Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Acne FIGHTING Supplements & Regimens

118 posts in this topic

SweetJade,

I think I will order Opti Zinc from the following website: http://www.vitacost.com/Store/Products/Pro...FTOKEN=94277419

I read that OptiZinc is the best to get next to Zinc Gluconate. So I think it's a good deal, 10 bucks only, no?

Oh and as for fish oil, I've searched Omega 3 Fish Oil on that website and got so many options that I don't even know which one to choose. Could you perhaps point out the one I need? Link

Thanks.

"We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection. The mystic cords of memory will swell when again touched as surely they will be by the better angels of our nature."

Okay there are three Fish Oil supplements from this NSI brand (same brand opti zinc im planning on buying)

NSI Complete EFA (Fish Oil, GLA, Flax, EPA , DHA) - 180 Softgels - Compare to Atkins Essential Oils

user posted image

Each serving of 3 softgels provides:

user posted image

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NSI DHA Essential Fatty Acids from Fish Oil 275 mg - 60 Softgels

user posted image

Each serving of 2 Softgels provides:

user posted image

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NSI Mega EFA Omega-3 EPA & DHA - 120 Softgels

user posted image

Each serving of 1 softgel provides:

user posted image

----

Sooo... smile.gif

"We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection. The mystic cords of memory will swell when again touched as surely they will be by the better angels of our nature."

Hmm, since you're a guy perhaps you would do really well with Zinc. Also, you can give the fish oils a shot too. Those two are fairly safe for most people and perhaps it's the kick you need. I tend to buy in powder form, and since you live in Europe, I don't know what brands to reccomend for you, but do any of these sound familar:

NOW

Twin Labs

Source Naturals

Carlson Labs

Life Extentsion

Neutraceutical Sciences Institute (NSI)

Vitamin Research Products

Anyone know of others that would more specifically be in Europe?

Ben16,

If you noted Elixir mentioned the two best choices of Zinc as Optizinc or Zinc Gluconate so Optizinc should do some good. As for the fish oils, you can pretty much only get them in liquid or liquid gel cap form (unless they mix it in a multiple somehow) so that is what you want to look for. As far as NSI, I took the Complete EFA and well I never took 3 caps a day so who knows. However if you were to pick from this brand I would pic the one that has the most EPA which would be the Mega EFA. Second would be the Complete EFA, but only because it has GLA. Now GLA is 30% more effective against androgen than is EPA so you may want to test out Borage Oil. On the other hand, when you are taking supplemetns its best not to start taking too many at once or you wont know which one is helping you (or making things worse). So the Fish Oil and Zinc sound good, what else were you thinking about? Say, what brands do you have at your local health food stores or online over there?

Bye for now =P

These are not steps, but stages some people progress through when going from conventional to holistic medicine. Stage 2 is how I became 99%+ Clear, eliminated my dysmennorhea, significantly reduced my sebum & pore size, etc & is my predominant method.

Stage 1 (Treatment):

* (Daily) Isocare Skin Control Cleanser, Dream Products Customized Natural Face Lotion & Coppertone Sport Spray Sunscreen (mixed)

* (Sporadically) spot treat w/ anti-inflammatory (neosporin, hydrocortisone, salicylic acid) or a skin lightener (post-inflammatory pigmentation) to treat stubborn cystic/nodular acne that appears due to unknowingly or knowingly ingesting a food/ingredient that breaks me out (I do my best to avoid these foods). If you cover treated area w/ a bandaid, it makes product more effective.

Stage 2 (Prevention): "cheapest" method ~ Since Aug. 2002

* Follow a Gluten-Free, Trans-Fat Free, Dairy-Free and No Added Sugar diet for my Insulin Resistance/Hyperandrogenism (Silent Chronic Inflammatory Syndrome)

* Avoid ALL types of nuts and the Genus Prunus (almonds, plums, peaches, nectarines, apricots, cherries), Bananas, Pineapples, Cottonseed oil, Artificial Sweetners.

