Photo

Bone Broths/stock Help?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

#21 tim12

tim12

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:56 PM

I bought some beef bones for broth and maybe to try giving to my dog raw, so, Ill put one in the freezer before giving it to him. 

Now, I really don't want to brown or roast them first.  One. its' too warm for the oven, although a front is coming thursday I think. Maybe later.  And I don't want to wash a greasy cooked on pan. Also, I've noticed that I don't care for chicken/turkey broth made from carcasses of rotisserie or  roasted birds. I much prefer broth from raw chicken parts simply boiled.

Also, i don't really like beef broth.  I do like the beef  broths like they use to make Pho.  I don't think they brown whatever they use. Tendons?. It doesn't look or taste like it.

Anyone have an opinion on what difference it will make if I don't brown the bones.

The browning is the glycation/caramelization of the sugar present in the bones, so it does impact the flavor, but I don't know if it will impact anything nutritionally, though I imagine not. I've had my fair share of beef based pho, and I think one of the most important things is a broth that has the bones/joints simmering for at least 8 hours. Equally important to the unique flavor profile is the cinnamon, star anise, cloves, fennel, cardamom, coriander seeds, and fresh herbs that come along with it that really compliment the umami flavor of the slowly made beef broth. I haven't really experimented with the proper ratio of those spices, but I know most Asian grocers sell pre-made pho spice packets that you could use initially to experiment with.

#22 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:32 AM

I bought some beef bones for broth and maybe to try giving to my dog raw, so, Ill put one in the freezer before giving it to him. 

Now, I really don't want to brown or roast them first.  One. its' too warm for the oven, although a front is coming thursday I think. Maybe later.  And I don't want to wash a greasy cooked on pan. Also, I've noticed that I don't care for chicken/turkey broth made from carcasses of rotisserie or  roasted birds. I much prefer broth from raw chicken parts simply boiled.

Also, i don't really like beef broth.  I do like the beef  broths like they use to make Pho.  I don't think they brown whatever they use. Tendons?. It doesn't look or taste like it.

Anyone have an opinion on what difference it will make if I don't brown the bones.

The browning is the glycation/caramelization of the sugar present in the bones, so it does impact the flavor, but I don't know if it will impact anything nutritionally, though I imagine not. I've had my fair share of beef based pho, and I think one of the most important things is a broth that has the bones/joints simmering for at least 8 hours. Equally important to the unique flavor profile is the cinnamon, star anise, cloves, fennel, cardamom, coriander seeds, and fresh herbs that come along with it that really compliment the umami flavor of the slowly made beef broth. I haven't really experimented with the proper ratio of those spices, but I know most Asian grocers sell pre-made pho spice packets that you could use initially to experiment with.

I didn't brown it. And I really don't think they do when making pho. Most of tose spices are in Chinese 5spice powder.
Status: Clear after 30 years. Wow, I guess it's been 6 years, now.

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

When you eat stuff, Stuff Happens!