Photo

Acne FIGHTING Supplements & Regimens

vitamin vitamins vitamin a vitamin e beta carotene magnesium zinc selenium

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
116 replies to this topic

#21 Ben16

Ben16

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 September 2004 - 02:50 PM

Hmm, since you're a guy perhaps you would do really well with Zinc. Also, you can give the fish oils a shot too. Those two are fairly safe for most people and perhaps it's the kick you need. I tend to buy in powder form, and since you live in Europe, I don't know what brands to reccomend for you, but do any of these sound familar

Oh that's okay. I'm even willing to order from the U.S as long as it's good stuff. As for fish oil, I need Omega 3 Fish Oil Powder form then right? Do you happen to know a website selling that and zinc where I could purchase it? Do you get them online as well? Thanks

#22 Ben16

Ben16

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 September 2004 - 02:53 PM

Oh and speaking of Zinc, you know there was once a theory going that Head& Shoulders hair shampoo clears up back acne as it contains 1% Zinc which is apparently good for acne.

#23 Andrei

Andrei

»(^__^)«

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 September 2004 - 10:22 PM

I hope I am getting it right, but I wanted to take these vitamins from the direct raw source, I might take some these foods for the corresponding beneficial vitamins:

Carrots - Beta Carotene
Cucumber - Pantothenic Acid (B5)

But I heard from others here that carrots cause acne? Any slight truth behind it?

#24 Doberwoman

Doberwoman

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 September 2004 - 10:44 PM

SweetJade, I noticed that you listed turmeric as containing an antiandrogen. This is interesting because I had an Indian friend who said that turmeric is used in a paste with chick pea flour to inhibit hair growth. I never had the patience to try it long enough to get a proper test, but she swore by it. Thanks for a great post!

#25 Ben16

Ben16

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 September 2004 - 01:12 AM

Health From The Sun Ultra 30/20 Fish Oil

Is this a good one? There is also a liquid form, I don't know whether that will give better results or not.

Omega-3 Fish Oils by Olympian Labs - Link

#26 torbosk

torbosk

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 September 2004 - 01:52 AM

Thanks Torbosk - where've you been lately, anyway?!

I was around, not so much on the diet/holistic health forum, because i lost faith in it a bit. Like i said i was taking a lot of supplements, but i still couldnt see much progress, so i lost interest in it. (I also altered my diet: i skipped milk and didnt drink sodas, or anything containing a lot of sugar, i also didnt eat chocolate.)
I was still eating bread , meat, pastas,... So this diet wasnt very strict.
I did see improvement, but not enough to be satisfied.
So i went back to topical treatment. Now i'm using differin, and i'm waiting for it to kick in completely, although i have seen improvement already.

Still, i believe people can see improvements with supplements and diet. It's all about finding the right (the strongest supplements). I think GLA is becoming one of the candidates:
Research on lineolic acid and acne ->too bad they dont have a summary yet

Found this on that other topic i mentioned:
""Then, a herb rarely discussed in acne forums is curcumin/turmeric...It has at least three uses:
- dissolves gallblader stones
- helps the liver detoxification
- is a skin androgen inhibitor ""

He also mentions boswellic acids and ginger as being anti-inflammatory. (block alpha-5-lipoxygenase). Topical aloe vera is also said to do this. (dont know what happens when taken orally).
Quercetin (found in apples) is excellent as well. He also recommends fish oil supplements.

Anyway, i believe that a combination of supplements togheter with some mild topicals can improve your acne more than either one alone. Personnally i think BP isnt the right choice (sorry Dan). Although it is very effective at killing bacteria, it also penetrates our cells and does a lot of damage there, our cells use anti-oxidants (like vit E) to controll this. Maybe retinoids are a better candidate??? The even help your skin to repair DNA-damage.

The main thing (and the hardest) is to find the strongest supplements.

#27 Ben16

Ben16

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 September 2004 - 04:46 AM

SweetJade,

I think I will order Opti Zinc from the following website: http://www.vitacost....FTOKEN=94277419

I read that OptiZinc is the best to get next to Zinc Gluconate. So I think it's a good deal, 10 bucks only, no?

Oh and as for fish oil, I've searched Omega 3 Fish Oil on that website and got so many options that I don't even know which one to choose. Could you perhaps point out the one I need? Link

Thanks.

