Photo

Aczone, Finacea And Ziana Combo With Sumadan Wash...wowza!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
173 replies to this topic

#21 leelowe1

leelowe1

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 10
About Me

Achievements

Posted 07 December 2011 - 07:08 PM

Day # 20

Ahhh.....acne how you are the gift that keeps on giving... SIGH. SO my forehead is breaking out in small red bumps. I am hoping that it is as a result of the threading and that it will die down soon but i am not so sure. I sure as hell hope it's not because i started eating Almond Butter (which i LOVE and i am using to help me gain weight) or the cheese i eat (usually only 2 cheese sticks per day). Because of my prediabetes i have cut back on carbs and currently, the only carb rich foods i eat are Quinoa, beans steel oats and maybe two slices of sproated grain bread (per day).

My face is so damn oily (as always - i don't think i've ever experienced normal moisturized skin) and dry and red ALL AT THE SAME TIME! It makes me look as if i am constantly blushing. My chin continues to toy with my emotions as i can see and feel under the skin bumps but they won't come up (not sure if that's a good or bad thing).

Taking it day by day and realizing that my acne could be worse and that in my minds eye, it is bigger to me than it is to everyone else

I go back to my derm in 2 weeks so we'll see what happens (not sure what the point of that is since it takes at the very least, 2 months to see any type of progress or lack there of).

Thanks for all the support-it keeps me going and going and goingPosted Image

#22 leelowe1

leelowe1

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 10 December 2011 - 09:15 PM

Day # 23

So one major change in regards to my diet is that i am cutting out gluten and dairy. My whole reasoning behind this is that i am experiencing some gastric issues so i am trying to eliminate possible culprits. if my skin happens to clear up as a result then WOO HOO :-)

Skin wise, same ole same ole. Still oily as a mutha. Still breaking out in bumps that don't get whiteheads.I believe that this may be the start of an initial outbreak - a MILD initial outbreak. I just want to be three months in and raving about improvements - the wait is killing me.

Uploaded week 3 pictures in the Gallery Section.

#23 DeeDeeParis

DeeDeeParis

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 December 2011 - 09:39 AM

i know the feeling about waiting!! I'm one month in and see lots of improvement. In my case it helps me a lot when i just don't worry bout my skin and let epiduo does its thing, lol.

#24 leelowe1

leelowe1

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 14 December 2011 - 05:48 PM

i know the feeling about waiting!! I'm one month in and see lots of improvement. In my case it helps me a lot when i just don't worry bout my skin and let epiduo does its thing, lol.

DeeDee i agree 100% My improvements are not THAT dramatic which is why i sometimes find myself discouraged but then i try to live my life and keep it moving.....it helps alot doing that. Glad that you're seeing improvement.

Day # 26 - almost to the 1 month mark! Posted Image

I'm proud of myself for sticking with it this long without quitting....i guess i really am developing my patience.

Routine wise, for the past few days/night, i have been adding my moisturizer BEFORE the creams because my face has been unbearably dry and red. Has anyone ever done this? Does it diminish the ability of the meds to work properly? I'm going to see the derm for my 1 month follow up on Monday so i'll ask her. As soon as my face recovers, i'll go back to putting on cream BEFORE moisturizer.

Face wishe, the acne on my forehead seems to be holding steady....meaning i'm not breaking out as much on there. In a few weeks i hope to start clearing up. My chin has also been doing better. 1 or 2 inflamed bumps come up and shrink back down.....usually its 4-5 at any given time so i guess that is improvement. Also, the small flesh colored bumps on my jaw are diminishing....not as much as before i started this regimen and Claravis. Right now on my upper upper cheek i have a hard boil like bump that hurts, is inflamed and red as a mutha......hoping this bursts by itself soon and drains. I know it will probably leave a scar as those bumps tend to do that on my complexion skin.

Overall i think i'm going to have my derm keep me on this regimen (maybe minus the Sumadan wash as it really is too drying, even with moisturizer) as 1 month is definitely NOT enough time to tell if it's working. So far, i can say my acne has not exploded as i had expected it to (knock on wood). Here is to two steps forward.

I'll post Week 4 pics this weekend.

Thanks for all the continued support - it's made this journey so much more bearable!

