Photo

How Can I Fully Commit Myself To Eating Healthy And Clean?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 blissbalance

blissbalance

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 December 2011 - 12:54 PM

I DO want to eat 100% healthy, but my mother always buys unhealthy food. I hate it so much, I'm an aspiring nutritionist and it makes me so angry when she always buys chips, cake, etc.. I have told her before, and even my father, to STOP buying that horrible food! She doesn't listen so I stopped nagging her. The temptations are in my house though, and I hate it. I need some advice on how to strictly stay on my diet. Cheese cake doesn't do any good for my thighs or stomach, as well as my skin!!

#2 LiveLaughFart

LiveLaughFart

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Achievements

Posted 19 December 2011 - 01:01 PM

If your parents will not let you eat healthy then you can try and find a job and buy your own groceries.

If you have healthy food at home, then you just have to do it, it's all in your mind. You need to have a strong mind in order to avoid the foods you crave and stick to healthy eating. Just make food that taste good to you, and you won't want anything else.

#3 chunkylard

chunkylard

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 December 2011 - 01:03 PM

First and foremost, realize there's no such thing as 100% healthy. Live your life.

Tell yourself that any junk food is simply temporary pleasure. Do you want 30 seconds of whatever taste in your mouth/breakout which can last for days or clear skin?

#4 breesy

breesy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 19 December 2011 - 01:34 PM

Do you want 30 seconds of whatever taste in your mouth/breakout which can last for days or clear skin?

This. Check my sig...might seem harsh but that's what it is in the end. Suffer the pain of discipline or suffer the pain of regret...

#5 Tunnelvisionary

Tunnelvisionary

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6
About Me

Posted 19 December 2011 - 01:37 PM

First and foremost, realize there's no such thing as 100% healthy. Live your life.

Very wise advice. It's important not to let acne or nutrition run your life all the time.

That being said, there are obviously choices you can make that are much better for you, but the main point is not to stress yourself out finding the perfect diet. The more nutrition research you do, the more information you'll find about potentially negative things in all foods, but don't worry too much about it.

I used to kind of get mad at my mom for buying unhealthy junk, but I realized that I never really talked to her about it. Talk to your mom about what you want to get and why! If you can drive, go to the grocery store yourself.

#6 marissa8161

marissa8161

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 7
About Me

Achievements

Posted 19 December 2011 - 06:48 PM

Try looking at it this way: treats are TREATS.

Make them special. Treats should be something that you don't enjoy very often, so that when you do, they taste extra delicious. And treats should be something worthwhile. Homemade pie? Yum, totally worth it. But prepackaged cookies and chips? Umm... not really.

It seems like you enjoy eating healthy. I do, too. So I eat healthy pretty much all the time... except for when I treat myself to something that may not be good for my body or skin, but is good for my mind and soul. Its all about balance.

And you have to define what's healthy for YOU. What's healthy to some people might not be the same for other people. To me, healthy is a diet that is 90% vegetables with plenty of healthy fats from nuts and seeds and good daily dose of protein, usually from eggs, and whole-grains, with absolutely NO dairy or red meat. But to other people, grains are the devil and nuts and seeds trigger massive breakouts, but they might live off of red meat and have no problem. And other people are even more slack with their diet and call it good as long as they get their 5-a-day. Its all about what works for you.

Diet plays a massive role in health... but you can't spend your life killing yourself over it.

Btw, I'm an aspiring nutritionist, too. I love all this stuff.

#7 steven m jacobson

steven m jacobson

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 December 2011 - 07:35 PM

I would recommend going to the store with them when they go shopping next time and tell them you are going to make them diner, in doing so get the healthy ingredients you need. They should (as parents) back your decision and be willing to purchase those for you. Good luck.

#8 alexaaa

alexaaa

=)

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 December 2011 - 09:24 PM

Ugh I know exactly what you mean! My weakness is iced mochas with vanilla & white chocolate from Starbucks lol too good to resist....

#9 dejaclairevoyant

dejaclairevoyant

~clean body, beautiful life~

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 December 2011 - 04:20 PM

Very wise advice. It's important not to let acne or nutrition run your life all the time.

Unless you have to. I don't have a choice.