#28 Ben16

Ben16

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 September 2004 - 06:09 AM

Okay there are three Fish Oil supplements from this NSI brand (same brand opti zinc im planning on buying)

NSI Complete EFA (Fish Oil, GLA, Flax, EPA , DHA) - 180 Softgels - Compare to Atkins Essential Oils

user posted image

Each serving of 3 softgels provides:

user posted image

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NSI DHA Essential Fatty Acids from Fish Oil 275 mg - 60 Softgels

user posted image

Each serving of 2 Softgels provides:

user posted image

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NSI Mega EFA Omega-3 EPA & DHA - 120 Softgels

user posted image

Each serving of 1 softgel provides:

user posted image

----

Sooo... smile.gif

#29 Elixir

Elixir

London

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 September 2004 - 06:38 AM

Hmm, since you're a guy perhaps you would do really well with Zinc. Also, you can give the fish oils a shot too. Those two are fairly safe for most people and perhaps it's the kick you need. I tend to buy in powder form, and since you live in Europe, I don't know what brands to reccomend for you, but do any of these sound familar:

NOW
Twin Labs
Source Naturals
Carlson Labs
Life Extentsion
Neutraceutical Sciences Institute (NSI)
Vitamin Research Products

Anyone know of others that would more specifically be in Europe?

Hi all

Thanks Sweetjade for such an informative post.

Im quite new to this forum and I have been doing research on taking supplements to support the topicals I'm using. I would like to share the recommendations I found online for acne sufferers:

** Take vitamin A, 10,000 - 30,000 IU daily
Vitamin A reduces sebum production and keratin production (Caution: taking mega doses of Vitamin A can cause headaches, fatigue, muscle and joint pain and other side effects. Consult a qualified practitioner before taking mega supplements esp if ur pregnant)

** Take vitamin E, 400 IU daily
Vitamin E is an antioxidant that enhances healing and tissue repair. It prevents cell damage by inhibiting the oxidation of lipids (fats) and the formation of free radicals (Also aids absorption of Vitamin A)

** Take vitamin B6, 50-100 mg daily
Pyridoxine (Vitamin B6) aids in hormone metabolism. Involved in cellular reproduction. Deficiencies have been associated with acne.

** Take Selenium, 200-400 mcg
Selenium encourages tissue elasticity and is a powerful antioxidant.

** Take Chromium supplements, 150-200 mcg daily
Chromium helps boosts the body's ability to break down glucose. Chromium supplements have been shown by researchers to be effective in the treatment of acne. As a causal agent, high blood glucose levels have been linked to acne

** Take Zinc, 30-50 mg daily
Zinc aids in healing of the tissues and helps prevent scarring. It helps prevent acne by regulating the activity of the oil glands. Zinc promotes a healthy immune system and the healing of wounds. It is also an antioxidant which helps to fight and prevent the formation of free radicals. But for every 30mg zinc take 2mg copper. Zincs that have been found effective for acne sufferers: Zinc Gluconate (HealthAid) & Zinc Monomethionine (Opti-Zone)

Other supplements that might help as well:

* Vitamin C (with bioflavinoids) 3,000 - 5,000 mg daily, in divided doses. Promotes immune function and reduces inflammation. Use a buffered type.

* Vitamin D 400 IU daily. Promotes healing and tissue repair.

I hate taking too many pills so I've been looking around for a good multi vitamin that might help me and I found one. I just placed the order for it yesterday so I can't tell you if its effective or not.

Its called ULTIMATE ANTIOXIDANT 120 Capsules by Natrol®

RECOMMENDED USAGE:
Take 2 capsules daily with meals.
SUPPLEMENT FACTS:
Serving Size 2 Capsules
Servings Per Container 120

Ingredient Amt Per Serving:
Vitamin A 10,000 IU
Vitamin C 250 mg
Vitamin E 200 IU
Niacin 40 mg
Calcium 28 mg
Zinc 25 mg
Copper 2 mg
Selenium 125 mcg
Flavonoid Extract from Rose Hips, Turmeric, Bilberry, Hawthorn, Grape, Milk Thistle 200 mg
Spirulina 300 mg
Calendula Powder 50 mg
Artichoke 4:1 Extract 50 mg

Other Ingredients:
Gelatin, Silica, Magnesium Stearate.