Stage 3 (Correction):

* Strengthen/Repair GI - Immune health

Research:

* Developing functional foods for those with acne & other special needs (assuming there's a defficiency).

* Developing good & "safe" formulas for various hormonal issues for women. Correction stage may resolve this for some.

Elixir,

Thanks for posting more info! That Formula does sound really good. It appears to be a combination of antioxidants and also liver healers....cool =) Considering the foods that I avoid, sometimes it's rare to find good supplement formulas but this would be safe for me at least.

Oh and I agree about taking too many supplements, which is why my diet is my first choice. It got my 99% clear and I don't know what I have to give up to get that 1% but I'm guessing it could easily be solved by me taking R-ALA, NAC and/or Krill Oil. Those are what I've got now for various reasons other than my acne, but I'm only testing the Krill Oil and next week I'll start testing the NAC & then later R-ALA (in powder form and really sulfuring smelling and supposedly tasting so I'll probably capsule them first). Althugh Folic Acid and PABA were no problem to drink down...had a slight fizzy lemon-like flavor. =)

Take care

These are not steps, but stages some people progress through when going from conventional to holistic medicine. Stage 2 is how I became 99%+ Clear, eliminated my dysmennorhea, significantly reduced my sebum & pore size, etc & is my predominant method.

Stage 1 (Treatment):

* (Daily) Isocare Skin Control Cleanser, Dream Products Customized Natural Face Lotion & Coppertone Sport Spray Sunscreen (mixed)

* (Sporadically) spot treat w/ anti-inflammatory (neosporin, hydrocortisone, salicylic acid) or a skin lightener (post-inflammatory pigmentation) to treat stubborn cystic/nodular acne that appears due to unknowingly or knowingly ingesting a food/ingredient that breaks me out (I do my best to avoid these foods). If you cover treated area w/ a bandaid, it makes product more effective.

* Follow a Gluten-Free, Trans-Fat Free, Dairy-Free and No Added Sugar diet for my Insulin Resistance/Hyperandrogenism (Silent Chronic Inflammatory Syndrome)

* Avoid ALL types of nuts and the Genus Prunus (almonds, plums, peaches, nectarines, apricots, cherries), Bananas, Pineapples, Cottonseed oil, Artificial Sweetners.

Stage 3 (Correction):

Research:

* Developing functional foods for those with acne & other special needs (assuming there's a defficiency).

* Developing good & "safe" formulas for various hormonal issues for women. Correction stage may resolve this for some.

SweetJade, I noticed that you listed turmeric as containing an antiandrogen.  This is interesting because I had an Indian friend who said that turmeric is used in a paste with chick pea flour to inhibit hair growth.  I never had the patience to try it long enough to get a proper test, but she swore by it.  Thanks for a great post!

Stage 1 (Treatment):

Stage 3 (Correction):

Research:

Thanks Torbosk - where've you been lately, anyway?!

I was around, not so much on the diet/holistic health forum, because i lost faith in it a bit. Like i said i was taking a lot of supplements, but i still couldnt see much progress, so i lost interest in it. (I also altered my diet: i skipped milk and didnt drink sodas, or anything containing a lot of sugar, i also didnt eat chocolate.)

I was still eating bread , meat, pastas,... So this diet wasnt very strict.

I did see improvement, but not enough to be satisfied.

So i went back to topical treatment. Now i'm using differin, and i'm waiting for it to kick in completely, although i have seen improvement already.

Still, i believe people can see improvements with supplements and diet. It's all about finding the right (the strongest supplements). I think GLA is becoming one of the candidates:

Research on lineolic acid and acne ->too bad they dont have a summary yet

Found this on that other topic i mentioned:

""Then, a herb rarely discussed in acne forums is curcumin/turmeric...It has at least three uses:

- dissolves gallblader stones

- helps the liver detoxification

- is a skin androgen inhibitor ""

He also mentions boswellic acids and ginger as being anti-inflammatory. (block alpha-5-lipoxygenase). Topical aloe vera is also said to do this. (dont know what happens when taken orally).

Quercetin (found in apples) is excellent as well. He also recommends fish oil supplements.

