Photo

People Think I'm A Drug User Because I Have Acne

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

#1 LiveLaughFart

LiveLaughFart

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Achievements

Posted 21 December 2011 - 01:05 AM

The other day my dad asked why my face was "freaking out" and I said I don't know then he asked if i was using drugs. I rolled my eyes. This isn't the first time that's happened. Common characteristics associated with people that have acne are, "trashy", "dirty". When I walk into a shop like hollister the people said loud and clear "girlies we gonna need to watch this trashy chick, she looks like she gonna steal some merchandise"...those exact words were not said but it's just my exaguration of how they acted.

It's funny because I eat extremely healthy to the point where I cut out certain vegetables from my diet. It makes me so angry.

People with clear, flawless skin are seen with positive characteristics like being "sweet", or "nice"..so when people first meet them, that's what goes through their mind and they automatically trust them even though they don't know anything about them and they could just as well be the devil but, noooo, they have flawless and perfect skin so they ofcoarse can do no wrong.
>:-(

IT'S NOT FAIR THAT I HAVE BAD SKIN. I'M A GOOD PERSON, I would never do anything wrong or hurt anyone but NO, I have to have people assuming I'm dirty, use drugs, and steal, and lie, I wish I had an innocent look with perfect flawless skin so people would think I could do no wrong, then I teach them a lesson by lieing about everything so when they find out I lied about everything about myself, they can learn to not judge a book by it's cover.

But it's human nature to judge someone by their appearance, I just got unlucky by having a bad appearance :(

Just wanted to share how some people view people that have acne, or should I say MOST people. Acne has negetative associations :/

#2 Tyga

Tyga

H!&H

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 December 2011 - 01:52 AM

Over 90% of the United States population deals with a form of acne at some point in their lives. You would think we would be more understanding and realize that acne is not a result of bad hygiene or heavy drug usage. Your genetic and hormones play a large role in determining how severe your acne can be. People are assholes, but nothing surprising about that statement.

#3 Endurability

Endurability

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 December 2011 - 02:04 AM

The other day my dad asked why my face was "freaking out" and I said I don't know then he asked if i was using drugs. I rolled my eyes. This isn't the first time that's happened. Common characteristics associated with people that have acne are, "trashy", "dirty". When I walk into a shop like hollister the people said loud and clear "girlies we gonna need to watch this trashy chick, she looks like she gonna steal some merchandise"...those exact words were not said but it's just my exaguration of how they acted.

It's funny because I eat extremely healthy to the point where I cut out certain vegetables from my diet. It makes me so angry.

People with clear, flawless skin are seen with positive characteristics like being "sweet", or "nice"..so when people first meet them, that's what goes through their mind and they automatically trust them even though they don't know anything about them and they could just as well be the devil but, noooo, they have flawless and perfect skin so they ofcoarse can do no wrong.
>Posted Image(

IT'S NOT FAIR THAT I HAVE BAD SKIN. I'M A GOOD PERSON, I would never do anything wrong or hurt anyone but NO, I have to have people assuming I'm dirty, use drugs, and steal, and lie, I wish I had an innocent look with perfect flawless skin so people would think I could do no wrong, then I teach them a lesson by lieing about everything so when they find out I lied about everything about myself, they can learn to not judge a book by it's cover.

But it's human nature to judge someone by their appearance, I just got unlucky by having a bad appearance Posted Image

Just wanted to share how some people view people that have acne, or should I say MOST people. Acne has negetative associations :/

This reminds me of when my mom thought I was smoking when she thought the dust on the floor were ashes.

#4 PaulH85

PaulH85

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 11
About Me

Posted 21 December 2011 - 06:12 AM

I remember when I used to break out a lot around my mouth between the age of 15 and 17. My parents were often asking me if I were doing drugs. I've never done drugs or even smoked in my life, have no intension of doing so, so I couldn't help but be at least a little offended. Of course, the more you protest, the more people think you have something to hide, so you can't win. :rolleyes:

A few years ago, I was approached by a casting director in a bar who happened to be looking for extras for a film he was working on. He said that I stood out to him because of my "bad skin and really thin buid" and that they would consider me if I wanted to audition for the role of a heroin addict. :(

#5 legato

legato

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 21 December 2011 - 06:26 AM

A few years ago, I was approached by a casting director in a bar who happened to be looking for extras for a film he was working on. He said that I stood out to him because of my "bad skin and really thin buid" and that they would consider me if I wanted to audition for the role of a heroin addict. Posted Image

you should have done it! if you can make a buck with your acne at least that'll be 1 tiny reason for it to exist ^^