Since they don't have chromium I have placed an order for chromium as well.
CHROMIUM PICOLINATE 300 Tablets by Weider®

For Ben and others staying in Europe, you can get this from a few vitamins site. Im from UK and I got it from the Biovea site but I'm sure you can use other sites as well. Here is the link that lists vitamins site in the UK:

http://www.shopping....eyword=vitamins

Some of the sources if you want to read further:

http://www.primev.com/Chromium.htm
http://www.moondrago...rders/acne.html[/URL]
http://healing.about..._acne_0209c.htm[/URL]
http://www.althealth...ments/acne1.php[/URL]
http://www.health911...es/rem_acne.htm[/URL]

#30 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 September 2004 - 07:37 PM

Ben16,
If you noted Elixir mentioned the two best choices of Zinc as Optizinc or Zinc Gluconate so Optizinc should do some good. As for the fish oils, you can pretty much only get them in liquid or liquid gel cap form (unless they mix it in a multiple somehow) so that is what you want to look for. As far as NSI, I took the Complete EFA and well I never took 3 caps a day so who knows. However if you were to pick from this brand I would pic the one that has the most EPA which would be the Mega EFA. Second would be the Complete EFA, but only because it has GLA. Now GLA is 30% more effective against androgen than is EPA so you may want to test out Borage Oil. On the other hand, when you are taking supplemetns its best not to start taking too many at once or you wont know which one is helping you (or making things worse). So the Fish Oil and Zinc sound good, what else were you thinking about? Say, what brands do you have at your local health food stores or online over there?

Bye for now =P

#31 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 September 2004 - 07:45 PM

Elixir,
Thanks for posting more info! That Formula does sound really good. It appears to be a combination of antioxidants and also liver healers....cool =) Considering the foods that I avoid, sometimes it's rare to find good supplement formulas but this would be safe for me at least.

Oh and I agree about taking too many supplements, which is why my diet is my first choice. It got my 99% clear and I don't know what I have to give up to get that 1% but I'm guessing it could easily be solved by me taking R-ALA, NAC and/or Krill Oil. Those are what I've got now for various reasons other than my acne, but I'm only testing the Krill Oil and next week I'll start testing the NAC & then later R-ALA (in powder form and really sulfuring smelling and supposedly tasting so I'll probably capsule them first). Althugh Folic Acid and PABA were no problem to drink down...had a slight fizzy lemon-like flavor. =)

Take care

#32 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 September 2004 - 07:47 PM

QUOTE (Doberwoman @ Sep 14 2004, 10:31 PM)
SweetJade, I noticed that you listed turmeric as containing an antiandrogen.  This is interesting because I had an Indian friend who said that turmeric is used in a paste with chick pea flour to inhibit hair growth.  I never had the patience to try it long enough to get a proper test, but she swore by it.  Thanks for a great post!

he he thanks for that idea. that is one of my ideas which is why I don't mind buying powder forms of stuff. Although lemme tell ya green tea powder smells sweet mixed with water, the taste is ok, but when applied on your skin....stains everything! I'd like to keep my towels & clothes from not being brown, so I'll to work on that one ;-)

#33 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 September 2004 - 08:07 PM

QUOTE (torbosk @ Sep 15 2004, 01:39 AM)
Thanks Torbosk - where've you been lately, anyway?!

I was around, not so much on the diet/holistic health forum, because i lost faith in it a bit. Like i said i was taking a lot of supplements, but i still couldnt see much progress, so i lost interest in it. (I also altered my diet: i skipped milk and didnt drink sodas, or anything containing a lot of sugar, i also didnt eat chocolate.)
I was still eating bread , meat, pastas,... So this diet wasnt very strict.
I did see improvement, but not enough to be satisfied.
So i went back to topical treatment. Now i'm using differin, and i'm waiting for it to kick in completely, although i have seen improvement already.

