Photo

My Journey Begins - Approved For Accutane (W/pics)

fish oil

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
35 replies to this topic

#21 isisrising

isisrising

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:32 AM

Hello depressingface..
I actually think your skin looks pretty great!!! I am way too self-concious to post pics so I have been trying to be thorough with my descriptions. My log is in here somewhere... it's called "isisrising's accutane log". I'm still kind of new to the posting thing, so I sometimes have trouble navigating around. I know - the gunk is totally disgusting. The reason why I gravitated towards your posts is because you used to use Tazorac as well. With that, was your skin smoother? Mine was, and since stopping that and starting accutane, I feel like my skin is really rough. I don't know if I'm just feeling all the hardened oil coming out or what. I try not to worry or obsess too much about it. My clarisonic Mia is doing an OK job at smoothing some of this out. I am still able to use it at this point, my skin isn't too sensitive or dry... yet.
Take care!

#22 depressingface

depressingface

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 8
About Me

Posted 11 January 2012 - 06:27 PM

Thanks for the compliment. I can't stand this gunky stuff that I see coming out. When I was on Taz my face was smooth and crazy oily. Now on accutane I kind of compare it to sand paper (not as bad but you get the idea). Like, all the gunk makes like little mounds on my skin that feel rough, almost like sand paper. Once the gunk comes completely out its smooth. Well I keep updating my progress and ill see if I can find your blog.

I Started Accutane (Claravis) on December 20, 2011

Month 1 - 20mg once per day

Month 2- 40mg once per day

Month 3- 40mg once per day

Month 4- 60mg (20mg in the morning, 40mg at night)

Month 5- 80mg (40mg in the morning, 40mg at night)

DONE since June 15, 2012!

#23 lnymphl

lnymphl

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 January 2012 - 09:29 PM

Thanks for the compliment. I can't stand this gunky stuff that I see coming out. When I was on Taz my face was smooth and crazy oily. Now on accutane I kind of compare it to sand paper (not as bad but you get the idea). Like, all the gunk makes like little mounds on my skin that feel rough, almost like sand paper. Once the gunk comes completely out its smooth. Well I keep updating my progress and ill see if I can find your blog.

wow your skin looks great! I do hope this course will help you with the oiliness and under the surface acne.
I think 20mg is a good amount for just that. It's better to stick with a low dose in your situation then to risk it.

Good luck!

#24 depressingface

depressingface

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 January 2012 - 11:28 AM

Day 27: Still no crazy initial breakout. Small actives along the side burn area. My face doesn't feel smooth still bumpy and the gunky stuff continues to push its way out. The pimple on my nose bridge has shrunk alot but its still there. My facial oil is basically gone. No more blotting sheets for me! I do have chapped lips but the aquaphor continues to be enough. I am very happy with my results thus far. I go back to the dermatologist on January 18, 2012. Let's see if she ups my dose or if she keeps me at 20 mg a day.

#25 depressingface

depressingface

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 January 2012 - 09:07 PM

Day 30: First month over! I went to the dermatologist today. Blood work was all good except for my cholesterol. My cholesterol has risen but from what I have researched this is common when on accutane. My dermatologist said that it was expected. She also is happy with my first month progress and immediately commented that my face wasn't oily like it use to be. I told her the oiliness is completely gone. She then told me that my pores are going to get smaller. I am happy to hear that because I think mine are abnormally huge, especially on my nose.

My dermatologist put me on 40mg a day beginning tomorrow, my second month. I haven't had any crazy side effects while on only 20mg. I hope going up to 40mg wont bring too many drastic changes.

I am starting to get more actives along my jawline. These are bigger then the ones I was getting before. Ugh I hope it doesn't get any worst then this. The only good thing is I can hide them behind my hair. Check the picture out below.

Day 30 Jan. 18 2012

Edited by depressingface, 18 January 2012 - 09:10 PM.

#26 isisrising

isisrising

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 January 2012 - 08:44 AM

Hello depessingface!
I am happy to see your positive update! I am only a couple of days away from saying goodbye to month 1 as well! I went to the derm yesterday and she looked over my bloodwork - nothing out of the ordinary there. However, she wants to increase me from 30 mg/day to 60 mg/day! I was expecting only 40 mg, but she was happy with my progress and thought going to the full dose for my weight was the best way to go. I am hoping the side effects will stay manageable, and I hope my grumpiness will go away soon. I noticed that I need more rest these days to feel more patient. As far as the face goes, I have only one small new cyst along my jawline but it's aleady going down. I am happy that I'm worrying about my face less. Happy times!

