vitamin vitamins pantothenic pantothenic acid vitamin a zinc oily skin

5 replies to this topic

#1 MustKillAcne

MustKillAcne

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 November 2011 - 10:43 PM

I'm thinking of starting Vitamin A to treat my adult hormonal acne and oily skin (which I think is caused by excess androgens) , and I was wondering if the daily recommended dosage (10,000 IU?) along with 500mg pantothenic acid a day is sufficient to combat my acne. I do not want to increase my pantothenic acid dosage as I'm already experiencing some hair loss and hair thinning.

Also I've been taking 50mg zinc daily for about 3 months now, but I read somwhere that it's actually a testesterone booster? And I certainly haven't seen a decrease in my acne. Should I stop taking the zinc if I have excess androgens?

#2 venusiscursed

venusiscursed

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 November 2011 - 10:53 PM

That's a good question! If only somebody would know! It seems that everybody recommends something different, and in the process one spends so much money! Which is it? Is it vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin K, or vitamin B6? Why not just take a multi-vitamin, which I already do and to no avail? Is it benzoly peroxide? Nope, it dries me up. So does salycic acid. Hydrocortisone helped a little, but I hear that they say that is terrible for the skin. Anti bacterial cream is good for after popping a pimple, but that's about it. Which is it, when will we win this war?

That's a good question! If only somebody would know! It seems that everybody recommends something different, and in the process one spends so much money! Which is it? Is it vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin K, or vitamin B6? Why not just take a multi-vitamin, which I already do and to no avail? Is it benzoly peroxide? Nope, it dries me up. So does salycic acid. Hydrocortisone helped a little, but I hear that they say that is terrible for the skin. Anti bacterial cream is good for after popping a pimple, but that's about it. Which is it, when will we win this war? I know I sound angry and frustrated.... I am. Posted Image Not at you, though.... at my acne!!! Anyway, if you find the solution that works, please do share!!

#3 this is julie

this is julie

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 08 November 2011 - 10:11 AM

I have the same question about zinc!

Although the earth is made of dirt, I have seen the most beautiful flowers blossom from it's soil.

#4 cln

cln

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Kung Fu, Skiing, Sewing, Travel, Tennis, Cycling

Achievements

Posted 08 November 2011 - 11:21 AM

I just finished reading the "clear skin diet" and the aurthor says that Zinc (gluconate), Selenium, Chromium and Fish oil (EPA) are all deficient in the acne patient. You would take all these in addition to a very clean, low glycemic, dairy free diet.
Following the Clear Skin Diet:
-Low glycemic, no dairy, no sugars, no refined/processed foods, lots of colorful veggies and lean meats
-8 hours of sleep
-Exercise 5-6 days/week
-Supplements: Vit E, Zinc, Selenium, Chromium, Fish Oil (EPA), EGCG (from green tea extract)
-Talking with friends who suffer with acne: It helps to help others
-Low dose Retin A (.025%) and glycolic toner

#5 this is julie

this is julie

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 09 November 2011 - 07:37 AM

Can anyone explain the zinc/bcp correlation?

Although the earth is made of dirt, I have seen the most beautiful flowers blossom from it's soil.

#6 chunkylard

chunkylard

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 November 2011 - 04:12 PM

I'm thinking of starting Vitamin A to treat my adult hormonal acne and oily skin (which I think is caused by excess androgens) , and I was wondering if the daily recommended dosage (10,000 IU?) along with 500mg pantothenic acid a day is sufficient to combat my acne. I do not want to increase my pantothenic acid dosage as I'm already experiencing some hair loss and hair thinning.

Also I've been taking 50mg zinc daily for about 3 months now, but I read somwhere that it's actually a testesterone booster? And I certainly haven't seen a decrease in my acne. Should I stop taking the zinc if I have excess androgens?

Testosterone =/= Dihydrotestosterone
Testosterone good, DHT bad.
Zinc decreases DHT.
After suffering with acne since age 11, finally found my triggers 11 years later.
Clear for almost 1 year & in control of my acne, although due to some hyperpigmentation, I believed I was still breaking out. In fact, I thought I had just cleared up a few months ago, but after realizing my "breakouts" were simply scarring I also realized I was technically clear for much longer than I thought. Rare breakouts only whenever I get lazy with my diet.

The Cure for Acne:
-Avoid the Acne Trifecta: Soy, Gluten, and Dairy like the plague.
-Eat a Low-GI diet and avoid Sugar.
-Eat lots of protein and healthy fats (ANTIBIOTIC FREE/NO HORMONES ADDED/FREE RANGE/HUMANELY SLAUGHTERED)
-Get lots of green vegetables and sunshine.
-Supplement whenever possible. Due to how much we've ruined food in the past 60 years, the amount of nutrients found in food nowadays is lower than it was decades ago.
-Exercise, get sunshine, and avoid stressful situations.
-Don't fear food. Go out & eat. It's not good for the skin, but it's good for the soul.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users