#25 leelowe1

leelowe1

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 17 December 2011 - 04:03 PM

Day # 29

Ok....where do i start. I have made quite a few changes this week so lets start with Supplements. I now take:

50mg of chelated zinc per day
1 5000IU of D3
2 probiotics per day

Many people seem to be using all three in conjunction with other supplements so i thought those would be a good place to start as

A) I don't get as much sun as i should and i was tested deficient in vitamin D
B) My immune system is not as strong as it can be and i don't eat a lot of zinc rich foods
C) I've been on and off of antibiotics for years so who knows what madness has been happening in my gut.

I'm very skeptical about supplements but i'll give them a fair shake before i write them off - 3 months is a good time frame i think.

As for my diet, i have now been gluten and dairy free for a week now. Since i am prediabetic, i only eat complex carbs such as quinoa, steel oats, occasionally brown rice and whatever carbs are in vegetables (except for potatoes). I eat wild salmon at least 3 X per week and chicken, beef that is organic (as much as possible). I do a lot of coconut and olive oil and i eat egg, almond butter and avocados. My diet doesn't vary much but it is as healthy as i can make it. I also drink 2 glasses of green smoothies (no fruits) with spinach, kale, cucumbers, celery, parsley. For lunch and dinner i make sure to eat broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, string beans etc.

I weight train twice per week and do light cardio (as i am trying to gain weight) 3 times per week

My regimen is posted as my signature.

So i believe i am covering my acne on all fronts

Face wise, no major changes, thank God. I am getting a few inflamed pimples that leave behind scarring. Right now i am battling 2 under my lip (one of which is raised but still under the skin) and 2 on my right side near my upper cheek bone (one is noticeable red and inflamed but starting to calm down, the other is under the skin and ready to spring up). Numerous under the skin bumps on both my jaws (not noticeable right off the bat but they make that area of my skin red and thus, stand out). Clogged pores on my cheeks (closer to my nose) and blackheads on my forehead. The most noticeable improvement is the texture of my skin which to me seems smoother. This process is definitely dragging but i am finding myself focusing on other things beside my face which is a good thing. Hoping that with my new lifestyle plus the added supplements, i see more improvement soon. My 1 month follow up appointment is this Monday so looking forward to hearing what the derm has to say. My face is definitely more congested and more scarred today than it was then but in comparing it to how it was this summer.....still better Posted Image .

Will post this week's update in the gallery in a few.....wish i had a better camera so that you guys could see the subtle changes.

#26 leelowe1

leelowe1

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 24 December 2011 - 06:50 PM

Day # 36

Initial outbreak.....initial outbreak.....initial outbreak. Ugh! my chin is breaking out in small inflamed bumps and a few whiteheads. And worst of all, its happening all at once! This was definitely not the surprise i had in mind for Christmas. My pores are also becoming more clogged resulting in many small bumps on my cheeks. I'm, definiteley heading in the direction i was pre claravis and i'm not happy about that. I am in the 2nd month of this regimen so i am hoping that this is the start of the purging/clearing stage. My doc says that this month i should see my bumps heal faster and breakouts become less and less. I see here again in 2 months to reevaluate if i will stay with this regimen or switch. Sigh.......this is so not the way i wanted to start 2012

#27 leelowe1

leelowe1

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 25 December 2011 - 06:15 PM

Day # 37

I am so at a crossroads now. I honestly want to stop this regimen. It seems that literally in less than 48 hours, more bumps and clogged pores have popped up left and right. I am soooooo not used to this. It has me questioning a few things:

is my moisturizer clogging my pores (i'm using cetaphil moisturizing lotion- my skin is so dry from the acne products but i think that cetaphil is just sitting on my skin creating a greasy feel and look and um.....clogging my pores).

is this my purging stage where bumps just pop up left and right- 5 weeks in?

How long can and will this nightmare last.

I could definitely use some reassurance right now.....not many people on this board have used Ziana so i feel like a little fish in a big barrel.