#6 LiveLaughFart

LiveLaughFart

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 21 December 2011 - 03:05 PM

I remember when I used to break out a lot around my mouth between the age of 15 and 17. My parents were often asking me if I were doing drugs. I've never done drugs or even smoked in my life, have no intension of doing so, so I couldn't help but be at least a little offended. Of course, the more you protest, the more people think you have something to hide, so you can't win. Posted Image

A few years ago, I was approached by a casting director in a bar who happened to be looking for extras for a film he was working on. He said that I stood out to him because of my "bad skin and really thin buid" and that they would consider me if I wanted to audition for the role of a heroin addict. Posted Image

wow I hate the fact that people associate bad skin with drug problems...it makes me hate the fact that I have bad skin even more. It also makes me want to get clear skin even moreee. I remember reading that happened to you a while back and I feel so bad, I would not do it just for the sake of keeping my dignity and pride in who I really am.

#7 PaulH85

PaulH85

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 11
About Me

Posted 21 December 2011 - 03:45 PM

Posted Image Yeah, I probably have mentioned that a couple of times. This kind of topic seems to come up now and then. I guess it's interesting that a lot of people seem to jump to the same crazy and narrow-minded conclusions. No idea where that comes from, given that it's all totally wrong. Posted Image

I can laugh about that casting director situation now because it seems so stupid in a way. I remember that on that particular night, I was feeling alright about my skin. I must have been because I was out at a bar watching a band, whereas I would have stayed at home if my skin was bad. It upset me because I was feeling good and then this guy came and shot me down. Often seems to go that way - that there's always someone on hand to point something out when we're feeling alright and trying to enjoy things.

You could always look upon the situation you mentioned as something else to add to the list of things which motivate you to clear your skin, like you said. That's cool. Rather than than being defeated by it, channeling that negativity from others and turning it into something positive for yourself. I like that approach. Posted Image

Edited by PaulH85, 21 December 2011 - 03:45 PM.

#8 hotburrito

hotburrito

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 December 2011 - 03:57 PM

...are you sure you're not just being paranoid? I mean, the paranoia is totally understandable given your dad's really offensive and ignorant statements, but I've never had anybody treat me like I was "trashy" or actually dirty because of my acne. Most people just coo pityingly at me and go "oh my god, that's so sad, you used to be so pretty!" (Which... thanks.)

Strangers basically just treat me like they always have. Except I think they do more of a double-take when they see me first, but this is completely understandable given that I look pretty pathetic. I walk into stores and SAs still come up to me acting super friendly and trying to make a sale just like they always have though. I feel like people are probably thinking some passing "mean" thoughts inside their heads, but most remain polite in their actual interactions.

#9 Kara =)

Kara =)

Pepperoni face

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 21 December 2011 - 04:21 PM

i hate it when people think that you are dirty because you have acne! this monster girl i know keeps saying stuff to me like "you should wash your face, its gross!" i hate her. everyone does. she actually goes around to everybody and points out their flaws! the other day she told one of my friends that she needs braces! shes so rude and not even a bit classy.

#10 LiveLaughFart

LiveLaughFart

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 21 December 2011 - 06:56 PM

Posted Image Yeah, I probably have mentioned that a couple of times. This kind of topic seems to come up now and then. I guess it's interesting that a lot of people seem to jump to the same crazy and narrow-minded conclusions. No idea where that comes from, given that it's all totally wrong. Posted Image

I can laugh about that casting director situation now because it seems so stupid in a way. I remember that on that particular night, I was feeling alright about my skin. I must have been because I was out at a bar watching a band, whereas I would have stayed at home if my skin was bad. It upset me because I was feeling good and then this guy came and shot me down. Often seems to go that way - that there's always someone on hand to point something out when we're feeling alright and trying to enjoy things.

You could always look upon the situation you mentioned as something else to add to the list of things which motivate you to clear your skin, like you said. That's cool. Rather than than being defeated by it, channeling that negativity from others and turning it into something positive for yourself. I like that approach. Posted Image

You can say that again. I remember when my skin was completely clear after 2 months of dieting earlier this year and I went to the doctor because I got a cold and she just HAD to say something about my "acne" and say "You should start eating fish, it would clear up your acne" as she pointed to he cheeks. The sad thing about it was that at that time I had not one pimple, clogged pore, or blackhead on my face at all...just red marks. I felt so good about my skin but after that meeting with her she really brought my spirits down to think that people actually see me as having acne even though it got clear.