Still, i believe people can see improvements with supplements and diet. It's all about finding the right (the strongest supplements). I think GLA is becoming one of the candidates:
Research on lineolic acid and acne ->too bad they dont have a summary yet

Found this on that other topic i mentioned:
""Then, a herb rarely discussed in acne forums is curcumin/turmeric...It has at least three uses:
- dissolves gallblader stones
- helps the liver detoxification
- is a skin androgen inhibitor ""

He also mentions boswellic acids and ginger as being anti-inflammatory. (block alpha-5-lipoxygenase). Topical aloe vera is also said to do this. (dont know what happens when taken orally).
Quercetin (found in apples) is excellent as well. He also recommends fish oil supplements.

Anyway, i believe that a combination of supplements togheter with some mild topicals can improve your acne more than either one alone. Personnally i think BP isnt the right choice (sorry Dan). Although it is very effective at killing bacteria, it also penetrates our cells and does a lot of damage there, our cells use anti-oxidants (like vit E) to controll this. Maybe retinoids are a better candidate??? The even help your skin to repair DNA-damage.

The main thing (and the hardest) is to find the strongest supplements.

Yeah, that's hopefully what this thread will yield the answers to. I once did a post where I wrote everything that helped with acne and it was dozens of supplements & herbs. As time went on I learned why they worked and that certain ones did more things than others. So my personal goal is to find the supplement or two that are THE most effective for what they are supposed to do. Yet at the same time I do believe that one should maintain balance by eating "healthier" foods or taking a multiple.

From what I can recall, GLA inhibited 5-alpha reductase by 80%! That's pretty good, BUT people have reported breakouts from taking Flax Seed Oil or Evening Primrose Oil. So it doesn't end with just finding the best, most effect supplements, but also finding their most effective form or source. They say Borage Oil is the best source, but those interested need to make sure they are getting it from a supplier that provides pure, untainted, pesticiide free, organic Borage oil I guess.

I know you've lost faith in your diet, but like you said you were still eating the very foods that most of us end up giving up. Misc. food items (considered allergenic foods) do bother my skin too, but by just avoiding Gluten, that got me 95% clear. When I was taking Spironolactone and Birth Control (and later switched to Avandia) which are like THE best methods for treating androgen hormonal disorders and yet they only yielded 80% decrease of my Free Testosterone levels. That decrease, LOL still wasn't within the normal ranges for women so, despite that I was still breaking out badly 9 months out of the year and only mildly the 3 months. My diet ended my breakout cycle, reduced my oil, shrank my pores (today they are almost invisible), and did a few other things and I'm sure I could do something else to get that last 1% but for now I'm curious to see how effective those supplement studies will be in the real world!

Take care =)

#34 Ben16

Ben16

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 September 2004 - 02:08 AM

Blah! I can't place an order from that site! Means I'll have to look for another brand. Called a few vitamin selling places here and they do have zinc however they're all in tablet forms and different brands. One of them is Solgar, rings a bell? But still, I want powder form or capsules, does any of you guys know where to order optizinc powder online? On another note, have my blood results next week! I've also called my insurance company to ask whether they cover dermatologist bills or not. They've said they cover up to 75% and a maximum ammount of 230 euro which would be perfect for a few visits.However I do need a referral from my doctor. Called her up today, she was not there but they left a note so I'm gonna contact her on Monday to ask about it. God, I so hope she'll give it. I know that derms are not all that but maybe I could do a visit or two.I'll let you know guys.

#35 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 September 2004 - 10:41 PM

Ben16,
How awesome that you have dermatologist coverage. Mine doesn't cover skin conditions, among a few other things (military healthcare was soo nice), so I don't get a derm under insurance. Anyway, regarding the zinc take whatever you can get. Zinc are rather small tablets anyway so you should be able to absorb more of it. Besides, something is better than nothing and I really hope it works out for you.

Take Care =)

P.S. This help any? http://www.vitaminst...ll&Keyword=zinc Check Out Solgars Zinc Citrate Capsules.

If you want an American company, Iherb is good and they'll ship to you http://www.iherb.com/zinc1.html (see optizinc & zinc monomethionine)

Next to vitacost, Vitaminshoppe is my favorite: http://www.vitaminsh...m#international

LEF is also a good company (one day I'll become a member) http://search.lef.or...GT=0&QUERY=zinc

http://www.lef.org/n...ngtips.html#net (international orders)

In Europe:
http://www.worldwide...ul/optizinc.asp
http://www.yournutri...opti_zinc_m.htm
http://www.greensfoo...ocare/pageno=17

#36 Ben16

Ben16

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 September 2004 - 12:43 AM

Hey, thanks so much for all those links!