Anyway, i believe that a combination of supplements togheter with some mild topicals can improve your acne more than either one alone. Personnally i think BP isnt the right choice (sorry Dan). Although it is very effective at killing bacteria, it also penetrates our cells and does a lot of damage there, our cells use anti-oxidants (like vit E) to controll this. Maybe retinoids are a better candidate??? The even help your skin to repair DNA-damage.

The main thing (and the hardest) is to find the strongest supplements.

Stage 1 (Treatment):

Stage 3 (Correction):

Research:

Blah! I can't place an order from that site! Means I'll have to look for another brand. Called a few vitamin selling places here and they do have zinc however they're all in tablet forms and different brands. One of them is Solgar, rings a bell? But still, I want powder form or capsules, does any of you guys know where to order optizinc powder online? On another note, have my blood results next week! I've also called my insurance company to ask whether they cover dermatologist bills or not. They've said they cover up to 75% and a maximum ammount of 230 euro which would be perfect for a few visits.However I do need a referral from my doctor. Called her up today, she was not there but they left a note so I'm gonna contact her on Monday to ask about it. God, I so hope she'll give it. I know that derms are not all that but maybe I could do a visit or two.I'll let you know guys.

Ben16,

How awesome that you have dermatologist coverage. Mine doesn't cover skin conditions, among a few other things (military healthcare was soo nice), so I don't get a derm under insurance. Anyway, regarding the zinc take whatever you can get. Zinc are rather small tablets anyway so you should be able to absorb more of it. Besides, something is better than nothing and I really hope it works out for you.

Take Care =)

P.S. This help any? http://www.vitaminstore.nl/search.asp?Bran...ll&Keyword=zinc Check Out Solgars Zinc Citrate Capsules.

If you want an American company, Iherb is good and they'll ship to you http://www.iherb.com/zinc1.html (see optizinc & zinc monomethionine)

Next to vitacost, Vitaminshoppe is my favorite: http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/popups/shippi...m#international

LEF is also a good company (one day I'll become a member) http://search.lef.org/src-cgi-bin/MsmFind....GT=0&QUERY=zinc

http://www.lef.org/newshop/shippingtips.html#net (international orders)

In Europe:

http://www.worldwideshoppingmall.co.uk/bod...ul/optizinc.asp

http://www.yournutritionshop.com/Manufactu...opti_zinc_m.htm

http://www.greensfoods.co.uk/index.asp/pag...ocare/pageno=17

Stage 1 (Treatment):

Stage 3 (Correction):

Research:

Hey, thanks so much for all those links!

Just got a phonecall from my doctor, she said I could pick up the referral this afternoon for my derm.Wow, I am so thrilled!! Hmm, the only thing I am still doubting about is, since the insurance company covers any derm as long as you have a referral from the doctor which I do , should i then try and find a new derm in my area (the lady said I could also visit an intern derm at the hospital) or just stick to the one I went to once. The treatment was quite good but after some research I found out that most of her products contain Lanolin which I read is really bad for your skin. But oh well, maybe two treatments won't do any harm.What do you think?

Hi there, just wanted to give a little warning:

If you are using products which block DHT and you are female, you

should be very careful. If you become pregnant you can damage the

(male) embryo. I'm not really sure about this, but this product against baldness (finasteride) blocks DHT and they say that it shouldnt be used by women and certainly not by pregnant women.

Yup, but I believe that's true more so for if you are having males than females. Of course, there are natural supplements that also reduce testosterone or block DHT that doctors have NO control over since some of these treatments are considered food. However, taking most medications are a no no if you are pregnant and that would include certain natural treatments as they can induce a miscarriage. I've no intentions of being pregnant so I'm not concerned, but for anyone that get's pregant, you can always stop taking any of these.

