Photo

What Are Your Intolerances?

intolerances allergies stuff that makes you go blegh gluten

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
38 replies to this topic

#21 spectacled_owl

spectacled_owl

With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 November 2011 - 01:29 PM

Corgi, I think cashews are legumes not nuts (like peanuts) that may be why you can tolerate them.

I'm still in testing phase of my intolerable foods... I don't do very good at it unless I really commit. Otherwise I just eat whatever. Oops.

However, I too have OAS so I avoid raw nuts, esp almonds and hazelnuts, and dates, apples and cherries. If those items are cooked though they are fine. Macadamias actually seem to be OK raw. I'm actually not a big nut fan anyway.

I am starting to think that coffee bothers me... just avoided it for a week and am having a cup right now. Let's see how that goes.

Grains and soy definitely make me feel sick. Corn not too bad though.

Sugar and carbs and maybe fiber. I am really sensitive to them it seems. I have to have ample fat and protein with every meal and feel jittery if I don't. Unless it's right after a workout, I keep them minimal. If I do "gorge" on them, my skin gets noticeably oilier and like I said, I feel jittery. Even eating a big salad, if there's not a big slab of meat with fat, my stomach will feel lousy too.

Dairy is probably not good for me, but I refuse to accept it :( I love cream and butter and cheese darnit. Milk I can live without... but not cream and butter! Nooo. I have to do a serious elimination of ALL dairy, then add stuff back in one at a time.

As for substitutions, if it were a case like I wanted coffee with some cream, I'd just use nothing or maybe some coconut milk. I don't really sub anything, I just avoid it and eat more of what I do like.

#22 FaceValues

FaceValues

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 16
About Me

Achievements

Posted 17 November 2011 - 01:49 PM

Corgi, I think cashews are legumes not nuts (like peanuts) that may be why you can tolerate them.

I'm still in testing phase of my intolerable foods... I don't do very good at it unless I really commit. Otherwise I just eat whatever. Oops.

However, I too have OAS so I avoid raw nuts, esp almonds and hazelnuts, and dates, apples and cherries. If those items are cooked though they are fine. Macadamias actually seem to be OK raw. I'm actually not a big nut fan anyway.

I am starting to think that coffee bothers me... just avoided it for a week and am having a cup right now. Let's see how that goes.

Grains and soy definitely make me feel sick. Corn not too bad though.

Sugar and carbs and maybe fiber. I am really sensitive to them it seems. I have to have ample fat and protein with every meal and feel jittery if I don't. Unless it's right after a workout, I keep them minimal. If I do "gorge" on them, my skin gets noticeably oilier and like I said, I feel jittery. Even eating a big salad, if there's not a big slab of meat with fat, my stomach will feel lousy too.

Dairy is probably not good for me, but I refuse to accept it Posted Image I love cream and butter and cheese darnit. Milk I can live without... but not cream and butter! Nooo. I have to do a serious elimination of ALL dairy, then add stuff back in one at a time.

As for substitutions, if it were a case like I wanted coffee with some cream, I'd just use nothing or maybe some coconut milk. I don't really sub anything, I just avoid it and eat more of what I do like.

How funny, I was just looking up sources of 'good fat' so that I'll have more options than nuts and avocados to eat with supplements/fruit. Looks like my other options, according to these sites, are things like 'vegetable spread' or 'canola oil'. Coconut and animal fats, of course, are bad.

I actually have a pot of soup with lamb/chicken broth, some veggies, and goat butter so I'm golden on fats atm. I usually just don't have meat on hand until dinnertime. Cashews are legumes, eh? They're probably not very good for me then (I don't soak mine either, probably should start doing that...) but I like something crunchy and bland yet with some flavor every so often and I'm not about to pick up some crackers or bread for toast. My veggie pulp pizza crust with soaked flax meal has been treating me well but unless i'm making a pizza it's not good for snacking on its own.

#23 moonbase

moonbase

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 November 2011 - 02:23 PM

I'm intolerant to clowns, and ignorance

#24 this is julie

this is julie

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 17 November 2011 - 02:57 PM

1. List foods that your body doesn't manage well, acne 'trigger' foods, or any general indigestible that gives you some side-effect.

Chocolate , Chocolate , Chocolate , actually anything thats sugary

2. List foods you replace with the ones listed above.

Apples lol

just wondering about this
aren't apples full of sugar?

#25 spectacled_owl

spectacled_owl

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 November 2011 - 02:58 PM

'vegetable spread' or 'canola oil'

Not sure if I'm intolerant to those, but I am grossed out by them! Srsly... even when I was a kid margarine scared me. Plus I'm always trying to share recipes with people and I'm like "Lard, lots and lots of butter and lard and cream." That's all my recipes : ) Then their response is usually "Aww you skinny little thing you can get away with it now, but you should switch to a healthy oil, like soybean!" Barrrf.

