Using Peppermint Tea Or Spearmint Tea As A Natural Anti-Androgen For Acne

saw palmetto

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_mariacne_*

Guest_mariacne_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 21 November 2011 - 10:02 AM

Hello

Has anyone here had any luck drinking Mint Tea as a natural anti-androgen??

I've read some amazing reviews! It sounds like powerful stuff

I can't take prescribed anti-androgens, they cause me to be sick

I tried Zinc, it made me worse

I tried Saw Palmetto - with no difference

I tried a low GI diet, it made me worse

So I'm hoping this will work, I can't believe I haven't heard about it before, it's so cheap

The Mint Leaves are different to the Mint Oil capsules, the Oil has no effect on testosterone

Thanks xx

#2 hotnoodlesoup

hotnoodlesoup

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 November 2011 - 11:17 AM

Hi, I'd like to share my experience with Spearmint/Peppermint tea with you. I have just started drinking mint tea one week ago after I decided that I should do something about my hormonal acne breakout before my period.

After reading that peppermint tea may help lowering testosterone whilst increasing estrogen, I decided to buy a pack of Twinings mint selection which contains a variety of Spearmint and Peppermint tea - Camomile & Spearmint, Peppermint & Eucalyptus, Nettle & Peppermint and Pure Peppermint. I tried out the Spearmint & Camomile tea the night I started. I like a strong brew with any tea so I drink it with the teabag still steeping in the water. The next day, I decided to drink twice a day, once after I woke up and once at night before bed. This time I drank the Spearmint & Camomile during the day, and Peppermint & Eucalyptus at night. The day after, I have noticed that the newer acne that had formed along the side of my face had started to calm down, the pain had reduced and the acne begun to shrink. To me, this was a sign of healing.

Feeling excited about the improvement, I decided to drink 3 times per day - once after I woke up, once in the evening and once before bed at night. The next day I have noticed a significant reduction in sebum production on my face. I no longer have that sticky and oily feeling 4hours after washing my face. It had somehow stabilised the sebum production on my face. My face also feels much softer than before despite not using any moisturiser for a month and my skin had just about to recover from the exfoliation effect caused by using benzoyl peroxide. I used to have fatigue and my head used to feel hazy all day. My right eye used to have a horrible bulging feeling. All these symptoms mentioned have simply vanished within 3 days of drinking spearmint/peppermint tea.

To conclude, my initial experience with spearmint/peppermint tea was very positive indeed. This is the 10th day after I started drinking it and my older acne nodules are drying out and healing. I still get 2 or 3 small papules along my jaw line and in cheek area, but they heal very fast and do not pose a big problem. Around 2 weeks before my period, I would always get huge breakout of acne nodules. My period have always been irregular since around 4 years ago, and it is always late, never early. I drank this tea to test its effect on my hormonal acne, and so far so good. I am not taking any other oral supplements or medication and I am monitoring my progress to see whether peppermint tea will regulate my menstrual cycle or have an effect on my hair loss.

I do not know whether Peppermint tea will have a better potency than Spearmint, but 20/25 bags in my mint selection are Peppermint. (I have just bought a box of Pure Peppermint teabags)

An interesting read: Detection of estrogenic activity in herbal teas by in vitro reporter assays

Best of luck with your battle against acne.

Edited by hotnoodlesoup, 30 November 2011 - 03:56 PM.

#3 Acne gone

Acne gone

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 December 2011 - 01:03 PM

Wow, that's really interesting, it's amazing how such natural things can help!

For everyone reading this, please read my success story after 12 years of suffering from acne due to hormone imbalance. I'm not trying to sell you anything either.

I'd like to share my story of acne and tell you that I think I have finally found a cheap and natural way of controlling my hormones. I am a 32 year old woman and have suffered with acne since I was 19. Funnily enough I developed acne not long after cutting out red meat from my diet and sometimes I wonder if this is the reason. Anyway, like all of you, I hated my acne and it got me really down, so I took Dianette for about seven years and then Yasmin for 6. I had breaks in between but my acne always came back after a month or two, families of spots around my chin, lips and sometimes huge ones on my forehead.

