Photo

Experiences With Naturopaths Or Colonics?

natural naturopath colonics colon cleansing low carb

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 Ukulala

Ukulala

Towtally Ossum

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 06 December 2011 - 10:59 AM

Hello, friends!

The long(er):
I recently went to see a Naturopath in town. As I am 24 and have been battling with acne off and on for years, I'm getting a bit tired of being chained to this topical or that topical and have been wanting to attempt a more natural and holistic approach to acne. This doctor has a background in "traditional" or "western" medicine, but now practices naturopathy, holistic healing, and colonics.

So we did some blood work, and lo! my triglycerides are INSANELY high (i've known that, actually), along with my cholesterol. D'oh! Dr. Ayala has determined that it's my liver that really needs some flushing, and I've started on a week-long simple fast leading up to a colon cleansing on Monday.

I know people have differing views and opinions on colon cleansing, but I really think this will be beneficial for me. I've been feeling like doing a cleanse for a while now.

After the cleanse, he's going to start me on a strict diet of low carb and I'm not sure what all -- but we'll work together on it -- I'm in favor. I think it'll be a good restart for my system.

The short:
I'm curious what your experiences are with naturopaths? Have any of you done a colon cleansing? How did it go for you? Did you feel it was beneficial?

Thanks so much, have a great day!

Edited by Ukulala, 06 December 2011 - 04:45 PM.

#2 borie88

borie88

Getting there

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 December 2011 - 11:34 AM

i dont think anything is wrong with meat. where is the protein coming from? soy? nuts would be way better than soy, but watch the omega 6's. If you do a colon cleanse, take some probiotics to get some good bacteria in there

#3 chunkylard

chunkylard

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 December 2011 - 11:36 AM

How do you do high protein, but also low-carb and no meat? Shakes?

#4 Ukulala

Ukulala

Towtally Ossum

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 06 December 2011 - 04:45 PM

Beans and quinoa provides lots of protein -- but I don't know if that's the exact diet. I'd rather not get too caught up in that; he's going to work with me to find a good diet. I'm just asking about experiences with naturopaths.

And I stay away from soy. Meat isn't bad; I just don't eat much of it. But as I said -- here, I'll edit it to reflect my lack of knowledge on the exact diet.

#5 sepsi

sepsi

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6
About Me

Posted 08 December 2011 - 02:44 AM

I'm not sure what I can say about any 'healing art' that mandates practitioners to study homeopathy, a rankest form of quackery and magical thinking there is.

Naturopathy is a mishmash of various alternative and natural healing methods, many (if not most) have been studied and showed to have no effect beyond placebo. I'm not sure what more I can say about naturopahts and naturopathy...

#6 FaceValues

FaceValues

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 16
About Me

Achievements

Posted 08 December 2011 - 11:32 AM

I'm not sure what I can say about any 'healing art' that mandates practitioners to study homeopathy, a rankest form of quackery and magical thinking there is.

Naturopathy is a mishmash of various alternative and natural healing methods, many (if not most) have been studied and showed to have no effect beyond placebo. I'm not sure what more I can say about naturopahts and naturopathy...

I can say they're better than doctors but each individual is the best at taking care of themselves. You are your body's primary physician.

#7 CocnutCaramel

CocnutCaramel

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 08 December 2011 - 02:52 PM

I did a colonic aobut 2 1/2 years ago, and I thought it was a really cool experience. It was during my Raw foods era, and colonics are recommended by a lot of the "gurus" within that lifestyle. The day after i'd had it my skin was super super smooth and lots of comodogenic (or however that's spelled) acne just vanished.

If would do it again I'd make sure to have more probiotic stuff afterwards, and really do some serious green juicing the following weeks to get the most out of it. And make sure you don't plan to do anything the rest of that day - it's quite tiring and I spent most of that day in bed, resting.

#8 Ukulala

Ukulala

Towtally Ossum

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 09 December 2011 - 09:51 AM

I find this quite silly, as some homeopathic and natural remedies have been what helped me the most in my life. I by no means discount Western medicine, but our current medical system in America has gotten to the point of "shove a pill in it and it'll get better. If it's bad, up the dosage. Next?" and I am *extremely* tired of that.

So before you discount all naturopathy as "quackery," perhaps you should look into it a bit further. I'd also be very intrigued to see these studies you're espousing.

I can say they're better than doctors but each individual is the best at taking care of themselves. You are your body's primary physician.

Thumbs up to that; we are our own best doctor.
That being said, sometimes we need a guide when we get lost or confused by what we need.
The combination of the naturopath and my own intense research is what has helped me best; made me realize what caused my most recent flare-up (like NOTHING i had ever seen before!!!) was the antidepressant i was on for years! Whoda thunk.

But I digress. Thanks for your input.

I did a colonic aobut 2 1/2 years ago, and I thought it was a really cool experience. It was during my Raw foods era, and colonics are recommended by a lot of the "gurus" within that lifestyle. The day after i'd had it my skin was super super smooth and lots of comodogenic (or however that's spelled) acne just vanished.

If would do it again I'd make sure to have more probiotic stuff afterwards, and really do some serious green juicing the following weeks to get the most out of it. And make sure you don't plan to do anything the rest of that day - it's quite tiring and I spent most of that day in bed, resting.

Thanks! I appreciate hearing of your experience. I suppose all I can do at this point is go through with it and see what happens. :P