Nuts aren't necessarily bad, they just don't sit well with me if I have too much/too often. Although with the exception of macas, most nuts are very high in omega 6 or just have a bad 3-6 ratio, plus they also contain high levels of phytates if not properly soaked. Mark Sisson did a great post about them (and a great one on oils too).

p.s. your soup sounds yummy and we should swap pizza crust recipes Posted Image

Forgot to ask, where do you get goat butter?

Edited by spectacled_owl, 17 November 2011 - 03:15 PM.

#26 FaceValues

FaceValues

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 17 November 2011 - 03:23 PM

'vegetable spread' or 'canola oil'

Not sure if I'm intolerant to those, but I am grossed out by them! Srsly... even when I was a kid margarine scared me. Plus I'm always trying to share recipes with people and I'm like "Lard, lots and lots of butter and lard and cream." That's all my recipes : ) Then their response is usually "Aww you skinny little thing you can get away with it now, but you should switch to a healthy oil, like soybean!" Barrrf.

Nuts aren't necessarily bad, they just don't sit well with me if I have too much/too often. Although with the exception of macas, most nuts are very high in omega 6 or just have a bad 3-6 ratio, plus they also contain high levels of phytates if not properly soaked. Mark Sisson did a great post about them (and a great one on oils too).

p.s. your soup sounds yummy and we should swap pizza crust recipes Posted Image

Forgot to ask, where do you get goat butter?

I get it from a co-op a couple blocks away, a company called meyenberg makes it. I'm trying to go dairy free altogether for the time being but kefir/goat products I'll always readily introduce as needed.

#27 spectacled_owl

spectacled_owl

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 November 2011 - 03:48 PM

Yeah cultured dairy is good stuff. I need to try some goat butter.

#28 chunkylard

chunkylard

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 November 2011 - 12:25 PM

Gluten and artichokes

#29 FaceValues

FaceValues

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 21 November 2011 - 10:08 PM

Sooo...I was tested for allergies earlier today via a technique called Muscle Testing, or Applied Kinesiology. Basically my arm got a strap around it while I was lying down and digitally synthesized versions of various allergens were sent through my skin while a practitioner tried to lift my left arm and I tried to resist by keeping it firmly atop the table in a "karate chop" position (when I asked the practitioner about the strap she said she couldn't explain it to me and that the company which had made the technology wouldn't release information about it because their patent was pending....great). Then I was "treated" for an array of sugars which were a reaction for me. Sitting upright facing out a window, the strap still in place on my right arm, this chick put some massage tool that made knocking motions up and down my spine as I was instructed to breathe in and out. When I was sent home with my results on a piece of paper, many foods that had been listed on the website were missing (nightshades, citrus fruit, nuts, a lot of ones I had expected to be tested for). I'm wondering if it was because at one point I was asked if there was anything specific I'd like to be tested for ("this database seriously has every food"). Thinking I had already been tested for every single food listed on the website I offered "lamb (which was silly of me as it's hypoallergenic), fish, and seafood" all of which I didn't show a reaction to (i.e. was able to keep my arm firmly against the table I was lying). Anyway, despite this unconventional process which Quackwatch isn't too keen on (looked it up just now) and I probably won't be making any follow-up appointments with (having felt like I was denied full information), here are my results (there's no spectrum or scale, just whether or not there was a reaction with each one).

plus=reaction
minus=no reaction

FOODS
+Food Phenolics
+Eggs
+Chicken/Turkey
-Protein
-Meat
+Calcium
+Milk/Dairy
-Vitamin C
-B-Complex
-Vitamin A
+Iron
+Minerals
+Sugars (treated)
+Wheat/Gluten
+Corn
-Yeast
+Caffeine
+Coffee
+Chocolate
+Soy
-Glutamates/MSG
+Amines
-Salicylates
-Artifical Preservatives
-Artificial Colors
-Artificial Flavors

AIRBORNES
+Pollens
+Trees
-Grasses
-Weeds
-Flowers
-Plants
+Plant Phenolics
+Molds
+Fungus
+Dust
+Dust Mites
+Dogs
+Cats

I sent them an email about feeling like I wasn't given all the information the website advertised and it was an interesting experience and all...I'm just pretty confused. I'm not going to be tripping over myself in the direction of MSG just because I didn't "react" to it...I'm glad I didn't pay for this myself. If I were ever to do something like this again, I'd do a little more research about the most effective method of testing (blood tests even have a 25% margin for error...).

Bleh.

#30 dejaclairevoyant

dejaclairevoyant

~clean body, beautiful life~

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 November 2011 - 12:49 PM

Interesting results. But a reaction to calcium??? Uh..... I get the milk/dairy part, but calcium?

#31 FaceValues

FaceValues

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 23 November 2011 - 08:07 PM

Interesting results. But a reaction to calcium??? Uh..... I get the milk/dairy part, but calcium?

