Photo

Pco-Syndrome

birth control low carb

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 dreamer003

dreamer003

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 December 2011 - 05:43 PM

Hi,
Just recently I was diagnosed with pco-syndrome. My symptoms are:
- acne
- diffuse hair loss
- irregular menstrual cycle
A gynaecologist did an ultrasound on me and confirmed my suspicions, I have pcos.
Now basically she said there's not much you can do, except go on birth control. The thing is, I have been on birth control (diane35) for 3 years, and although it helped my acne a little, the hair loss started while I was on it. I've been off it for a year now, and my hair stayed the same (not worse, nor better).
I'm also on accutane now and I've been on it for almost 2 months and my skin is definitely improving, but i wonder if it's more likely to come back after the treatment, because of pcos. Does anyone here took accutane while having pcos?
And I've read some things about a low carb diet, does that really help with the symptoms? Oh do i love carbs...
Would love to hear some experiences Posted Image

#2 CocnutCaramel

CocnutCaramel

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 10 December 2011 - 02:44 AM

not an answer to your question, but my pco just went away on its own. it might come back, but according to my gyn it comes and goes and is not permanent. so you might not have it forever. i think my pco debuted when i was terribly stressed out and didn't exercise properly, so for me cardio workouts and calming down a bit helped me a lot. not saying i won't get the cysts back, but i'm not sure bcp is the ***only*** way to heal it.
Wanna see what happens when an obsessive picker quits and ditches a lot of products to heal? Check out my Acne.org journal!

I believe in: greens, breathing, Yogi tea, spirulina, riding bikes, pumpkins, water and things that smell nice

Face care routine:
Shiseido Extra Gentle foaming cleanser
Shiseido The Skincare Hydro Nourishing Softener (toner)
Shiseido The Skincare Protective moisturiser spf 15
Shiseido The Skincare Night Moisture Recharge
Mario Badescu Healing Cream
On and off using: Clinique blemish solution spot gel

#3 dreamer003

dreamer003

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 December 2011 - 02:57 AM

not an answer to your question, but my pco just went away on its own. it might come back, but according to my gyn it comes and goes and is not permanent. so you might not have it forever. i think my pco debuted when i was terribly stressed out and didn't exercise properly, so for me cardio workouts and calming down a bit helped me a lot. not saying i won't get the cysts back, but i'm not sure bcp is the ***only*** way to heal it.

Oh that's new, my gynaecologist said nothing about it possibly going away. I did read about exercising and a better diet being helpful, so I should really start doing that... How did you de-stress? :P
Did you have many symptoms? And did they also go away?

#4 CocnutCaramel

CocnutCaramel

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 10 December 2011 - 10:35 AM

I found out about my pcos about a year ago, when I hadn't had a period in 3 months. I got some sort of hormone pill to get back on my cycle again, and it worked fine. But my period was always pretty irregular. The months before it went away i had completley cramp-free periods and my gyno said that's an indication that I wasn't ovulating during those months.
I've always had lots dark, thick hair on my legs, pubic, armpits and eyebrows and that's supposed to be a symptom. But that's how i've been since I was 10, so it could just be genes. My acne is almost completley isolated to my cheeks/jawline, and before i got the diagnose I think my hair was falling out a bit more than normal.
So:
- Irregular periods
- No ovulation
- Missing/skipping periods
- lots of body hair
- Cheek acne
- Hairloss (but this one's not certain, cos i had longer hair than i'd ever had when that happened, so it could just be that i wasn't used to having that much hair to get caught in my hairbrush...)

When my period whent missing and i got the diagnose i was in an extremley stressful phase of my life: just moved to a new city, had no money and no friends, worked 12-hour days a lot of the tme. I lost a lot of weight (and I was pretty slim before) and generally just felt like crap. Now, a year later, I moved away from that city to a place where i have friends. I started exercising (run 2 times a week) and got my weight back (with more muscle! woho!)

Now, my hair isn't falling out, I am ovulating (because i have crazy cramps), i'm still a hairy werewolf-lady (lol), but my acne is subsiding. And overall i'm happier and feel better. I'm gonna start taking Yasmin on my next period and I hope that'll help with the cramps, and maybe keep the pco at bay.