About a month ago I came off the pill yet again, mainly because my husband and I want a baby. I thought we could use protection until my body got back to normal. I started taking folic acid (as this is strongly recommended for mums to be) and was terrfied of my acne coming back, so did lots of research on acne forums and found that fish oil (not cod liver oil) is supposed to help regulate oil production. So I bought this too, which made my skin so soft and made me feel great. However, after 2 weeks I woke up with a huge spot on my chin and notoced my skin was really oily and that lots of tiny little spots under my skin were ready to pop up in the usual places.

Frantically I researched more and more and bought some zinc and vitamin B5 (panthenoic acid) the next day. I didn't take mega doses of B5, only 500mg (which is already 8,333% RDA), even though others recommend a mega dose. This is because I only had a few zits so far. The next day my skin was far less oily and since I've been taking this, my acne hasn't come back at all! I have been taking panthenoic acid for tow weeks and my skin is clear. I still have a redd mark from that bog spot on my chin, but so what? I think for anyone who has acne and wants a more natural way of overcoming it should clear their skin first through either taking antibiotics or the pill and while their skin is clear take the following:

Vitamin B5
Fish oil (omega3)
Zinc
(I take Iron with vitamin C and folic acid too, but this is because I am preparing my body for pregnancy and am a pescatarian)

I wouldn't recommend taking more than 500mg of B5 though, maybe better do it how I did. I'm so happy, I've never liked taking the pill, it gives me cellulite, makes me down and physically slower. If you have acne, please take my advice. By the way, you might be thinking my skin is clear because I am pregnant, well I'm not because my period finished today (1 month after stopping the pill).

By the way, if the above works, you'll never have to take medicine for your acne again. Think of how fake the pill is, supplying my body with synthetic hormones for so long, finally I can be normal again and just take the above once a day.

#4 blissful828

blissful828

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 December 2011 - 09:21 PM

Wow, that's really interesting, it's amazing how such natural things can help!

For everyone reading this, please read my success story after 12 years of suffering from acne due to hormone imbalance. I'm not trying to sell you anything either.

I'd like to share my story of acne and tell you that I think I have finally found a cheap and natural way of controlling my hormones. I am a 32 year old woman and have suffered with acne since I was 19. Funnily enough I developed acne not long after cutting out red meat from my diet and sometimes I wonder if this is the reason. Anyway, like all of you, I hated my acne and it got me really down, so I took Dianette for about seven years and then Yasmin for 6. I had breaks in between but my acne always came back after a month or two, families of spots around my chin, lips and sometimes huge ones on my forehead.

About a month ago I came off the pill yet again, mainly because my husband and I want a baby. I thought we could use protection until my body got back to normal. I started taking folic acid (as this is strongly recommended for mums to be) and was terrfied of my acne coming back, so did lots of research on acne forums and found that fish oil (not cod liver oil) is supposed to help regulate oil production. So I bought this too, which made my skin so soft and made me feel great. However, after 2 weeks I woke up with a huge spot on my chin and notoced my skin was really oily and that lots of tiny little spots under my skin were ready to pop up in the usual places.

Frantically I researched more and more and bought some zinc and vitamin B5 (panthenoic acid) the next day. I didn't take mega doses of B5, only 500mg (which is already 8,333% RDA), even though others recommend a mega dose. This is because I only had a few zits so far. The next day my skin was far less oily and since I've been taking this, my acne hasn't come back at all! I have been taking panthenoic acid for tow weeks and my skin is clear. I still have a redd mark from that bog spot on my chin, but so what? I think for anyone who has acne and wants a more natural way of overcoming it should clear their skin first through either taking antibiotics or the pill and while their skin is clear take the following:

Vitamin B5
Fish oil (omega3)
Zinc
(I take Iron with vitamin C and folic acid too, but this is because I am preparing my body for pregnancy and am a pescatarian)

I wouldn't recommend taking more than 500mg of B5 though, maybe better do it how I did. I'm so happy, I've never liked taking the pill, it gives me cellulite, makes me down and physically slower. If you have acne, please take my advice. By the way, you might be thinking my skin is clear because I am pregnant, well I'm not because my period finished today (1 month after stopping the pill).

