#21 Omnivium

Omnivium

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Oily skin.

Achievements

Posted 02 January 2012 - 06:13 PM

Just wondering, when you started your log, did you change anything, or are you just writing everything you do?

You could try supplements like zinc or taurine, or you could change your diet by avoiding things like pie and soda.

#22 Peony7

Peony7

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 9
About Me
  • Interests:Music, cats, fashion, making clothes, makeup, Twin Peaks, Dr Who, video games

Posted 04 January 2012 - 06:04 PM

Just wondering, when you started your log, did you change anything, or are you just writing everything you do?

You could try supplements like zinc or taurine, or you could change your diet by avoiding things like pie and soda.

Hiya, at the moment its kind of a bit of both. I have cupboards and fridge/freezer full of foods that I need to work through first and also I am still spending time at other peoples houses so whatever I get given there is what I get! Once I have gone through all that food my plan is no processed foods, no sugar except for 'treats', no sodas, little alcohol. Since I started the log I have reduced then completely stopped eating bread, started drinking peppermint tea and increased the 'dosage' and cut down then removed the white sugar from my tea. I started using the Avene moisturiser which is pretty good. Also haven't been eating the usual sugary cereals for breakfast. My normal diet would have been dominated by sugary tea, sugary cereals and toast, so although my diet still looks pretty bad it has improved from what it was! Basically I am trying to replicate a diet I had when I was approx 12 and my skin cleared up.

I am not sure about whether I will add bread back in yet - but it was good to just get it out of my diet for a bit. Also I am not sure about dairy - but possibly may remove this as a trial but I will need the rest of my diet under control first.

As for supplements I am thinking zinc is probably one of the best but at the moment I am waiting on an appointment re hormones/blood sugars and I am reluctant to change too much that might alter things for the better until I have had this done! Once I've had that done then the diet changes can continue.

Also, there are a few other holistic changes I need to make - like my bad sleeping and my habit of listening to music late at night lol

#23 Peony7

Peony7

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Music, cats, fashion, making clothes, makeup, Twin Peaks, Dr Who, video games

Posted 04 January 2012 - 06:40 PM

Hi guys,

yesterday's log:

Food
Breakfast - porridge (oats, semi-skimmed milk, 1 clementine), 2 peppermint teas
Lunch - canned mackerel in herby tomato sauce with butter beans, 2 peppermint teas
Snack - choc chip cookies, 1 glass of pepsi,
Dinner - beef mince, chopped tomatoes, carrots, white onion, peas, sweetcorn, mushrooms, beef stock, Black Forest ham, basil, black pepper, salt, pepper
Tea - 3 glasses of 7-up, Swiss chocolates
Acne skincare
AM - Washed with oats and warm water, I didn't use a moisturiser to test how moisturised this would leave my skin - was pretty good
PM - Washed with oats and warm water, Avene, Sudocrem
Sleep
Went to bed at 02:00 last night, woke up at 08:00

Exercise
None
General Skin Care
orange shower gel
Make-up/Misc
None

General Health
Pain in right leg and pelvis, really disturbed sleep
Supplement
1 multivit, 3 Evening Primrose Oil caps

Comments
  • The jawline acne has started to go down already, this is pretty typical of the monthly acne I get which can be very inflamed but will also start to reduce pretty quickly.
  • Started taking EPO to see if this helps, not previously taken this before
  • Been doing a bit of research on pcos and insulin problems - might have to test removing dairy to see if this makes a difference.

Hi guys,

Today's log:

Food
Breakfast - scrambled eggs, salt, pepper, stilton, tortillas, tomato salsa, Gala apple, 2 peppermint teas, 1 mug of black tea with milk
Lunch - cooked ham, stilton, tomato salsa, 1 mug of black tea with milk
Snack - Swiss chocolates, 2 peppermint teas, 1 glass of 7-up
Dinner - beef mince, chopped tomatoes, carrots, white onion, peas, sweetcorn, mushrooms, beef stock, Black Forest ham, basil, black pepper, salt, pepper, 1 mug of water
Acne skincare
AM - Washed with oats and warm water
Sleep
Went to bed at 01:00 last night, woke up at 07:30

Exercise
None
General Skin Care
orange shower gel
Make-up/Misc
None

General Health
Pain in right leg

Supplement

Comments
  • the inflamed acne on jawline is continuing to go down
  • No problems so far with the EPO

Edited by Peony7, 04 January 2012 - 06:32 PM.

