paleo

No replies to this topic

#1 Chestercool

Chestercool

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 December 2011 - 11:14 AM

Hi everyone! I've been doing some research about eating unlimited quantities of fruit to reach a clear skin. As we know, Loren Cordain shows evidence that diet and acne are related, Also, he is considered a diet guru since he is the autor of the paleo diet. Some people on this forum support the idea one should go crazy eating fruits, others say too much fructuose could spike insulin, which means high sebum production.

In "The dietary cure of acne" we find this subtitle:

Why Teens are More Prone to Acne
"Did you ever wonder why teens are most susceptible to acne and why
acne symptoms begin to subside as we age? Adolescence is a time of natural
insulin resistance, and all people become more insulin resistant as they enter the
teenage growth spurt years. Insulin is an anabolic hormone (meaning that it
facilitates growth of all tissues). Because we are insulin resistant during our
teen years, higher concentrations of insulin are present in our bloodstream,
which in turn facilitates our adolescent growth spurt."

Also, he recommends all type of fruits, i think that's mainly because "Aches" in Paraguay eat large amounts of fruit and they are completly clear. However, if we visit his page (thepaleodiet.com) we find this:
Fruit and sugar
"For insulin-resistant subjects, fructose consumption may be particularly problematic. Consequently, I have tabulated the total metabolic fructose for items in the Table below. Metabolic fructose = (fructose + sucrose). In the gut, table sugar (sucrose) is split into its two component parts (fructose and glucose) before it enters the bloodstream. Hence sucrose’s contribution to the total dietary fructose load must be considered."

However, if you are very much overweight or are insulin resistant, I recommend that you initially limit high sugar fruits (grapes, bananas, mangos, sweet cherries, apples, pineapples, pears and kiwi fruit) from your diet until your weight starts to normalize and your health improves. Try to include more vegetables in lieu of the high-sugar fruit. As per my previous recommendations, dried fruits contain excessive sugar, and from the Table below, you can see they more closely resemble commercial candy than their fresh counterparts. Note that some fruits (avocados, lemons, and limes) are very low in total sugar and should not be restricted.

So in the first quote, he argues adolescence is a time of natural insulin resistance, in the second quote he tells us to avoid high sugar fruits if we suffer from insulin resistance.

The bottom line

- Fruits are low to medium in the glicemic index, they should be not problematic at all. On the contrary, if may affect insulin in some people. If we agree with dr. Cordain thesis, most of acne sufferers have any kind of insulin resistance, which means fruit should be eaten in moderation.

- Some people like the guy from "clear for life blog" and Brandon, known here in acne.org and owner of paleoapproach.org, claim that too much fructuose affect their skin in a negative way.

- Every body is different, some people get clear eating tons of fruit, avoiding vegetables just like the Wai diet. Others do the opposite, more vegetables and less fruit. There's not a definit guide of the dietary cure for acne, thats why experimenting with fruits and our skin should be the best to do, try with low-glicemic fruits such as peaches, berries, etc.

Edited by Chestercool, 08 December 2011 - 02:41 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users