By the way, if the above works, you'll never have to take medicine for your acne again. Think of how fake the pill is, supplying my body with synthetic hormones for so long, finally I can be normal again and just take the above once a day.

May I know how long you have been off the pill? I came off the pill four months ago, and the last month it was just too much. Small tiny bumps all around my forehead and some weird spots at places which i never get acne (e.g. around my mouth, on my jaw line). i am so freaked out! The spots are gone now, but I am afraid they will come back next month. I have been taking EPO, zinc with contains B5 and loads of other herbs, including some chinese herbs. I'm so upset now....

#5 Acne gone

Acne gone

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 December 2011 - 02:08 PM

I've been off it for 6 weeks but 2 weeks after I could see my acne was about to all come back, as this has happened so many times (every time I've come off the pill), it was getting really oily but after taking B5 all of the oil went away! It's amazing! OK, keep taking B5 but not with other B vitamins because apparently B6 and b12 can make acne worse, so take pure B5, I've hear niacin is good for acne B3, as it makes you 'flush', which opens the pores. If your acne is clear now that's good! I'm not sure whether to recommend omega 3 fish oil to you, it works for me, but I think that's because the B5 breaks it down. You say your zinc contains B5, I wonder if it's enough. I don't mega dose though. You can steam your face every two days to, with a drop of t tree oil. Fingers crossed your acne won't come back now you're on B5.

#6 blissful828

blissful828

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 December 2011 - 07:41 AM

Hello, thanks for taking the time to reply... My story is kinda simliar to yours, but it came back with very little small bumps in small amounts on my forehead. Then it was gone. Thsi is the fourth month and for some reason it is all back. I just checked my supplements and realized there is NO B5! I think I'll go pick it up tomorrow, thanks.

My acne isn't clear now at all. I think it has gotten worse I think. It's so gross... I'm so upset right now :( It's good that your face is good right now :) what kind of supplements r u taking? I have been searching all these different herbs - olive leaf, EPO, zinc, omega 3, burdoch etc etc. But I think I am taking too much!!!

#7 Guest_mariacne_*

Guest_mariacne_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 12 December 2011 - 02:57 AM

I'm glad you guys seem to have things under control! I tried cutting out red meat and taking spearmint/peppermint to no victory - I can only conclude at the moment, and Dr's confirm this - that my acne is not hormonal. But I think anyone who needs an anti-androgen - this is the way to go!

#8 Guest_mariacne_*

Guest_mariacne_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 12 December 2011 - 02:57 AM

Sorry, I don't know why that posted twice or why I can't delete it :(

Edited by mariacne, 12 December 2011 - 02:58 AM.

#9 akko

akko

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 December 2011 - 08:49 AM

Wow, this is really interesting. I'll give it a try and see if it helps- I don't have much acne anymore, but I have really stubborn dandruff and hair shedding, which might be attributed to higher male hormones.

I was reading that 5 cups a day was the dosage they had used in the trials- but does that mean 5 tea bags or 5 cups made from one tea bag? 5 tea bags a day is starting to get a bit much...

#10 Guest_mariacne_*

Guest_mariacne_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 12 December 2011 - 09:05 AM

That was the only trial I saw that used 5 tea bags ( as in 5 separate cups) a day - most trials used 2 tea bags a day (2 separate cups). I would do 3 a day until symptoms disappear then go down to 2, one in the morning and one before bed - good luck! If it doesn't work, it's likely your problem isn't caused by androgens. ,

#11 akko

akko

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 December 2011 - 11:23 PM

Thanks! I'll try that!