Photo

Candida A Hoax?

candida acne food intolerance blood test allergy gluten probiotic

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
30 replies to this topic

#21 Balance Bird

Balance Bird

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 November 2011 - 05:39 AM

No i'm denying the fact that yeast becomes a uncontrollable rouge yeast that takes over and must be starved in order to get rid of it.. like it's some pathogenic organism inside of us. Anyone who believes in candida (in the traditional internet lore sense) is the uneducated ones. You clearly have no grasp as to how the gut imbalance occurs, and how the damage is done. You dont have to do anything but balance your body and repair your gut, everything comes down to gut environment. You can do it with a high carbohydrate diet.. which pretty much slaps every candida rule right across the mouth. I feel bad that you got sucked into the BS that is candida. It's a homeopaths wet dream..

So how do I repair my gut!? Once I do this, I can introduce perhaps foods I was intolerant too, and my body will not be "broken." OH wow! Moonbase you are like a dream come true! I knew that this could be possible, and you are living proof! Show me are magical ways! I got some dates, high in fiber, natural fruits with sugar, and I love eating them! I am going to begin to consume far more fruits! I suspect I am probably intolerant to soy, but it's only in a few products, but it's probably not helping me much. I shall have to cut it out. I was so excited when I found soy yogurt and gluten, dairy free bars, but they have sigh. Alas repairing my gut and disproving the candida hoax is in action!

What should my healing meal plan be? Ima dig through your page like the creeper that I am!

Edited by Crystaltheparislover, 27 November 2011 - 05:55 AM.

#22 Balance Bird

Balance Bird

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 November 2011 - 08:36 AM

How about goat's milk and honey? Can I have these? I don't understand why goat's milk is acceptable. Doesn't it still contain hormones for a baby goat that would compromise out bodies? People seem to tolerate it so well though, it seems to help acne not cause it...

What about beans and starches? Since I am getting all my calories from fruits, and veggies, are starches now acceptable? I am not going to get a lot of fat and protien, because well the nomadic didn't so why should we?

#23 myheartsholistic

myheartsholistic

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 November 2011 - 03:32 PM

I ate a high starch diet - I consumed about 500grams of fruit and starch (mostly from sweet potatoes, yucca, and taro). If you have aids or going through chemo it becomes pathogenic perhaps. but when it boils down to it candida is not the issue, gut environment is. I'm the one who brought GAPS to light here.

So have you fixed your gut? Can you eat any food and experience no symptoms? Judging by your posts I still think you're in recovery...

PS. Candida is a hoax!!! Sells lots of probiotics and anti candida therapies though..

So you agree that candida can become pathogenic and effect the gut environment. We will leave it at that. I wanted to respond to you the last time you asked me this question but I couldn't find were you posted it. I am able to eat all the foods I like to eat without sypmtoms. I had pretty severe acne as well as auto immune issues that have been remedied through the GAPS DIET. I have had clear skin for well over a few years now although my skin clearing came about as I started changing the foods I consumed to focusing more on meats and veggies and probiotics even before I started the Gaps diet. The GAPS diet has brought my healing to the next step by introducing bone broths and the raw probiotics. I have been posting about the GAPS diet and SCD diet since I first came in these boards, due to the high amount of people who have been healed by it. Have you read the books yet? I have as I have been following this plan for almost a year now, they are extremely accurate pertaining to the microbes in the gut and the causes of gut dysbiosis. How many people do you know who have been cured of illness as well as acne using a high starch/ high fructose diet? I am very interested in the numbers on that one. If you google GAPS DIET there are thousands upon thousands of people doing the diet who have achieved complete healing, there are yahoo groups on it, chat rooms, blogs, recipe sites, books and medical discussions. How many people are out there that you know of that have been healed using the high starch method? I just haven't seen the research on it and the scientific studies showing that it heals the gut. I would be interested to read the books if there are any.

No i'm denying the fact that yeast becomes a uncontrollable rouge yeast that takes over and must be starved in order to get rid of it.. like it's some pathogenic organism inside of us. Anyone who believes in candida (in the traditional internet lore sense) is the uneducated ones. You clearly have no grasp as to how the gut imbalance occurs, and how the damage is done. You dont have to do anything but balance your body and repair your gut, everything comes down to gut environment. You can do it with a high carbohydrate diet.. which pretty much slaps every candida rule right across the mouth. I feel bad that you got sucked into the BS that is candida. It's a homeopaths wet dream..

So how do I repair my gut!? Once I do this, I can introduce perhaps foods I was intolerant too, and my body will not be "broken." OH wow! Moonbase you are like a dream come true! I knew that this could be possible, and you are living proof! Show me are magical ways! I got some dates, high in fiber, natural fruits with sugar, and I love eating them! I am going to begin to consume far more fruits! I suspect I am probably intolerant to soy, but it's only in a few products, but it's probably not helping me much. I shall have to cut it out. I was so excited when I found soy yogurt and gluten, dairy free bars, but they have sigh. Alas repairing my gut and disproving the candida hoax is in action!

What should my healing meal plan be? Ima dig through your page like the creeper that I am!

Keep us posted once you start on the high starch and fruit diet, I would love to hear your success! :)

#24 moonbase

moonbase

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 November 2011 - 04:52 PM

Read my thread through on "the real reason you have acne"

Food and western disease is a wonderful book.

So you're skin cleared years ago but you said you've been following the diet for a year? I'm confused. When you said foods that you want does that mean you can't consume high GI foods, or high starch foods without symptoms?

It can become a problem if you have AIDS or are going through chemo, and only in such situations where the immune system is completely decimated. What you fail to understand is that to fix your body you do not have to address the microbial imbalance you just have to address the body. When the body is properly nourished the condition in the digestive tract normalizes and the proper balance is restored - Plain and simple. I have not read the GAPS book but I don't imagine it contains much I dont already know.

To fix the gut you need to nourish the body, there are many ways to go about this. You honestly don't seem to well versed in the nutritional ways, you seem like you've read a few books on holistic medicine rather then delving into how the body works. That's a good place to start.

#25 myheartsholistic

myheartsholistic

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 November 2011 - 06:05 PM

So you're skin cleared years ago but you said you've been following the diet for a year? I'm confused. When you said foods that you want does that mean you can't consume high GI foods, or high starch foods without symptoms?

It can become a problem if you have AIDS or are going through chemo, and only in such situations where the immune system is completely decimated. What you fail to understand is that to fix your body you do not have to address the microbial imbalance you just have to address the body. When the body is properly nourished the condition in the digestive tract normalizes and the proper balance is restored - Plain and simple. I have not read the GAPS book but I don't imagine it contains much I dont already know.

To fix the gut you need to nourish the body, there are many ways to go about this. You honestly don't seem to well versed in the nutritional ways, you seem like you've read a few books on holistic medicine rather then delving into how the body works. That's a good place to start.

If you read my post clearly you'd understand. I said my skin started to clear prior to starting the GAPS diet as I had basically changed my diet to a very similar diet to the gaps diet, such as eating meats and veggies and staying away from high starch foods/processed foods etc. The gaps diet (if you read my post) brought my healing to a further level healing me of not only acne but auto immune issues as well.

Yes, you are right you know everything so I am sure there isn't anything you could gain from a Dr and Nutritionist that has healed thousands upon thousands of people of true digestive problems not simply acne. As you have already exhausted your time looking into the Weston Price Research. This is so arrogant. How old are you? Seriously? You are blowing off years of research, because you know more then they do? What exactly is your position? Are you a certified MD? A med student? Nutritionist? Holistic practitioner? I am not sure what provides you with the higher level of learning than the greats of our time with no credit back to any of the books or research you have done.
To answer your question, I can eat any foods I like including sweet potatoes, yes. I am continuing on the Gaps diet for the next year though (so I don't eat them) as I have my children on the diet. Dr Natasha Cambpell Mcbride has years of research under her belt as well as being a medical Dr and nutritionist. But I can see why you would feel you know more than her, due to your credentials and all. She goes into extensively the gut flora and how nutrition and digestion occur and which foods are digestible versus not digestible for those with a damaged gut. Contrary to what you think as she believes Candida can cause a great problem in the gut environment. Here is a quote from her book...........

"So if the beneficial bacteria in the gut are damaged and are not functioning as they should, then the, "walls of the city" are not protected very well, which is a typical situation in a GAPS gut. Without the protection the gut wall is open to invasion by anything that comes along; a a virus from vaccination or the environment, a ubiquitous fungus such as candida albicans, various bacteria and parasites and toxic substances, all of which are very capable of damaging our digestive system and causing a chronic inflammation in its walls.

Lets talk about carbohydrates......
"all carbohydrates are made of tiny molecules, called monosaccharides. There are many of them. The most common ones are glucose, fructose, and galactose. These monosaccharides or monosugars can easily penetrate the gut lining; they do not need digestion. Galactose is found in soured milk products, like yoghurt. Monosugars from fruit and some vegetables are the easiest carbohydrates for us to digest and should be the main form of carbohydrate in the diet for any person with a digestive disorder.

The next size carbohydrates are disacchardies or double sugars, made out o two molecules of monosaccaharides. The most common ones are sucrose (common table sugar), lactose (milk sugar), and maltose from digestion of starch. These double sugars cannot be absorbed without quite a bit of work on the part of the enteroytes. The tiny hairs (microvilli) on the surface of enterocytes, called the brush border, produces enzymes called dissacharidases, which break down the double sugars into monosaccharides to be absorbed. This is where the biggest problem lies for people with digestive disorders. The sick enterocytes lose their ability to produce brush border enzymes. As a result, double sugars, like sucrose, milk sugar lactose and products of starch digestion cannot be split into monosugars, and hence cannot be absorbed. They stay in the gut becoming major food for pathogenic bacteria, viruses, CANDIDA and other fungi, getting converted into a river of toxic substances which damage the gut wall even further and poison the whole body. Deficiencies in dissacharides almost always accompany all sorts of digestive disorders. Recent studies performed by DR K Horvath in Maryland University and DR T Buie in Harvard confirmed these deficiencies in those with gut dysbiosis.

So double sugars or dissacharides have to be out of the diet for those with digestive disorders as not to feed abnormal flora and to allow the villi time to recover by shedding off sick enterocytes and building a layer of healthy ones.

Now in response to your take on a high starch diet............

"We have mentioned maltose- the result of STARCH digestion. Apart from sugar (sucrose) starch is the main form of carbohydrates we consume. All grains and some root vegetables (potato, yams, sweet potato, jerusalem artichoke, cassava) are very rich in starch. Starch is made of huge molecules with hundreds of monosugars connected into long strands with many branches. Digestion of starch requires quite a bit of work on the part of the digestive system and apparently even in healthy people, due to its complex structure, a lot of starch goes undigested. Undigested starch provides a perfect food for pathogenic flora in th gut, allowing it to thrive and produce toxins."

"Whatever starch does get digested, the result of this digestion is molecules of maltose. Maltose is a double sugar which cannot be absorbed without being split up into monosugars by the enterocytes. In a person with abnormal gut flora enterocytes are not able to split double sugars, so maltose goes undigested, unabsorbed and falls prey to the abnormal microbes. To allow the enterocytes to recover and to stop feeding abnormal gut flora, starch has to be out of the diet for those with digestive disorders. It means no grains or anything made out of them and no starchy vegetables. Clinical practice shows that when the gut has given a long enough period without the double sugars and starch, it has a good chance of recovery. Once this recovery takes place, the person can start to have grains and starchy vegetables again without any ill effect."

You must not have had very serious issues (not to bad of a gut environment to start) for you to be able to eat a high starch diet. But as not everyones gut flora is the same, this can be very bad advice for others out there. I don't think the book you mentioned would interest me due to my feelings on Darwin and evolution in general. But it is interesting to see what our history of food and eating habits where.

Edited by myheartsholistic, 27 November 2011 - 06:19 PM.

#26 Vanbelle

Vanbelle

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 27 November 2011 - 06:16 PM

If you read my post clearly you'd understand. I said my skin started to clear prior to starting the GAPS diet as I had basically changed my diet to a very similar diet to the gaps diet, such as eating meats and veggies and staying away from high starch foods/processed foods etc. The gaps diet (if you read my post) brought my healing to a further level healing me of not only acne but auto immune issues as well.

Yes, you are right you know everything so I am sure there isn't anything you could gain from a Dr and Nutritionist that has healed thousands upon thousands of people of true digestive problems not simply acne. As you have already exhausted your time looking into the Weston Price Research. This is so arrogant. How old are you? Seriously? You are blowing off years of research, because you know more then they do? What exactly is your position? Are you a certified MD? A med student? Nutritionist? Holistic practitioner? I am not sure what provides you with the higher level of learning than the greats of our time with no credit back to any of the books or research you have done.
To answer your question, I can eat any foods I like including sweet potatoes, yes. I am continuing on the Gaps diet for the next year though (so I don't eat them) as I have my children on the diet. Dr Natasha Cambpell Mcbride has years of research under her belt as well as being a medical Dr and nutritionist. But I can see why you would feel you know more than her, due to your credentials and all. She goes into extensively the gut flora and how nutrition and digestion occur and which foods are digestible versus not digestible for those with a damaged gut. Contrary to what you think as she believes Candida can cause a great problem in the gut environment. Here is a quote from her book...........

"So if the beneficial bacteria in the gut are damaged and are not functioning as they should, then the, "walls of the city" are not protected very well, which is a typical situation in a GAPS gut. Without the protection the gut wall is open to invasion by anything that comes along; a a virus from vaccination or the environment, a ubiquitous fungus such as candida albicans, various bacteria and parasites and toxic substances, all of which are very capable of damaging our digestive system and causing a chronic inflammation in its walls.

"all carbohydrates are made of tiny molecules, called monosaccharides. There are many of them. The most common ones are glucose, fructose, and galactose. These monosaccharides or monosugars can easily penetrate the gut lining; they do not need digestion. Galactose is found in soured milk products, like yoghurt. Monosugars from fruit and some vegetables are the easiest carbohydrates for us to digest and should be the main form of carbohydrate in the diet for any person with a digestive disorder.

The next size carbohydrates are disacchardies or double sugars, made out o two molecules of monosaccaharides. The most common ones are sucrose (common table sugar), lactose (milk sugar), and maltose from digestion of starch. These double sugars cannot be absorbed without quite a bit of work on the part of the enteroytes. The tiny hairs (microvilli) on the surface of enterocytes, called the brush border, produces enzymes called dissacharidases, which break down the double sugars into monosaccharides to be absorbed. This is where the biggest problem lies for people with digestive disorders. The sick enterocytes lose their ability to produce brush border enzymes. As a result, double sugars, like sucrose, milk sugar lactose and products of starch digestion cannot be split into monosugars, and hence cannot be absorbed. They stay in the gut becoming major food for pathogenic bacteria, viruses, CANDIDA and other fungi, getting converted into a river of toxic substances which damage the gut wall even further and poison the whole body. Deficiencies in dissacharides almost always accompany all sorts of digestive disorders. Recent studies performed by DR K Horvath in Maryland University and DR T Buie in Harvard confirmed these deficiencies in those with gut dysbiosis.

So double sugars or dissacharides have to be out of the diet for those with digestive disorders as not to feed abnormal flora and to allow the villi time to recover by shedding off sick enterocytes and building a layer of healthy ones.

