Photo

Accutane 21 F, 20Mg/day

mild acne moderate acne low dose accutane 20mg 0.5mg/kg

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 kkcc

kkcc

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 December 2011 - 05:02 PM

I’ve had moderate acne at least since I was 14, and I've essentially tried everything. While I was able to bring it down to a manageable level, I’m still not happy with my skin. Any wrong move can trigger a breakout: forgetting to wash my face, getting stressed out, nearing that time of the month, whatever. I’m also a terrible picker; I can make a clogged pore look like a war wound.

So, that’s why I’m starting Accutane after much deliberation. I’m expecting everything to go smoothly because I’m on a relatively low dose and I’m fully prepared to combat dryness with my army of Cetaphil moisturizer, Acne.org jojoba oil, Vaseline, Kiehl’s crème de corps, and Burt’s Bees chapstick! My prescription is 10mg twice daily for three months. I’m 5’1” and 92 lbs so this is roughly 0.5mg/kg, the lowest recommended dosage. I’m going tomorrow to get my preliminary blood check and pregnancy test, and I’ll start treatment the next day.

I'll try to make this a weekly log with photos. Creeping on the accutane journals here was very helpful in making my decision, so I hope I'll be able to do the same for people considering a low dose accutane treatment.

Edited by kkcc, 24 February 2012 - 12:32 AM.

#2 kkcc

kkcc

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 December 2011 - 05:22 PM

So... I wrote that introduction yesterday. It's kind of funny now because of the drama that has happened since. Let’s just say I am NOT off to a good start, and I haven't even taken my first pill!

My mom drove me to the lab to get my blood work done. I was slightly nervous, but I'm generally okay with needles. However, when I got my blood taken, I felt pretty weird. Immediately afterwards I felt nauseous and faint but I shook it off as nerves and met up with my mom. There was a grocery store next door, so she wanted to do some shopping. I told her I didn't feel very good, but I would be okay. As we walked towards the produce department, however, I stopped and said "No... no... NOT okay. I REALLY don't feel good"... and latched on to her. I don't remember anything after that point but apparently I said "I'm going to faint" and did. My mom laid me down on the floor and I started convulsing. She got someone to call 911. The next thing I knew I felt like I was waking up from the deepest sleep ever. I was expecting to open my eyes to my nice warm bed, but instead I saw my mom's concerned face and the grocery store in the background. I FREAKED and demanded to know where I was/what had happened... and it all came back to me. The store first aid person (apparently that is a thing?) wrapped me in a blanket and I sat on the floor for half an hour waiting for the ambulance to come.

Anyways, a slew of tests and 4 hours in the waiting room later, apparently it was just an uncommon but not concerning reaction to getting blood drawn, and next time I simply have to inform the lab staff that I’ll need to sit or lie down for a while afterwards. Still… it was pretty scary and I’m not looking forward to the next time!

#3 sd85

sd85

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 December 2011 - 07:13 PM

So... I wrote that introduction yesterday. It's kind of funny now because of the drama that has happened since. Let’s just say I am NOT off to a good start, and I haven't even taken my first pill!

My mom drove me to the lab to get my blood work done. I was slightly nervous, but I'm generally okay with needles. However, when I got my blood taken, I felt pretty weird. Immediately afterwards I felt nauseous and faint but I shook it off as nerves and met up with my mom. There was a grocery store next door, so she wanted to do some shopping. I told her I didn't feel very good, but I would be okay. As we walked towards the produce department, however, I stopped and said "No... no... NOT okay. I REALLY don't feel good"... and latched on to her. I don't remember anything after that point but apparently I said "I'm going to faint" and did. My mom laid me down on the floor and I started convulsing. She got someone to call 911. The next thing I knew I felt like I was waking up from the deepest sleep ever. I was expecting to open my eyes to my nice warm bed, but instead I saw my mom's concerned face and the grocery store in the background. I FREAKED and demanded to know where I was/what had happened... and it all came back to me. The store first aid person (apparently that is a thing?) wrapped me in a blanket and I sat on the floor for half an hour waiting for the ambulance to come.

Anyways, a slew of tests and 4 hours in the waiting room later, apparently it was just an uncommon but not concerning reaction to getting blood drawn, and next time I simply have to inform the lab staff that I’ll need to sit or lie down for a while afterwards. Still… it was pretty scary and I’m not looking forward to the next time!

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I don't think it's likely to happen again. In any case, now that I am three months through my course, I can tell you that even if that happens EVERY time, it is still worth it. Give it three months and you will not believe how good your skin looks.