I was confused about "minerals" and the practitioner explained how many breakfast cereals are fortified with minerals, etc. I used to eat a lot of that kind of thing so it makes sense, in a way. I don't think eating say, broccoli (excellent source of calcium) will cause any kind of reaction.

#32 Balance Bird

Balance Bird

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 November 2011 - 07:50 AM

I hope to be getting a blood test soonsies!

#33 Chestercool

Chestercool

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 November 2011 - 09:27 AM

I cant say what im specific intolerant to, im gonna make some experiments after i get clear, well suspect from some foods specifically

Bananas!! burger king,soy,rum, religion fanatics who believe the bible is real and racism

- it was very hard to replace gluten since i used to go to the gym and i dont want to lose all the muscle i had gained,

basically sweet potatoes, avocado, some brown rice even though its a grain, much more fruits and a multivitaminic (dairy, gluten free)

Edited by Chestercool, 26 November 2011 - 09:30 AM.

#34 FaceValues

FaceValues

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 29 January 2012 - 08:49 PM

bump for old time's sake

#35 Lola Burns

Lola Burns

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 January 2012 - 09:28 PM

My body rejects white rice, MSGs, coconut, and shrimp.

None of those things were ever a huge part of my diet, so I didn't really have to replace them. Although, I do love coconut shrimp :(

Oh! And soda! It doesn't make me breakout but it does make me feel like shit. I replaced that with matcha green tea, white tea, rooibos, POM Blueberry, apple juice and orange juice.

Edited by Lola Burns, 29 January 2012 - 09:37 PM.

#36 jennifer36

jennifer36

every moment is a gift of life

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 19
About Me

Achievements

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:08 PM

1. List foods that your body doesn't manage well, acne 'trigger' foods, or any general indigestible that gives you some side-effect.

2. List foods you replace with the ones listed above.

1. Dairy (I'm lactose intolerant as well as it triggering acne), soy, citrus, gluten (stomach pain as well as acne), eggs, peanuts, refined sugars, high sodium, potentially corn, grains with little to no nutritional value.

2. Almond milk, less refined sugars (honey, raw sugars, organic agave), lots of fruits, vegetables, almond butter, weird chips (hemp & sesame baked chips), healthy gluten free alternatives to cereals, quinoa.

I just try to eat larger quantities of foods I enjoy that I consider to be "safe" foods. Mostly because my diet mainly consists of low calorie foods and I need to prevent any further weight loss. Since I've been eating this way for a few months and I started it off with a full 30 days of no bad foods at all I don't find it too hard to avoid anything I need to avoid. Also I drink mass quantities of a large variety of different teas.

Edited by jennifer36, 30 January 2012 - 10:11 PM.

#37 alexisc

alexisc

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:46 PM

It's hard to know what I am truly intolerant to or allergic to. Some foods give me severe migraine, some give me acne and some give me both. I have a suspicion the acne and migraines are related to digestive issues. Most likely leaky gut or some kind of bad bacterial overgrowth.

For migraines: Vinegar, chocolate, coffee, tea of any kind decaf or not, magnesium supplements, zinc supplements, papaya, lemons, alcohol, msg, additives.
For acne: Whole wheat anything, alcohol, sugar, milk, butter, coffee, chocolate, chicken or fish oil gave me cysts, and at the moment strong probiotics gave me a massive breakout when I am normally clear. Not sure if it was a die off reaction or I was reacting to the fact they may have come into contact with milk. In any case I stopped those! I have yet to try yoghurt but cheese and eggs seem to be no problem so I don't think I am allergic to all dairy.

I really wish I could take an allergy test and find out if any other foods are causing a reaction in me. It's hard to tell because in order to get a migraine I might need to eat more than one of my offending foods on a given day depending on how my tolerance is. It is easier to see with acne what I am bothered by because normally I am clear. If I add something in and wake up the next day with a warning zit, I know not to eat that food. I'm still going through the process of finding out what I can and can't eat. It is tedious.

Edited by alexisc, 30 January 2012 - 10:48 PM.

#38 whoartthou1

whoartthou1

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:11 AM

I wonder how most people would react to goat milk... goat cheese... and goat butter?

#39 Ben Lee

Ben Lee

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 March 2013 - 05:08 PM

Intolerant to SUGAR, DAIRY(most likely,...), GLUTEN, and NIGHTSHADES.  I react mildly to oranges so I don't eat them.  But I do okay with lemons and limes.  smile.png  Certain beans (such as garbanzo and navy), and most tropical fruits.  Oh and almonds.  I'm okay with almond milk though.

I didn't really replace these things.  I just readjusted, and changed my LIFESTYLE.

smile.png

I eat more eggs, meat, veggies, and fruit now. 

Edited by Ben Lee, 22 March 2013 - 05:16 PM.