Photo

Sulphur for blocked pores?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 Green_Vegetable_Man

Green_Vegetable_Man

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 September 2004 - 12:49 AM

DOES SULPHUR WORK FOR BLACKHEADS

user posted image
[image removed by sigbot--see board rules]

#2 oldguy

oldguy

moderation

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 18
About Me

Posted 12 September 2004 - 01:01 AM

Hi, blackheads are caused by the sebum that your oil glands produce, mixed with bacteria and dead skin cells that cause blocked pores. When it runs into oxygen it turns black. Sulfur is used as a drying agent, and blackheads are already dry, so theoretically, it would not help. I'm just spouting off science and logic though, methinks you should find a product with salicylic acid in it. (And without alcohol)
The use of solar energy has not been opened up because the oil industry does not own the sun. ~Ralph Nader
http://www.nrdc.org/...ord/default.asp

#3 frances

frances

This isn't Kansas, Toto

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 14
About Me

Posted 12 September 2004 - 01:01 AM

There aren't many other options for disinfecting the skin. Alcohol and sulfur can be good disinfectants, but they are also too drying and irritating and that can make matters for skin worse and hurt the skin’s ability to heal. (Sources: American Journal of Clinical Dermatology, April 2004, pages 217-223 and Cosmetics & Toiletries Magazine, March 2004, page 6; and Infection, March-April 1995, pages 89-93).

By the way, topical disinfectants such as benzoyl peroxide or topical antibiotics available by prescription do not help in the treatment of blackheads and milia because there is no bacterial involvement related to these conditions.

from cosmetics cop

I don't think sulfur has exfoliating properities. I have however seen that on Makeupalley DDF do a sulphur mask which has a very good consumer rating. Personally I have found any treatments containing sulfur to be very irritating...but my skin is naturally dry and sensitive.

Here is a good read about clogged pores and blackheads...

http://www.cosmetics...EFER=SKIN&ID=71

#4 oldguy

oldguy

moderation

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 September 2004 - 01:07 AM

Hah! My post was first. cool.gif
The use of solar energy has not been opened up because the oil industry does not own the sun. ~Ralph Nader

#5 frances

frances

This isn't Kansas, Toto

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 14
About Me

Posted 12 September 2004 - 01:12 AM

I humbly bow to your higher speed internet connection. bb_razz.gif

#6 mikhael

mikhael

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 September 2004 - 05:16 AM

This is fascinating to me. I've found websites that recommend sulphur soap for rosacea-prone skin. If it's drying and irritating, it should be the LAST thing sensitive people should be using. It sounds nasty to me.

#7 OursFan

OursFan

~ Tamara

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 September 2004 - 09:38 AM

I second the suggestion for Salicylic Acid.
~ Tamara

You cannot perceive beauty but with a serene mind.
- Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862)

Visit My Claravis Journal

#8 Green_Vegetable_Man

Green_Vegetable_Man

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 September 2004 - 11:33 AM

QUOTE (oldguy @ Sep 11 2004, 11:48 PM)
Hi, blackheads are caused by the sebum that your oil glands produce, mixed with bacteria and dead skin cells that cause blocked pores. When it runs into oxygen it turns black. Sulfur is used as a drying agent, and blackheads are already dry, so theoretically, it would not help. I'm just spouting off science and logic though, methinks you should find a product with salicylic acid in it. (And without alcohol)

user posted image

Thanks oldguy. What would be the problem with alcohol in an SA preparation?

The product shoun below has alcohol

Zit Zapper is a unique clinical formula that can dry out pimples in as little as 8 hours.

This intensive pimple treatment has been scientifically developed to rapidly dry out spots while you sleep. Apply it directly to the offending pimple and wake up the very next morning with the confidence of clear, spot free skin.

A potent combination of 5, fast-working, high performance and yet natural zit zapping ingredients work to:
* Deeply exfoliate and unclog skin pores;
* Dry our spots;
* Cleanse out the affected area;
* Calm inflammation.

For healthy, glowing spot-free skin ... FAST!

Directions
For overnight results:
Apply Zit Zapper to affected areas before bedtime.

Ingredients
Isopropyl alcohol, water, zinc sulfate, salicylic acid, glycolic acid, camphor, Hamamelis virginiana (Witch Hazel) extract, Hydroxypropyl methylcellulose, menthol.

#9 oldguy

oldguy

moderation

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 September 2004 - 11:51 AM

Isopropyl alcohol is just very drying, but in the product there you would probably want that. By the way you asked the same thing in like 3 different threads. blink.gif

#10 Dices15

Dices15

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 September 2004 - 03:19 PM

I am currently trying a new mask from Origins called "Clear improvemnt" It is a charchol mask and my dad who is health freak said that charchol is good for extracting toxins and impurites. ( Since I and clear at the moment I won't be able to tell you if it work or not unless it dosen't and I get a pimple) It think that a sulfer mask would be best to spot treat over night to dry out pimples.
John 15:7 "If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given you."

#11 DecoDolly

DecoDolly

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 August 2011 - 08:24 PM

I realize this topic is years old, but to answer the original question for maybe someone else who is wondering - yes, it does.

Here's a great article: http://www.acnecuret...e-Treatment.htm

It basically states that sulfur is comedolytic, which means that it opens up pores. It is also antibacterial and keratolytic (exfoliating).

In my experience, sulfur masks really work wonders clearing up blackheads, clogged pores, and those gigantic red pimples.