Oh yeah, and there's also one called Duatasteride that they don't even want women to touch! I believe that's because it blocks 99% of DHT Type I & Type II enzymes and can pass through the skin. Although, it also can break some males out slightly, even if they've never had acne before. Testosterone, more so DHT, causes males problems as they get older. So it's unfortunate that they aren't willing to help you guys find a more gentle treatment that you can start using when you get chronic acne, as it can sometimes be connected to future problems if left untreated (internally). The sad thing is that if males are taking a DHT blocker, there Testosterone levels will rise and it will also decrease the amount of estrogen that gets produced (from this increased testosterone). Yet estrogen could still end up being the stronger hormone and males that take, testolactone (anti-estrogen), are just as miserable.

Therefore, it seems that despite the clincal studies that suggest that you can still have a libido with no - less DHT due to the increased tesosterone, males around here are still very sensitive to Spironolactone. 25mg - 100mg of spiro is enough to clear you guys, as women take 2x - 3x that, but it's also enough to....stop that whole thinking of sex 24/7 thing. Some guys minded, but others didn't so I often wonder if part of this is just psychological. Not to mention, if you have already ceased pubertal development, you can take other herbs to boost your libido while taking a DHT blocker.

I don't know, it's a very tricky situation but males (and females) can probably get away with just taking natural anti-androgens such as dietary changes, (B5), NAC, Omega3, etc as I've never heard one that cleared complain about a loss of anything other than raving about having no acne ;-)

Stage 1 (Treatment):

Stage 3 (Correction):

Research:

Hey, thanks so much for all those links!

Just got a phonecall from my doctor, she said I could pick up the referral this afternoon for my derm.Wow, I am so thrilled!! Hmm, the only thing I am still doubting about is, since the insurance company covers any derm as long as you have a referral from the doctor which I do , should i then try and find a new derm in my area (the lady said I could also visit an intern derm at the hospital) or just stick to the one I went to once. The treatment was quite good but after some research I found out that most of her products contain Lanolin which I read is really bad for your skin. But oh well, maybe two treatments won't do any harm.What do you think?

Stage 1 (Treatment):

Stage 3 (Correction):

Research:

jade, you said turmeric has an anti androgen effect when applied to the skin, but if you take turmeric orally does it have an internal anti androgen effect?

[image removed by sigbot--see board rules] Country music makes me horny

Yes, I think you're right SweetJade.It's better to go to someone else for a second opinion instead of just getting another facial. There is this polyclinic I could go to, which does bloodtests and tries to find the diagnose of your skin condition instead of introducing a whole line of skin products so I might go there.My bloodresults from the hospital tests are not there yet but my doctor did say they had the urine results and there was nothing to worry about. Gotta call back by end of this week for the bloodresults, hopefully I'll be able to get the results on paper other than being told whatever verbally.

Sadcaroline,

Yup, everything has an antiandrogenic effect orally that I mentioned. Some of these may be just as effective topically and possibly safer for those concerned with libido loss etc.

Also, in your PM you mentioned that you weren't Insulin Resistant. Well one of the articles talked about women with various types of PCOS and insulin resistance wasn't always one of their symptoms, but taking the drugs worked anyway. I'm still not certain if that is what I have as my values were normal according to my doctor, but taking the Avandia did lower my androgens and Diabetes Type II does run on my father's side of the family so at the very least I am susceptible.

BTW, your diet is so amazing I wouldn't know what to say about it (far better than mine). So perhap there may be some a form of a gland hyperplasia due to overstimulation going on that didn't get detected. I don't know if it's possible, but maybe due to the lack of norepinephrine, your adrenal could be working harder to produce it and as such raising your testosterone. Do you know what types of androgens are high and whether you are lacking dopamine, serotonin or norepinephrine? My high ones are DHEA (adrenal androgen) & Free Testosterone. Have you looked at these:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001165.htm

http://www.cancer.med.umich.edu/learn/adrenalinfo.htm ? If that is the case than taking supplements that would help reduce the cell growth rate (inhibiting IGF-1 or Interleukin 6) such as boosting your glutathione with NAC or Silibin and taking Curcumin (tumeric) should help in more ways than one =)

http://psa-rising.com/eatingwell/turmeric.htm

Int J Oncol. 2002 Oct;21(4):825-30.  Related Articles, Links 

Curcumin down-regulates AR gene expression and activation in prostate cancer cell lines.