It does help me want to improve my acne though and my skin, so far it's been about a week of no grains, dairy, wheat, refined sugar, starch, midnight veggies, root veggies, and eating organic chicken daily. :) I have only the people that brought me down to motivate me, and that is a lottttttttttt of people haha

...are you sure you're not just being paranoid? I mean, the paranoia is totally understandable given your dad's really offensive and ignorant statements, but I've never had anybody treat me like I was "trashy" or actually dirty because of my acne. Most people just coo pityingly at me and go "oh my god, that's so sad, you used to be so pretty!" (Which... thanks.)

Strangers basically just treat me like they always have. Except I think they do more of a double-take when they see me first, but this is completely understandable given that I look pretty pathetic. I walk into stores and SAs still come up to me acting super friendly and trying to make a sale just like they always have though. I feel like people are probably thinking some passing "mean" thoughts inside their heads, but most remain polite in their actual interactions.

I might be paranoid but I know having bad skin makes me look trashy.
And that is literally the worst thing someone can say to someone with acne. I had a similar thing happen where I drew a picture of myself and this guy asked who the picture was and I said "me" then he laughed really loud and said "you made your self pretty hahahaha You aren't pretty". Then he walked away. It hurt me so bad to hear that.

#11 hotburrito

hotburrito

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 December 2011 - 07:45 PM

I might be paranoid but I know having bad skin makes me look trashy.
And that is literally the worst thing someone can say to someone with acne. I had a similar thing happen where I drew a picture of myself and this guy asked who the picture was and I said "me" then he laughed really loud and said "you made your self pretty hahahaha You aren't pretty". Then he walked away. It hurt me so bad to hear that.

Perhaps it's a regional thing. I've never seen anybody with bad skin and automatically thought "trashy" - that's a judgement I usually reserve for... well, particularly questionably-dressed or foul-mouthed people.

That guy was a douchebag, how did you not throw something in his face.

As for being told that you're not/no longer pretty being the worst thing somebody can say to a person with acne - I guess we differ on that front. It's taken me a while, but for now at least I can just shrug and go "okay, I was pretty before and that was fun while it lasted. Now I'm not and I'm still totally okay." The end. There is much more to life than simply being physically attractive.

#12 LiveLaughFart

LiveLaughFart

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 21 December 2011 - 09:00 PM

I totally agree, theres so much more to life than looks but everytime I look in the mirror I can't help the fact that I automatically feel depressed and don't want to live life..it happens everytime I look at my skin in my bedroom mirror at night with the light bulbs highlighting the scars...it just makes me depressed and I cant control it, it makes me so mad that I fall asleep crying.

Even when I'm driving in my car and I think about what it would be like to wear short sleeves, and I just cringe (I have bad skin on my arms too)...it's the worst feeling ever and I can't control it, it takes over my life

#13 colostomus

colostomus

skydive ur problems away

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 December 2011 - 09:12 PM

>Posted Image(

But it's human nature to judge someone by their appearance, I just got unlucky by having a bad appearance Posted Image

i agree, but only to a point, i do think people find it eaiser to talk to someone with clear skin, but my theory is that the reason they look like theyre treating people with acne differently is because they instantly get tense that they might say something that might upset the person with acne, cuz they have no reason to think that people with noticable acne can be so comfortable with non-acne'd (?) ppl. if two clear skinned ppl are talking to each other they dont have to think past 'oh its a person,' cuz nothing's noticable you know.....

its definitely depressing sometimes, but ive never really noticed if my character might have been judged because my face is so imperfect, however if ive got a bad breakout and i cant keep it off of my mind, it shows on my face (literally and figuratively), so i can see that people look at me differently, but i think its just cuz they know im feeling bad, and i KNOW ive got zits so they dont wanna sound insensitive and they talk differently to me.

On the other hand, yeah ull find some b*tches and Ass*oles who will try to make their insecurities sound less obvious by pointing out your superficial faults, gotta learn to deal with it, i suggest violence

#14 hotburrito

hotburrito

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 December 2011 - 12:06 AM

I totally agree, theres so much more to life than looks but everytime I look in the mirror I can't help the fact that I automatically feel depressed and don't want to live life..it happens everytime I look at my skin in my bedroom mirror at night with the light bulbs highlighting the scars...it just makes me depressed and I cant control it, it makes me so mad that I fall asleep crying.

