Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sulphur for blocked pores?

11 posts in this topic

Hi, blackheads are caused by the sebum that your oil glands produce, mixed with bacteria and dead skin cells that cause blocked pores. When it runs into oxygen it turns black. Sulfur is used as a drying agent, and blackheads are already dry, so theoretically, it would not help. I'm just spouting off science and logic though, methinks you should find a product with salicylic acid in it. (And without alcohol)

The use of solar energy has not been opened up because the oil industry does not own the sun. ~Ralph Nader

http://www.nrdc.org/bushrecord/default.asp

[image removed by sigbot--see board rules]

There aren't many other options for disinfecting the skin. Alcohol and sulfur can be good disinfectants, but they are also too drying and irritating and that can make matters for skin worse and hurt the skin’s ability to heal. (Sources: American Journal of Clinical Dermatology, April 2004, pages 217-223 and Cosmetics & Toiletries Magazine, March 2004, page 6; and Infection, March-April 1995, pages 89-93).

This is fascinating to me. I've found websites that recommend sulphur soap for rosacea-prone skin. If it's drying and irritating, it should be the LAST thing sensitive people should be using. It sounds nasty to me.

Hi, blackheads are caused by the sebum that your oil glands produce, mixed with bacteria and dead skin cells that cause blocked pores. When it runs into oxygen it turns black. Sulfur is used as a drying agent, and blackheads are already dry, so theoretically, it would not help. I'm just spouting off science and logic though, methinks you should find a product with salicylic acid in it. (And without alcohol)

Isopropyl alcohol is just very drying, but in the product there you would probably want that. By the way you asked the same thing in like 3 different threads. blink.gif

The use of solar energy has not been opened up because the oil industry does not own the sun. ~Ralph Nader

http://www.nrdc.org/bushrecord/default.asp

I am currently trying a new mask from Origins called "Clear improvemnt" It is a charchol mask and my dad who is health freak said that charchol is good for extracting toxins and impurites. ( Since I and clear at the moment I won't be able to tell you if it work or not unless it dosen't and I get a pimple) It think that a sulfer mask would be best to spot treat over night to dry out pimples.

John 15:7 "If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given you."

I realize this topic is years old, but to answer the original question for maybe someone else who is wondering - yes, it does.

Here's a great article: http://www.acnecuretreatments.com/Acne-Tre...e-Treatment.htm

It basically states that sulfur is comedolytic, which means that it opens up pores. It is also antibacterial and keratolytic (exfoliating).

In my experience, sulfur masks really work wonders clearing up blackheads, clogged pores, and those gigantic red pimples.