pills. That way by at least spring you'll be somewhat normal

Et Hoe Transit

This too shall pass....

#15 Casablancaa

Casablancaa

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 December 2011 - 06:18 PM

The sooner the better honestly! You want time to be past you asap with the pills. That way by at least spring you'll be somewhat normal

I definitely agree with that. I haven't missed taking a pill so much as one day with tri sprintec because I just want to hurry along the initial breakout process, with my previous pills I was skipping days every week that one pack turned into 1.5 months...I kind of wish I started it earlier, like right after I stopped my other brand in the summer, there was no reason to wait 4 months..

#16 harleyquinn1801

harleyquinn1801

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 January 2012 - 10:41 AM

So I've thought long and hard about it..... I won't be starting the birth control. This month at least...

I am going to try and go back to the acne clinic I first went to to see if I can get my skin under control again with topical products as well as going back to my diet and incorporating exercise. Ever since Thanksgiving, I've been eating like crap again. I gave myself the "its ok, the holidays only come around once a year crap." fast forward to today, here I am still gorging myself. I mean im making better choices but I haven't been sticking to the diet i was doing in the fall and the summer.

I'm also really trying to exercise more often and get my blood flowing and circulating. I know that I do feel better after exercising especially on the days my depression takes over, I literally force myself to get active.

If I do start to break out again in cysts and nodules, than I'm for sure going to go on birth control. Right now, i have like 2 nodules and the other ones have died down cuz I've been icing my face longer at night.

To betsy and casablanca, IDK if you guys do it already but please please please ice your face!! Also to anyone else reading my log, icing your face has a lot of benefits. Especially when your having initial breakouts that are angry, red and inflamed, the icing will definitely calm it down. Just take two ice cubes and rub it all over your face til they're melted away. or you can fill a dixie cup (bathroom cups) with water and freeze it. (i find ice cubes are easier cuz they're always in the freezer)

#17 Casablancaa

Casablancaa

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 January 2012 - 03:45 PM

So I've thought long and hard about it..... I won't be starting the birth control. This month at least...

I am going to try and go back to the acne clinic I first went to to see if I can get my skin under control again with topical products as well as going back to my diet and incorporating exercise. Ever since Thanksgiving, I've been eating like crap again. I gave myself the "its ok, the holidays only come around once a year crap." fast forward to today, here I am still gorging myself. I mean im making better choices but I haven't been sticking to the diet i was doing in the fall and the summer.

I'm also really trying to exercise more often and get my blood flowing and circulating. I know that I do feel better after exercising especially on the days my depression takes over, I literally force myself to get active.

If I do start to break out again in cysts and nodules, than I'm for sure going to go on birth control. Right now, i have like 2 nodules and the other ones have died down cuz I've been icing my face longer at night.

It sounds like your skin is doing good Daria. I'm sure you can control it with topicals? What are you currently using on your face?

And good for you for the exercise/healthy diet resolution....I think that those two things are really really important in making you feel and look your best.

Edited by Casablancaa, 08 January 2012 - 04:09 PM.

#18 harleyquinn1801

harleyquinn1801

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 January 2012 - 02:00 AM

It sounds like your skin is doing good Daria. I'm sure you can control it with topicals? What are you currently using on your face?

And good for you for the exercise/healthy diet resolution....I think that those two things are really really important in making you feel and look your best.

Right now im just using a gentle facewash from the acne clinic i went to. Topical wise, i use a mandelic acid toner from Vivant during the day and Benzoyl peroxide 5% at night. I also use a gentle scrub twice a week.

I think what's really helped me was avoiding the common foods/liquids that aggravate acne. I avoid peanuts and shellfish. I also do not consume dairy such as ice cream and milk. As a treat though once in a while, I'll have a scoop of ice cream or a candy bar that has dairy. I also don't drink soymilk or eat tofu. I will have soy sauce though cuz I'm part asian and can't really avoid it. I also try to stick to only olive oil/coconut oil.

I find the one that's hard for me to stop consuming is wheat. I tried really hard to avoid wheat and be gluten free but it was impossible for me. I have cut down my wheat intake though which I applause myself because I love it.

Doing that as well as icing my face twice a day has lessened the breakouts. I do still have acne though especially the non-inflamed ones so I'm not at all clear, I just dont have as much inflamed ones like I used to.

Oh and by the way, Im supposed to be getting my period soon on Jan 11. (if its not late this time) and I'm breaking out on my mustache area in all these little inflamed red pimples. I have like 4 and I have a few inflamed ones on my forehead as well as 2 big ones on my left cheek.... HORMONES!!! How i HATE you!!!