#4 kkcc

kkcc

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 December 2011 - 03:30 PM

Week 1.

My skin hasn't been this good in forever, it's freaking me out! I only have red marks from a breakout about 2 weeks ago, and a couple clogged pores. The Accutane can't be working already, can it? As for side effects, I can't tell, because I always have chapped lips regardless.

Not really related, but I got a call from the doctor's office with the news that, according to my blood work, I have iron-deficiency anemia. This doesn't come as a surprise; in fact, I specifically requested that they check for it even before the whole fainting fiasco. I'm excited about going on a supplement because I hope it'll give me more energy and focus.

If my skin stays this good, my log may end up being incredibly boring. Crossing my fingers that that's the case.

Edited by kkcc, 01 February 2012 - 11:58 PM.

#5 blahdeeblah

blahdeeblah

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 27 December 2011 - 09:59 PM

Boring is good! Sounds like you've had enough excitement already!

#6 luc_nic

luc_nic

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 December 2011 - 01:14 PM

hey im one month into my course at 20mg a day also and although things have been a bit up and down, ive seen improvement. i think my acne was quite similar to yours by the looks of things although i had cysts now and again and way oily skin. i still have a few clogged pores and red marks from breakouts in weeks 2 and 3. not an IB as such just the usual that i was getting. my side effects have been super mild but i notice my skin taking longer to heal.
best of luck with your course!

#7 Graciemeow

Graciemeow

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 29 December 2011 - 02:28 PM

heeey, yes if you feel faint again definatly tell the doctor to stop! i dont really take to needles very well and fainted during my blood tests so its nout uncommon! anyway you seem to have got off to a really good improvment already after one week!! accutane is an absoloute godsend so good luck :) how long is your course? x

Gracie-Robin

P.C.O.S

Vitamins/Supplements:  Vitex (agnus castus), A Herbal Mix made by a Naturopath, DIM Plus, Zinc, Vitamin A, Milk Thistle, Calcium, Matcha Green tea, Myo-Inositol powder, Omega 3 Fish Oil, Evening Primrose Oil.

Diet: Dairy free (mainly due to intolerance), low carb, low sugar, no processed foods

Lifestyle: I run every day. I gym three/four times a week.

In the past: Various Antibiotics, Birth Control Pills (Dianette, Yasmin, Cilest), Zineryt, Benzoyl Peroxide, Two courses of Roaccutane.

#8 kkcc

kkcc

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:39 PM

Week 2.

Posted Image

I'm either having an "inital" or regular monthly variety breakout right now. Either way, it sucks because school starts tomorrow. My lips are much more dry than usual, and so chapped that it is noticeable from a distance. I have to use chapstick like every 5 minutes or else I have massive flakes on my lips. I would still say that my skin is slightly better than usual, but I can't wait until I start seeing real improvement.

To answer Graciemeow's question, my course is 3 months. This seems much shorter than usual, which is bothering me even though my acne is probably also milder than most. My doctor did say that if there isn't a 70% improvement by the end, she will extend it for another month... but as you can see, my acne situation varies by that much from week to week anyways. We'll see how it goes I guess.

#9 Quiescence

Quiescence

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:09 PM

I don't understand what you mean by inital breakout?....your skin is completely flawless? x

My accutane diary: http://www.acne.org/...306982-my-face/

25 Year Old Female

125 pounds

Facewash - Sebamed Liquid Face and Body Wash

Moisturiser - Cetaphil

Lips - Lypsyl

Nose - Lucas' Pawpaw Ointment

Month 1 - 30mg/day

Month 2 - 60mg/day

Month 3 - 60mg/day

Month 4 - 60mg/day

Month 5 - 60mg/day

Done!!!

#10 kkcc

kkcc

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 January 2012 - 09:30 PM

Week 3.

Included a close-up shot for the disbelievers, haha. The PIH blends in with my freckles, and the lighting doesn't do my affliction justice.

Things are progressing slowly. Had like 4 pimples this week, in unusual spots like my cheekbones and jaw. Lips haven't gotten any worse, and no other side effects to report. A bunch of small whiteheads are kind of rising to the surface on my chin, while blackheads are becoming more and more prominent on my nose and forehead. At first I thought it was just my imagination, but the other day I was sitting like 4 feet away from my mom (and wearing makeup) and she exclaims "Wow, I can see every pore on your nose! They're like.. bumpy. It must be working." So that's a good sign I guess... but really gross!