Just got a phonecall from my doctor, she said I could pick up the referral this afternoon for my derm.Wow, I am so thrilled!! Hmm, the only thing I am still doubting about is, since the insurance company covers any derm as long as you have a referral from the doctor which I do , should i then try and find a new derm in my area (the lady said I could also visit an intern derm at the hospital) or just stick to the one I went to once. The treatment was quite good but after some research I found out that most of her products contain Lanolin which I read is really bad for your skin. But oh well, maybe two treatments won't do any harm.What do you think?

#37 torbosk

torbosk

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 September 2004 - 03:25 AM

Hi there, just wanted to give a little warning:

If you are using products which block DHT and you are female, you
should be very careful. If you become pregnant you can damage the
(male) embryo. I'm not really sure about this, but this product against baldness (finasteride) blocks DHT and they say that it shouldnt be used by women and certainly not by pregnant women.

#38 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 September 2004 - 07:53 AM

Yup, but I believe that's true more so for if you are having males than females. Of course, there are natural supplements that also reduce testosterone or block DHT that doctors have NO control over since some of these treatments are considered food. However, taking most medications are a no no if you are pregnant and that would include certain natural treatments as they can induce a miscarriage. I've no intentions of being pregnant so I'm not concerned, but for anyone that get's pregant, you can always stop taking any of these.

Oh yeah, and there's also one called Duatasteride that they don't even want women to touch! I believe that's because it blocks 99% of DHT Type I & Type II enzymes and can pass through the skin. Although, it also can break some males out slightly, even if they've never had acne before. Testosterone, more so DHT, causes males problems as they get older. So it's unfortunate that they aren't willing to help you guys find a more gentle treatment that you can start using when you get chronic acne, as it can sometimes be connected to future problems if left untreated (internally). The sad thing is that if males are taking a DHT blocker, there Testosterone levels will rise and it will also decrease the amount of estrogen that gets produced (from this increased testosterone). Yet estrogen could still end up being the stronger hormone and males that take, testolactone (anti-estrogen), are just as miserable.

Therefore, it seems that despite the clincal studies that suggest that you can still have a libido with no - less DHT due to the increased tesosterone, males around here are still very sensitive to Spironolactone. 25mg - 100mg of spiro is enough to clear you guys, as women take 2x - 3x that, but it's also enough to....stop that whole thinking of sex 24/7 thing. Some guys minded, but others didn't so I often wonder if part of this is just psychological. Not to mention, if you have already ceased pubertal development, you can take other herbs to boost your libido while taking a DHT blocker.

I don't know, it's a very tricky situation but males (and females) can probably get away with just taking natural anti-androgens such as dietary changes, (B5), NAC, Omega3, etc as I've never heard one that cleared complain about a loss of anything other than raving about having no acne ;-)

#39 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 September 2004 - 08:00 AM

QUOTE(Ben16 @ Sep 20 2004, 12:30 AM)
Hey, thanks so much for all those links!

Just got a phonecall from my doctor, she said I could pick up the referral this afternoon for my derm.Wow, I am so thrilled!! Hmm, the only thing I am still doubting about is, since the insurance company covers any derm as long as you have a referral from the doctor which I do , should i then try and find a new derm in my area (the lady said I could also visit an intern derm at the hospital) or just stick to the one I went to once. The treatment was quite good but after some research I found out that most of her products contain Lanolin which I read is really bad for your skin. But oh well, maybe two treatments won't do any harm.What do you think?

View Post

Your last derm never diagnosed your skin condition, she only gave you some sort of facial treatment (not my area of knowledge)? Perhaps you should go to a different derm to get a 2nd opinion, maybe one that your friends or someone else you know goes to. Of course, let them know what you've tried in that past that didn't work, so that they don't try to give you the same treatments. Also you may want to mention your mother's skin condition as it could be something that you may be prone to as well. Try to conver as many bases as possible, althouugh I'm sure you will. ;-)

#40 sadcaroline

sadcaroline

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 September 2004 - 11:40 AM

jade, you said turmeric has an anti androgen effect when applied to the skin, but if you take turmeric orally does it have an internal anti androgen effect?