#24 Omnivium

Omnivium

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:40 PM

Hiya, at the moment its kind of a bit of both. I have cupboards and fridge/freezer full of foods that I need to work through first and also I am still spending time at other peoples houses so whatever I get given there is what I get! Once I have gone through all that food my plan is no processed foods, no sugar except for 'treats', no sodas, little alcohol. Since I started the log I have reduced then completely stopped eating bread, started drinking peppermint tea and increased the 'dosage' and cut down then removed the white sugar from my tea. I started using the Avene moisturiser which is pretty good. Also haven't been eating the usual sugary cereals for breakfast. My normal diet would have been dominated by sugary tea, sugary cereals and toast, so although my diet still looks pretty bad it has improved from what it was! Basically I am trying to replicate a diet I had when I was approx 12 and my skin cleared up.

Oh ok, it was just kind of hard to notice any changes when you write so many things. Keep up the good work!

I also reduced my gluten and dairy, but that didn't help. I might have to eliminate one of them to see results.

Yeah zinc is the best. I would definitely recommend it after your appointment.

#25 Peony7

Peony7

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 January 2012 - 04:43 PM

Sorry - I write long posts!! I am probably going to go back and edit some of the earlier ones to make them easier to read. I think dairy is probably easier to remove than gluten so am going to try that first.

#26 Peony7

Peony7

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 January 2012 - 04:58 PM

Hi guys,

Food
Breakfast - porridge (oats, semi-skimmed milk, 1 clementine), 1 mug of black tea with milk
Lunch - Potato wedges, paprika, mayonnaise, sliced cooked ham, 2 peppermint teas
Dinner - Noodles, carrots, peas, sweetcorn, mushrooms, white onion, sesame oil, soy sauce
Tea - Swiss chocolates, 2 mugs of water
Acne skincare
AM - Agera scrub
Sleep
Went to bed at 02:30 last night, woke up at 09:30

Exercise
None
General Skin Care
orange shower gel
Make-up/Misc
None

General Health
Much better!

Supplement

Comments
  • Skin is feeling really smooth from the scrub this morning
  • Still using the oats - need to test whether it would be able to remove foundation
  • I looked up GI of different foods and found wholemeal pitta is medium, so am thinking this is a good alternative to the usual loaf; also I like wholemeal chappattis and I think they must be similar GI to wholemeal pitta? Couldn't find GI for them.

#27 Peony7

Peony7

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 January 2012 - 03:50 PM

Hi guys,

took a break from my log due to feeling unwell, but it did give me a chance to do a bit of reading around insulin and sugars/different foods. I know a lot more now about hormones and foods so once I have emptied my cupboards of the bad stuff this should help with planning meals. Also am pretty sure I have a problem with my progesterone, and this then upsets the balance of my other hormones, and thus causes acne. Also, since I need to get my sleeping in check I am going to post the day after from now on, so that I am not up late posting/researching acne!

#28 Tunnelvisionary

Tunnelvisionary

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6
About Me
  • Interests:AIN'T NOTHIN GONNA BREAK MY STRIDE. AIN'T NOTHIN GONNA SLOW ME DOWN.

Posted 11 January 2012 - 03:59 PM

Haha, I had that same problem of researching late into the night eating crappy foods. Frustrating, yet rewarding in the long run :)

#29 Peony7

Peony7

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 January 2012 - 12:40 PM

Haha, I had that same problem of researching late into the night eating crappy foods. Frustrating, yet rewarding in the long run Posted Image

Haha, yeah once I started researching I kind of had a 'lightbulb' moment and spent a lot of nights on the net, now I understand things better and I cringe each time I have the crappy foods lol

Btw your log is interesting reading for me

#30 Peony7

Peony7

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 January 2012 - 01:06 PM

Hi guys,

Yesterdays Log

Food

Breakfast - porridge (oats, semi-skimmed milk), 2 mugs of black tea with milk, an apple and a clementine
Lunch - scrambled eggs, table salt, ground pepper, ground chili, sprinkling of sesame seeds, 1 teacup of red tea
Dinner - Lentil soup (red lentils, chopped tomatoes, ground coriander, ground chili, tomato puree, carrots, celery, vegetable stock, sunflower oil, table salt, ground pepper)
I also randomly had a couple of slices of pastrami, two glasses of water and some sweets

Acne skincare
AM - Simple cleanser
PM - Simple cleanser, Avene, Sudocrem

Sleep
Went to bed at 01:00, woke up at 07:00

Exercise
None

General Skin Care
orange shower gel, aloe lip therapy

Make-up/Misc
None

General Health
Ok

Supplement
1 multivit

Comments
  • My skin is slightly drier, acne less inflamed
  • Sleeping is slowly getting better, my aim is to bring it back to 10pm.
  • Still got plenty of 'bad foods' to keep me going. I tried to palm them off on my partner but he has decided to cut out bread and sugar as well lol

#31 Tunnelvisionary

Tunnelvisionary

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:AIN'T NOTHIN GONNA BREAK MY STRIDE. AIN'T NOTHIN GONNA SLOW ME DOWN.

Posted 12 January 2012 - 03:28 PM

Haha, I had that same problem of researching late into the night eating crappy foods. Frustrating, yet rewarding in the long run Posted Image

Haha, yeah once I started researching I kind of had a 'lightbulb' moment and spent a lot of nights on the net, now I understand things better and I cringe each time I have the crappy foods lol

Btw your log is interesting reading for me

Glad you like my log, and glad you're becoming enlightened :)

It's quite awesome and encouraging seeing other people progress with this.

#32 Peony7

Peony7

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 January 2012 - 11:15 AM

Hi guys,

yesterdays log

Food

Breakfast - porridge (one of those processed ones - oats, semi-skimmed milk, sugar, 'natural flavouring' - don't know wth that is they didn't specify), 1 mug of black tea with milk, some shop-bought stewed apple - Bramley apples, sugar, preservatives), 1 mug of Earl Grey tea

Lunch - Sliced corned beef (can't remember all the ingredients in this but the usual beef, salt, etc), an apple, 1 mug of red tea, 1 mug of jasmine tea

Dinner - Lentil soup (red lentils, chopped tomatoes, ground coriander, ground chili, tomato puree, carrots, celery, vegetable stock, sunflower oil, table salt, ground pepper)

I also had a couple of slices of pastrami, 1 glass of water, some sweets and 2 clementines.

Acne skincare
AM - Plain warm water with muslin
PM - As above

Sleep
Went to bed at 01:30, woke up at 08:00

Exercise
None

General Skin Care

Make-up/Misc
None

General Health
Ok

Supplement
1 multivit

Comments
  • I noticed I had itchy skin last night, possibly after eating the clementines, but could also have been the sugar? I will probably be able to pinpoint this better when the sugar in my diet is reduced
  • Also am pretty sure that the over-consumption of sugar makes my skin more greasy

#33 Peony7

Peony7

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 January 2012 - 12:48 PM

Hi guys,

yesterdays log

Food

Breakfast - an apple, a clementine, 1 mug of black tea with milk, 1 mug of jasmine tea

Lunch - 1 mug of red tea, two frankfurters, 2 slices white bread

Dinner - two frankfurters, 2 slices of white bread, 1 glass of water

Snacks - handful of almonds

Acne skincare
AM - Simple cleanser with muslin
PM - As above

Sleep
Went to bed at 01:00, woke up at 07:00

Exercise
None

General Skin Care

Make-up/Misc
None

General Health
Ache in right leg

Supplement
1 multivit

Comments
  • Really bad day for food

#34 Peony7

Peony7

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 January 2012 - 04:53 PM

Hi guys,

yesterdays log

Food

Breakfast - Scrambled eggs (2 eggs, table salt, ground pepper, 2 button mushrooms, sunflower oil), 2 black teas with milk, 1 clementine

Lunch - 1 frankfurter, 1 slice white bread, 1 Jasmine tea, handful of almonds

Dinner - Chicken roasted with sunflower oil, garlic and potatoes, carrots, cauliflower and broccoli boiled, gravy (Bisto), 1 glass of water, 1/2 a can of cider

Tea - lots more chicken and potatoes leftover from dinner

Acne skincare
AM - Simple cleanser with muslin PM - As above

Sleep
Went to bed at 02:00, woke up at 08:50

Exercise
None

General Skin Care
A new soap I got for Xmas - so no sls, aloe lip therapy

Make-up/Misc
None

General Health
ache in right leg has returned

Supplement
None

Comments
  • That's the last of the sunflower oil - not planning to buy any more
  • That's the last of the clementines - going to avoid them for a bit to see if it helps
  • That's the last of the pork - going to stay away from this for a bit to see of it helps
  • Shower gel finished so started using a new soap and planning to use trad soap instead of liquid for body from now on because no sls
  • I ate more than my husband again - by eating more chicken and potatoes in the evening - still need to look at healthier snacks/frequent smaller meals and to stop 'over-eating'