Edited by kkcc, 06 April 2012 - 11:53 AM.

#11 lnymphl

lnymphl

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 January 2012 - 09:42 PM

The pictures makes it look like you have very VERRRRY mild acne... like a few blemishes that no one would notice unless you pointed it out.

I'm so envious of your skin! Posted Image I hope after the course you achieve what you were looking for! So far everything looks great :) You have such beautiful eyes too!

I hope you have the right stuff to keep your anemia under control too. Good luck!

#12 kkcc

kkcc

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 January 2012 - 11:13 AM

Week 4.

My blackheads & whiteheads are starting to go away, finally. I had just one pimple this week. My skin is getting a bit drier, but it's still not flaky or anything. I forgot to mention another side effect that I'm having, which is tiredness! Throughout the entire day I catch myself fantasizing about napping, it's terrible. I also accessed my blood tests online because I was curious about the results. For the last one everything was normal except two of the things they check (for heightened levels) to make sure Accutane isn't damaging the liver too much were slightly low, which is good!

#13 kkcc

kkcc

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 January 2012 - 10:28 AM

Week 5.

Remember what I said about picking my face? Yeah. I picked at the whiteheads on my jawline that never seem to want to go away, and they got infected. It's been 3 days since and I've been putting polysporin on them every night. Not looking so good, and I'm feeling like a complete idiot.
Other accutane-related stuff that has happened this week: two scaly patches appeared on my hands, where the thumb and forefinger meet. Nothing some body shop hemp hand creme couldn't handle. I didn't get a single pimple, or at least none that would have naturally occurred. I switched to washing my hair with conditioner every other day, which I think will be really good for it since I'm growing it out (no, it is not this awkward length by choice!). I've been using ground-up oatmeal to wash/exfoliate my face every morning. It's nice being able to try some of the strange indulgences that require not-oily skin.

#14 kkcc

kkcc

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:55 AM

Week 7.

I'm going to start updating every 2 weeks because progress is happening very slowly. This past week I had 2 full-blown cystic pimples, but since it was both my worst time of the month *and* an incredibly stressful week (midterms), I'm feeling okay because my skin will probably never be this bad ever again. It's also nothing compared to the breakouts I used to get a year or two ago, which would be like 2 pimples a day. I still have hyperpigmentation from 2 weeks ago because they keep scabbing over and peeling off again. My skin's healing process really seems to have slowed down, but on the upside the stubborn whiteheads on my chin have mostly cleared up.

I went to my doctor (actually a different doctor than the one who prescribed me Accutane, since he was away back then) for the first time since starting. He agreed that it may be worth it for me to stay on for at least 4 months, up to 6, so he prescribed me enough to get me to 4 for now. He said my blood test results were so good that it would be pointless to do any more (sigh of relief) until just before I reach four months so we can decide if I want to stick with it for another two, in which case my cumulative dose would be 90 mg/kg. I think I will, because I know how incredibly stubborn my skin is.

ETA: Oh yeah, I also got this Canadian generic "Clarus" isotretinoin this last time. I was a little annoyed with the pharmacy (Costco) because the first time I did my prescription they told me that I "may as well get the brand name Accutane because it's less than a dollar more expensive" and when I got my renewal (did it over the phone), they just gave me Clarus. Of course it's the exact same thing, but still. The pills are quite a bit smaller and each 30 pack comes in 3 small blister packs of ten rather than the giant book thing.

#15 kkcc

kkcc

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:30 AM

Week 9.

I've had 2 very small clogged pores since my last update. My face looks nearly exactly identical (marks are a tiny bit less glaringly obvious), so I didn't bother with a photo. I wish I had a picture from when my acne was really bad to keep things in perspective, because now even just the red marks are driving me insane. I've started using my leftover 0.05% retin-a just on my chin, even though my doctor told me not to use it while I'm on accutane. It's been 3 days and nothing bad has happened, and I think it's helped a little. Hurrryyy up and fade already!

#16 kkcc

kkcc

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:25 AM

Week 11

Still pretty much the same. Had about 2 whiteheads again, both on my chin. I also had a giant blackhead randomly appear in the middle of my cheek. So that was... interesting. I squeezed it out (sorry for the imagery) and it healed completely by the next day. I would say that my red spots are now half marks from whiteheads I picked at and half from spontaneously arising dry spots that somehow get scratched. I have two of these on the back on my right hand too. Once again I would say in general there's a very slight improvement in the evenness of my skin tone.