Edited by CocnutCaramel, 10 December 2011 - 10:37 AM.

Wanna see what happens when an obsessive picker quits and ditches a lot of products to heal? Check out my Acne.org journal!

I believe in: greens, breathing, Yogi tea, spirulina, riding bikes, pumpkins, water and things that smell nice

Face care routine:
Shiseido Extra Gentle foaming cleanser
Shiseido The Skincare Hydro Nourishing Softener (toner)
Shiseido The Skincare Protective moisturiser spf 15
Shiseido The Skincare Night Moisture Recharge
Mario Badescu Healing Cream
On and off using: Clinique blemish solution spot gel

#5 dreamer003

dreamer003

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 December 2011 - 05:46 AM

I found out about my pcos about a year ago, when I hadn't had a period in 3 months. I got some sort of hormone pill to get back on my cycle again, and it worked fine. But my period was always pretty irregular. The months before it went away i had completley cramp-free periods and my gyno said that's an indication that I wasn't ovulating during those months.
I've always had lots dark, thick hair on my legs, pubic, armpits and eyebrows and that's supposed to be a symptom. But that's how i've been since I was 10, so it could just be genes. My acne is almost completley isolated to my cheeks/jawline, and before i got the diagnose I think my hair was falling out a bit more than normal.
So:
- Irregular periods
- No ovulation
- Missing/skipping periods
- lots of body hair
- Cheek acne
- Hairloss (but this one's not certain, cos i had longer hair than i'd ever had when that happened, so it could just be that i wasn't used to having that much hair to get caught in my hairbrush...)

When my period whent missing and i got the diagnose i was in an extremley stressful phase of my life: just moved to a new city, had no money and no friends, worked 12-hour days a lot of the tme. I lost a lot of weight (and I was pretty slim before) and generally just felt like crap. Now, a year later, I moved away from that city to a place where i have friends. I started exercising (run 2 times a week) and got my weight back (with more muscle! woho!)

Now, my hair isn't falling out, I am ovulating (because i have crazy cramps), i'm still a hairy werewolf-lady (lol), but my acne is subsiding. And overall i'm happier and feel better. I'm gonna start taking Yasmin on my next period and I hope that'll help with the cramps, and maybe keep the pco at bay.

Ahh that's really good to hear! I'm happy you're feeling better :)
I think i'm a little bit hairy too haha, but it's manageable :P
I'm definitely going to start exercising more and eating better, hopefully it will sort things out a bit. It took you about a year to start ovulating again?

#6 LoveGreenSmoothies

LoveGreenSmoothies

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 17 December 2011 - 12:56 AM

Not demonizing BCP's at all because they can be really helpful, but some say they can cause PCOS.

Does the Pill cause PCOS?

The Pill is not a solution for PCOS. It does absolutely nothing to improve the underlying insulin resistance, and can actually worsen it (9). In 2003, the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism published an article called 'A Modern Medical Quandary: Polycystic Ovary Syndrome, Insulin Resistance, and Oral Contraceptive Pills'.(10) The Pill has been standard treatment for PCOS, and yet, perversely, it appears to worsen the metabolic problem that is at the root of the condition. The authors say: '...what has been lacking is a critical examination of whether oral contraceptives might...exert adverse metabolic effects with long-term consequences..'.

The Pill may have made further contributions to the epidemic of PCOS. The Pill is known to cause permanent hormone changes, even once it is stopped.(6,7,8). As stated above, it is medically known that it can take a long time to get ovulation going after stopping the Pill. (Some women are lucky to have periods start again easily, but that is not the case for everyone.)

The pill will cause a monthly bleed, but this is not a true period.

I guess it would depend if you're IR or not.

Accutane can work for people with PCOS. Some say it has ant-androgen properties, but not much is known about just how it works.

I'd finish the course and then reevaluate later.

If you're IR and overweight, low carbing and losing weight will help tremendously. If you're thin and not IR it much dicier. Don't start an intense workout or diet during 'tane though.