Nakamura K, Yasunaga Y, Segawa T, Ko D, Moul JW, Srivastava S, Rhim JS.

Center for Prostate Disease Research, Department of Surgery, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda, MD 20814, USA.

Curcumin, traditionally used as a seasoning spice in Indian cuisine, has been reported to decrease the proliferation potential of prostate cancer cells, by a mechanism that is not fully understood. In the current study, we have evaluated the effects of curcumin in cell growth, activation of signal transduction, and transforming activities of both androgen-dependent and independent cell lines. Prostate cancer cell lines, LNCaP and PC-3, were treated with curcumin and its effects were further analyzed on signal transduction and expression of androgen receptor (AR) and AR-related cofactors using transient transfection assay and Western blotting. Our results show that curcumin down-regulates transactivation and expression of AR, activator protein-1 (AP-1), nuclear factor-kappaB (NF-kappaB), and CREB (cAMP response element-binding protein)-binding protein (CBP). Curcumin also inhibited the transforming activities of both cell lines as evidenced by the reduced colony forming ability in soft agar. The results obtained here demonstrate that curcumin has a potential therapeutic effect on prostate cancer cells through down-regulation of AR and AR-related cofactors (AP-1, NF-kappaB and CBP). http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...t_uids=12239622 

Stage 1 (Treatment):

Stage 3 (Correction):

Research:

hey jade!! i must of been asleep when i wrote my PM LOL.. i have HORRIBLE IR sad.gif i have been on glucophage for it, an i didnt like it. i dont like taking meds unless i have to. thats why i stay on such a strict diet, in hopes to stay off meds. i think you hit the nail on the head about the adrenal problem though. i think thats exactly whats off here. because its the only thing that is a real proble(the androgens) i had the vaginal ultra sound that is normal, all normal glucose testing, an all other hormones were also normal. its just the androgens, i cant remember which ones were off, but i can find out. my doc just said my 'male' hormones were too high. so if you dont mind, could you tell me what i can do naturally to help this? i just started taking turmeric today, what is the highest dose i can safely take? thanks so much in advance!!

thanks again for all your information jade.. i have really been thinking of going back to the endocriologist lateley, because we never tried to find out WHY my male hormones were off, i mean theyve got to be coming from something. if it is adrenal related, are their safe options for treatment? one doctor i read about uses low dose prednisone which id like to stay away from. id love anymore info you can offer, because i really feel my problem is adrenal.

Sweet Jade, you seem to know a lot about this stuff. Your knowledge on this matter really does amaze me.

IS it possible for us to talk privately since i can't be bothered to read all this as most of it DOESN't concern me but i'm sure one or two parts of it can DRAMATICALLY help my situation as i'm very sure my acne is hormonal.

so can you please pm me and then i'll explain my situation to you??

I'll really appreciate it.

Also a lot of these terms i dont understand, I only know what testosterone is smile.gif i dont know what androgen or rest are.... one because english aint my second language even though I live in Canada and speak it everyday in school and two because i'm not smartest guy and not bookish at all. lol.

anyways i'll really apprecaite sweetjade or someone else who can kinda be like my Message Board Dermatologist and recommend me some stuff so i dont break out aftre ejaculation..... maybe by reducing testosterone or i dont konw what.

so please pm me.

thanks

Oh Nice to be back again!

I think I'm gonna order opti zinc from Life Extension.The only thing which is bothering me is... it says:

Other ingredients: rice flour, gelatin, and water.

Other places selling opti zinc sometimes even note that it doesn't contain any gluten and since this one doesn't, I was wondering do you think gluten is one of the ingredients? Thanks

Oh Nice to be back again!

I think I'm gonna order opti zinc from Life Extension.The only thing which is bothering me is... it says:

Other ingredients: rice flour, gelatin, and water.