#28 leelowe1

leelowe1

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 27 December 2011 - 05:18 PM

Day # 39:

Ahhhh.....my acne is so frustrating. I am now noticing a redness surrounding the areas where those underground/without a head pimples reside. It makes my face look extremely irritated in some parts. I am also getting more inflamed pimples on my cheek. I took and posted pictures of my chin to show how those underground suckers on my chin have popped up. I am so frustrated right now especially since i keep getting new acne - inflammatory acne everyday that don't have whiteheads. Did anyone else experience this with a retinoid. It makes me wonder what the purpose of Aczone is. Would my acne be worst without it? The zinc is not doing anything for me acne wise not is the vitamin D3 so i am holding off on adding anymore supplements. It all seems like such a big waste of money to me. I think it is too soon to tell if the diet change is helping much, especially if this regimen is purging my skin. At times i honestly feel like crying (going from clear last year to this has been hard) but then i remind myself that others are going through much much worse and that i should be grateful. At this time of the year, i have a warm home, supportive family, a good job.....all that i really NEED.

Thank God for that!

#29 leelowe1

leelowe1

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 29 December 2011 - 10:27 AM

Day # 41

I hate you...I hate you...I hate you. My skin is sooooooo dry and soooooo red and sooooo blotchy and i have all these new flesh colored pimples popping up left and right! I want to friggin scream....AGGGGGHHHHHHHH! The weird thing is that even when i can't feel a pimple, a bright red mark remains. Please tell me this is normal and that i have to give it time. I mean, is it normal for skin to feel so dry its about to fall the hell off? I'm just afraid that this regimen is irritating my skin and causing more pimples. I have to keep the faith and tell myself that my skin is just purging bumps that would have other wise come up.

Deep Breath.....Woosah......Deep Breath......Woosah.

But seriously, i am not happy right now. My face feels and looks horrible and i have nothing positive to say about this regimen so far. My derm says that by the end of month 2 i should be getting less clogged pores....we'll see.

Thanks for listening to the vent....i love you folks on the ORGPosted Image

#30 DeeDeeParis

DeeDeeParis

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 December 2011 - 11:54 AM

Maybe you need to switch lotions? I use Neutrogena face lotion for combination skin! It is amazing! The one for sensitive skin did not work for me! Also relax :) more stress and worry = more pimples.
*sings bob marley*

#31 leelowe1

leelowe1

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 29 December 2011 - 03:53 PM

Thanks for the advice Dee.........I use the Neutrogena Sensitive Skin and its not helping. Will the combination skin one break me out? I just feel as if i'm ruining my face everytime i apply these chemicals to it.

#32 leelowe1

leelowe1

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 30 December 2011 - 09:50 AM

Day # 42

Moisture......needed.....dying.....lol. I have posted pics of my face after i have applied my meds and BEFORE moisturizer. Is it supposed to be that dry and that flaky? Also, when i added moisturizer, it stung a little even though i waited 20 minutes....SIGH. I am still flaky even with moisturizer. At what point does that subside?. As i stated before, Cetaphil was way too heavy and i think it clogged my pores (i was using the lotion). In any event i need a recommendation for:

a gentle cleanser (non medicated/moisturizing)
a moisturizer (i've got some great suggestions so far!)

The more natural, the better.

#33 unlovely2011

unlovely2011

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 27
About Me

Achievements

Posted 30 December 2011 - 03:56 PM

i have trouble posting pics in my own albums... so i'll just took these now and i'll post them here for you and my fellow atralin and/or aczone users. i'm not sure exactly what week i'm on as of today but i know my 6 month mark is coming up in mid january... so here is how i look without makeup now:

(Photo on 2011-12-30 at 17.00.jpg Photo on 2011-12-30 at 17.00 #2.jpg Photo on 2011-12-30 at 17.01.jpg the third one i am trying to show off my trouble spot where i had a big cyst that is taking it's time dissipating. i think it's more noticeable in person than my webcam/lighting shows, but still nothing i can't handle going out in public with or easily cover if i wanted to. )

#34 leelowe1

leelowe1

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 30 December 2011 - 09:51 PM

Unlovely, you are anything but.....lol. Awesome progress. I'm hoping for similar results. BTW, i tried to moisturize before Ziana and guess what, still dry as a mutha. I'll either have to up the moisturizer OR cut back on the application.

#35 leelowe1

leelowe1

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 31 December 2011 - 09:39 AM

Day # 43

6 week pictures finally posted! My camera sucks hardcore so i'll try my best to explain whats happening with my skin.

Texture:

Grainy and rough ALL over.

