Photo

Gluten Free Vegan Log

gluten free vegan gluten vegan red mark

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
57 replies to this topic

#1 ohsailor

ohsailor

vegantastic.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 November 2011 - 10:29 AM

backstory: i've had up and down success with treating my skin: at times, it has been passable but more often than not, it has been very poor. i suffer mainly from inflammed acne - concentrated around my chin, lower cheek area. i have very uneven skin tone and have numerous red marks.

current treatment: i'm currently using avene soapless gel cleanser + have been for roughly 3 years - i use it because of the lack of SLS which i believe aggravates my skin. i am also using avene triacneal - an OTC retinoid however i may begin rotating again with avene cleanance k in an attempt to alleviate my incredibly dry skin.

trying to: eat a gluten free, vegan diet with minimal caffeine (the latter of which definitely exacerbates my acne) i'm starting my gluten free diet today. but i have a mixed, overwhelmingly negative relationship with food + continue to battle anorexia (i am currently at a significantly low body weight) which may contribute to my poor skin.

16.11 -
so i had gluten free toast for breakfast + a gluten free sandwich with soya chocolate dessert for lunch.
i'm not expecting an immediate improvement & i know i have to give it a suitable timeframe to have an effect.
i'm actually hoping, in a strange way, that this gluten free diet may improve my eating disorder.

my skin has two very active spots - one on my outer nostril - which is incredibly painful. i can constantly feel it which i'm sure you all know is a horrible feeling. the other spot is on my lower cheek.

i'm going to continue to use either triacneal or cleanance k + hopefully reduce the size and intensity of both active spots.

#2 Ghost08

Ghost08

Stay Beautiful!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Achievements

Posted 16 November 2011 - 11:16 AM

This sounds incredibly hard!
Good luck though, I'm sure when you put your mind to something like this it's very easy!

#3 ohsailor

ohsailor

vegantastic.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 November 2011 - 03:28 AM

^ Thanks :) I think it probably seems hard to other people but I am used to eating a very restricted diet because of my ED so I'm quite optimistic about it!

#4 ohsailor

ohsailor

vegantastic.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 November 2011 - 05:49 AM

17.11 -

squeezed the nose spot and the one on my lower cheek last night. the nose one had to be done because it was hurting so damn much. it was throbbing constantly.
the cheek one squeeze i regret. shouldn't have done it.

i have a pink lump on my forehead, which has ruined my otherwise clear forehead :(

i'm hoping that with continued usage of triacneal, it might clear up soon.

gluten free is going okay :) i'm hoping in a couple of weeks, there should be generally less inflammation and less intense spots. i am getting married to my girlfriend in June 2013 (civil partnership) + one of my fears is that i will break out for my wedding. i'm hoping that gluten free might be a reliable and long term solution.

i'm going grocery shopping on friday & am looking forward to buying some gluten free products but they're so expensive! i will buy some gluten free cereals, soya yoghurts, gluten free cereal bars, dairy free chocolate milk ;)

#5 ohsailor

ohsailor

vegantastic.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 November 2011 - 02:51 AM

21.11 -

well, this weekend was a nightmare.

my forehead spot is as red as a traffic light.
i spent most of my weekend alternating between being depressed + crying about my skin.

i try everything possible to make it better yet nothing works. and i see so many peope who slap on makeup, drink caffeine, don't eat healthily and their skin is so clear. makes me feel so helpless.

but my lovely girlfriend/fiancee cheered me up. + i went into ou health food store and bought some evening primrose oil, some more calcium + vitamin d and zinc. i was going to buy spirulina but they didn't have what i wanted (should be delivered on wednesday) so i'll pop in then to buy some.
i have heard some positive reviews regarding spirulina so i'm hoping that it should benefit me too.

my skin is very dry at the moment so i put on some cleanance k before applying my makeup as my skin looked like it was flaking off. it gave a good base for my powder without having to use moisturiser which my skin absolutely hates.

so my current regimen from today is:

cleanse using avene cleanance soapless gel cleanser
apply cleanance k
apply rimmel stay matte powder (with brush)

eat gluten free, low sugar, vegan foods. avoid caffeine, drink more water.

take zinc, calcium and vitamin d, evening primrose oil, spirulina (from wednesday)

remove makeup with aveve soapless gel cleanser
apply thin layer of cleanance k before bed.

wish me luck.

#6 ohsailor

ohsailor

vegantastic.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 November 2011 - 04:47 AM

23.11 -

still a big fan of cleanance k under my powder. gives a lot better base than without anything + hopefully by using twice a day it should have more an effect on possibly clearing my remaining acne marks.

nothing new has emerged (thankfully!) but in different lights, my red marks veer from looking acceptable to looking ridiculously obvious. i really very much dislike bright, office lighting!

gluten free is going well - buying some more yummy Trek bars which have protein of 11g (Coco Brownie flavour) and hopefully some spirulina tonight from the health food store in town.

my skin has definitely improved, even since saturday+sunday, so i'm hoping that the gluten free regime is working in respect of just helping my skin be less inflamed. i'm not necessarily expecting it to be the cause of clear skin and that i will never get acne again, but i think it might just mean it is less angry and red when a spot does emerge.

#7 jennifer36

jennifer36

every moment is a gift of life

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 19
About Me

Achievements

Posted 27 November 2011 - 12:13 AM

23.11 -

still a big fan of cleanance k under my powder. gives a lot better base than without anything + hopefully by using twice a day it should have more an effect on possibly clearing my remaining acne marks.

nothing new has emerged (thankfully!) but in different lights, my red marks veer from looking acceptable to looking ridiculously obvious. i really very much dislike bright, office lighting!

gluten free is going well - buying some more yummy Trek bars which have protein of 11g (Coco Brownie flavour) and hopefully some spirulina tonight from the health food store in town.

my skin has definitely improved, even since saturday+sunday, so i'm hoping that the gluten free regime is working in respect of just helping my skin be less inflamed. i'm not necessarily expecting it to be the cause of clear skin and that i will never get acne again, but i think it might just mean it is less angry and red when a spot does emerge.

More than eating a good diet, spirulina and chlorella made the biggest difference for me. Spirulina has great effects, but when I started taking chlorella too I saw better results. I use them topically as a mask every day, as well as taking them internally. They make me pee a lot.. After taking them try to drink a bunch of water, it will help flush the toxins from your body. Most days I use 1/2 tsp spirulina + 1/2 tsp chlorella + water + powdered oats, let sit for 5-10 minutes. Once or twice a week I use the same amounts spirulina/chlorella, mixed with moisturizer, let sit for 20 minutes. The mask helps shrink my zits within a few hours of washing it off.

One thing you might want to watch in your diet is soy. A lot of people posting on this site have claimed it to aggravate their acne. It definitely aggravates mine, but it might not bug yours! I've been thinking about trying gluten free. More or less I do eat gluten free, except noodles in my low-sodium minestrone soup everyday (good for work lunches, lol).

Do you drink much tea? Caffeine free of course, since you said it bothers your acne. If you steep green tea for a minute, discard the water and then re-steep for about 3 minutes you'll have a yummy de-caf cup of green tea. Ginger green is awesome, ginger + green tea, double acne fighting ingredients. White tea is naturally caffeine free, and I find it helps my skin so much, as well as roobios, chamomile and dandelion teas. Dandelion tea as well is great for detoxing your body.

Edited by jennifer36, 27 November 2011 - 12:13 AM.

#8 ohsailor

ohsailor

vegantastic.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 November 2011 - 06:29 AM

23.11 -

More than eating a good diet, spirulina and chlorella made the biggest difference for me. Spirulina has great effects, but when I started taking chlorella too I saw better results. I use them topically as a mask every day, as well as taking them internally. They make me pee a lot.. After taking them try to drink a bunch of water, it will help flush the toxins from your body. Most days I use 1/2 tsp spirulina + 1/2 tsp chlorella + water + powdered oats, let sit for 5-10 minutes. Once or twice a week I use the same amounts spirulina/chlorella, mixed with moisturizer, let sit for 20 minutes. The mask helps shrink my zits within a few hours of washing it off.

One thing you might want to watch in your diet is soy. A lot of people posting on this site have claimed it to aggravate their acne. It definitely aggravates mine, but it might not bug yours! I've been thinking about trying gluten free. More or less I do eat gluten free, except noodles in my low-sodium minestrone soup everyday (good for work lunches, lol).

Do you drink much tea? Caffeine free of course, since you said it bothers your acne. If you steep green tea for a minute, discard the water and then re-steep for about 3 minutes you'll have a yummy de-caf cup of green tea. Ginger green is awesome, ginger + green tea, double acne fighting ingredients. White tea is naturally caffeine free, and I find it helps my skin so much, as well as roobios, chamomile and dandelion teas. Dandelion tea as well is great for detoxing your body.

Thanks for the reply :)

Unfortunately, I am BROKE so chlorella/spirulina has to wait (my rent + bills come first!) but I'm definitely going to purchase some. I'm very interested in the effects of it but also slightly paranoid that it might make my skin worse....

Yes, I am starting to avoid soy more now -- I used to have these vegan chocolate soya pots religiously but have mixed up my diet a little bit and eliminated those for a while (for other reasons apart from acne) so I'm intrigued to see if this will make a difference as they are my only real intake of soy.

Yes, I drink a LOT of tea (decaf!) but as much as I want to like herbal/fruit/green tea, I can't bring myself to drink it on a consistent basis. I always tell myself that I will drink it and how much good it will do me, but the taste is just not appealing to me.

29.11 --

well, my skin isn't going great. I seem to be getting red inflamed pores on the upper part of my cheeks for someone unknown reason. And I now have two spots above my eyebrow.
I've had to wear a bit more powder to cover this up which is annoying because my aim is for my skin to be good enough to be make up free.

Not feeling good at all about my skin right now however I have been under stress due to my eating disorder recently and also have been slacking on the water drinking. Maybe these two could be having an influence because everything else has remained the same.

Still gluten free :) Have to admit that whatever spots I am getting at the moment, they are far less 'angry' and red. So I'm definitely sticking with my gluten-less diet for the foreseeable future.

Fingers crossed things get a bit better soon.

#9 jennifer36

jennifer36

every moment is a gift of life

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 19
About Me

Achievements

Posted 29 November 2011 - 08:38 PM

Thanks for the reply Posted Image

Unfortunately, I am BROKE so chlorella/spirulina has to wait (my rent + bills come first!) but I'm definitely going to purchase some. I'm very interested in the effects of it but also slightly paranoid that it might make my skin worse....

Yes, I am starting to avoid soy more now -- I used to have these vegan chocolate soya pots religiously but have mixed up my diet a little bit and eliminated those for a while (for other reasons apart from acne) so I'm intrigued to see if this will make a difference as they are my only real intake of soy.

Yes, I drink a LOT of tea (decaf!) but as much as I want to like herbal/fruit/green tea, I can't bring myself to drink it on a consistent basis. I always tell myself that I will drink it and how much good it will do me, but the taste is just not appealing to me.

29.11 --

well, my skin isn't going great. I seem to be getting red inflamed pores on the upper part of my cheeks for someone unknown reason. And I now have two spots above my eyebrow.
I've had to wear a bit more powder to cover this up which is annoying because my aim is for my skin to be good enough to be make up free.

Not feeling good at all about my skin right now however I have been under stress due to my eating disorder recently and also have been slacking on the water drinking. Maybe these two could be having an influence because everything else has remained the same.

Still gluten free Posted Image Have to admit that whatever spots I am getting at the moment, they are far less 'angry' and red. So I'm definitely sticking with my gluten-less diet for the foreseeable future.

Yeah spirulina and chlorella are pretty expensive!!! And they definitely did not make my skin worse, they're what helped more than anything. I know what you mean though about worrying about new things causing acne. Anytime I try anything new I stress myself out about whether or not it will cause me to break out, which in turn causes me to break out from stress. I found a lot of getting better, then worse, then better (progressively better after every spell of worse) with my skin. Like I was still breaking out, but after each breakout there was more improvement. It's such a process. It's good to hear that your spots are less angry, it makes me want to try more gluten free. My mom actually has celiac's disease so she has to be gluten free, so a lot of alternatives are always in the house.

#10 ohsailor

ohsailor

vegantastic.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 November 2011 - 06:24 AM

Thanks for the reply Posted Image

29.11 --

Still gluten free Posted Image Have to admit that whatever spots I am getting at the moment, they are far less 'angry' and red. So I'm definitely sticking with my gluten-less diet for the foreseeable future.

Yeah spirulina and chlorella are pretty expensive!!! And they definitely did not make my skin worse, they're what helped more than anything. I know what you mean though about worrying about new things causing acne. Anytime I try anything new I stress myself out about whether or not it will cause me to break out, which in turn causes me to break out from stress. I found a lot of getting better, then worse, then better (progressively better after every spell of worse) with my skin. Like I was still breaking out, but after each breakout there was more improvement. It's such a process. It's good to hear that your spots are less angry, it makes me want to try more gluten free. My mom actually has celiac's disease so she has to be gluten free, so a lot of alternatives are always in the house.

Yeah, I'm always super neurotic about adding anything into my regimen through fear of making the whole situation worse! I got paid today + once all the boring stuff(rent, bills, car tax) has been paid, I'm definitely heading to the healthfood shop to buy some :)

Thats cool that you have access to gluten free foods - I'm not sure if its the same where you are, but in the UK, everything is incredibly expensive. A box of cereal is twice, if not three times, more expensive than the gluten-containing cereal.

30.11 ---

I had another difficult day yesterday with my skin. It is getting very oily by the end of the day but extremley dry in the morning (which the cleanance k combats so I can wear makeup over it without my face looking cracked!)

my skin is just so 'uneven' and the red marks linger for so long. far more than my girlfriend's so if she ever gets a spot.

at the moment, they seem to be located randomly all over my face rather than in one specific area.

i am tempted to eliminate the cleanance k in the morning and just do it in the PM? i only added it in twice a day to get rid of the dryness rather than specifically to tackle the spots so I might get rid of it tomorrow (and pray that my skin wears the powder okay without looking dry and dusty!)

#11 ohsailor

ohsailor

vegantastic.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 December 2011 - 09:44 AM

02.12--

my skin is so frustrating.

i have one on my upper cheek and it is a red lump with the surrounding area of skin in a pale pink colour.

i'm sure it is more inflamed because i am stressed about my eating disorder at the moment. i have had lots of anxiety recently and also worried about my skin and how bad it is. there aren't lots of spots but the red marks make it seem as though there are. plus, most of the PIH products seem to look like they would aggravate my skin and make my acne worse even if it does fade the red marks.

i am DEFINITELY going to buy some spirulina over the weekend. i have to, even if it is expensive. and i ran out of evening primrose oil which is supposed to help with hormones. i know my hormones are all over the place because i have not had my period for quite some time due to my low bodyweight.

i wake up every day panicking that i will get another spot which leads to another horrendous red mark which takes month to fade, long after the spot has gone.

#12 ohsailor

ohsailor

vegantastic.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 December 2011 - 11:33 AM

05.12--

okay, so feeling more positive today.

the spot on my cheek seems to be subsiding somewhat. its still red (along with the surrounding skin being very pink) but its not AS bad as it was and not as pronounced.

I've got a few "bobbly" bits of what feel like dried skin on my cheeks - upon further inspection, they seem to be uber, uber small whiteheads. I'm not particularly bothered with these...unless they grow and actually become noticeable!

Apart from the cheek, there's nothing else although the other night, I feel asleep on the sofa, and I hate to admit it, I drooled. Which usually leads to an outbreak of spots in the "drooled area". So I'm trying to expect it + not be super annoyed when it happens.

my red marks are still blatantly obvious but not as bad as they have been - i don't know what affects them and why (if only!) but they seem to get better one day, then get worse and then get better again. the body is a confusing thing.

i'm debating the merits of buying some paula's choice AHA gel when I get paid.

I have read lots of very positive reviews and think it could help me quite a lot. Obviously, due to postage and packaging prices plus the cost of the ACTUAL product, it's going to have to wait until xmas presents have all been bought and when my girlfriend's birthday has been paid for!

All in all, more of a positive outlook at the moment.

#13 tim12

tim12

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 05 December 2011 - 12:20 PM

Hey ohsailor! Just wanted to stop by and say hello, hoping that you're doing well!

I almost feel like I'm advertising spirulina, chlorella, and Ted's book, but I truly believe in them. It seems that the stress of acne is a huge part of this battle for you, so I think this book might help you tackle that first, as it's a vicious self sustaining cycle. Stress leading to more pimples, more pimples leading to stress, etc. Picking, popping, prodding, and abusing yourself in the mirror don't help either. I used to be a pretty obsessive picker, looking at some of my old pictures, I think it accounted for a good portion of my acne. With that said, here's the link to the book!

http://grossbart.com/SkinDeep.pdf

Also, if you make smoothies, I would reccomend NOW Haiwaiian spiruluna, the powdered version if you can since it's cheaper. When you want, I'd reccomend getting some chlorella too, Chlorella Fella has the best that I've found for it's price range that also isn't from shady places, and they openly post their testings of quality etc. There's a thread all about them here that you might want to look at, they're truly amazing foods! From treating malnourishment in third world countries, to detoxifying the body of PCBs, heavy metals, and radioactive elements, providing various vitamins and minerals as well as a full spectrum of amino acids, providing potent phytonutrients that improve your overall health, these are amazing foods!

http://www.acne.org/...lina-chlorella/

#14 ohsailor

ohsailor

vegantastic.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 December 2011 - 07:19 AM

Hi Tim :)

Thanks for your reply - I'm really intrigued to try Spirulina but my finances aren't great at the moment (Christmas, my fiance's birthday and also saving for a wedding are draining my bank account!) but I'm definitely going to purchase some soon.

That books looks really interesting and definitely something I'm going to read. I'm interested in topics regarding mental health etcetera, especially due to my eating problems. Thank you for providing that link.

I think stress leads to a lot of my issues with acne (especially when I consume triggering food like citrus, caffeine or gluten) because I obsess over my skin condition (I have heard of acne dysmorphia and wonder if this affects me...) and I worry and cry and worry even more, which then makes my skin even worse. Also, worry about other issues in my life (my eating, work, money etcetera) tends to make my skin worse as well.

Thank you for your information!

06.12 --

I can feel a painful area at the entrance to my nostril - not sure if this is going to become an actual spot so I'm not fretting. Yet!

Nothing else seems to have emerged either which is good.

I've been slack on drinking water but its so cold in the UK at the moment (our flat is quite chilly in the evenings and my office at work is FREEZING) so water drinking just makes me colder and feel uncomfortable. I'm afraid more tea has been consumed than water! Naughty naughty.

Fingers crossed my skin will be okay for Christmas!

#15 CocnutCaramel

CocnutCaramel

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 06 December 2011 - 08:24 AM

Hiya, I posted a (nice and respectful) reply in your "lack of protein, irregular meals"-thread, thought i'd "ping" you here since it seems you've abandoned that ship, wich is totally understandable since a few people were not being very nice and respectful of your veganism in there.

just keep going, I think you're gonna do awesome.

#16 ohsailor

ohsailor

vegantastic.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 December 2011 - 08:55 AM

^ Hey! Thanks for the reply :)

I did see your comment in my thread but I refrained from replying mainly due to feeling very insulted and belittled on an aspect of my life I did not request any comment on. I very much appreciate your positive comment on that thread - it was very nice to support me.

I will head on over to your log and have a read!

#17 ohsailor

ohsailor

vegantastic.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 January 2012 - 08:20 AM

......So I'm back using this log as my skin has become absolutely intolerable. Hideous.

I bought Paula's Choice BHA 2% Liquid and the 8% AHA gel after Christmas. But it's not working and I'm getting emotional and silly over how bad my skin is.

I've probably been drinking too much caffeine and having too many artificial sweetners....oops.

I'm unsure as to how to work the AHA/BHA combination so its been hit and miss. Spot treating with AHA hasn't gone well as I've got some lovely red patches on my skin further enhancing the red marks. D'oh.

So, today I'm trying this:

washing in the AM + PM with avene soapless gel cleanser
taking spirulina in the AM + PM
taking zinc in PM
using BHA every night and on every other day, using AHA
trying no tea at all...this is going to be hard for me and is guaranteed to be where I slip up because I have to drink tea with lots of sweetener.
as much water as possible

I was so close to crying at work. I look like a monster.

#18 ohsailor

ohsailor

vegantastic.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 January 2012 - 04:51 AM

last night, I bought some different vitamins to try and boost my lack of nutrients due to my limited diet.
so now I am taking a Women's Health vitamin, calcium + vitamin d, zinc, vitamin e and 3g of spirulina. I will be rattling soon with all these supplements!

my skin is okay this morning - only a small whitehead on my chin but its the red marks that get me down the most. Its disabling and I can't stand looking in the mirror.

My skin is very dry today as I did not exfoliate with a flannel this morning - I have been worrying that it has been aggravating my skin. But because of this epic dryness, I may try some gentle flannel exfoliation later to get rid of the dryness - it looks like ezcema on my chin at the moment - not attractive!

The "not drinking tea" rule has already died a death...I love my artificially sugary sweet tea Posted Image

I'm trying not to stress out today as much as I did yesterday (including the text messages I sent to my girlfriend about how disgusting I look Posted Image ) because I know stress really affects my skin.

I only used BHA last night as I'm sure the AHA gave me some red dry patches where I applied it - it burnt the other night Posted Image I may have to give the AHA a rest even if it supposedly helps with PIH because all I'm getting is red ezcema type patches where I put it on the night before.

#19 ohsailor

ohsailor

vegantastic.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 January 2012 - 05:07 AM

25.01 -

my red marks are looking awful today. really really obvious.

and i have a few small whiteheads on my chin. nothing major but just my skin tone is so awful and scarred. my face gets red very easily.

i'm carrying on with my vitamins dilligently, hoping that they will take effect sooner rather than later.

BHA was used again last night and I'm avoiding AHA for the meanwhile.

Trying not to stress but red marks are driving me crazy!

#20 ohsailor

ohsailor

vegantastic.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 January 2012 - 02:41 AM

27.01 -

used PC 8% glycolic acid again last night and whilst one pustule has come to a head, this was actually evident yesterday so was not caused by the aha. I'm actually feeling okay about my marks today - they don't seem to be as bad although it might be psychological rather than the aha actually helping!

I'm continuing to be dilligent in taking spirulina + the rest of my vitamins - maybe they are helping too?

Status today of my skin is okay - could be worse!