#35 Peony7

Peony7

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 January 2012 - 06:57 PM

Hi guys,

Todays log

Food

Breakfast - 2 black teas with milk, chicken leftover from yesterdays dinner

Dinner - Pizza Hut pizza - I think I ate the equivalent of one large pizza (pepperoni/ham/onion/pineapple plus the usual ingredients), 1 creme egg (sugar, chocolate etc) and 1 glass of diet Pepsi

Tea - More chicken leftover from yesterday with some boiled veg - cauliflower and carrots, 2 black teas with milk, handful of almonds, 2 valerian teas, 1/2 teaspoon of black cherry jam (black cherries, unsweetened grape juice, lemon juice, pectin)

Acne skincare
AM - Simple cleanser/muslin, TT moist, Sudocrem PM - Simple cleanser/muslin, Avene, Sudocrem

Sleep
Went to bed at 02:10, woke up at 10:00

Exercise
None

General Skin Care
My new soap, aloe lip therapy, Norweg formula

Make-up/Misc
Rimmel powder, j'adore

General Health
OK

Supplement
None

Comments
  • I found the jam in my cupboard - it is an old fashioned recipe that doesn't use sugar, just some unsweetened juice. You can tell it doesn't have sugar in it - and it tasted really good better than regular jam - so maybe I am getting used to having more taste, less sugar.
  • I measured myself and worked out my waist to hip ratio of 0.7 - which is in the healthy range.
  • I found my Liz Earle book in the loft which is a good reference of meals that don't contain wheat/sugar and lower GI etc Also she references studies in the '60s relating to sugar and worsening of acne. So I might try and track these down

Edited by Peony7, 02 February 2012 - 01:31 PM.

#36 Omnivium

Omnivium

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 15 January 2012 - 09:41 PM

You could just say that you are "eating healthy" instead of "on a diet" or something like that. I am really skinny too and whenever I avoid bad foods I just tell my friends that I'm trying to be healthy and that pizza is really bad for you. I just say it in a way that doesn't imply that I would want to lose weight.

And how did you eat an entire large pizza lol? I can only eat 5 slices at the most.

#37 Tunnelvisionary

Tunnelvisionary

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 January 2012 - 10:52 PM

You could just say that you are "eating healthy" instead of "on a diet" or something like that. I am really skinny too and whenever I avoid bad foods I just tell my friends that I'm trying to be healthy and that pizza is really bad for you. I just say it in a way that doesn't imply that I would want to lose weight.

And how did you eat an entire large pizza lol? I can only eat 5 slices at the most.

Haha really man? I'm little too, but I can down an entire pizza :P

#38 Peony7

Peony7

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 January 2012 - 04:15 PM

lol well when I wrote that yesterday I thought to myself I haven't eaten much today! I saw my GP today and she agreed that I seem to eat a lot considering what I weigh so one of the checks they are going to do is for thyroid function. Have you had anything like this checked?

#39 Peony7

Peony7

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 January 2012 - 04:43 PM

Hi guys,

Todays log

Food

Breakfast - 2 black teas with milk, leftover chicken with carrots

Lunch - porridge (oats, semi skimmed milk)

Dinner - chicken soup (chicken, sweetcorn, stock, carrots, white onion, celery, potatoes, bay, cornflour, sea salt, pepper, noodles)

Tea - handful of almonds, 1 peppermint tea, 2 valerian teas, rice krispies with semi skimmed milk

Acne skincare
AM - Simple cleanser/muslin PM - Simple cleanser/muslin, Avene, Sudocrem

Sleep
Went to bed at 01:10, woke up at 07:00

Exercise
None

General Skin Care
soap, aloe lip therapy, Norweg formula

Make-up/Misc
None

General Health
OK

Supplement
None

Comments
  • Saw my GP today they want to check for hormones - FSH, LH, mid-luteal progesterone, testosterone, DHEA, SHBG and prolactin.
  • Also for - full blood count, urea and electrolytes, liver function, thyroid function, and random glucose.
  • My skin was really matte this morning
  • Ate the last of the rice krispies today, not buying any more sweet cereals

Edited by Peony7, 16 January 2012 - 04:44 PM.

#40 Omnivium

Omnivium

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 16 January 2012 - 07:33 PM

lol well when I wrote that yesterday I thought to myself I haven't eaten much today! I saw my GP today and she agreed that I seem to eat a lot considering what I weigh so one of the checks they are going to do is for thyroid function. Have you had anything like this checked?

Nope. After the retardedness of dermatologists I was kind of discouraged to see any doctor. It might be a good idea to get some things checked though...