Complexion:

uneven, red, peeling, irritated

Acne:

My left side is doing MUCH better than my right side which has always been the case.
1 hard, under the skin bump on my lower chin
less clogged pores on my cheek
bump on lip

My right side is my sucky side and right now it sucks.
Over a dozen tiny red/flesh colored bumps going from my upper cheek down to my chin area (the results of clogged pores/irritation?)
1 inflamed bump on lip and below lip.

Tiny bumps on nose (maybe 3?)

Forehead has a few flesh colored bumps.

Well folks, that's the status of my face. As you can see, 2011 is not ending on a great note face wise. Hoping that this time next year i would have found something that works for me but in the meantime, i am keeping hope alive Posted Image

All the best to everyone in 2012!

#36 DeeDeeParis

DeeDeeParis

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 December 2011 - 09:15 PM

For me, the lotion did not break me out..

#37 leelowe1

leelowe1

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 01 January 2012 - 08:51 AM

Thanks Dee!

Happy 2012 to everyone on the org! I am feeling very optimistic this year in regards to my acne and such.

Acne wise, it seems that i spoke too soon about the left side of my face being clearer. three bumps, one of which is hard and lumpy and very inflamed popped up on my cheek. But you know what, that's life! I am so tired of stressing over every little bump, zit, scar, indentation. it's stressing me out and probably making things worse.

This year i vow to only look in the mirror when i apply my products and not get super close to examine each bump. Anyone want to join me in this pledge?

Also, i will be doing a food intolerance test to see what foods i am sensitive to (and i'll cut them out). If at the end of FEB (my 3 month mark) i see no improvement, i will go see a naturopath.

Maybe natural will work better and give my body a chance to heal itself.

#38 leelowe1

leelowe1

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 08 January 2012 - 11:57 AM

WEEK 7 Almost to the 2 month mark -YAY!!!!Posted Image

Well let's start with the positive:

My skin feels sooooooo smooth whenever i wash it. Alot of those flesh colored bumps have disappeared and i seem to be getting less clogged pores (as my derm promised). I also am getting less inflammed bumps and when they do pop up, they never develop a head and disappear over time.

Now for the not so positive.

I am flushed ALL THE TIME!

I have had to skip days or buffer the meds with mositurizer....Before i put on the meds. I'm not sure if this is affecing how effective the meds work but my skin is drying out and is visibly flaking. I know this happens but isn't the skin at some point supposed to get used to it?

I am still breaking out....albeit, small bumps that usually don't devlop a head. I believe the Sumadan wash dries them out as well as my skin.

So, do i think my regimen is working? Well ever the cautious one, i'll reserve judgement once i hit the 3 month mark. My face definitely is way better than it was in July but only time will tell if this treatment is worth it.

Tried to post pics of week 7 but site not allowing me to do so. Hopefully this will be resolved soon.

#39 crystal_willow

crystal_willow

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 8
About Me

Achievements

Posted 10 January 2012 - 04:23 PM

Well done for sticking it out, I personally think maybe using Finacea, Aczone and an antibiotic mixture all together is alot to put on your skin at once and there is no way to tell which products are working to help you and which ones are surplus to requirements.

The mixture of different chemicals (namely Finacea and Aczone) could well be causing the irritation and flushing you are experiencing BUT I see that this is a dermatologists plan so I assume that they know what they are doing. Redness and peeling are side effects of both finacea AND aczone (which I had never heard of before so thankyou for my backup plan).

Hopefully your skin will get used to it xx

#40 leelowe1

leelowe1

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 11 January 2012 - 04:56 PM

Crystal.....you may very well be right. 3 prescription meds is a literal pain in my ass and i have no clue as to what is actually helping with clearing but whatever works, right? I at some point want to completely go natural with my skin care routine but i am doubtful that will happen anytime soon. My skin is acne prone and it will always be acne prone and after the year i had with my face, i just don't need that stress in my life. I too am assuming my derm knows what she's doing but i am in no way, shape or form deluding myself into thinking she magically was able to 'read' what my skin needed. I just think she started with the least irritating products and hoped for the best (acne is not an exact science after all). But so far, i do see improvement and i am going to stick with it. I have my follow up appt Feb 18th so i am hoping by that point i can be like 'Whoa....my face is friggin amazing!!!!!!!'....lol. Your progress has definitely been inspirational to me though so keep it up!

Thanks for stopping by - the encouragement is appreciated!