#27 acascante

acascante

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6
About Me

Posted 24 January 2012 - 03:07 PM

@depressingface I really love reading your experience - I've had bad acne since I was a teenager, and as another 20-something, I'm really interested in knowing how you come along with the accutane.

#28 depressingface

depressingface

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 January 2012 - 07:57 PM

Day 42: Things are going well. My skin isn't bad at all. I thought I was going to have a crazy break out but I have yet to see anything big. I'm getting so excited at how clear I will get.

All the gunk in my pores has almost completely come out. My skin no longer feels sand paperish. I always thought I had sebaceous filaments on my nose. That's what everyone told me they were. Now I am starting to think they were black heads all along. My pores on my nose look smaller and they are no longer filled with black stuff.

I have had no hair loss. I don't have any dry patches of skin. I work out often and I don't have any crazy muscle or joint pains. My lips get dry but I thought it was going to be worst. They maybe cracked once the entire time I have been on accutane.I think it had a lot to do with me being outside, for several hours, on a very windy and cold day.

The acne on my chest is pretty much non existent. The acne on my back has got so much better. There is still a lot of room for improvement.

I am very happy with my accutance progress and I know it should only get better. I really wish I would of made this decision sooner.

Thanks asascante. I will keep updating often. Isisrising I hope all is going well with your journey.

#29 depressingface

depressingface

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 February 2012 - 06:22 PM

Day 52: I am breaking out on the left side of my face. I have noticed that my pimples are not going away quickly. Ugh this sucks. I try to hide them behind my hair. Oh well I just have to deal with it. I also notice these pimples don't usually have the pus stuff inside. They tend to be hard to the touch, and slightly painful. They seem deeper then the pimples I use to get which is probably why it takes longer for them to go away.

As far as side effects. My lips are dry but not cracked. My eyes tend to be dry when I wake up in the morning but its not bad. My hair isn't as shiny as it use to be but at least I have not suffered any hair loss. My mood remains the same and I have not experienced any muscle or joint pains.

2 9 2012 Day 52A

2 9 2012 Day 52

Edited by depressingface, 09 February 2012 - 06:53 PM.

#30 depressingface

depressingface

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 February 2012 - 04:56 PM

Day 61: I had a pretty bad break out on the left side of my face. I am just getting over it. Hoping that things get better and better from here. I went to the dermatologist this past week. She is going to keep my on 40mg again this month. My biggest side effect has been waking up with dry eyes in the mornings. But other then that the other side effects are not really bad. Lips are dry but bearable. No joint or muscle pain.

#31 depressingface

depressingface

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:47 PM

Day 70: I was hoping to have clearer skin by now but it seems to be staying the same. It seems like my pimples are sticking around longer. Before my pimples would have the white pus center that was visibly seen. Now the pimples seem to be deeper and stick around longer. I can't even pop (I know I shouldn't) because there is no center.

Maybe I am just depressed. We have picture day at work this week. I have two huge pimples on my face that I can't hide behing my hair. There is also redness from old zits. I was hoping that things would have been better by now but nope not at all. Things to be the same.

I feel like I am on the wrong dosage. I weigh 168 lbs and I am 5'4. I know my acne was not bad to begin with but I figured the dosage would be equivalent to what someone my weight should be taking. My derm says she wants to put me on 60mg for month 4, 80mg for month 5, and then finish month 5 with 40mg.

Edited by depressingface, 27 February 2012 - 06:48 PM.

#32 depressingface

depressingface

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 April 2012 - 02:22 PM

I started month 5 on April 17, 2012. I just started 80 mg and I just broke out on the left side of my face. It looks terrible. I can't believe this. How do I get rid of the redness or make this go away quicker. :(

Month 5 Day 5

#33 allrighty

allrighty

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 21 June 2012 - 11:33 PM

hows ur face going?

#34 nick :)

nick :)

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:30 PM

Ahh good luck! I hope everything works out the way you want it to!

& you're lucky to not have PIH... it sucks so bad and I'm suffering from it after accutane:(

My accutane log

started November 9th, 2011!

ended April 31, 2012!

So, so, so happy :)

#35 mandalina

mandalina

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:57 AM

Hi depressingface!

Im new on this forum, Im french so sorry for english! Im wondering how is your skin, now? do you still have enlarged and clogged pores? I have exactly the same skin that you had and I will begin accutane soon so I need some informations..

Thank you ..

#36 whoartthou1

whoartthou1

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:54 AM

what dosage are you on?