Rossignol

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6
About Me

Posted 14 September 2004 - 06:20 AM

Hi,
I have been aware of the beneficial effect that Royal Jelly can have on acne for some time now, and took it for a while back when I was about 14. However, I had forgotten about it until reading some info in a nutrition book, 'You are what you eat', by Dr. Gillian McKeith, recommending it for acne treatments.

Here is the extract from her book:
The Bee by-products, essentially those substances produced by bees, have exceptional healing powers

Royal jelly
The Queen bee lives almost exclusively on royal jelly; and lives about 40 times longer than the rest of the bees. It's packed with a wonderful range of nutrients essential for boosting energy levels and combating stress.
Researchers have discovered royal jelly contains an antibiotic almost a quarter as active as penicillin, but without the side effects. They also found that royal jelly halts the growth of bacteria that causes spots and stomach bugs. I prescribe royal elly for patients wanting to conceive a baby. And boy has that been successful! It comes in liquid and capsules or royal jelly paste.

Propolis
When you see bees busy at work in your garden, this is what they're collecting. It's a sticky material from the buds and bark of mostly poplar and fir trees. the bees use it to coat the outside of the hive for sterilization. Any predator entering their domain is stung to death, and embalmed with propolis to prevent decay. Propolis prevents bacteria from multiplying in an organism, so can strenghten our immune system. Propolis also maintains and enhances the essential healthy bacteria. As a result, it is used to improve acne, skin ailments, cold sores, and even arthritis because of its anti-fungal, antiseptic and anti-inflammatory qualities. you can get propolis lozenges and tablets, or in liquid form.

This sounds extremely interesting, to me. i am reluctant to try it at the moment due to insufficient finances! dry.gif But I was wondering if anyone else has any experience with either of these two 'bee superfoods' in treating acne and helping wound healing?

Here are some links I found discussing the products:
http://hometown.aol....hy/propolis.htm
http://www.thenutrit.../bee_stuff.html

Here's a site I found that is selling it: http://www.apitherapy.biz/propolis/

And, to provide a bit of balance and to please BenKweller, ( wink.gif ) a negative discussion of them at Quackwatch! http://www.quackwatc...cs/DSH/bee.html

#2 Lumas

Lumas

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 September 2004 - 07:59 AM

If you buy it, get them from here. These products are raw and organic. Fast shipping too.

http://eatraw.com/se...n&Submit=Search

#3 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 September 2004 - 10:40 AM

psst...I was trying to hold off on this for when I mentioned natural estrogens, but since you asked, Propolis is also antiinflammatory, anti-androgenic, and estrogenic! So if you aren't allergic to it and don't mind that it's an animal product, go for it! ;-)

#4 Denise2

Denise2

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 September 2004 - 10:49 AM

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but propolis and royal jelly never worked for me at all. I did take high doses of both.

But that doesn't mean it won't work for others.......

#5 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 September 2004 - 11:01 AM

QUOTE (Denise2 @ Sep 14 2004, 10:36 AM)
I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but propolis and royal jelly never worked for me at all.  I did take high doses of both. 

But that doesn't mean it won't work for others.......

LOL, yeah it does go that way huh. Prescriptions do or don't, supplements do or don't, and yes even diet does or doesn't. Our bodies decide which it prefers, not us =/

Anyway, Denise I was thinking about taking the L-glutamine to help heal my possible leaky gut. Think 3 - 5 years on 1800mg - 2400mg of Motrin/Ibuprofen usually with no food or milk would qualify me as a candidate? Hey those menstrual pains were horrible to me and in the end it was changing my diet that eliminated them...wish I knew that when I was 10. Anyway, I know that you have MSG sensitivity and I've been researching a bit and the two seem to different enough that L-glutamine wouldn't cause the same problems. Was this your experience?

Thanks

#6 Denise2

Denise2

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 September 2004 - 12:29 PM

Hi SweetJade: I didn't seem to have any problems at all with taking high doses of l-glutamine. But I also took it with aloe vera juice, which is very soothing to the intestinal tract and promotes healing of leaky gut syndrome also.

#7 Rossignol

Rossignol

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6
About Me

Posted 14 September 2004 - 01:21 PM

Thanks for the replies, guys - I think I might try some propolis when I get my next pay cheque! cool.gif

Sweetjade - great minds think alike! wink.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users