#10 limpbizkitfan

limpbizkitfan

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 December 2011 - 08:10 PM

just eat things that you like to eat, dont starve yourself or things will be worse.
You dont have to suffer while eating healthy, theres a lot of good tasting healthy food like sweet potatoe fries and turkey w cranberry sauce
Lol I'm already thinking about christmasss haha. The big thing though is to not eat any junk, eat healthy snack like pretzels or fruit, and even raw veggies dipped in ranch is good.

#11 spectacled_owl

spectacled_owl

With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 December 2011 - 08:55 PM

Make them special. Treats should be something that you don't enjoy very often, so that when you do, they taste extra delicious. And treats should be something worthwhile. Homemade pie? Yum, totally worth it. But prepackaged cookies and chips? Umm... not really.

Yeah this is my thing too. Why oh why feel crappy/get a zit whatever over a dunkin donut when you could have eaten a piece of homemade cheesecake made with all real ingredients just how you like it? Plus, after putting all the effort and love into making it, it tastes and feels better anyway. Good for the soul.

There is always a nice balance to be found between eating right and living right.

#12 *`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

*`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

*`*~Acne Be Gone Fairy~*`*

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:02 PM

Lots of high-nutrient foods. I find that when I'm eating plenty of high-nutrient foods (like blended greens), and when I have healthful alternatives, I can easily pass up the bad foods I find around me. When your body is getting lots of nutrition, your cravings go down. You do need to have the healthful alternatives though!! For example, below is a recipe that can actually help with weight-loss (due to the coconut oil) and is very rich. Yes, it does contain saturated fats, but there is controversy about coconut oil, and I'm leaning towards the side of it being healthful for us. :)

Chocolate Coconut Mousse (Coconut oil helps burn fat!)
Blend:
  • 5 tablespoons cocoa powder
  • 3 tablespoons honey
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 1 can coconut milk (I like the Thai brand).

Drain water from coconut milk (you may need to refrigerate it first so that the water and cream separates). Blend ingredients and refrigerate for a few hours until mixture has thickened into a mousse like texture.
Note: Look for a natural brand of vanilla extract without artificial flavorings or propylene glycol. I sometimes like to drizzle a little honey and sprinkle some cinnamon on top. It's also delicious with berries.

#13 blackblake

blackblake

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 February 2012 - 05:40 PM

I can relate to that. my parents are extremely unhealthy eaters and the temptation is very high. My mom even bought a pumpkin pie on thanksgiving that killed me to say no to, cause i am obsessed with pumpkin, whether it be pie or a pumpkin coffee. But i have actually learned to live with it. They buy their stuff, i buy mine. We always have loads of chocolate and chips and crap like that laying around the house, and i just ignore it.

#14 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 February 2012 - 03:55 PM

Ugh I know exactly what you mean! My weakness is iced mochas with vanilla & white chocolate from Starbucks lol too good to resist....

Then make a healthier version yourself. There's no reason you can't have coffee and cocoa unless you are intolerant to them. Some people break out from caffeine...

Lots of high-nutrient foods. I find that when I'm eating plenty of high-nutrient foods (like blended greens), and when I have healthful alternatives, I can easily pass up the bad foods I find around me. When your body is getting lots of nutrition, your cravings go down. You do need to have the healthful alternatives though!! For example, below is a recipe that can actually help with weight-loss (due to the coconut oil) and is very rich. Yes, it does contain saturated fats, but there is controversy about coconut oil, and I'm leaning towards the side of it being healthful for us. Posted Image

Chocolate Coconut Mousse (Coconut oil helps burn fat!)
Blend:

• 5 tablespoons cocoa powder
  • 3 tablespoons honey
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 1 can coconut milk (I like the Thai brand).
Drain water from coconut milk (you may need to refrigerate it first so that the water and cream separates). Blend ingredients and refrigerate for a few hours until mixture has thickened into a mousse like texture.
Note: Look for a natural brand of vanilla extract without artificial flavorings or propylene glycol. I sometimes like to drizzle a little honey and sprinkle some cinnamon on top. It's also delicious with berries.

Is this in the dessert thread where I'll be able to find it again?

Yes. Treats are treats. Eat mostly very well and then have a treat. Just make it it something that's damn good that you really want.

#15 *`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

*`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

*`*~Acne Be Gone Fairy~*`*

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 February 2012 - 04:04 PM

Alternativista,
It's in the thread, and I just revised it a little. You can do a coconut search in the topic to find it again down the road. :)