Most people I know with PCOS who are on the pill need other meds to combat the PCOS. The BCP alone usually doesn't cut it by itself.
Please only PM me if it's something that cannot be talked about on the thread or is highly personal. This way, everyone benefits.

#7 dreamer003

dreamer003

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 December 2011 - 10:55 AM

Not demonizing BCP's at all because they can be really helpful, but some say they can cause PCOS.

The Pill is not a solution for PCOS. It does absolutely nothing to improve the underlying insulin resistance, and can actually worsen it (9). In 2003, the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism published an article called 'A Modern Medical Quandary: Polycystic Ovary Syndrome, Insulin Resistance, and Oral Contraceptive Pills'.(10) The Pill has been standard treatment for PCOS, and yet, perversely, it appears to worsen the metabolic problem that is at the root of the condition. The authors say: '...what has been lacking is a critical examination of whether oral contraceptives might...exert adverse metabolic effects with long-term consequences..'.

The Pill may have made further contributions to the epidemic of PCOS. The Pill is known to cause permanent hormone changes, even once it is stopped.(6,7,8). As stated above, it is medically known that it can take a long time to get ovulation going after stopping the Pill. (Some women are lucky to have periods start again easily, but that is not the case for everyone.)

Accutane can work for people with PCOS. Some say it has ant-androgen properties, but not much is known about just how it works.

If you're IR and overweight, low carbing and losing weight will help tremendously. If you're thin and not IR it much dicier. Don't start an intense workout or diet during 'tane though.

Most people I know with PCOS who are on the pill need other meds to combat the PCOS. The BCP alone usually doesn't cut it by itself.

Thanks for your reply :)
I've read some things about bcp's causing pcos too, but I don't really know what to believe... I can't change the fact I was on bc for 4 years anyway and I've been off it for a year now and not really thinking about starting again (but i probably will some time in my life).

I have no idea if I'm insulin resistant. Is that a given when you have pcos? I guess that's why you should eat low GI food, to keep your blood sugar stable.
I'm not overweight though, i'm slightly underweight.

#8 LoveGreenSmoothies

LoveGreenSmoothies

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 17 December 2011 - 04:38 PM

It's not a given when you have PCOS, but many are IR. It's more difficult to treat PCOS if you're thin. Overweight people with it usually notice dramatic results in all their symptoms when they lose weight. There's a lot they don't understand about lean PCOS.
Please only PM me if it's something that cannot be talked about on the thread or is highly personal. This way, everyone benefits.

#9 farewe1l

farewe1l

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:24 PM

I will have to disagree with this. Not all PCOS is related to insulin issues and for those who do use BCP it helps tremendously with acne issues. As long as those women can tolerate the other side-effects, headaches, etc. then it is up to their doctor to make those decisions. Not every study out there is accurate and most are biased.

#10 Green Gables

Green Gables

RETIRED

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:06 PM

I would recommend a Paleo diet for anyone, but especially if you have insulin resistance issues.

The other thing you can look into is spironolactone. You can take it with BCP. It is fairly mild. It is an anti-androgen and is often prescribed for PCOS, acne, hirsutism, and hair loss.

Edited by Green Gables, 10 July 2012 - 10:06 PM.

photo-152109.gif?_r=1345837784?__rand=0.

I don't get notified of your response to my post unless you QUOTE my post.

Please only quote a small portion of the post so it doesn't clutter up the thread. 

How to Treat Hormonal Acne

Good and Bad Birth Control Pills and Implants for Acne

How to take Spironolactone

List of Doctors Who Prescribe Spironolactone

Topicals for Hormonal Acne

HOW I STAY 100% CLEAR:

Spironolactone (anti-androgen drug)

Betaine HCL with each meal

Avoiding silicones and occlusives in skin/hair products

#11 LoveGreenSmoothies

LoveGreenSmoothies

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 14 July 2012 - 09:00 PM

Go back and read my first sentence. Also read the post above yours because I say those things.

I will have to disagree with this. Not all PCOS is related to insulin issues and for those who do use BCP it helps tremendously with acne issues. As long as those women can tolerate the other side-effects, headaches, etc. then it is up to their doctor to make those decisions. Not every study out there is accurate and most are biased.