Other places selling opti zinc sometimes even note that it doesn't contain any gluten and since this one doesn't, I was wondering do you think gluten is one of the ingredients? Thanks

Stage 1 (Treatment):

Stage 3 (Correction):

Research:

hey jade!! i must of been asleep when i wrote my PM LOL.. i have HORRIBLE IR sad.gif i have been on glucophage for it, an i didnt like it. i dont like taking meds unless i have to. thats why i stay on such a strict diet, in hopes to stay off meds. i think you hit the nail on the head about the adrenal problem though. i think thats exactly whats off here. because its the only thing that is a real proble(the androgens) i had the vaginal ultra sound that is normal, all normal glucose testing, an all other hormones were also normal. its just the androgens, i cant remember which ones were off, but i can find out. my doc just said my 'male' hormones were too high. so  if you dont mind, could you tell me what i can do naturally to help this? i just started taking turmeric today, what is the highest dose i can safely take? thanks so much in advance!!

before you judge me take a look at you

can't you find something better to do

point the finger, slow to understand

arrogance and ignorance go hand in hand

- Metallica, "holier than thou"

evirex- To answer your question, I honestly dont know. I go to one of the top PCOS specialists in the world (i drive 3 states to see him). Its been a while since ive seen him, but once when i was there he explained why it doesnt show up on tests an I cant remember what he said. If you are really curious I'd be happy to call his office an have them explain it, seriously I'd love to know as well, because i cant remember for the life of me. I just remember him telling me that a good percentage (around 30% i think he siad) of girls with PCOS problems and or IR have 'normal' glucose tests like me. mine are always normal, but i have severe reactions to certain foods, I even have 'acanthosis nigricans' which are litterally the red flag for IR. People cant even have acanthosis nigricans without being either diabetic, or insulin resistant, and I have yet to have a test result showing an insulin problem. I was just lucky enough to find a specialist who deals in girls with normal lab results, but serious problems. My doctors practice is made of women from all over the world who have 'normal' lab results, but serious IR related problems. But regardless of what you read, it is completely possible for someone to have an insulin problem without it showing on a glucose test, even though it made seem unheard of, Dr Scott Sills will have more to say about it wink.gif

Sadcaroline,

Yeah it is odd huh, but the medication and associated dietary changes speak the truth. Remember that article I showed you (I'll post parts below), well it mentioned that even women with PCOS that were NOT Insulin Resistant still responded to taking Avandia or Glucophage. Considering that more disorders are being linked to this, I've come across articles where doctors aren't certain exactly how to classify or test for these new forms of insulin resistance.

There are, however, a number of women who do not fit the classic textbook definition of PCOS but who have many features which makes the diagnosis of PCOS the most appropriate one for them. We would term these women as having "Non-Classic PCOS".

For instance, instead of having very infrequent cycles, some women will have totally irregular bleeding with periods coming every two weeks, sometimes alternating with much longer cycles.

Other women with non-classic PCOS will have fairly normal cycles and increased androgen production will have a typical "poly-cystic" appearance of the ovary on ultrasound. A number of studies have shown that the presence of a poly-cystic appearing ovary is frequently associated with many of the other features of classical PCOS even though the women may not fit the true definition.

Another study has shown that there may be at least two different disorders associated with PCOS that, again, we would term "non-classic PCOS". The first of these (which I am not sure really falls under the category of PCOS) are women who are obese and hyperinsulinemic but not hyperandrogenic. Since we know that obesity produces insulin resistance by a different mechanism than classic PCOS, these women probably represent a totally different syndrome, although there may be considerable overlap.

The second type of non-classic PCOS would be those women who appear to be hyperandrogenic but are not insulin resistant and/or hyperinsulinemic.

Approximately two-thirds of all women with classic PCOS are overweight and, in this group of women, the majority are insulin resistant.

Approximately one-third of women with classic PCOS are of normal body weight but only about one-third of these women are insulin resistant. However, for reasons that have yet to be explained, most of these women will still respond to insulin sensitizing therapy. This probably means that our criteria for insulin resistance and the ways we have of measuring it are not sensitive enough.

Stage 1 (Treatment):

Stage 3 (Correction):

Research: