Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Have I Ruined My Skin? Tca Cross Disaster! *with Pics

29 posts in this topic

hello everyone.

i have been reading these forums for around 3 months and decided to treat myself with the TCA cross method. i was desperate and couldn't find anyone in my area that did it. i read enough and felt like i was educated on the proper application and risks. i bought the tca cross kit from julia's website. i was going to have laser resurfacing but because i still have active acne and am still on medication, i was told i'd have to wait till i was acne free (yeah, never then) and off my medication (oxytetracycline) for 12 months.

i did the cross yesterday afternoon and thought i was very careful and everything was going smooth. i had a nice frost on most scars. some didn't frost. i dipped the toothpick into the tca and applied it to the center of my scars, applying some pressure but not enough to break the skin. on some larger scars, i wiggled the toothpick a little. i did both of my cheeks and a couple i have on my forehead, they looked fine but my cheeks look horrific. i have mostly icepick scars, large scared pores, and a few boxcar scars. i think i have at least one of every acne type scar.

i'm now very depressed and anxious that i've made my scars 100x worse. i know it's only day 1 and i know things get better before they get worse, but this is worrying me. i have toothpick holes where my scars are, the toothpick has burned a different scar into my face. sad.png i'm very pale and my face is red raw. is this normal? it's hard to explain, so i've added some pictures (horrific, i know) i took them in harsh lightening so you can see the damage clearly. i honestly didn't think my skin could get any worse. is there any hope that this will heal? i'm not using anything on it, trying to just leave it be.

post-162779-0-75697500-1322059520_thumb.

post-162779-0-49570700-1322059534_thumb.

post-162779-0-76571400-1322059558_thumb.

post-162779-0-04295700-1322059702_thumb.

post-162779-0-75697500-1322059520_thumb.

post-162779-0-49570700-1322059534_thumb.

post-162779-0-76571400-1322059558_thumb.

post-162779-0-04295700-1322059702_thumb.

I do TCA peels once a month (a diluted 20%). I try not to get the frost. I have mild acne so I can't overdue any type of peel. It takes me about 4-5 days to peel using the diluted version. Not sure when you'll start peeling, but the recovery will be a bit longer judging from you pics above. Be patient it's only day one. The redness will take some time to diminish.

Following the Clear Skin Diet:

-Low glycemic, no dairy, no sugars, no refined/processed foods, lots of colorful veggies and lean meats

-8 hours of sleep

-Exercise 5-6 days/week

-Supplements: Vit E, Zinc, Selenium, Chromium, Fish Oil (EPA), EGCG (from green tea extract)

-Talking with friends who suffer with acne: It helps to help others

-Low dose Retin A (.025%) and glycolic toner

Those little holes are from toothpicks? They're quite large. Did you puncture your skin using toothpicks? The redness should go away though.

Those little holes are from toothpicks? They're quite large. Did you puncture your skin using toothpicks? The redness should go away though.

no. i made sure not to. and yes those are from toothpicks. on the first pics, my scars on that cheek were quite large and one was squareish shaped along with some scared pores, the toothpick has totally changed shape of the scar and they all look the same shape, before the tca they were all shaped quite differently. sad.png maybe the 100% was too strong for my sensitive skin?

is this damage permanent or will collagen grow when/if i scab? if so, what should i be looking into to correct it?

I've lost count of how many TCA cross treatments I've had. Your skin is reacting perfectly normal so relax.

You've just put 100% TCA on your scars, of course they'll look bad for a while!

The scabs normally form a few days after treatment and they should darken and then fall off normally within 5-8 days, don't pick!

Oh and once again.... RELAX!

1 person likes this

I have never tried TCA cuz Im still on accutane...Hope everything goes well for you! :)

Gain acne, lose disease. YAY!!!

I fail to see how pouring acid (which removes layers of skin) on already depressed scars will make them any better.

I do TCA peels once a month (a diluted 20%). I try not to get the frost. I have mild acne so I can't overdue any type of peel. It takes me about 4-5 days to peel using the diluted version. Not sure when you'll start peeling, but the recovery will be a bit longer judging from you pics above. Be patient it's only day one. The redness will take some time to diminish.

Why is frosting bad?

I'm serious.

It's normal for the treated areas to look deeper after TCA Cross. There is a layer of TCA on top of your scars, which makes an illusion of worse looking scars.

I fail to see how pouring acid (which removes layers of skin) on already depressed scars will make them any better.

Because it makes the skin repair itself. That is the idea anyway.

TCA is used to remove the very top layers of the skin. It can be very useful in helping acne patients to shed that top layers of skin so sebum can flow more effectively. However, I would never use it at higher doses (leave this to the professionals) and I would never insert any blunt object into my pores. There are plastic sergeons who can help you with improving any scars you have. TCA for home use should not exceed 20%. Frosting is OK, but I personally do not want to shed that much skin since I use Retin A daily (.025%).

Following the Clear Skin Diet:

-Low glycemic, no dairy, no sugars, no refined/processed foods, lots of colorful veggies and lean meats

-8 hours of sleep

-Exercise 5-6 days/week

-Supplements: Vit E, Zinc, Selenium, Chromium, Fish Oil (EPA), EGCG (from green tea extract)

-Talking with friends who suffer with acne: It helps to help others

-Low dose Retin A (.025%) and glycolic toner

There is NO WAY I would do this treatment myself.... leave ur face alone now, don't put ANYTHING on it and let it heal. Drink lots of water, get lots of sleep and stay out of the sun. Also try Zinz and Vitamin C tablets....

Keep us posted!!!

HUGS

hi everyone. tca definitely ruined my already scarred skin. it is so much worse than before. the toothpick like marks are still here and most of my scars expanded. the large pores i treated have turned into icepicks.

i don't know what to do, but i need to get this treated asap because i can't live like i am anymore. i am booked in for CO2 laser resurfacing in a month, but after reading some reviews i'm having second thoughts. i have seen some great before and after pics but there seems to be more bad reviews than good on here. i can't afford to make this any worse.

what treatment would give me a good improvement? (more pics in the harshest light possible to show you all how f**** my skin truly is)...

post-162779-0-24398800-1329729321_thumb.

post-162779-0-97204600-1329729331_thumb.

post-162779-0-24398800-1329729321_thumb.

post-162779-0-97204600-1329729331_thumb.

hi everyone. tca definitely ruined my already scarred skin. it is so much worse than before. the toothpick like marks are still here and most of my scars expanded. the large pores i treated have turned into icepicks.

i don't know what to do, but i need to get this treated asap because i can't live like i am anymore. i am booked in for CO2 laser resurfacing in a month, but after reading some reviews i'm having second thoughts. i have seen some great before and after pics but there seems to be more bad reviews than good on here. i can't afford to make this any worse.

what treatment would give me a good improvement? (more pics in the harshest light possible to show you all how f**** my skin truly is)...

Was this 100% TCA? Also, did you shave the toothpicks down to the right size for each scar?

Desperately trying to turn the state of the Scar Forum around. But I'm just one person.

Occasionally I'll tell you to go to [link removed]. There is no affiliation, there is just simply too much misinformation about needling on this board (and internet in general)

Peer review or get the f*ck out! No folk remedies please.

Was this 100% TCA?

maybe the 100% was too strong for my sensitive skin?

Fail.

Thanks.

Your horrific after TCA skin is still better than my natural scarred skin so don't take it too badly.

Your horrific after TCA skin is still better than my natural scarred skin so don't take it too badly.

it's not a contest...

1 person likes this

it's not a contest...

Nothing said about a contest. Just saying his skin doesn't look bad at all to me. Its supposed to make them feel better.

2 people like this

Hi, I don't know what your skin looked like before the 100%TCA peel,comparing with the processing pics,I think the after are better.

I just noticed you're on a medication, when you are dealing with the medication,it makes you heal slower.That's what my doctor told me.

Now just give its patiences,time heals your skin,don't do anything more in 2 years.

Blessing.

Gain acne, lose disease. YAY!!!

i agree with rachyon that your scars look better in the second set of photos than they did in the first set...i also agree that medication can make you heal slower. the rest of the redness should fade -- but make sure you wear sunscreen or protect your face from the sun fully until it does.

i also think that CO2 is a bad idea at this point -- results are always poor on icepicks. although punch excision can be very successful on larger, isolated icepicks (as well as boxcars), when you're treating an area that has several icepicks, TCA cross *is* still your best bet...yet, due to the scary experience you just had after doing it yourself, i'd highly recommend that you consult with a dermatologist or plastic surgeon that has performed the procedure numerous times. depending on where you live, there may be no one local who does it -- if you can't find anyone locally, the nearest major city is your best bet.

btw, TCA cross often takes *several* courses of treatment, spread 2-3 months apart, in order to achieve optimal results...after which, would be the time to seek out CO2 and/or dermabrasion in order to smooth out your skin even further.

just my .02 on the tons of research i've done. good luck. :)

I had TCA cross treatment done about a week ago, my results are scary! After the scabs fell off the scars not only became wider but deeper. Has anyone had this result after using TCA cross? Please tell me that this gets better !!!

I would be ok if they were just wider, I could deal with that, but there is nothing you can do to cover them up with makeup when they are soo deep.

I think they're better on the 2nd set of pics. Remove the redness and your scars are shallower than before =)

1 person likes this