"We have mentioned maltose- the result of STARCH digestion. Apart from sugar (sucrose) starch is the main form of carbohydrates we consume. All grains and some root vegetables (potato, yams, sweet potato, jerusalem artichoke, cassava) are very rich in starch. Starch is made of huge molecules with hundreds of monosugars connected into long strands with many branches. Digestion of starch requires quite a bit of work on the part of the digestive system and apparently even in healthy people, due to its complex structure, a lot of starch goes undigested. Undigested starch provides a perfect food for pathogenic flora in th gut, allowing it to thrive and produce toxins."

"Whatever starch does get digested, the result of this digestion is molecules of maltose. Maltose is a double sugar which cannot be absorbed without being split up into monosugars by the enterocytes. In a person with abnormal gut flora enterocytes are not able to split double sugars, so maltose goes undigested, unabsorbed and falls prey to the abnormal microbes. To allow the enterocytes to recover and to stop feeding abnormal gut flora, starch has to be out of the diet for those with digestive disorders. It means no grains or anything made out of them and no starchy vegetables. Clinical practice shows that when the gut has given a long enough period without the double sugars and starch, it has a good chance of recovery. Once this recovery takes place, the person can start to have grains and starchy vegetables again without any ill effect."

You must not have had very serious issues (not to bad of a gut environment to start) for you to be able to eat a high starch diet. But as not everyones gut flora is the same, this can be very bad advice for others out there. I don't think the book you mentioned would in my mind provide good research since I am a creationist and do not believe in evolution.

I've heard a lot of credible people highly endorse a variety of safe starches before even touching fibrous vegetables. Thanks for the info, as I'll be double checking all your sources for my own research.

#27 moonbase

moonbase

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 November 2011 - 06:18 PM

Wow that was a long post.. apparently you miss my point. First off.. Starch is very easily digested, actually it's digested faster than fruit and vegetables. Amylase in your saliva can digest it within you mouth producing a sweet taste... The only starch that reaches the colon is resistant starch which is another form.

Secondly. You failed to understand that I am refuting candida, and all of the quackery that surrounds it. I do not refute the GAPS diet either - Why the heck do you think I started a thread about it??? I am simply stating that you must realise there are more ways than one to fix a digestive disorder - and that if you do some more research you will find this too.

So yea...

Let me re-iterate the foundation of my point - you do not treat the microbial imbalance you treat the body and the body restores balance.

Edited by moonbase, 27 November 2011 - 06:29 PM.

#28 Balance Bird

Balance Bird

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 November 2011 - 06:23 PM

Holy shit! You guys know what you are talking about. I don't see hwo nature could be killing us. Starches are natural, processed sugar...not so much. The candida restrictive diet does not allow for proper nutrition. Also, with addressing food intolerances, I wish there was an easier way to weed out food intolerances, like with somone who gets cysts from oranges, how in the world would you pinpoint it to that exactly... A wicked strict elimination diet I suppose.

Anyways, my doctor hates me, and I have to prove what test and why I want an intolerance test. So, for now I am just sticking to my no gluten, corrupt meat, no dairy diet. Seriously I am starving guys. I am 18 and don't know what to eat in a household of sick American eating people. I just caved in and had some soy yogurt. I mean soy in large amounts is bad... It's naturally occurring right? Blah, I bet most people aren't supposed to eat soy either. Not in our genes.

I don't understand how we quite got broken in the first place Moony? Can you explain this?
And how do we go about getting proper nutrition, without further damaging our bodies? Like I thought soy was healthy, but it's not.

Sigh, an elimination diet is probably the best route. But I hate that zits take days to form. Gosh, why is this so difficult!?

Wow that was a long post.. apparently you miss my point. First off.. Starch is very easily digested, actually it's digested faster than fruit and vegetables. Amylase in your saliva can digest it within you mouth producing a sweet taste... The only starch that reaches the colon is resistant starch which is another form.

Secondly. You failed to understand that I am refuting candida, and all of the quackery that surrounds it. I do not refute the GAPS diet either - Why the heck do you think I started a thread about it??? I am simply stating that you must realise there are more ways than one to fix a digestive disorder - and that if you do some more research you will find this too.