Even when I'm driving in my car and I think about what it would be like to wear short sleeves, and I just cringe (I have bad skin on my arms too)...it's the worst feeling ever and I can't control it, it takes over my life

This on the other hand I can understand completely Posted Image I'm sorry. I feel the same way. 90% of the time I force myself to be positive, but holy fuck staying positive is exhausting sometimes. I'm no longer as depressed as I was on Accutane, but I still spend a lot of time just crying myself to sleep and then feeling even more awful about it because I hate that I'm such a shallow/insecure/superficial person deep down after all.

Edited by hotburrito, 22 December 2011 - 12:07 AM.

#15 SkyLynn

SkyLynn

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 December 2011 - 01:21 AM

This is funny to me because most of my work has been in prison settings and currently at a treatment program for parolees. Honestly, alot of people on drugs have nice skin lol.... Depending on the drug, the abuser does the damage on their own by picking, lack of hygiene, dehydration, malnutrition. If anyone else has worked with this population as a career they can tell you. Alot of people in prison have beautiful, flawless skin. I don't know if its because their diet, exercise regime, not using products on their skin (less is more), less stress compared to us who struggle in society. I wish I knew. But drugs do definitely age people and make them look like crap, but anyone with sense can tell a tweeker apart from a person with acne. And giiirll let me tell you if I would ever walk in a store and I hear something like that, they will have problems! Lol I am ghetto, probably why I do not shop there, and I doubt they make anything that will fit me lol... Next tome you go in there you ask them if they are following you and if there's a problem! And pop yo neck, chicken head style, with an attitude LOL!

#16 LiveLaughFart

LiveLaughFart

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 22 December 2011 - 03:18 AM

This is funny to me because most of my work has been in prison settings and currently at a treatment program for parolees. Honestly, alot of people on drugs have nice skin lol.... Depending on the drug, the abuser does the damage on their own by picking, lack of hygiene, dehydration, malnutrition. If anyone else has worked with this population as a career they can tell you. Alot of people in prison have beautiful, flawless skin. I don't know if its because their diet, exercise regime, not using products on their skin (less is more), less stress compared to us who struggle in society. I wish I knew. But drugs do definitely age people and make them look like crap, but anyone with sense can tell a tweeker apart from a person with acne. And giiirll let me tell you if I would ever walk in a store and I hear something like that, they will have problems! Lol I am ghetto, probably why I do not shop there, and I doubt they make anything that will fit me lol... Next tome you go in there you ask them if they are following you and if there's a problem! And pop yo neck, chicken head style, with an attitude LOL!

Lol I wanted so bad to just say "excuse me, can I please shop in peace without you eyeing me down", they literally were poking their heads out at me while I was trying to look for new shorts...on the way out I shouldaa said "seee I didn't steel anything moronsss". while I flapped my hollister bag up in the air. They are so snobby in hollister too, and they all talk like they are a dyeing cow.

That is really interesting though, I watched this show on tv about female prison mates and they had perfect skin.
People that are addicted to drugs usually have huge red spots on their skin, not clusters of red marks..

#17 SkyLynn

SkyLynn

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 December 2011 - 10:46 AM

Lol I wanted so bad to just say "excuse me, can I please shop in peace without you eyeing me down", they literally were poking their heads out at me while I was trying to look for new shorts...on the way out I shouldaa said "seee I didn't steel anything moronsss". while I flapped my hollister bag up in the air. They are so snobby in hollister too, and they all talk like they are a dyeing cow.

That is really interesting though, I watched this show on tv about female prison mates and they had perfect skin.
People that are addicted to drugs usually have huge red spots on their skin, not clusters of red marks..

Yes! Don't you ever let something like that happen to you again. If they make you feel so terrible like that, say something! Its one of those situations where if we don't say anything we end angry at ourselves for not saying anything. Call or email their corporate office. Ooohhhhh girl if I was your friend you would worry about taking me anywhere and someone acting outta line lol. Maybe thats why I could never get a job in customer service when I was young, I am just too mean hahaha

Live your life like your name! You live it up and do it big! Laugh like you have no sense! And fart or your stomach gonna hurt lol..... Aren't you on Accutane too? I know I have read your thread but I can't remember.

#18 LiveLaughFart

LiveLaughFart

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 22 December 2011 - 05:48 PM

Na, I want to take accutane but can't because I have to have oral surgery and I think oral surgery is way more important

#19 colostomus

colostomus

skydive ur problems away

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 December 2011 - 05:59 PM

well i never! moo! yeah hollisters too uptight

#20 amy91

amy91

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 23 December 2011 - 01:29 AM

>Posted Image(

Btw, how has your skin been doin' recently? Did you see any improvements from your diet?