So yea...

Let me re-iterate the foundation of my point - you do not treat the microbial imbalance you treat the body and the body restores balance.

You must not have had very serious issues (not to bad of a gut environment to start) for you to be able to eat a high starch diet. But as not everyones gut flora is the same, this can be very bad advice for others out there. I don't think the book you mentioned would interest me due to my feelings on Darwin and evolution in general. But it is interesting to see what our history of food and eating habits where.

Holy shit! You guys know what you are talking about. I don't see hwo nature could be killing us. Starches are natural, processed sugar...not so much. The candida restrictive diet does not allow for proper nutrition. Also, with addressing food intolerances, I wish there was an easier way to weed out food intolerances, like with somone who gets cysts from oranges, how in the world would you pinpoint it to that exactly... A wicked strict elimination diet I suppose.

#29 chunkylard

chunkylard

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 November 2011 - 04:29 AM

Moonbase, google "opportunistic pathogen."

A candida diet definitely allows for more than adequate nutrition. Maybe if you only eat shit and you never eat outside of your comfort zone and the only vegetables you know are spinach, carrots and broccoli, maybe then your diet won't be varied enough. But there's a thousand and one foods you can eat on the candida diet. When was the last time you had an endive?

You don't see how nature could be killing us? Why, then, are we capable of getting cancer? Why do our bodies have the ability to get fat? Why does heart disease exist? Why does hemophilia exist? Why does sickle-cell anemia exist? Why do birth defects exist?

#30 Balance Bird

Balance Bird

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 November 2011 - 05:28 AM

Moonbase, google "opportunistic pathogen."

A candida diet definitely allows for more than adequate nutrition. Maybe if you only eat shit and you never eat outside of your comfort zone and the only vegetables you know are spinach, carrots and broccoli, maybe then your diet won't be varied enough. But there's a thousand and one foods you can eat on the candida diet. When was the last time you had an endive?

You don't see how nature could be killing us? Why, then, are we capable of getting cancer? Why do our bodies have the ability to get fat? Why does heart disease exist? Why does hemophilia exist? Why does sickle-cell anemia exist? Why do birth defects exist?

Chucky, darling, your posts always seem so hostile, it's a bit scary. Anyways, sure...these genetic disorders like hemophelia, but acne is self induced. Man created processed sugar, hormones, and domesticated the cow. We eat more than we should of the wrong foods. I don't even understand how hunter gather's got fat, unless they litterally ate all that raw fleshy meat, and honestly human's aren't adequat hunters. Vegetation and plant fat is more likely. The enviorment sucks because the population is growing and man is manipulating and defying nature to keep us alive, not healthy.

And don't you dare critizise my diet. I asked what is there to eat. I am 18, and have had to fend for myself. Discovering all the vegetables and how to cook them are difficult. I don't have a car to just dance around to all the best grocery stores. Jesus Christ, how rude. Perhaps you should give a little run down of your own daily diet, since you don't have soy, gluten, ior dairy. I am quite intrigued.

I need to make a shopping list, and need to figure out what is out there, that is safe to eat. And quite frankly you have to answered that question, only moony here has.

You're a nice guy chucky, no need to be hostile.

Moony, I don't understand what is wrong with ricee?

So yea...

Moony! What is wrong with rice, even brown rice!? And starches are baddddd, like potatoesss :(? What about beans?

I need a diet plan!

#31 myheartsholistic

myheartsholistic

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 November 2011 - 12:23 PM

So yea...

I'm making a quick stop here as I have a lot of work to do today so I'm going to be unable to go back and forth with you any further on this. I will leave the post by saying. You haven't provided any sources, studies or reference to many of your claims. But I certainly haven't seen the studies or reference to how easily digested high starch vegetables such as sweet potatoes are for those with gut issues. I don't believe there will be a whole lot of really good backed clinical studies on this. With that said. I am not here to argue with anyone, but to simply offer helpful input to those who need healing. I wish all of you the best on your journey ! :)